Whisky

Bert Le Clos

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Murray

It's the old mans 60th in a few weeks. We have got him a few gifts already (tokens, tickets to Field Marshall Montgomery etc) but we need a whisky to top it off. Looking to spend around ?50 or under. Been having a look online and have narrowed it down to a few:

Macallan Gold

Dalmore 12yo

Balvennie 12yo

Auchentoshan 12yo

If anybody with a superior knowledge of malts can recommend the best one out of the lot that would be appreciated.

I love all four. Got the Macallan Gold for Christmas and it does come in a lovely presentation box, but a good whisky should not be judged on how it is packaged. It is also a 'no age statement' whisky so may have some older and some younger whisky in it. If I was to choose one out of the four, it would have to be The Balvenie. You can get a Balvenie 14 year old Caribbean cask for within your budget, another excellent drop.

Bugger. There's an 8 Year Old coming out soon if you're into full-on smoke flavour, probably a bit cheaper than that one! Getting some storming reviews online just now.

Will keep a look out for it. 

Don't mind smoke, enjoy the peat and sea/salt ones as well. 

I love all four. Got the Macallan Gold for Christmas and it does come in a lovely presentation box, but a good whisky should not be judged on how it is packaged. It is also a 'no age statement' whisky so may have some older and some younger whisky in it. If I was to choose one out of the four, it would have to be The Balvenie. You can get a Balvenie 14 year old Caribbean cask for within your budget, another excellent drop.

This Salad Fingers and he will thank you for ever.  :bravo:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

jambos are go!

My favourite Whisky at the moment is a litre of Teachers I bought for six quid in St Maarten recently. Fantastic.

My favourite Whisky at the moment is a litre of Teachers I bought for six quid in St Maarten recently. Fantastic.

I think when you can get a litre of a decent blend for an 'ill octupus'. It will always taste good.

ThehandsofZibi

I can't see past the Dalmore 12yo. Its my favourite. Hoping to get my hands on a 25yo Glengoyne for a decent price this week as know someone who is selling a bottle for ?100 as they need Cheltenham funds!

Adam Murray

I can't see past the Dalmore 12yo. Its my favourite. Hoping to get my hands on a 25yo Glengoyne for a decent price this week as know someone who is selling a bottle for ?100 as they need Cheltenham funds!

I have a bottle of 21 year old Glengoyne and that is superb, mind you, the 10 year old is excellent too.

Fitzroy Pointon

This Salad Fingers and he will thank you for ever.  :bravo:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I trust your judgement on this lads.  Cheers lads, Ill get it ordered today.  I'm no expert on the stuff and trying to get someone I know to advise me on what to buy was doing my head in.  

Ill phone the Whisky Shop in Glasgow and ask if they have it, if not ill order it online.  

I trust your judgement on this lads. Cheers lads, Ill get it ordered today. I'm no expert on the stuff and trying to get someone I know to advise me on what to buy was doing my head in.

Ill phone the Whisky Shop in Glasgow and ask if they have it, if not ill order it online.

To add more backing, as Adam says, all four are great but the Balvenie is my favourite. Always got a bottle of that in the house.

I'm doing a tour of the Glenkinchie distillery next week. Never visited a distillery before so looking forward to it.

Adam Murray

To add more backing, as Adam says, all four are great but the Balvenie is my favourite. Always got a bottle of that in the house.

I'm doing a tour of the Glenkinchie distillery next week. Never visited a distillery before so looking forward to it.

Done the Edradour distillery tour and it was great, it's a bit out the way and you obviously don't want to be driving if you want to enjoy all aspects of the tour, a healthy walk from Pitlochry train station works you up a good thirst though. Glenkinchie distillery is not far from me so really need to pay it a visit some time

His name is

I've just signed up to Friends of Classic Malts which gives me a free tour of one of 12 distilleries, one of which is Glenkinchie.

It's free to join here - https://www.malts.com/en-gb/home/

Ive just joined too, I'm going up to Aviemore in April and fancied taking in the Dalwhinnie Distillery, I now have a free pass. Cheers

I'm thinking of Glenkinchie on the morning of the St Johnstone game as I have a friend up from England who is into his whisky and hasn't been to  a distillery before. If you're going before then, please post your thoughts so I know if it's worth the trip out to East Lothian! A good Central Belt distillery tour is Auchentoshan at Dalmuir by Clydebank. They have an excellent guide (from Munich!) called Jan. Not a huge fan of the whisky, but a great tour.

Haven't actually done that many distillery tours - Auchentoshan, Arran, Edradour, Fettercairn, Talisker and that's probably about it.

• 2 months later...

This has got to be one of the best value malts out there just now and stocks are very very low. 

This is a LIDL whisky! A blended malt with a 25 Year Old age statement. I'm on my second bottle and could only find it in the Dalry Road branch.

It is ?34.99 which is a steal for a 25 Year Old. It reviews very well too.

5204131_09_f.jpg

I was at the Whisky Stramash at the Surgeons Hall last week and must have tried about 40 different malts.

Unfortunately I cannot remember what ones I liked best. 

Next year I'm taking a wee note pad.

:olly:

I love everything about whiskey, where it's made, how it's made, the history of it, but I can't drink it!!! It frustrates the life out of me, I watch a series on BBC alba about the whiskeys made in the different whiskey producing regions, it's a great programme.

The only one I've tried that I can take maybe half a dram is "Tamdhu", is there one or two "entry level" whiskeys that anyone can recomend?........or should I just keep trying untill something clicks?!!!!

Adam Murray

I love everything about whiskey, where it's made, how it's made, the history of it, but I can't drink it!!! It frustrates the life out of me, I watch a series on BBC alba about the whiskeys made in the different whiskey producing regions, it's a great programme.

The only one I've tried that I can take maybe half a dram is "Tamdhu", is there one or two "entry level" whiskeys that anyone can recomend?........or should I just keep trying untill something clicks?!!!!

I'd maybe start off with a blended whisky, which are a bit easier on the palate than some single malts, maybe a Chivas Regal or Johnnie Walker Black, or even Monkey Shoulder, which is a lovely blend of three single malts, all of which are good in there own right. For an easy going single malt I'd try an Auchentoshan American Oak or Glendronach 12 year old which you should find palatable. As for the actual drinking of it, take your time with it, let it sit in the glass for a bit, nose it (smell it), have a small sip in it's purest form and roll it about your mouth a bit, add a touch of still, cool water if need be, however much you need to suit your taste. I would say don't use ice, but it's a personal choice so put whatever you want in it, although some people would say that's sacrilege, especially in older whisky's. Also, if you liked the Tamdhu, try one of the other single malts from that region (speyside), Benromach 10 year old springs to mind. Hope you find something that suits your taste

Have you tried any whisky

Dalwhinnie is often opined as being a lighter/ladies malt. Might be worth a try. 

Have you added a splash of water? 

A nice easy drinking malt is Glen Grant 'The Majors Reserve'. It's a young malt with no age statement which is relatively light & fruity. You should pick up a bottle for under ?25.

Have you tried any whisky

Dalwhinnie is often opined as being a lighter/ladies malt. Might be worth a try. 

Have you added a splash of water?

Tell my spell check!!

Not added water or ice, I'll give it a try, feel as if it's cheating a wee bit though.

Tell my spell check!!

Not added water or ice, I'll give it a try, feel as if it's cheating a wee bit though.

You should drink whisky any way you like not the way someone else does.

I'd maybe start off with a blended whisky, which are a bit easier on the palate than some single malts, maybe a Chivas Regal or Johnnie Walker Black, or even Monkey Shoulder, which is a lovely blend of three single malts, all of which are good in there own right. For an easy going single malt I'd try an Auchentoshan American Oak or Glendronach 12 year old which you should find palatable. As for the actual drinking of it, take your time with it, let it sit in the glass for a bit, nose it (smell it), have a small sip in it's purest form and roll it about your mouth a bit, add a touch of still, cool water if need be, however much you need to suit your taste. I would say don't use ice, but it's a personal choice so put whatever you want in it, although some people would say that's sacrilege, especially in older whisky's. Also, if you liked the Tamdhu, try one of the other single malts from that region (speyside), Benromach 10 year old springs to mind. Hope you find something that suits your taste

Thanks for that reply, I've tried the Monkey Shoulder, it was a couple of years ago mind. What does ice do that water doesn't? I'm away to pour myself a wee Mcallan Gold while the wife's oot!!

You should drink whisky any way you like not the way someone else does.

I'm this is true, I've a Mcallan Gold and a wee glass of water to try that, I had to fight hard to get past the Gin mind!!

Adam Murray

Thanks for that reply, I've tried the Monkey Shoulder, it was a couple of years ago mind. What does ice do that water doesn't? I'm away to pour myself a wee Mcallan Gold while the wife's oot!!

Ice cools the whisky too much, so much so that it takes away some of the natural flavours, again though, it's all down to personal choice.

Willing to be corrected, but most malts are intended to be drunk with a small amount of water added. It usually develops flavours which when neat are not as prominent.

Adam Murray

Willing to be corrected, but most malts are intended to be drunk with a small amount of water added. It usually develops flavours which when neat are not as prominent.

You can definitely smell and taste the difference in a single malt when a small dash of water is added. Some single malts which are bottled at cask strength taste all the better for it too

You can definitely smell and taste the difference in a single malt when a small dash of water is added. Some single malts which are bottled at cask strength taste all the better for it too

I usually prefer my drams without any water. However, when I got a bottle of glenfarclas 105 a couple of years ago, I actually preferred it with a splash of water, almost turned it into a different whisky. Tried another couple of cask strength malts and the same applied.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried bac10aeffcd9dfb9a3c003fb4904010b.jpg this week from aviemore this week. A 'black' whiskey. I found it different but very nice. Quite smooth to drink and very sweet having been matured in old port casks. I would recommend trying it but defiantly different from a usual whisky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seymour M Hersh

This has got to be one of the best value malts out there just now and stocks are very very low. 

This is a LIDL whisky! A blended malt with a 25 Year Old age statement. I'm on my second bottle and could only find it in the Dalry Road branch.

It is ?34.99 which is a steal for a 25 Year Old. It reviews very well too.

5204131_09_f.jpg

Is it best with coke or lemonade?  ::troll:::'>

Alwaysmaroon

When you go to the whisky tasting sessions are they normally tasted straight or is water added. Very interesting reading this thread

Adam Murray

When you go to the whisky tasting sessions are they normally tasted straight or is water added. Very interesting reading this thread

They normally come straight, but there is usually always the option to add water. Always try it first without water added, then just add a very small drop and note the difference

H1B5 Owner

Suspect I could be risking the wrath of some on here on here with this, but here goes.

Had a random thought on Twitter during the most recent Welsh celebrations as to whether they do any spirit our liqueurs. Someone came up with this.

5d1d81d600d70d9602e6e30101c7d5e5.jpg

Anyone tried it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Alwaysmaroon

They normally come straight, but there is usually always the option to add water. Always try it first without water added, then just add a very small drop and note the difference

Alwaysmaroon

Thanks, would like to try a tasting session at some point in the presence of an expert.

http://www.theauldalliance.sg/

Looking forward to visiting this place in August

I've been there quite often, as it is in the hotel I stay at in Singapore (the Rendezvous).  The main problem with it is that I've never been there when there have been more than 5 people in the place, so it lacks atmosphere.  Tremendous range of whiskies (from all countries).  I tasted a cracking couple of Japanese whiskies, but can't remember their names.

Suspect I could be risking the wrath of some on here on here with this, but here goes.

Had a random thought on Twitter during the most recent Welsh celebrations as to whether they do any spirit our liqueurs. Someone came up with this.

5d1d81d600d70d9602e6e30101c7d5e5.jpg

Anyone tried it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes, I tried it in a pub in Perthshire.  Can't say that I much cared for it, lacked depth and was pretty much just nippy water.

Here's the wee pub, well  worth a visit.  http://www.pitcairngreeninn.co.uk/index.html

Archived