Whisky

Bert Le Clos

I have a blend called Te Bheag which is very nice. 43% and a high percentage of it is Talisker.

Would be surprised if that were the case. We're struggling for Talisker stocks as it is, so doubt much of it would be making its way into ?20 blends.

More likely to contain Ledaig if there's peat in there.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're looking for a decent blend, try the Compass Box range. Very nice indeed.

The Glendronachs are nice too if you're into sherried whisky. The 15yo keeps winning awards at the moment.

Thanks for your kind words about the Mortlach, by the way!

If you want some more, Mortlach 21 is my favourite whisky. Always have a bottle in the house.

If you want some more, Mortlach 21 is my favourite whisky. Always have a bottle in the house.

Is that the Gordon & MacPhail one? Very nice, though getting harder and harder to get hold of.

The old 16yo Flora and Fauna was a cracker too, though again becoming quite scarce.

Love a well-matured heavier spirit. Can't beat it.

Is that the Gordon & MacPhail one? Very nice, though getting harder and harder to get hold of.

The old 16yo Flora and Fauna was a cracker too, though again becoming quite scarce.

Love a well-matured heavier spirit. Can't beat it.

That's the one - buy it from that Scottish place on Princes Street beside BHS. 16 is lovely as well.

Might have to have a nip tonight!

Would be surprised if that were the case. We're struggling for Talisker stocks as it is, so doubt much of it would be making its way into ?20 blends.

More likely to contain Ledaig if there's peat in there.

Think it's due to the fact it's an Isle of Skye blend. We were told at Talisker that Te Bheag contained a lot of Talisker, and Te Bheag told us the same thing.

Used to hate the stuff but I've persevered with it and I'm glad I did. Toying with the idea of putting together a collection.

I was lucky enough that a few friends and family cottoned onto my new tipple over Christmas so I'm now the owner of a 10 y/o Ardbeg, a Glenmorangie Nector D'Or, a 10 y/o Talisker and a 10 y/o Aberlour.

Also got a couple of blends; a Bailie Nicol Jarvie which despite originally coming from Leith is very nice and a bottle of something called Monkey Shoulder which I was a bit worried about but is actually better than expected.

I'm thinking about picking a few more 10 y/o's then from there saving up to buy say one excellent bottle a year.

I do also have a bottle of 23 y/o Glendullan which I inherited when my Grandpa passed away 9 years ago however that's being saved for a special day.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing of any suggestions of bottles I should give a try. I've obviously got pretty popular bottles so far so I'm interested in discovering some lesser known malts. Also heard good things about some Japanese whiskies if anyone has any experience they'd like to share?

This is the best whisky I know of, and I'm with the sherry cask Spey-side community. 

glendronach_15_revival.jpg

John Gentleman

G

This is the best whisky I know of, and I'm with the sherry cask Spey-side community. 

glendronach_15_revival.jpgGoood, 

glendronach_15_revival.jpgGood, I'd agree, but Glenfarclas just shades it for me.

alwaysthereinspirit

Last week I had a couple of shots of Dewars Scratched Cask. More Bourbon like than Scotch. Went over nice though. Quite smooth and no real after taste.

I'm planning on buying a bottle of Haig Club whisky for my Dad's birthday in a few weeks. He's big on the stuff but as much as I've tried to enjoy it I just can't!! Ive seen Beckham on the adverts and it's ?60 a bottle. Looks a safe bet in my eyes. Will it do as a good present?

I'm planning on buying a bottle of Haig Club whisky for my Dad's birthday in a few weeks. He's big on the stuff but as much as I've tried to enjoy it I just can't!! Ive seen Beckham on the adverts and it's ?60 a bottle. Looks a safe bet in my eyes. Will it do as a good present?

It's a nice enough grain whisky, if that's your thing. Nice bottle too. You shouldn't have to pay ?60 for it though, usually it's closer to ?40

You'll find it on The Whiskey Exchange website for ?44.95

It's a nice enough grain whisky, if that's your thing. Nice bottle too. You shouldn't have to pay ?60 for it though, usually it's closer to ?40

Aye think I'm gonna go for it! Cheers guys. I seen it for that price in asda but I'll have a proper look about

Mr Brightside

Is your dad big on whisky or on Haig Club. If he is a whisky lover in general I would argue their is much better whisky available at around the same price point. Balvennie Caribbean cask can be found for around ?45 as an example.

Is your dad big on whisky or on Haig Club. If he is a whisky lover in general I would argue their is much better whisky available at around the same price point. Balvennie Caribbean cask can be found for around ?45 as an example.

he likes his whisky aye, I have little knowledge on what bottles are better than others tbh , only reason I'd singled that one was the advert on TV

I have just poured my last dram from a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood, liquid gold.

Finished one the other day while camping at Aviemore, luckily though I have another bottle, along with the Caribbean Cask 14 year old :2thumbsup:

Mr Brightside

he likes his whisky aye, I have little knowledge on what bottles are better than others tbh , only reason I'd singled that one was the advert on TV

Just a personal opinion here but if your dad likes a whisky it is likely to be a single malt and I would avoid haig club as I think you pay for the marketing rather than substance. Check what kind he has / likes and get something similar.

Just a personal opinion here but if your dad likes a whisky it is likely to be a single malt and I would avoid haig club as I think you pay for the marketing rather than substance. Check what kind he has / likes and get something similar.

nice one mate, cheers

Royal Salute in the maroon bottle could be a winner aswell

Other option for the good colour front is the Dalmore 12. 

It's rather nice as well.

Recently bought a Dalmore 12, not opened it yet, but it's got a nice colour scheme. 

0010000035711_xl.jpg

I've tried Haig Club and thought it was pretty decent, but not something I would buy often or buy a bottle of for myself. 

I think it would probably mix well and be a good cocktail base, 

Other option for the good colour front is the Dalmore 12. 

It's rather nice as well.

I've tried Haig Club and thought it was pretty decent, but not something I would buy often or buy a bottle of for myself. 

I think it would probably mix well and be a good cocktail base, 

I'll price this one out, cheers mate

better price, think I've found a winner. spot on :thumbsup:

I agree, Haig club is just a grain whisky. They've stuck Beckham on the advert, given it a nifty bottle and charged ?25 more than they should be able too.

You can get some brilliant Single Malts for ?40.

I agree, Haig club is just a grain whisky. They've stuck Beckham on the advert, given it a nifty bottle and charged ?25 more than they should be able too.

You can get some brilliant Single Malts for ?40.

Beckham had me sold on it 

Bert Le Clos

Got my old man a whisky tasting experience at Whisky & Cigars on Jeffrey Street for father's day and we went last week. The guy that owns the place and did the tasting was brilliant, really knowledgeable and couldn't have been more helpful. Randomly he's a Mexican guy who came here years ago to study law but he certainly knows his stuff about whisky.

The deal was meant to be tasting 4 whiskies but we made it clear pretty early on that we intended on buying a bottle each and we ended up tasting 8 or 9.

One we tried turned out to be an Auchentoshen which I'd never really fancied but found it very good.

I bought a bottle of Stronachie 10 y/o on the advice of the owner. Based partly on the feedback I gave him from the tasting but also because they've stopped making it so there's limited bottles left for sale.

The place is well worth a visit.

My favourite is the Balvennie but i did try the Haig club in the BA lounge over ice and i loved it! It was amazing.

• 2 months later...

Just opened the bottle of 23 y/o Glendullan that I inherited from my Grandpa when he passed, after the arrival of my first born today.

Bottled in 1973, 59%.

Oh ya ****er. Fiery doesn't come close. Exactly what I needed. Looking forward to sharing a few drams with two new Grandpa's over the coming weeks.

luckyBatistuta

Just opened the bottle of 23 y/o Glendullan that I inherited from my Grandpa when he passed, after the arrival of my first born today.

Bottled in 1973, 59%.

Oh ya ######. Fiery doesn't come close. Exactly what I needed. Looking forward to sharing a few drams with two new Grandpa's over the coming weeks.

Congrats mate

Bottled in 1973, 59%.

Oh ya ######. Fiery doesn't come close. Exactly what I needed. Looking forward to sharing a few drams with two new Grandpa's over the coming weeks.

Oh, so that's what the medical emergency was ;) not heard of Glendullan so I'll need to go have a little research session. Is it a signatory bottling by any chance?

Also, congratulations :)

alwaysthereinspirit

Bottled in 1973, 59%.

Congrats. Looks like your whisky is discontinued and will be hard for others to get a taste of. Lucky you.

Congrats. Looks like your whisky is discontinued and will be hard for others to get a taste of. Lucky you.

Thanks folks.

Yeah it's one of the Rare Malts Selection. Got it valued and it's worth quite a bit and I'd toyed with selling it.

Decided it's made to be drunk though and yesterday seemed appropriate to crack it open. Special occasions only mind!

jambos are go!

Tesco selling Chivas at ?20 a bottle at the moment but seems to fly off the shelf. Great Christmas present.  Plus Bells at ?15 a litre. Even cheaper if you use rewards or these vouchers they send out regularly(to me at least). Personally, malts are at their best in a good blend.

I had a decent sample of this at the Foodies Festival at the weekend and it was excellent. I'm just about finished my Lagavullan 16 and this will be it's replacement in my Islay section.

It's not overpoweringly smoky and has been blended beautifully.

Good reviews online too... https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10738.aspx

63207-normal.png

I've had a bottle of that before. It didn't last long.

Just waiting on my new consignment of 12yo Glen Ord. It's been discontinued but its a lovely drop if you can find it.

• 2 months later...

Think this was one of the thread updates that got lost the other day....

Just wondering if anyone knows anything more about the whiskey that the Hearts shop will be selling? There was a mention of it in the last match programme but didnt have any further details. Anyone know when we will start selling it? And also how much it will be roughly? And will it be decent quality?

Thanks

Glendronach 15 Year Revival - simply the best, and fast running out of stock. 

Nothing comes close. 

glendronach-15yo-revival25.jpg

Used to hate the stuff but I've persevered with it and I'm glad I did. Toying with the idea of putting together a collection.

I was lucky enough that a few friends and family cottoned onto my new tipple over Christmas so I'm now the owner of a 10 y/o Ardbeg, a Glenmorangie Nector D'Or, a 10 y/o Talisker and a 10 y/o Aberlour.

Also got a couple of blends; a Bailie Nicol Jarvie which despite originally coming from Leith is very nice and a bottle of something called Monkey Shoulder which I was a bit worried about but is actually better than expected.

I'm thinking about picking a few more 10 y/o's then from there saving up to buy say one excellent bottle a year.

I do also have a bottle of 23 y/o Glendullan which I inherited when my Grandpa passed away 9 years ago however that's being saved for a special day.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing of any suggestions of bottles I should give a try. I've obviously got pretty popular bottles so far so I'm interested in discovering some lesser known malts. Also heard good things about some Japanese whiskies if anyone has any experience they'd like to share?

Nothing comes close. 

Nothing comes close.

It's definitely my favourite. Got a bottle for Christmas and I love it.

• 3 weeks later...
3fingersreid

seems a strange one but I got given a bottle of Lagavullin 16 year old 70 cl for my birthday but no idea why as I don't actually drink the stuff , is it a good whisky or not ?

seems a strange one but I got given a bottle of Lagavullin 16 year old 70 cl for my birthday but no idea why as I don't actually drink the stuff , is it a good whisky or not ?

One of the best.

3fingersreid

One of the best.

I guess I'll need to take your word for it as it'll be staying in the bottle :)

Really don't like whisky !!!

I guess I'll need to take your word for it as it'll be staying in the bottle :)

Really don't like whisky !!!

you should move your post to  the Im coming out thread imo......joking aside , relaxed one evening open her up ,pour 2 glasses and sip away , not to be gulped , you may be surprised

It's ****ing tremendous.*

*though I would say that, as I probably picked the blend...

Fitzroy Pointon

It's the old mans 60th in a few weeks.  We have got him a few gifts already (tokens, tickets to Field Marshall Montgomery etc) but we need a whisky to top it off.  Looking to spend around ?50 or under. Been having a look online and have narrowed it down to a few: 

Macallan Gold 

Dalmore 12yo 

Balvennie 12yo 

Auchentoshan 12yo

If anybody with a superior knowledge of malts can recommend the best one out of the lot that would be appreciated.  

It's ******* tremendous.*

*though I would say that, as I probably picked the blend...

What's your opinion of the Lagavulin Distillers Edition? 

(Double matured, 2014 bottling) 

Aultmore of the Foggie Moss - available on Whisk y Exchange is a fantastic. Anyone who likes Balvenie I think ought to give it a go - my father-in-law doesn't stray much from his double wood and while it's not the same he was suitably impressed.

What's your opinion of the Lagavulin Distillers Edition? 

(Double matured, 2014 bottling) 

It's good stuff, probably works better as a DE than the Talisker or Caol Ila. If you're able to find the 1991 DE, that's an absolute belter. Can't imagine it'd be cheap these days though...

Archived