Whisky

Bert Le Clos

Francis Albert

As I've said before I think its hard to find a bad bottle of blended Scotch - even the cheap ones. I'm enjoying a pricey  Chivas Regal at the moment and its super. Like them all but try the Grants Ale Cask Blend Whyte  & Mackay and Isle of Skye which are a wee bit different IMO. Bells and Famous Grouse are best selling whiskies for good reason

Can't agree on cheap blended whiskies - I can't stand Cutty Sark or Dewars let alone the even cheaper ones. Famous Grouse and Chivas Regal are fine and if they still do it The Antiquary was nice. The Macallan and Balvenie for me for pure malts. Can't go with anything too peaty and despite my user name Jack Daniels whiskey is far too sweet for me.

Not convinced that once you get to 10 or 12 years further aging makes a helluva difference.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carl Fredrickson

Re single malts V blends, from my experience you get some awful & excellent blends You also get some awful and excellent single malts

Islay malts for me. Im also working on growing the collection on the bookshelve.

Currently have a Caol Ila, Ardberg, Lagavulin and Octomore 6.3 by Bruichladdich which is one of the peatiest whiskies. It only 5 yo and was a bit expensive but ever since I tasted it through in Glasgow at the Whisky festival and I has been wanting a bottle. I was walking up the Royal Miles with a few beers in me and found myself in the royal mile whisky shop handing over my cash. Just need to find the right time to crack it open.

Also enjoying Jura Superstition. I spend a bit of time in airports and they were doing 2 x 1L bottles for ?70 for a while so took them up on that offer although the first one didnt last long once my American collegues got their hands on it.

Had Bowmore 12yo for the first time the other day and really enjoyed that so that is next for the collection.

Talisker Storm is also pretty nice. Talisker reminds me of sitting on a beach with my mates drinking a bottle as the sun went down a few summers ago so its a bit nostalgic.

Balvenie Double Wood is getting a few shouts so might need to sample some of that too.

Fort Vallance

Used to hate the stuff but I've persevered with it and I'm glad I did. Toying with the idea of putting together a collection.

I was lucky enough that a few friends and family cottoned onto my new tipple over Christmas so I'm now the owner of a 10 y/o Ardbeg, a Glenmorangie Nector D'Or, a 10 y/o Talisker and a 10 y/o Aberlour.

Also got a couple of blends; a Bailie Nicol Jarvie which despite originally coming from Leith is very nice and a bottle of something called Monkey Shoulder which I was a bit worried about but is actually better than expected.

I'm thinking about picking a few more 10 y/o's then from there saving up to buy say one excellent bottle a year.

I do also have a bottle of 23 y/o Glendullan which I inherited when my Grandpa passed away 9 years ago however that's being saved for a special day.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing of any suggestions of bottles I should give a try. I've obviously got pretty popular bottles so far so I'm interested in discovering some lesser known malts. Also heard good things about some Japanese whiskies if anyone has any experience they'd like to share?

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question and I'm glad your enjoying your hobby. But why would you persevere with something that you hated ?

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question and I'm glad your enjoying your hobby. But why would you persevere with something that you hated ?

It's not something I forced down my throat constantly until I became immune to the taste. I hated my first taste of lager too. And coffee. But I've developed a taste for them over the years too.

I'm pretty sure my first taste of whisky was some sort of punishment shot of some rancid blend during a round of pub golf aged about 18. It was brutal, and it put me off whisky big time in the same way I was put off ever drinking vodka straight after being talked into downing some Glen's.

Then I went through that stage of only drinking lager, before moving onto stuff like Jack Daniels and other bourbon type drinks which I used to have with coke or ginger beer.

I only tasted proper whisky again a couple of years ago when I was at the Taste of Edinburgh Festival and there was a whisky stall offering free tasters of a new blended whisky (I forget the name) which they were serving with ginger beer. My drink at that time was Jim Beam and ginger beer so I gave it a go and really enjoyed it. From there I moved onto drinking the occasional dram and now I'm hooked.

My old man's friend works for Glenmorangie and has just told him they're stopping making Bailie Nicol Jarvie.

So for those of you who like it or are interested in trying it, worthwhile getting a bottle now before they stop being sold or are only available at stupid prices.

Like I said, for a blend it's pretty good.

alwaysthereinspirit

My daughters got me a 4 pack sample of Dalmore for Christmas.

12, 15, 18 and Gran Reserva. Had the 12 last night and it was really good.

Hoping the rest are as good.

Just opened the seal on Dalmore 12. 

Looks quite dark in the bottle and glass.

Not as citrus as some of the other Dalmores I've had in the past, but pretty pleasant so far. 

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

Used to hate the stuff but I've persevered with it and I'm glad I did. Toying with the idea of putting together a collection.

I was lucky enough that a few friends and family cottoned onto my new tipple over Christmas so I'm now the owner of a 10 y/o Ardbeg, a Glenmorangie Nector D'Or, a 10 y/o Talisker and a 10 y/o Aberlour.

Also got a couple of blends; a Bailie Nicol Jarvie which despite originally coming from Leith is very nice and a bottle of something called Monkey Shoulder which I was a bit worried about but is actually better than expected.

I'm thinking about picking a few more 10 y/o's then from there saving up to buy say one excellent bottle a year.

I do also have a bottle of 23 y/o Glendullan which I inherited when my Grandpa passed away 9 years ago however that's being saved for a special day.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing of any suggestions of bottles I should give a try. I've obviously got pretty popular bottles so far so I'm interested in discovering some lesser known malts. Also heard good things about some Japanese whiskies if anyone has any experience they'd like to share?

It all depends on what your taste is. I'm not overly keen on the island malts - too peaty for me. If you like Talisker, then Laphroig will be up your street.

I personally enjoy Ben Nevis 10 year old - you can get that from online retailers for about ?35 a bottle. ***** is an excellent Japanese whisky - the Yoichi 10 year old is superb, just a hint of peat which is what I like.

Auchentoshan is very easy on the palate, but i'd rather drip paint stripper in my eyes than drink Glenkinchie - truly awful and more toxic than paint stripper!

Agreed - Glenkinchie is shocking, but it's pactically made in Tranent so what do you expect?? Ha Ha!

It all depends on what your taste is. I'm not overly keen on the island malts - too peaty for me. If you like Talisker, then Laphroig will be up your street.

I personally enjoy Ben Nevis 10 year old - you can get that from online retailers for about ?35 a bottle. ***** is an excellent Japanese whisky - the Yoichi 10 year old is superb, just a hint of peat which is what I like.

What's offensive about N I K K A Japanese whisky?

jambos are go!

Celebrated securing the Championship with a few large Teachers I bought for less than ?7 a litre in the Caribbean a couple of months ago. Highland Cream indeed!!

• 1 month later...

I was doing the West Highland Way a few weeks ago, and stopped off at the Bothy Bar at the MacDonald hotel in Kilochleven where they have a good whisky selection. I decided to treat myself to a Glenglassaugh 30 year old... possibly the best I've tasted, it was stunning!

Agreed - Glenkinchie is shocking, but it's pactically made in Tranent so what do you expect?? Ha Ha!

Glenkinchie is the stuff of dreams my friend.

Just opened the seal on Dalmore 12.

Looks quite dark in the bottle and glass

That'll be the shit-ton of E150 colourant that they put in it :sob:

Glenkinchie is the stuff of dreams my friend.

Each to their own - hope you weren't offended by my wee bit banter.

That's the great thing about whisky - so many different types & flavours, and everyone has their own palate when it comes to the stuff.

alwaysthereinspirit

Was at a whisky tasting event a couple of weeks back. Had a 16 year Lagavulin. Swear there was smoke rising from the glass.

Went out and bought a bottle. Probably the most peaty I've tried. Liked it a lot.

Was at a whisky tasting event a couple of weeks back. Had a 16 year Lagavulin. Swear there was smoke rising from the glass.

Went out and bought a bottle. Probably the most peaty I've tried. Liked it a lot.

A magnificent whisky, and it probably still represents the biggest bang for your buck in mainstream malts.

hmfc_liam06

Has anyone tried Johnnie Walker Swing? Won a bottle of it at the golf last weekend, not a whisky drinker at all!

A magnificent whisky, and it probably still represents the biggest bang for your buck in mainstream malts.

Absolutely, one of the best whiskies out there and certainly worth the price most places sell it at. I paid ?36 at Costco for a bottle about a year ago now so I bought three :lol:

Each to their own - hope you weren't offended by my wee bit banter.

That's the great thing about whisky - so many different types & flavours, and everyone has their own palate when it comes to the stuff.

No, I certainly wasn't offended. I'm sure there are whiskies out there that you absolutely love and I am not too keen on. As you rightly say, "each to their own". :)

Here's Ralfy's review of Old Pultney...

His patter isn't for everyone but he's very knowlegable and his reviews will tell you things that you didny ken.

Just watched this, found it quite enjoyable..

Agree totally on the brineyness and the fudgy notes but as my pallette(sp) has been kicked to death by curry, lager, vodka, gin, cola and greggs over the years can't say I tasted much in the way of tropical fruits but loved Old Pulteney anyway!

I liked how he explained how the tastes evovle in the cask through the chemical processes etc... Obviusly I've never thought they add guava and mango to it but it was nice to get a wee explanation on things..

Looking forward to watching a few more of his reviews..

I have a bottle of Old Pulteny (might push for the 17YO) and a Dalmore on the birthday list this year.. Although going to tunisia in June does anybody know what the duty free there is like? :)

attachicon.gif016.jpg Got a bit of this for our championship winning weekend  :2thumbsup:

Love the glass, from the shop is it? Think I'll have a wee look the noo...

• 2 weeks later...

Just did the Auchentoshan Distillery tour - the cheap ?6 one - and it was brilliant. At the end we got to try whatever whisky we wanted. I tried 5 whiskies including a Bordeaux Single Cask edition. Other members of the tour tried every single Auchentoshan expression except the 21, 30, 40 and 50, which amounted to about 12 whiskies. It was brilliant.

I bought the 12 YO which I found to be unbelievably smooth.

Just did the Auchentoshan Distillery tour - the cheap ?6 one - and it was brilliant. At the end we got to try whatever whisky we wanted. I tried 5 whiskies including a Bordeaux Single Cask edition. Other members of the tour tried every single Auchentoshan expression except the 21, 30, 40 and 50, which amounted to about 12 whiskies. It was brilliant.

I bought the 12 YO which I found to be unbelievably smooth.

You got to try 5 at the end - was that included in the ?6 admission? If so then bargain.

I like the Auchentoshan 3 wood - very nice, tastes like Christmas pudding!

I had a sip of 5 as I was driving so didn't want to overdo it. The other couple on the tour tried about 12 whiskies and this was all included in the ?6.

I was under the impression that we'd get to try one entry level whisky and that'd be it however it wasn't the case. It was a good surprise :)

Great whisky. The blender's a Jambo too!

Randle P McMurphy

Im not really a whisky drinker but I got a bottle of Johnnie Walker blue at a good price at work. Ive been pricing it since and it is selling for approximately ?130 a bottle. What's the verdict on ?130 on a blended whisky?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Just recently started drinking and slowly adapting my palate/taste.

Have a 18yo glenfiddich, it's nice but still getting used to the flavours.

Just opened a 10yo glengoyne very nice and tastes sweet.

Also have a glenfiddich 12yo unopened

Not a bad collection for starting with I think

alwaysthereinspirit

My daughter graduates college on Friday. I have an unopened Glenmorangie Signet. Just might be the moment.

Adam Murray

On the way home from the Edradour distillery tour, great wee place and a nice tour, some of those cask strength malts are a bit tasty too :-)

steviefrailspants

Can anyone recommend a good book for complete beginners? I bought the yearbook but it's not really what I was looking for.

I was given a sample set as a Christmas present (been wanting to get into whisky for a while now) and I don't want to touch it until I'm a bit more clued up on what I'm drinking.

Raw Spirit by the later great Iain Banks is an enjoyable read. He was a huge whisky fan and whilst this is largely a travel book of his trips round a whack of Scottish distilleries he covers a heck of a lot of malts and gives good tasting notes. Quite funny too.

In my limited experience of malts to date I've really taken a shine to a Laphroig

I'm getting married in 2017 and, on the wedding day, we are exchanging gifts in the morning, via the best man and bridesmaid. I'm getting her some jewellery of some kind, I was thinking of asking for a really good whisky to share with my best man and ushers in the morning. The limit would be about ?250, anyone got any ideas on what would be a cracking bottle for the day? Seen a 28 year old bottle in Waverley for around that price. Anyone know of any 21yo+?

I'm getting married in 2017 and, on the wedding day, we are exchanging gifts in the morning, via the best man and bridesmaid. I'm getting her some jewellery of some kind, I was thinking of asking for a really good whisky to share with my best man and ushers in the morning. The limit would be about ?250, anyone got any ideas on what would be a cracking bottle for the day? Seen a 28 year old bottle in Waverley for around that price. Anyone know of any 21yo+?

Glenfarclas 30yo is a cracker, would give you ?50 change as well!

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2074.aspx

Adam Murray

Glengoyne 21 year old is an excellent whisky for just over ?100, nice presentation box too.

alwaysthereinspirit

My daughter graduates college on Friday. I have an unopened Glenmorangie Signet. Just might be the moment.

Which I just realized is 15 5 15. I think I like those numbers.

This is probably the best I've had - very smooth and fruity. It's an absolutely stunning whisky - the bottle is really cool, you should feel the weight of the cork, it's pretty heavy!! You can get it for ?210 a bottle at https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-21575.aspx

ggsob.30yov1.jpg

• 3 months later...
cashgenerator

Thought I'd bump this as I'm now about 8 months in to my concerted attempt to get into whisky.

Been to a few tastings and tried quite a few miniatures.

As we stand I've got a nice wee collection going, mainly by waiting until things are on offer from supermarkets:

Old Pulteney 12 which is tip-top for the price.

Balvenie Doublewood, probably my favourite so far.

Auchentoshan Three Wood, lovely lovely stuff

Glenfiddich Rich Oak, pretty woody but I like this too

Aberlour 10, got it on offer at ?22, bargain at that price

Highland Park 12, pretty hard work to be honest!

Jura Superstition, very nice lightly peated number which I'm enjoying a great deal

Jura Turas Mara, duty free unopened as yet

Morlach Rare Old, expensive but really good.  Sadly it's finished now!

I've also tried a few Islay's but have struggled:  Laphroaig 10 (too much for me), Arbeg 10 (undrinkable!), Talisker 10 (tolerable), and a Bunnahabhain which was very nice indeed. 

I've also tried Glenkinchie 10 (rank), Glenmorangie 10 (meh), Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 10s (ok), Macallan Gold (ok), and Singleton 10 (ok).

Next on the list are a Glenfarclas, a Dalwhinnie and maybe the Balvenie Carribean Cask which sounds very nice indeed.

Any other recommendations to expand my horizons?  Especially interested in either travel editions (for the novelty) or maybe slightly older whiskies (say 15-18 years) which don't break the bank.

Finally, any recommendations for a blend or two which are worth trying.  I don't think I've ever had a blend that wasn't accompanied by a mixer (with the exception of Monkey Shoulder which was actually quite decent).

Johnnie Walker double black, very nice. very very nice.... even the smell you could inhale for ever.

Thought I'd bump this as I'm now about 8 months in to my concerted attempt to get into whisky.

Been to a few tastings and tried quite a few miniatures.

As we stand I've got a nice wee collection going, mainly by waiting until things are on offer from supermarkets:

Old Pulteney 12 which is tip-top for the price.

Balvenie Doublewood, probably my favourite so far.

Auchentoshan Three Wood, lovely lovely stuff

Glenfiddich Rich Oak, pretty woody but I like this too

Aberlour 10, got it on offer at ?22, bargain at that price

Highland Park 12, pretty hard work to be honest!

Jura Superstition, very nice lightly peated number which I'm enjoying a great deal

Jura Turas Mara, duty free unopened as yet

Morlach Rare Old, expensive but really good.  Sadly it's finished now!

I've also tried a few Islay's but have struggled:  Laphroaig 10 (too much for me), Arbeg 10 (undrinkable!), Talisker 10 (tolerable), and a Bunnahabhain which was very nice indeed. 

I've also tried Glenkinchie 10 (rank), Glenmorangie 10 (meh), Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 10s (ok), Macallan Gold (ok), and Singleton 10 (ok).

Next on the list are a Glenfarclas, a Dalwhinnie and maybe the Balvenie Carribean Cask which sounds very nice indeed.

Any other recommendations to expand my horizons?  Especially interested in either travel editions (for the novelty) or maybe slightly older whiskies (say 15-18 years) which don't break the bank.

Finally, any recommendations for a blend or two which are worth trying.  I don't think I've ever had a blend that wasn't accompanied by a mixer (with the exception of Monkey Shoulder which was actually quite decent).

If you're looking for a decent blend, try the Compass Box range. Very nice indeed.

The Glendronachs are nice too if you're into sherried whisky. The 15yo keeps winning awards at the moment.

Thanks for your kind words about the Mortlach, by the way!

If you're looking for a decent blend, try the Compass Box range. Very nice indeed.

The Glendronachs are nice too if you're into sherried whisky. The 15yo keeps winning awards at the moment.

Thanks for your kind words about the Mortlach, by the way!

I have a blend called Te Bheag which is very nice. 43% and a high percentage of it is Talisker.

Archived