Why Don't We Go For Craig Levein

Green Tree

Green Tree

The guys class, talks sense knows the game and LOVES the Hearts. Ok loads of folk will slate this maybe though if we are now at the point where we are looking to a future successful manager with us, long term appointment, why not push for Levein? See if he would come. I think, with all the supposed guarantees written into contract etc- he would.

1 Review by December if doing well you stay

2 Review by Decemmber if it's not happening you get compo

win-win.

cosanostra

Are you for real?

He's already said to numerous kickbackers that he would never work for the Romanovs and he will not leave Dundee United when Eddie Thompson is still around.

No chance at all.

Dirk Diggler

Been there, done that and I didn't like the t-shirt.

New start.

CL couldn't provide that.

Rawrrrrrrr

Most likely because he would tell us were to go

There were rumours at the time romanov and he didnt see eye to eye which contributed to his departure around the time of the takeover, furthermore dundee utd have shrewdly let him onto their board etc to try and keep him in the "family"

Lochend Brazil

Harry potter walked out at a crucial time for us, yes come back Craig all is forgiving. The wee team got bent over and done doggy by Ihun Murray when he done the dirty, now the ****** have accepted him back. Wonder if he like Levein would do the dirty again.

Rawrrrrrrr
Hoofball to DeVries or McKenna again = No thanks

Aye I much prefer getting humped by the likes of gretna and st mirren

Green Tree

Ha ha. Fair play chaps. If McGhee s not a PR stunt then fine. I want a manager & like Levein & am not waiting for Ranieri, Robson, Keegan etc to keep being linked. I would initially behappy with apppointment of any manager and think McGhee may be good.

A manager for a football team = good.

Re the harry potter shout - get back to hobos net.

Sandy jambo - it is your mum but its only a dream.

Green Tree

-----------------------------------

Correct - and every face a happy face in Bordeaux. Master tactician is what I heard. Happy days indeed.

Ha ha. Fair play chaps. If McGhee s not a PR stunt then fine. I want a manager & like Levein & am not waiting for Ranieri, Robson, Keegan etc to keep being linked. I would initially behappy with apppointment of any manager and think McGhee may be good.

A manager for a football team = good.

Re the harry potter shout - get back to hobos net.

Sandy jambo - it is your mum but its only a dream.

Absolutely not a PR stunt.

Rawrrrrrrr
-----------------------------------

Correct - and every face a happy face in Bordeaux. Master tactician is what I heard. Happy days indeed.

Exactly forget 06

That game for me was just slightly better than the the semi humping of hibs

Levein played to win games, not play pretty football, it worked more often than not

Dirk Diggler

I'm sure you do.

Lochend Brazil

The guy mentioned Levein to start of with and Hans mentioned hoffball was a thing of the past. For some reason you mentioned Gretna and St Midden(never humped us btw) when he challenged leveins abitlity. Could you have not said that he is better than the current set up etc rather than talk your usual guff.

CornhillHearts

He gets a sore tummy when the going gets tough and bottles it tactically in european ties at home when you win away.

The Real Maroonblood
He gets a sore tummy when the going gets tough and bottles it tactically in european ties at home when you win away.

That still hacks me off thinking about that game.

Rudolf's Mate

Bottom line was he was a young and still is a young manager with lots to learn.

As for bottle! Unfortuantely what he had to work with meant that we were not going to be able to attack them at home. People forget that they were a really good team & my personal view was that we shocked them with the away game and that simply wasn't going to happen in the second tie!

Levein played to win games,

I would beg to differ on that. IMO as a manager he set out his team not to get beat, winning was a bonus. (as a player i would agree he 'played to win games')

As J.F. said, been there, done that, got the t-shirt..................no thanks.

More than happy with MM. he plays the type of football I want to watch and that can be a blessing.

When losing a game and you have played good football and just not got the breaks , you can leave feeling hard done by...when you lose because of trying not to concede and play the long ball...then you leave feeling the system is flawed.

bring on the fast flowing attacking football what mm believes in!!!

Pants Shaton

What a pile of horse sh*t.

What a pile of horse sh*t.

Are you trying to say he got it tactically correct in our home game v Bordeaux? :eek:

The guys class, talks sense knows the game and LOVES the Hearts. Ok loads of folk will slate this maybe though if we are now at the point where we are looking to a future successful manager with us, long term appointment, why not push for Levein? See if he would come. I think, with all the supposed guarantees written into contract etc- he would.

win-win.

I'd have him.

Bottom line is that he's a Hearts man,........whereas McGhee ........???

Yup, he made a few mistakes before when cutting his managerial teeth at the top level. But one things for sure, he hates the OF, GFA and all the hypocrisy and lack of honesty and integrity that goes with it as much as any Hearts fan.

He'd do for me, but I believe his previous history with the Romanovs and his understandable loyalty to Eddie Thompson/Dundee Utd will make this a non starter.

Are you trying to say he got it tactically correct in our home game v Bordeaux? :eek:

We were undone that night by one of the best goals you'll ever see at Tynie. You couldn't really legislate for that.

After that, and with the score at 1-1 against one of the top French sides, it was as much theirs to win as it was ours.

Maybe Levein could have done something different. I don't rememeber at the time thinking that he had done anything wrong in particular.

That result just put into perspective how good a result the first leg was.

And lets face it, Levein must have done something right on that night to come away with a 1-0 win.

win-win.

He left us a week before one of our biggest european games.

No thanks - his loyalties don't lie with Hearts.

We were undone that night by one of the best goals you'll ever see at Tynie. You couldn't really legislate for that.

After that, and with the score at 1-1 against one of the top French sides, it was as much theirs to win as it was ours.

Maybe Levein could have done something different. I don't rememeber at the time thinking that he had done anything wrong in particular.

That result just put into perspective how good a result the first leg was.

And lets face it, Levein must have done something right on that night to come away with a 1-0 win.

We set up that night so defensively that it was untrue - no intention of trying to attack them at home. "Let's hold what we have" was the (only) plan and when they scored early on, there was no Plan B.

An alternative would have been to have a real go and possibly score another goal against them - I don't think they would have come back from that but we virtually handed them the tie on the night and went out with hardly a whimper.

Only a Game
I'd have him.

Bottom line is that he's a Hearts man,........whereas McGhee ........???

Yup, he made a few mistakes before when cutting his managerial teeth at the top level. But one things for sure, he hates the OF, GFA and all the hypocrisy and lack of honesty and integrity that goes with it as much as any Hearts fan.

He'd do for me, but I believe his previous history with the Romanovs and his understandable loyalty to Eddie Thompson/Dundee Utd will make this a non starter.

Being a Hearts man and hating the Old Firm etc are hardly at the top end of qualifications for the job though are they.

Plus, McGhee, a Celtic man, just sent a team out that took vital points (potentially) off Celtic in the title race, so I dont think we have any worries on that score.

PS I dont think a Hearts man, i.e someone who puts Hearts first ahead of anything else in football, would have walked out in the middle of a European campaign.

You are right though. Its a complete non starter.

Has anyone done some empirical research into the correlation between Pressley-hating and Levein-disliking among Kickbackers?

Personally, would take CL in an instant, but also happy if it is to be MM.

We were undone that night when the team line up was announced..............a full house at Tynecastle went flat when it became apparant that we were set up 'not to lose'.................well that idea went straight oot the windae.

Only a Game
Has anyone done some empirical research into the correlation between Pressley-hating and Levein-disliking among Kickbackers?

Personally, would take CL in an instant, but also happy if it is to be MM.

I'd take Pressley back at the club in a minute. I'd be a bit pee'd off if we got Levein after we've chased McGhee, a far superior manager IMO.

Dunno how that sits with whatever your point was ?

win-win.

Great idea....11 men defending on the goal line:confused:

As soon as Levein heard in Oct 2004 that Romanov was on his way, he wanted out. He also wanted to try his luck with Leicester City so it couldn't have come at a better time for him. Did he know something that we didn't? that's why Robertson was appointed by Robinson, the wee man was always going to be a short term appointment 'til Romanov got in. Why would Craig Levein come back to Hearts with MadVlad in charge? Maybe if he beggared off back to Lithuania, Levein would think about it but theres no chance of it happening the way things are at the club.

CL would not come back to Hearts as long as Vlad is at the club.

Also got a secure job at the arabs ..

We set up that night so defensively that it was untrue - no intention of trying to attack them at home. "Let's hold what we have" was the (only) plan and when they scored early on, there was no Plan B.

An alternative would have been to have a real go and possibly score another goal against them - I don't think they would have come back from that but we virtually handed them the tie on the night and went out with hardly a whimper.

I disagree.

It was a 180 minute tie. We were 1-0 up after half of the time had elapsed and with no real reason to chase the game.

We weren't playing a team of nobodies. They were a class act and had the potential to do us serious damage had we tried to open out.

It's fairly easy in hindsight to suggest what we should have done, but if one of their players has the ability to stick it in the postage stamp from over 30 yards out, then there's not really too much you can do about that.

On 99 different occassions, that shot would probably have ended up in row 26 and Levien's tactics, although not pretty, may well have been vindicated. Had they not scored that 1st, would they have the same space to score the 2nd ? We'll never know. Tell you what though, I'll bet he's learned from it, and is a better manager for it.

I'd still have Levein as an option for manager bearing in mind what Vlad's previous appointments were. If we don't get McGoo, and I've no real dislike for him I suppose, I'd prefer Levein rather than another of Vlad's yes men in the job by the start of next season. And that unfortunately, is a real possibility.

But heh !,...............it's just not going to happen.

$ilvery_Moon

I'd have CL back in a flash. There is absolutely no way he'd ever come back though.

win-win.

Is this the same Craig Levein who walked out on us to join......Leicester City.....on the eve of one of our biggest ever games? If so, no thanks.

Jamboross98

win-win.

He chose to leave before he met Vlad, IMO, he's had his chance. Even when he was in charge with all the cost cutting, he played the same tactics as he has played with Leicester and United. Not interested in watching 10 men back for every corner again. Mark McGhee WILL be manager.

PS - Levein will be the next Rangers manager, plays similar tactics.

Denny Crane
Levein played to win games

You obviously don't remember the disgraceful tactics (and I use that term loosely) at Parkhead a few seasons back? We lost that game 2-0 thanks to an ultra-defensive strategy that Celtic were tearing apart at will. When the second went in early in the second half, he still insisted we stick to the (ahem) 10-0-0 formation that he seemed to be using that day.

Plus his pre-match conferences before one of the Old Firm always had the "we can't compete with them" line. Hardly inspiring stuff (mind Skovdahl at Aberdeen came out with this nonsense too) for both the players and fans. Far too negative for me and as for his perchant for the long ball......still remember the crick I would get in my neck watching it.

A great player for us, but I don't think I would want another spell of his style of management.

WorldChampions1902

CL's departure was as much down to 'off-field' problems as it was to behind the scenes matters at Tynecastle. VR also asked CL to reconsider his decision to leave but the die was cast.

Levein loves Hearts to the core and he has said this many, many times. I strongly believe that a much wiser Levein, large transfer budget and a VR promise to let him get on with things would be a powerful formula for success.

A shame it won't happen. :(

Glamorgan Jambo
CL's departure was as much down to 'off-field' problems as it was to behind the scenes matters at Tynecastle. VR also asked CL to reconsider his decision to leave but the die was cast.

Levein loves Hearts to the core and he has said this many, many times. I strongly believe that a much wiser Levein, large transfer budget and a VR promise to let him get on with things would be a powerful formula for success.

A shame it won't happen. :(

I'm fairly sure he said he'd been looking to get away from Tynie for about a year before he got the job at Leicester. His 'relish' for testing himself in the group stages of the UEFA cup evaporated at the sight of the Leicester City pay check in the same way that McGhee's enthusiasm for Motherwell's UEFA cup campaign has strangely disappeared at the sight of Vlad's litus.

Having said all that i'm not as opposed as some to his return. His level of loyalty is the same as any other managers and he definitely gives 100% to whoever he's working for. I see him and McGhee being at about the same level as managers with Levein's strengths being in defence and McGhees more in attack. They're also both still very damaged goods south of the border and will have to do more than finish 3rd or even turn a club around from 15 yrs of decline (DU) before anyone would consider them for a job in the championship. League 1 or 2 would be the best either would get for the time being.

He completely screwed up the Bordeaux home tie but I'm sure he knows it and he wouldn't repeat the mistake. I was quite impressed with DUFC in the diddy cup final.

I just hope we get someone of their proven calibre in the SPL.

ToadKiller Dog

If CL has ambitions then next season will be his last at united or he will go stale,like mcgoo at well there is not much more he could do there maybe another decent cup run,they maybe could have taken 3rd this year ,they might be near that again next season,but as there poor crowds (like well)they dont have the base there to sustain long term success,but there support will expect him to get them a cup final and maybe europe as there ambitions will be up and next years is there centenary year .

I dont think Hearts are in his plans for his career over the next period.

HillmanHearts

Only my feelings & some unsubstantuated seccond hand info : - But I think he was sounded out round about Xmas - and after much soul searching he decided that, primaly due the Eddie Thomson situation ( as well as other factors like the the tight group of players he has at UTD and the VR interference scenario ) he decided that it was not the right time to come back.

While he was Jambo MGR he got the very best out of the players we could afford at the time.

I personally would love him back. To be honest - the fact that he is staying at UTD shows to me he is a very honorable guy - coz I think he is at the end of the day a Jambo & feels at home at Tynecastle. Not to mention the fact that we could also triple his salary !!

A class player - A class manager - A class guy - Only my opinion mind you !

WorldChampions1902
Only my feelings & some unsubstantuated seccond hand info : - But I think he was sounded out round about Xmas - a

That's a VERY interesting piece of info and might explain one of Roman Romanov's 'dummy spitting' incidents at the AGM. At the start of that meeting, one shareholder got tore in about Rodders and suggested CL as someone who would be a suitable Manager to which RR replied something along the lines that their preferred options were not available (at that moment in time).

So maybe old Vlad did approach CL? Interesting! :waiting:

Graham Thomson

yeh, like the football

yeh, like the football we are playing now is just superb.......

HillmanHearts

Yeh! - I hate humping the hobbos Five - One !!!!!!!

Toxteth O'Grady

I was speaking to a Leicester City fan yesterday.

His views on Levein was that he brought in too many poor players, e.g. Maybury and DeVries (who he called Deep Freeze). He thought Kisnorbro has turned out to be a decent signing eventually since they have been using him at centre back.

He said McGhee would not be welcome back at the Walkers as they haven't forgiven him for walking out on them.

He said they have a few good young platers who he felt should be given more of a chance rather than being sent on loan. He mentioned Alan Sheehan, Billy McKay (a goal machine allegedly) and Eric Odhiambo (who has been at Dundee Utd).

Drylaw Hearts

I really wish we had gone for CL.

IF MM does become Manager something tells me it won't be for long.

He is a serial quitter of Clubs and would further cement his reputation by leaving 'Well after such a short period of time.

I really wish we had gone for CL.

IF MM does become Manager something tells me it won't be for long.

He is a serial quitter of Clubs and would further cement his reputation by leaving 'Well after such a short period of time.

What's the difference? Levein quit Cowdenbeath for Hearts, Hearts for Leicester and Raith rovers for Dundee Utd, although to be fair I think he was working without a contract at Raith.

Also, bearing in mind that CL wants to return South "to prove himself", can't really see the difference.

http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/03/16/SPL-Levein-wants-to-go-down-south/?facets/sport-space/football/north-america-locale/Dundee-Utd/Clydesdale-Bank-Scottish-Premier-League/

Drylaw Hearts
What's the difference? Levein quit Cowdenbeath for Hearts, Hearts for Leicester and Raith rovers for Dundee Utd, although to be fair I think he was working without a contract at Raith.

Also, bearing in mind that CL wants to return South "to prove himself", can't really see the difference.

http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/03/16/SPL-Levein-wants-to-go-down-south/?facets/sport-space/football/north-america-locale/Dundee-Utd/Clydesdale-Bank-Scottish-Premier-League/

CL managed Cowdenbeath for 3 years before leaving for Hearts.

Hearts for 4 years before LC.

Sacked after 2 at LC.

Went to RR purely as a stop gap and without a contract.

He has now been at UTD for 2 years or so.

MM left Reading just months after agreeing a new long term deal.

He then joined LC but left them after less than a year to take over at Wolves.

He was sacked by Wolves and then sacked again at both Milwall and Brighton.

He joined 'Well last June but was already planning to leave this Summer back in November when the Scotland job became available.

He missed out on that but still appears to be happy to dump 'Well this Summer.

Is there much difference ?

IMO - YES !!!

Archived