Title nerves starting to creep in.......

eddiepolio

Indeed. The noise when Paterson passed it back to Ozturk at one point... you'd think he'd just put a Livi striker through on goal.

That one in particular was obvious.

It's just Hearts fans/Scottish football fans don't want possession football. Git it up to the big lad.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arnold Rothstein

That one in particular was obvious.

It's just Hearts fans/Scottish football fans don't want possession football. Git it up to the big lad.

It's bonkers. We're 20 points clear having lost one game all season; we must be doing something right ffs. People are just used to moaning at the football.

It's bonkers. We're 20 points clear having lost one game all season; we must be doing something right ffs. People are just used to moaning at the football.

I completely agree.

I do think it's an education piece for Scottish Football fans. I think we need to learn that keeping the ball is good. Trying a hopeful forward pass that isn't on is bad. We just need to learn that the longer we have the ball, the better. Chances will come.

Or where we just a bit rubbish in the second half?

just rubbish

and they need to sort that out

too slow but overall I'm still very happy

All roads lead to Gorgie

It would be a lot easier if Hearts fans were okay with us passing the ball and retaining possession.

I think a lot of the frustration was that we were not very good at either today but it would help if the crowd were more encouraging and I think sitting in silence is more of a problem just now.

Not sure if the pitch being bumpy caused unforced errors or what. Some players like Paterson in particular just can't control a ball with first touch either.

Cant blame the pitch as livvy had to play on same pitch.

I am just glad we got such lead as nerves are creeping in and can see us dropping points soon enough.

thought Zeefuik was total shit today  :rifle:  :rifle:

Whenever there is a possibility of him scoring he looks like he wakes up and puts in a huge burst to get on the ball.  He's quick when he wants to be.  Also his hold up play can be really good - he nearly played others in a couple of times today.

At other times - e.g. when the opposition have the ball or when our defenders are looking for an out ball say down the line... he prefers to stand still and not get involved.  Keatings very frustrated with Zeefuik not doing any closing down at all at one point today. 

Voice of reason

We have changed our shape and it doesn't suit the players, IMO. We also lack something without Sow, don't know what but he brings something and it gets the best out everyone around him.

Totally agree with this. We really miss Sow. Our best performances have virtually all been when he's been the focal point of our play. He seems to be the glue that allows the midfield/strikers to work as a cohesive unit and we seem to attack quicker when he's there. I really hope he's back next week.

There will be a lot more games like this as we close the season out. It would be a lot easier if Hearts fans were okay with us passing the ball and retaining possession.

I think we are mate.

It's that passing the ball and losing possession that seems to be more prevalent now that earlier in the season that appears to be causing the unrest.

20 wins

3 draws

1 (yes, ONE) defeat

in 24 league games....

There's just no pleasing some folk!

Some folk just need the certainty we had in 1965 and 1986.

Having been there on both occasions I can fully understand why.

I think we are mate.

It's that passing the ball and losing possession that seems to be more prevalent now that earlier in the season that appears to be causing the unrest.

Don't agree. The support was groaning and moaning at ball retention today. This led to us being more direct, then the same moaners moaned again.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

IMO if we could get a fit Sow or Carrick back our performances would match our results again. 

They've clearly both got persistent problems with their fitness.

Don't agree. The support was groaning and moaning at ball retention today. This led to us being more direct, then the same moaners moaned again.

Yep, multiple times I heard people shouting "get it up the park" and then minutes later hear them shouting "play some football Hearts", baffling.

This was all punctuated with some really enlightened comments about Sekajja.

The performances will pick up as the finishing post comes in to view. I'm not saying that it's acceptable at the moment but we're in a strange position being so far ahead. My brother put it well to me earlier by comparing it to the second leg of a cup tie when you've won the first leg four nil. We just need to chill a bit and enjoy the run in.

Shouldn't be any title nerves as the leage is won - even Jeff on SSN says so.  We should be able to play with the freedom of having no pressure being put on us by Rangers or Hibs but we've been pish for many weeks now.  I think it's a combination of players losing confidence and teams sussing us out since earlier in the season when wewere ripping most of the smaller teams a new one.  The performances in the 2 previous Livi games (plus today by the sound of it) and the Falkirk game have been brutal and we've done well to take the number of points we have..

When we have possession we need to release it earlier IMO. I'm not a "Get it forward" guy but there's a time and place for the short pass and holding on to the ball. We were guilty, today of passing the ball backwards or holding onto it when there was a decent forward pass on. We seem to play better away from home and, in particular against the better teams. However, unlike our title rivals we aren't losing or dropping points. another half dozen or so 1-0 wins will do me.

When we have possession we need to release it earlier IMO. I'm not a "Get it forward" guy but there's a time and place for the short pass and holding on to the ball. We were guilty, today of passing the ball backwards or holding onto it when there was a decent forward pass on. We seem to play better away from home and, in particular against the better teams. However, unlike our title rivals we aren't losing or dropping points. another half dozen or so 1-0 wins will do me.

Completely disagree with this. We played smart football when we tried to retain it.

We've earned the right to a few below par performances-today was one though we still could have won 5 nil.

20 points clear.

Jambof3tornado

We have played most teams 3 times now. Teams know what we can do and set up to stop us doing what we do.

Shock and awe had been replaced by odd goal victories.

1 nils the rest of the season and we are champions.

Who is a Rangers games in hand against?

QoS, Raith and Cowdenbeath I think.  I could see them dropping points against QoS, maybe even Raith, who beat them at Ibrox last week.

There's no need for us to be nervous, as things stand we need 24 points from the remaining 12 games to guarantee the title, that assumes Rangers win their remaining 15 games.

That's the same Rangers who have dropped 22 points from 21 games played to date, 14 of those dropped points coming in the last 9 games.  That's 13 points they have picked up from the last 27.

But they will somehow find a new lease of life and go on a remarkable winning streak from now until the end of the season?

Meanwhile, we have dropped 9 points from 24 games, and need to drop 13 points from our remaining 12 games for Rangers to catch us, assuming they achieve their 15 straight wins.

We might not be winning as convincingly as we were in the early part of the season, but we still are not dropping many points, even when we play below par.

The issues from the fans is nerves, despite all the bravado on here when you put the masses in tynie nervousness from fans get them shouting.

We all just want to win this league asap.

The players performances have dropped as their intensity isnt there cause they see the finish.

Zeefuik doesn't seem to hot when he is given time to think.

His chipped pass back today and his penalty on his debut at Dumbarton are prime examples.

Seems to be more of an instinctive player.

He's certainly not a grafter that's for sure. He does have some nice touches and in some games he has brought the ball down well on his chest and linked well with others but he really does need to work the opposition defenders better than he does at the moment.

Perhaps Robbie has told him not to do the chasing but if he did it would help his get rid of some of the excess baggage he is carrying.

wattie exploited

Whenever there is a possibility of him scoring he looks like he wakes up and puts in a huge burst to get on the ball.  He's quick when he wants to be.  Also his hold up play can be really good - he nearly played others in a couple of times today.

At other times - e.g. when the opposition have the ball or when our defenders are looking for an out ball say down the line... he prefers to stand still and not get involved.  Keatings very frustrated with Zeefuik not doing any closing down at all at one point today. 

:spoton:  :rifle:  :rifle:

Great op.

Hold your nerve and keep your powder dry

You'll be one of them who squeals when we have possession but don't hoof it forward

A comfortable win today despite a bit sloppy passing at times. If we had our shooting boots on today we would have won by 4 or 5.

Think some of the pant wetters are suffering more from nerves than any of the players.  :wow:

Lots of football geniuses on this thread. It must be tough for them as they seem to spend saturdays surrounded by thousands of less enlightened neanderthals.

It's like you've read my mind. You sit in G upper as well?

Cant blame the pitch as livvy had to play on same pitch.

I am just glad we got such lead as nerves are creeping in and can see us dropping points soon enough.

Livi made just as many errors if not more than us. Our play in 2nd period was disjointed and there was hardly any fluent patterns of play from either side.

Great op.

Hold your nerve and keep your powder dry

You'll be one of them who squeals when we have possession but don't hoof it forward

Eh? What are you talking about? My question was about today's below par performance. As in, was it down to the title winning game looming large or were we just a bit rubbish TODAY. Try reading the question before you wet your pants.

Gregorski you have to be joking about Eckersly. To me he was possibly (apart from Walker)the best player on the park.

Fair enough mate.

I just felt that with the lack of wide players in the first half he was a bit disappointing when getting forward which is something he normally does extremely well.

Don't get me wrong, he was solid enough on the ball as he always is.

Edit: And I'll also add that he's my pick for player of the year so far. Been delighted with him.

:2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

That backwards passing lark will never catch on with Hearts fans

I don't mind the possession football or the backward passing. It's when our fullbacks have space infront of them to drive into and they turn and pass it back and take the safe option that's when I can understand the fans getting frustrated. I think every fan understands you can't play well and win every week but I can't remember coming out of a home game this year thinking we have played well IMO

We haven't played well since Dumbarton away, but some of the vibes AND shouts from the terracing are fekken ridiculous! Can we PLEASE try to SUPPORT our team?!!!!

Jambo, Goodbye

Thing is there is another team who are really hoofing it every week and funnily enough they are over 20 points behind us and even below Hibs now.

I think the league clearly shows our style is a major factor in our incredible run of results this season.

Some fans need to get a grip - paterson struggled early on and he got non stop grief that does not help him , he showed character to play better in 2 nod half - more encouragement required

I don't mind the possession football or the backward passing. It's when our fullbacks have space infront of them to drive into and they turn and pass it back and take the safe option that's when I can understand the fans getting frustrated. I think every fan understands you can't play well and win every week but I can't remember coming out of a home game this year thinking we have played well IMO

I agree we are at out best when the full backs get forward adam eckersley did it a wee bit first half, CP is at his best when he links up beats a man and can get a pass/cross in. Seems to me in recent weeks one of the full backs been told to stay back and not go racing forward leaving us exposed at the back and both at times seem reluctant to go forward.

Like others have said other teams have probably worked us out I'll be happy with narrow wins to get us over the line. 

I have been thinking the same JH and HM we seem to have been better away from home in recent weeks. Hopefully we can keep this up against QotS.next weekend.

Teams have figured out how we play, and they all set up the same way against us - generally 4 players pressing us at the back, stopping us gathering any momentum. If we do get things moving, teams foul as safely (ie no booking) and early as the can to get us back to a static game.

Long term this has to be good for us.  We have to figure out what we can do to handle this. 

Realistically a team has to play in lots of different ways, particularly when we play each other 4 or more times a season.

A bit?

And just the second half?

Nothing to do with the title, just pish.

I thought you'd be delighted with that result. There's no pleasing you.

Mind you were bumping on about grinding out 1 nils last week..........

I think Robbie was quoted very early on in the season as saying something along the lines that we would perhaps lose goals this season because of our desire to play the ball out of defence rather than just lump it.

No-one can argue that what he has instilled in the team has paid massive dividends. In fact I can only think of the Gomis dither that cost us a goal and ultimately one point in the Falkirk game, where we have come unstuck.

I am firmly in the ball retention camp, despite what many of our support want us to do, ( and despite what my earlier post may have implied).

I can however understand the frustration in the stands when this goes wrong.

The way I see it, we were very comfortable and productive during the first quarter of the season with Robbie's ball retention mantra.

This has become more of an issue as opponents try to pressure us, to the extent that we are much less at ease now than we were before.

The reaction from the stands is therefore of no great surprise to me.

I think we haven't been retaining the ball enough recently. Don't know if it's pressure from the crowd but every time we had it yesterday it was either a hoof up front or a mad dash by the full backs who invariably left the midfield behind and ended up losing the ball. We need to be able to keep the ball even when being pressed - not being able to do that has been our only big failing this year.

Francis Albert

I think we haven't been retaining the ball enough recently. Don't know if it's pressure from the crowd but every time we had it yesterday it was either a hoof up front or a mad dash by the full backs who invariably left the midfield behind and ended up losing the ball. We need to be able to keep the ball even when being pressed - not being able to do that has been our only big failing this year.

Agreed. The crowd yesterday was more frustrated by our failure to retain possession due to a combination of making too many long forward punts, an inability to make simple passes, and players not moving to make themselves available for a pass than by possession football of which there was all too little. The one type of possession football that does frustrate people is when we needlessly pass a ball from a good position back to an area that allows teams to press us and too often results in the relieving long ball. For example on one occasion yesterday when we won a free kick well into Livi's half and contrived to turn a good position into a couple of passes, under no great pressure, back to the keeper.

Is it fair to say that every team will have a dip in form a some point during the season? Hearts aren't playing well, but still coming away with 3 points every week.

That'll do for me.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I thought you'd be delighted with that result. There's no pleasing you.

Mind you were bumping on about grinding out 1 nils last week..........

Smiler, you are a shit troll, a truly shit troll.

For the record, I was delighted with the result but the result is nothing to do with the thread.

Archived