The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Harry Palmer

Who next for Labour? 

Maybe Trapper John, jambos are go etc etc would be able to give an answer to that question.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Who next for Labour? 

Maybe Trapper John, jambos are go etc etc would be able to give an answer to that question.

Is there anyone other than Andy Burnham or Yvette Cooper?

jambo1185

What % of the vote in Scotland was for SNP and against? 

Basically 50/50.

Turnout was much lower than referendum so either a number of No voters voted SNP, or a number of No voters didn't vote.

Edited by jambo1185

dobmisterdobster

Chuka Umunna, the UK's Obama.

doctor jambo

Who next for Labour? 

I don't even think it matters.

What happened to labour last night is what SHOULD have happened at the last GE.

Proper punishment for the economic train crash was not meted out last time.

Well they got it in the teeth last night.

Labour , whether they like it or not were responsible for austerity, and now they are paying the piper

dobmisterdobster

Basically 50/50.

Turnout was much lower than referendum so either a number of No voters voted SNP, or a number of No voters didn't vote.

Significant number of No voters voted SNP.

Harry Palmer

That's about their choice. 

They'll be forming an opposition ffs.

One of the pictures of the night (one of many!)

_82847445_hi027101952.jpg

Black's performance in the coming months will be one to watch as I predicted the press will be all over her and will be setting many many traps to catch her out. Edited by Dannie Boy

Harry Palmer

Basically 50/50.

No 16/17 yo voting although not sure whether that makes any difference.

Harry Palmer

11am for South Twatnet says Alastair Stewart on ITV..

WTF are they doing?

jambo1185

Full breakdown is:-

SNP 50.0 LAB 24.3 CON 14.9 LD 7.5 UKIP 1.6 GRN 1.3

SNP surge was so huge that an extra 20,000 Tory voters still leaves them down by almost 2% in vote share. UKIP vote cost Lamont in BRS I think.

Edited by jambo1185

kingantti1874

tM65Rgrr_normal.jpeg Fraser Nelson @FraserNelson ? 13m 13 minutes ago

SNP has 95% of seats on 50% of vote. Unionists in Scotland now seriously underrepresented: three MPs now speak for half a nation.

But that's FPTP for you!

SNP get 1.4 million votes and get 56 seats.

Lib Dems get 2.3 million votes and get 6 seats.

UKIP get 3.7 million votes and get 1 seat.

Greens get 1.1 million votes and get 1 seat.

The system is badly flawed

Prince Buaben

11am for South Twatnet says Alastair Stewart on ITV..

WTF are they doing?

Not long started counting.

deesidejambo

Bollocks.  Lost 10 quid on Aberdeen South and 10 quid to the YDF on Eck.

The pressure for a second Indy referendum will be too high for Nicola to resist. 

My only solace will be if Nigel gets booted.

Victorian

I probably missed the yelps of anguish for a fairer electoral model while the 2 (and a bit) party system was in vogue.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The system is badly flawed

It's badly flawed until you realise that UKIP are probably going to wind up with one seat. Small mercies

Harry Palmer

Full breakdown is:-

SNP 50.0 LAB 24.3 CON 14.9 LD 7.5 UKIP 1.6 GRN 1.3

SNP surge was so huge that an extra 20,000 Tory voters still leaves them down by almost 2% in vote share.

:lol:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Tories the winners in Wales. Nae luck with the :pinilla: for Leeanne Wood.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Tories the winners in Wales. Nae luck with the :pinilla: for Leeanne Wood.

Would still bang though. Says a lot about the Welsh that they won't back an obvious milf. Scum.

Psychedelicropcircle

Must say the outcome still puzzles me, the exit polls I thought were way out! The one thing this election exposes is political parties are chosen by England. We or most scots don't want a Tory gov, and even if all 59 seats had been labour we'd still have a Tory gov. The most (by a bawhair) have voted for something entirely different for the usual GE elections, the Tories will have to deal differently with us as the status quo won't cut it.

Federalism please,

Gorgiewave

Must say the outcome still puzzles me, the exit polls I thought were way out! The one thing this election exposes is political parties are chosen by England. We or most scots don't want a Tory gov, and even if all 59 seats had been labour we'd still have a Tory gov. The most (by a bawhair) have voted for something entirely different for the usual GE elections, the Tories will have to deal differently with us as the status quo won't cut it.

Federalism please,

The SNP got 45% or so in 2011 and formed the government.

I probably missed the yelps of anguish for a fairer electoral model while the 2 (and a bit) party system was in vogue.

remember the referendum on changing the voting system?

Geoff Kilpatrick

If federalism is introduced, the Westminster parties won't get any credit for it, unless some cross-party convention is set up.

To do it properly, there needs to be a written constitution, a bill of rights, an elected second chamber with equalisation of nations and an agreement on what is federal power and what is devolved.

It then also needs a referendum for popular support.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Aye, sorry about the lack of mail from Leeanne forwarded your way.

She seemed quite upbeat this morning. As she should. She'll wipe a couple of Labour seats away in the assembly next year.

Apparently, Andy Burnham's pals are ringing round getting ideas of possible support for him to run as leader.

Andy Burnham would be a good choice. The way he responded to the Hillsborough campaign makes him a good guy in my eyes.

Aye, sorry about the lack of mail from Leeanne forwarded your way.

She seemed quite upbeat this morning. As she should. She'll wipe a couple of Labour seats away in the assembly next year.

Apparently, Andy Burnham's pals are ringing round getting ideas of possible support for him to run as leader.

Genuine question - what would/can he do differently. He comes across OK but not leadership material (IMO). My vote would go to Tristram Hunt - just for the rhyming slang headlines.

Rudolf's Mate

Watching local news (Portsmouth) and they were speaking to the public asking why they voted the way they did. One well spoken woman stated "I would have voted Labour however I went Conservative to stop Labour doing a deal with the SNP". 

They then speak with the Lib Dem candidate for Portsmouth highlighting there seemed to be a lot of tactical voting which he responded saying "Scotland has shown they have turned their back on the union". :wow:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Andy Burnham would be a good choice. The way he responded to the Hillsborough campaign makes him a good guy in my eyes.

Don't you think he's just an extension of the old New Labour guard? They seem incapable of moving on.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Don't you think he's just an extension of the old New Labour guard? They seem incapable of moving on.

I actually think one of the main reasons Labour lost wasn't policy. It was personality. Miliband is a drip.

freddiemac

So with Cameron offering FFA will Sturgeon accept?

snp are just about to be found out bigtime. they have been evading their cornerstone ffa like the plague all week .

Mikey1874

Don't take this the wrong way but I honestly think a lot of people up north are over-estimating the SNP factor down here. People don't like Labour because they're shit. They were proposing Ed Balls as chancellor FFS! Is that not the definition of arrogance?

whatever the reasons its a big endorsement of the Conservatives in England - a very bad result for Labour

interesting what happens and good early signs of recognising the result in Scotland

I still see Cameron and the others as wolves in sheeps clothing eg privatizing, cutting public services but he's been voted in so like SNP in Scotland I respect the voters choices in a democracy and you get what you vote for here pretty well

Achilles heal is still Europe and aside from showing they can make the new powers work for Scotland that's the big opportunity for the SNP - to put a clear dividing line over staying in EU albeit Cameron says he wants to stay in

the EU referendum is a major error with the economy fragile and the risk of business here and abroad delaying investment till outcome

but anyway here we are - no matter different ideas I'm confident Scotland can move forward positively - its a great place to live and we've lots of opportunities to build on making it better for everyone.

girvanjambo

The English voters, particularly in the South West where the lib dems were capitulated, were worried about a Labour/SNP coalition, so tactically voted Tory and succeeded in avoiding any possibility of that.

jambo1185

Does anyone know if or when you get full constituency breakdowns? Would be interested to see how my ward voted.

The Treasurer

Also how much of a tit does Russell Brand look right now?

Much the same as he's always looked and just as unfunny

hughesie27

Does anyone know if or when you get full constituency breakdowns? Would be interested to see how my ward voted.

Ehm, now? Assuming your constituency has ddeclared?

jambos are go!

Who next for Labour?

First of all congratulations to the SNP on a truly oustanding victory.

For Labour and the LibDems they must get most of the high profile Scottish losers to stand at Holyrood and try and deny the SNP a majority next year. The focus must be on Holyrood and follow the SNP in sending a few big hitters to Westminster along with a lot of cannon fodder. They must confront the SNP in Scotland on social justice and equality. They must push for PR and federalism. I am a long time supporter as a trawl through my older posts will show. It was one of the few things Shawn Lawson and I agreed on.

As far as the next Leader is concerned Alan Johnston would be a popular choice but I think a woman might get it. David Miliband might make a shock return. In other words I dont have a clue. Maybe Andy Burnam.

I want a quick re run of the referendum to settle the issue.

Edited by jambos are go!

The Treasurer

50% voted for SNP 50% voted for other parties, not against the SNP

Labour lost for two reasons.

1. Little Englanders don't want to be ruled by Scotland.

2. Ed Miliband

Succinct and to the point. I agree.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Have Owen Jones and Polly Toynbee spontaneously combusted yet?

:jjyay:

remember the referendum on changing the voting system?

A referendum which presented the option of the status quo or a form of PR no-one wanted. Designed to produce a rejection of the latter so that the two main parties could happily return to their merry duopoly. It only came about as a grubby piece of horse-trading anyway.

These latest results have once again shown that democracy in the UK is a disgraceful sham. It's just a pity that so many of those whining now about FTTP are doing so not out of a love of democracy (where were you all those times Labour achieved huge numbers of MPs on a small share of the vote?) but because their party has been absolutely gubbed and the toys are out of the pram.

As I said, grubby.

Ps: not addressed at you - I know you're LD.

Edited by leginten

Prince Buaben

First of all congratulate the SNP on a truly oustanding victory.

For Labour and the LibDems they must get most of the high profile Scottish losers to stand at Holyrood and try and deny the SNP a majority next year. The focus must be on Holyrood and follow the SNP in sending a few big hitters to Westminster along with a lot of cannon fodder. They must confront the SNP in Scotland on social justice and equality. They must push for PR and federalism. I am a long time supporter as a trawl through my older posts will show. It was one of the few things Shawn Lawson and I agreed on.

As far as the next Leader is concerned Alan Johnston would be a popular choice but I think a woman might get it. David Miliband might make a shock return. In other words I dont have a clue.

David Milliband might need a commons seat first.