Whisky

Bert Le Clos

Used to hate the stuff but I've persevered with it and I'm glad I did. Toying with the idea of putting together a collection.

I was lucky enough that a few friends and family cottoned onto my new tipple over Christmas so I'm now the owner of a 10 y/o Ardbeg, a Glenmorangie Nector D'Or, a 10 y/o Talisker and a 10 y/o Aberlour.

Also got a couple of blends; a Bailie Nicol Jarvie which despite originally coming from Leith is very nice and a bottle of something called Monkey Shoulder which I was a bit worried about but is actually better than expected.

I'm thinking about picking a few more 10 y/o's then from there saving up to buy say one excellent bottle a year.

I do also have a bottle of 23 y/o Glendullan which I inherited when my Grandpa passed away 9 years ago however that's being saved for a special day.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing of any suggestions of bottles I should give a try. I've obviously got pretty popular bottles so far so I'm interested in discovering some lesser known malts. Also heard good things about some Japanese whiskies if anyone has any experience they'd like to share?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what the collection for? the value would'nt go up as it would stay a 10year old as already bottled, but if to drink get a bottle of Lagavulin

Depends what the collection for? the value would'nt go up as it would stay a 10year old as already bottled, but if to drink get a bottle of Lagavulin

The collection is for me. Nothing special. I'm not looking to put together something to pass onto anyone when I die. Just a bunch of decent bottles that I can drink when I like and offer to people when they're round at the house.

But I'd be looking to buy maybe a good bottle a year of say 18 - 25 y/o to have for special occasions that I can open and drink with close friends and family; the day of a wedding or the birth of a child etc.

I'll take a look at Lagavulin though, cheers.

Island malts for me- Jura, Laphroig especially

Cannot stand Highland Park- over rated pap

Old Pultney is nice!

The older glenfiddich are good also- 18 years + but you generally get what you pay for!

Not a fan of the "cask" variants that they do- oak cask, sherry cask  whatever - just not my thing

If you dont like a smokey taste I would not go for Lagavulin , however McCallan is a really good one a wee bit expensive though .

Get a good bottle of all the different styles.

Nice lowland like Auchentoshan or Glenkinchie

Perfumed Speyside like Cragganmore.

Mild peat like Jura

Heavy peat like Ardbeg or Bowmore

Sherry cask like Glenmorangie Lasanta

Check out Ralfy.com for reviews

Cheers

Island malts for me- Jura, Laphroig especially

Cannot stand Highland Park- over rated pap

Old Pultney is nice!

The older glenfiddich are good also- 18 years + but you generally get what you pay for!

Not a fan of the "cask" variants that they do- oak cask, sherry cask  whatever - just not my thing

I've heard a lot of people say that about Highland Park. I've also read that when you first open the bottle it doesn't seem anything special, but if you leave it for a few months after the first drink then try it it's a completely different drink. I've also heard a lot of people say they're not fans of Glenfiddich. I've never tried it so can't comment but everyone is different so I'm not going to write it off.

If you dont like a smokey taste I would not go for Lagavulin , however McCallan is a really good one a wee bit expensive though .

I really enjoyed the Ardbeg when I tried it which seemed pretty smokey. I'm not put off by price, it might just be it takes me a few months of saving to pick up a bottle!

Another shout for Old Pulteney.. Got a bottle for birthday last august and it was done by october..

Generally I ignore tasting notes as a bit poncy, such as "hints of caramel and apples" etc.. But the tasting notes for OP were bang on. Definate hints of caramel and sea air.. lovely stuff. And you can get it for about ?30 in asda.

I like a Glenfiddich, the standard 12yo in the green bottle. I've never gone for sherry cask or anything like that.

A few years ago asda done an own brand single malt called Glen Shira. It was actually really nice and very drinkable so look for a bottle of that if you fancy a cheap (in price) but good quality single malt.

I don't like peaty/smoky malts. I used to work in Halls and it just reminds me of the bacon smokers. Bogging smell.

Get a good bottle of all the different styles.

Nice lowland like Auchentoshan or Glenkinchie

Perfumed Speyside like Cragganmore.

Mild peat like Jura

Heavy peat like Ardbeg or Bowmore

Sherry cask like Glenmorangie Lasanta

Check out Ralfy.com for reviews

Cheers

Auchentoshan is very easy on the palate, but i'd rather drip paint stripper in my eyes than drink Glenkinchie - truly awful and more toxic than paint stripper!

For something light and sweet try and find Clynelish or Balblair. If you're looking for something a bit more complex, then Cragganmore is a good shout, or perhaps Blair Athol which has quite a spicy, cakemix character.

As for full-on sherry character, Glenfarclas is definitely worth a punt. Especially the older ones or the 105.

And for the smokies, I like the more easy-going Talisker or if I'm going all-out probably a Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

The Japanese whiskies are very good indeed. ***** From The Barrel is a good cheaper one, whereas the Suntorys, Yamazaki and Hibiki are lovely, if a bit steep.

Has anyone tried the Balvenie? Thinking I might go for the 12 y/o double wood.

Lots of shouts for Cragganmore, Glenfarclas and Talisker though. I'll definitely be keeping those in mind.

Used to hate the stuff but I've persevered with it and I'm glad I did. Toying with the idea of putting together a collection.

I was lucky enough that a few friends and family cottoned onto my new tipple over Christmas so I'm now the owner of a 10 y/o Ardbeg, a Glenmorangie Nector D'Or, a 10 y/o Talisker and a 10 y/o Aberlour.

Also got a couple of blends; a Bailie Nicol Jarvie which despite originally coming from Leith is very nice and a bottle of something called Monkey Shoulder which I was a bit worried about but is actually better than expected.

I'm thinking about picking a few more 10 y/o's then from there saving up to buy say one excellent bottle a year.

I do also have a bottle of 23 y/o Glendullan which I inherited when my Grandpa passed away 9 years ago however that's being saved for a special day.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing of any suggestions of bottles I should give a try. I've obviously got pretty popular bottles so far so I'm interested in discovering some lesser known malts. Also heard good things about some Japanese whiskies if anyone has any experience they'd like to share?

The day we clinch the championship? :jjyay:

Like you used to I hate whiskey but might give it another go.

Lots of shouts for Cragganmore, Glenfarclas and Talisker though. I'll definitely be keeping those in mind.

Currently working my way through a Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 y/o. Rather lovely

I'm no expert on whisky but I like a lot of the stuff that JKBers are recommending especially Old Pulteney.

On the Nip nip front , I was given a bottle of *****  as a Xmas present and it blew my socks off. I'm not claiming it's complex but the flavour is like no other whisky I have ever tasted. Would recommend.

See herehttps://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/*****-whisky-from-the-barrel-gift-pack/

The name of the whisky is N i k k a - I have no idea why it's blanked on here.

you really have to try them, its a different thing for different people. my mate loves Laphroaig and i hate it. everyone has a different favourite.

i like the glenfiddich 18yr mentioned but as has also been mentioned others dislike it.

I really like Balvenie. In It's price range I'm not sure you can get much better. It's also a good one for sharing as it's not to peaty but still has a bit of grunt to it. Middle of the road, but good. 

Definitely get a bottle of Glenfarclas for the collection. It's the last family owned distillery in Speyside and it's a really nice easy going nip.

My personal favourite's probably Bunnahabhain but I know it's not to everyone's taste. It's lighter than the likes of Laphroig and Ardbeg. I'd avoid Lagavulin personally. I always get a diesel flavour from it. 

My advice would be try as many as possible when out and about at bars/pubs/clubs and with mates. That'll expose you to many more variants and flavours without committing to a bottle of something you may/may not like. Potentially at a heavy cost.

Whisky tasting evenings are ideal for this. Will be plenty going on around now for Burns night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are boozers now doing tasting trays. 4 or 5 short measure nips for ?10-?12.

I think Bennet's at the Kings Theatre are doing it.

This is an excellent way to try different styles. Always remember to work your way up to the peaty ones if you're on a tasting session.

If you start with an Ardbeg you'll be tasting smoke for all the others.

Got a nice Jura is the cupboard. Might open it later.

Like a Bowmore or a Famous Grouse as well.

Another shout out for Old Pulteney, which I've only just discovered and am really enjoying. "The Malt Whisky Companion" by Michael Jackson (not that one) is the perfect book for tasting notes and background infos. Can't recommend it or "Whisky" by the same author highly enough.

Drinking a 10yearold bottle of Talisker at the moment fairly pleasant

+1 for this. Not bad at all.

jambos are go!

As I've said before I think its hard to find a bad bottle of blended Scotch - even the cheap ones. I'm enjoying a pricey  Chivas Regal at the moment and its super. Like them all but try the Grants Ale Cask Blend Whyte  & Mackay and Isle of Skye which are a wee bit different IMO. Bells and Famous Grouse are best selling whiskies for good reason

Talks let is smokey and I think you mentioned that you didn't like smokey, so avoid.

And that's as far as my whisky knowledge stretches so I'm out.

My favourite.  :2thumbsup:  I love Balvenie, wish I could afford to drink it on a regular basis.

Carl Fredrickson

I got into whisky in my early 30s after a tour of the Glenkinchie distillery. Since then I have picked up a bottle from local distilleries when I am out and about. My collection peaked at 37 bottles and has been reduced somewhat in the last 3 years as they were taken up quite a bit of space. 

My advice on whisky is similar to what others have said in that everybodys tastes are different and try before you buy can save you a fortune. 

I often buy from Caidenheards shop in the High Street as they have loads of bottles that you can have samples from. In fact, their shop in Campletown saw me pished by 11am during one visit. The salesman wasnt daft though as I bought 4 bottles!

My personal favourite is a grain made by the North British Distillery - just behind Tynie:

http://www.whiskytastingroom.com/cadenheads-small-batch-whisky/north-british-single-grain-1989-24yo-46abv

Enjoy your new hobby  :booze:

Mr Brightside

Yeah it's great. Or pay the extra ?10 and get a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean cask. It's matured for its last 2 years in a rum cask and gives it a different flavour.

Talks let is smokey and I think you mentioned that you didn't like smokey, so avoid.

And that's as far as my whisky knowledge stretches so I'm out.

Nope, no problems with smokey. Very much enjoying the Ardbeg which seems to be about as smokey/peaty as they come.

I got into whisky in my early 30s after a tour of the Glenkinchie distillery. Since then I have picked up a bottle from local distilleries when I am out and about. My collection peaked at 37 bottles and has been reduced somewhat in the last 3 years as they were taken up quite a bit of space. 

My advice on whisky is similar to what others have said in that everybodys tastes are different and try before you buy can save you a fortune. 

I often buy from Caidenheards shop in the High Street as they have loads of bottles that you can have samples from. In fact, their shop in Campletown saw me pished by 11am during one visit. The salesman wasnt daft though as I bought 4 bottles!

My personal favourite is a grain made by the North British Distillery - just behind Tynie:

http://www.whiskytastingroom.com/cadenheads-small-batch-whisky/north-british-single-grain-1989-24yo-46abv

Enjoy your new hobby  :booze:

Thanks for the advice mate. Always good to know. Quick question though; when you got your collection up to over 30 how did you go about drinking them? I know that sounds daft but how many did you have open at at time? And what was the longest you had one open before finishing it? Can having a bottle open too long affect it in a bad way?

Enjoy whiskey but in no way an expert..

The best I ever tasted was a bottle called Royal Salute by Chivas.. A parent of one of my students invited me round and offered it to me.. Apparently it was worth 200 quid but he had managed to get it for 100 on a flight he was on..

I will admit though I haven't tried the majority of what has been mentioned already.. Had a couple of Glenfiddichs last night which were enjoyable..

Another shout out for Old Pulteney, which I've only just discovered and am really enjoying. "The Malt Whisky Companion" by Michael Jackson (not that one) is the perfect book for tasting notes and background infos. Can't recommend it or "Whisky" by the same author highly enough.

Here's Ralfy's review of Old Pultney...

His patter isn't for everyone but he's very knowlegable and his reviews will tell you things that you didny ken.

Carl Fredrickson

Nope, no problems with smokey. Very much enjoying the Ardbeg which seems to be about as smokey/peaty as they come.

Thanks for the advice mate. Always good to know. Quick question though; when you got your collection up to over 30 how did you go about drinking them? I know that sounds daft but how many did you have open at at time? And what was the longest you had one open before finishing it? Can having a bottle open too long affect it in a bad way?

When it became obvious that things were getting a bit too much, I got friends round and opened a few bottles and over a number of such nights we tanned a few bottes. I am down to about 18 with about a dozen open. 

I think one of the bottles has been open for about 5 years. Keep the lid tight, away from sunlight and they should be ok for a while. 

On another note, dont be scared or put off by adding a wee bit of water. Some whisky may not be to your taste but by adding a drop or two of water at a time it may be more to your taste diluting. 

My personal preference is no ice. 

If you are going through an airport duty free their is a nice bottle of Glenmorangie Dornoch on the shelves. Also another shout for Old Pulteney.

I'm going to a Burns Night (never been to one before) on Sunday and I've been told that each guest has to bring a whisky for some blind tasting. I know next to nothing about whisky so I'd appreicate any adivce. What I'd be looking for would be something that's good quality, not necessarily very popular to make it a bit challenging to distinguish, relatively cheap and available in a smallish bottle (won't be drinking the stuff after the night so don't want loads left over - tight, I know) and something I can get at a mainstream shop (Tesco would be ideal!). A rather strict set of criteria but any help would be appreciated!

Can people get it Right please!!!!!

Whisky is what this thread is about.

Whiskey is for putting in coffee and rednecks.

Haha, love this

Recently bought a Dalmore 12, not opened it yet, but it's got a nice colour scheme. 

0010000035711_xl.jpg

Had some Old Pultney when out last night,as well as a coupe of Islay drams (Laphroaig & Lagavulan) and finished off with a Scapa 16 at home. 

:cheers:

I think one of the bottles has been open for about 5 years. Keep the lid tight, away from sunlight and they should be ok for a while. 

On another note, dont be scared or put off by adding a wee bit of water. Some whisky may not be to your taste but by adding a drop or two of water at a time it may be more to your taste diluting. 

My personal preference is no ice. 

Cheers. I bought a new bookcase for the living room which never gets the sun and I've got absolutely no intention of filling the shelves with books.

I've been trying my first taste straight then adding a cube or two of ice depending on whether I think it needs watered. Don't know why by I prefer it with ice to adding water.

And thanks for this too - didn't want to be the one to point it out but it needed said!

Recently bought a Dalmore 12, not opened it yet, but it's got a nice colour scheme. 

0010000035711_xl.jpg

Had some Old Pultney when out last night,as well as a coupe of Islay drams (Laphroaig & Lagavulan) and finished off with a Scapa 16 at home. 

:clumshot:

Sounds stupid but whisky is the only drink, apart from maybe a good rum that gets me excited about drinking it before I've even tasted it. The colour of that and the presentation of it looks exquisite. You almost know it's going to be good. I hope it is, let me know!

Caspian Primrose

Can anyone recommend a good book for complete beginners? I bought the yearbook but it's not really what I was looking for.

I was given a sample set as a Christmas present (been wanting to get into whisky for a while now) and I don't want to touch it until I'm a bit more clued up on what I'm drinking.

Can anyone recommend a good book for complete beginners? I bought the yearbook but it's not really what I was looking for.

I was given a sample set as a Christmas present (been wanting to get into whisky for a while now) and I don't want to touch it until I'm a bit more clued up on what I'm drinking.

First book I got was Whiskypedia, it's got a fair few write ups most have a photo etc of the bottle (I'm not an expert and I find seeing the product to be of great interest). Anyway all books are opinion based which is why if you look them up on say amazon you'll see all have a host of reviews both good and bad! Whiskypedia has a taste map in the cover with a lot (but not all) of the reviewed whisky on it. That would be my tip, try a whisky, find another on the map, taste that and start to see where your taste preferences lie. Anyone, everyone and his dog will tell you what's good, bad, which reviews are good or bad, which way to drink it blah blah blah, it's all individual. By the way the taste maps (four sided plot graph) are easily found on Google :)

All roads lead to Gorgie

0010000035711_xl.jpg

Tried the Dalmore years ago and remember it to be quite dry in taste, a bit like a Glen Grant. I think M&S sold it with their own label on it if I remember right back then.

Monkey Shoulder is wonderful.

It's not half bad. My brother has just given me a bottle of Black Grouse which someone gave him, he doesn't drink whisky. Interested to have a taste and see how it compares to something like Monkey Shoulder. They seem to be similar, upper market blends if you like.

Opened the bottle of Aberlour the other night. Completely different to the Ardbeg, sweeter and a bit smoother for me. Still very enjoyable though.

Archived