Why Don't We Go For Craig Levein

Green Tree

He has now been at UTD for 2 years or so.

Until a Championship club have a vacancy?

He missed out on that but still appears to be happy to dump 'Well this Summer.

Maybe because he knew back in March where his future lay? At the end of the day, money talks - whether you re CL, MM or any other manager.

Drylaw Hearts
Until a Championship club have a vacancy?

Maybe because he knew back in March where his future lay? At the end of the day, money talks - whether you re CL, MM or any other manager.

The point is CL appears to give a Club around 3 years of service.

Which is probably above average for a Managerial position.

MM appears to give a club his resignation letter within mintues of his signing on fee hitting his Bank Account.

Commitment is not a word associated with Mr McGhee.

Mark my words if he joins Hearts he will be gone within 18 months to 2 years.

Maximum.

My only hope is that he does make a job of it whilst he's here making it an attractive option for someone again.

The problem then may be that VR cannot rely on UK Managers loyalty.

:confused:

Only a Game
The point is CL appears to give a Club around 3 years of service.

Which is probably above average for a Managerial position.

MM appears to give a club his resignation letter within mintues of his signing on fee hitting his Bank Account.

Commitment is not a word associated with Mr McGhee.

Mark my words if he joins Hearts he will be gone within 18 months to 2 years.

Maximum.

My only hope is that he does make a job of it whilst he's here making it an attractive option for someone again.

The problem then may be that VR cannot rely on UK Managers loyalty.

:confused:

We wont be able to keep a hold of ANY manager who gets a better financial offer to go to another club. Whether thats after a year or 3 years it will always be the case, unless we match money on offer elsewhere, that any successful manager will be off.

The only way to avoid your manager being headhunted is to get a manager in that no-one is going to head-hunt. And the point to doing this is ?

If McGhee is a success in year one, we should be planning to give him more money/benefits in year 2 so that he's not tempted to leave. Performance related incentives they call it. I'm sure Vlad must have heard of it. If Motherwell had the financial resources to keep McGhee he wouldnt even be thinking about coming here or even going elsewhere.

The bottom line is

If McGhee is Hearts manager and gets a better offer he would go

If Levein is Hearts manager and gets a better offer he would go.

If ANYONE is Hearts manager and they get a better offer they would go.

There is no difference, not only between McGhee and Levein, but between them and any other manager.

Drylaw Hearts
We wont be able to keep a hold of ANY manager who gets a better financial offer to go to another club. Whether thats after a year or 3 years it will always be the case, unless we match money on offer elsewhere, that any successful manager will be off.

The only way to avoid your manager being headhunted is to get a manager in that no-one is going to head-hunt. And the point to doing this is ?

If McGhee is a success in year one, we should be planning to give him more money/benefits in year 2 so that he's not tempted to leave. Performance related incentives they call it. I'm sure Vlad must have heard of it. If Motherwell had the financial resources to keep McGhee he wouldnt even be thinking about coming here or even going elsewhere.

The bottom line is

If McGhee is Hearts manager and gets a better offer he would go

If Levein is Hearts manager and gets a better offer he would go.

If ANYONE is Hearts manager and they get a better offer they would go.

There is no difference, not only between McGhee and Levein, but between them and any other manager.

I agree.

But as I've said McGhee has a reputation for dumping clubs not that long after signing a deal with them.

Reading, Leicester City and Motherwell have all suffered from his apparent eagerness to 'leave when the next decent offer comes along' attitude.

The other 3 Clubs he's managed he's been sacked.

I fear he may not be the answer to the stability we currently crave.

I agree.

But as I've said McGhee has a reputation for dumping clubs not that long after signing a deal with them.

Reading, Leicester City and Motherwell have all suffered from his apparent eagerness to 'leave when the next decent offer comes along' attitude.

The other 3 Clubs he's managed he's been sacked.

I fear he may not be the answer to the stability we currently crave.

He has an agreement with Motherwell that he can walk away at the end of this season if he gets a better offer - same as Levein with Raith.

Drylaw Hearts
He has an agreement with Motherwell that he can walk away at the end of this season if he gets a better offer - same as Levein with Raith.

MM signed a 2 year deal and will walk away before he's reached 12 months of the contract.

This is the 3rd time he will have signed a deal and dumped his club within 12 months of putting pen to paper.

CL did not sign any deal with Raith.

Both Raith and CL knew that he was only going to be there for a short period of time.

MM signed a 2 year deal and will walk away before he's reached 12 months of the contract.

Yes, but only because:

a) He had the clause inserted that allowed him to do that - this must have suited Motherwell at the time or they wouldn't have agreed to this, surely?

B) We've given him the opportunity to quadruple his salary and raise his profile even higher.

What would you do in these circumstances?

Drylaw Hearts
Yes, but only because:

a) He had the clause inserted that allowed him to do that - this must have suited Motherwell at the time or they wouldn't have agreed to this, surely?

B) We've given him the opportunity to quadruple his salary and raise his profile even higher.

What would you do in these circumstances?

What I'd do is totally irrelevant.

What is best for Hearts IS irrelevant and employing a Manager with itchy feet along with having an owner who has an itchy trigger finger is not a good combination.

It's another short term fix imo.

ToadKiller Dog

Is he a manager with itchy feet ? most of his clubs he has managed he was there for around 3 years ,which at english championship level a decent period ,you could argue that he has never managed at a club with the ability to sustain long term succses to match his ambitions,are we a club that could match that ?

Dirk Diggler

1991–1994 - Reading

1994–1995 - Leicester

1995–1998 - Wolves

2000–2003 - Millwall

2003–2006 - Brighton

2007– Motherwell

McGhee is better than Levein. That's why we'r going for McGhee. Does that answer your question?

Drylaw Hearts
Is he a manager with itchy feet ? most of his clubs he has managed he was there for around 3 years ,which at english championship level a decent period ,you could argue that he has never managed at a club with the ability to sustain long term succses to match his ambitions,are we a club that could match that ?

He dropped Reading just weeks/months after commiting to a New long term deal.

He then dropped his next Club, Leicester City less than a year after joining them for Wolves he had a mediocre spell there and was eventually sacked.

After a while out of football he joined Millwall only to get sacked after a fall-out with the owner. He then joined B&HA only to get sacked again.

He then joined Motherwell a year or so later only to be ready to leave less than 4 months into his first Season.

So out of 6 jobs he's ripped up a contract before the ink was dry, been sacked from 3 jobs and left/will leave the other 2 within a year of joining them.

He's not exactly got me thinking he's a long'ish term option.

Dirk Diggler

Good post DH, When you read it like that.........

I'd still prefer him to Levein.

;)

He dropped Reading just weeks/months after commiting to a New long term deal.

He then dropped his next Club, Leicester City less than a year after joining them for Wolves he had a mediocre spell there and was eventually sacked.

After a while out of football he joined Millwall only to get sacked after a fall-out with the owner. He then joined B&HA only to get sacked again.

He then joined Motherwell a year or so later only to be ready to leave less than 4 months into his first Season.

So out of 6 jobs he's ripped up a contract before the ink was dry, been sacked from 3 jobs and left/will leave the other 2 within a year of joining them.

What about if he came here and actually won something, would that make him stay ???

Drylaw Hearts
Good post DH, When you read it like that.........

I'd still prefer him to Levein.

;)

We will obviously disagree on that.

I hope MM does do a good job.

But I just can't see him being here for more than a Season/Season and a 1/2.

If he does join Celtic eventually will we have to put that extra 'h' in his name or is the one he already have be enough ?

Mcghee or McGhhee ?

:P

Dirk Diggler

If he does join Celtic eventually will we have to put that extra 'h' in his name or is the one he already have be enough ?

Mcghee or McGhhee ?

Mhark MhcGhee.

Drylaw Hearts
What about if he came here and actually won something, would that make him stay ???

I would say no.

But that is a guess based on his previous/current 'jump ship' outlook on Football Management.

PresidentRomanov

Mcghee or McGhhee ?

Only super sleeky, two faced types, get the extra h in their name.

Paul Hartley still only has the one :)

Dirk Diggler

Paul Hartley still only has the one :)

Although at times Paul becomes his middle name and John his first.

:)

Sounds like the perfect man for the job with that track record.;)

Drylaw Hearts

Then surely MM qualifies for that extra 'h' ?

PresidentRomanov
Then surely MM qualifies for that extra 'h' ?

Unless he self styles himself as Mr Hearts, then does the dirty on us, then no he doesn't.

Mark McGhee will come in and do a job, and be well paid for it - and he won't pretend otherwise.

Unless he self styles himself as Mr Hearts

I don't think he will. He views this purely as a business transaction.

I'm neutral to negative on his appointment as I remember him from his sellik and sheep dhays. :sad: He's got his work cut out to win me over.

PresidentRomanov

I'm neutral to negative on his appointment as I remember him from his sellik and sheep dhays. :sad: He's got his work cut out to win me over.

Same here - although with Mr Romanov's financial backing, I think he might :)

Dirk Diggler

:) Just for you.

1628406.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6C61846600C46AED49930FDCFC4C15FBB

Hated him as a player, delighted he'll be our next manager.

Edit - Is Billy Stark taking a slash?

Drylaw Hearts
:) Just for you.

1628406.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6C61846600C46AED49930FDCFC4C15FBB

Hated him as a player, delighted he'll be our next manager.

Edit - Is Billy Stark taking a slash?

I despised him as a player.

For 2 seasons in particular he was a pain in the erse for us.

As a Manager I think he'll do a good job but I just don't think he'll be there for long.

troonjambo
Unless he self styles himself as Mr Hearts, then does the dirty on us, then no he doesn't.

Mark McGhee will come in and do a job, and be well paid for it - and he won't pretend otherwise.

while I disagree with you about SP, I agree about mm and while I would have preferred levein personally all we (hearts) need is our employees to do the job there being paid handsomely for in a professional and competent manner the lack of which has been core to all our problems this season and most of last for that matter

i am however not in the slightest bit crazy about having the next celtic manager in waiting at hearts as the one thing i loved about the "revolution" was no longer being in the feeder club for the old firm bracket but beggers cant be chosers and as mitch would say WE NEED A MANAGER

Green Tree
Great idea....11 men defending on the goal line:confused:

-----------------------------

A lot of good valid comments though thiis pesh. To remember his whole time managing the JT's and think this is nonsense..;)

To stress again not being a McGhee boo-boy (if ithappens) he may well do well. Long term I think CL could be the man. Opinion.

As someone else said when commenting on CL - compared to what we are doing just now??!!

I have met Craig often, like him but would not take him back. He left us and there are better managers about eg MM and Davies. Craig should stay a few years where he is and get a job in the Championship.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Its the exect same thing that walter smith was critised for....... and look at what he has achieved as a manager. Nearly won the european cup with a bunch of amature footballers and would have lead scotland the the to euro 2008 had he stuck with them.

Levin has more football knowlage, tactical no-how, disire and most importantly, passion than smtih.

People who critisise levin are basing there crisism purely on one bad game. Thats unfair because he did come third twice with no money and no support from the board.

kingantti1874

I'd take levein in a heart beat, before any other candidate realistic

or otherwise! His style of play was dictated by the ability of the players he could get with a limited budget, I for one think he would be very special managing players of

ability! Plus, he is hearts to the core, He is unrealistic at this time though as I don't believe he will return unless we are under new ownership. I am very happy with the potential oppointment of mm though.

Archived