• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dobmisterdobster

Labour lost for two reasons.

1. Little Englanders don't want to be ruled by Scotland.

2. Ed Miliband

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Labour must focus on policy, policy, policy, not the constitution. The SNP's basic sums and logic are wrong, focus on that. Don't let them have the initiative.

Labour need a big fight amongst themselves about what they want to be and who is the right person to take them forward.

A big defeat is the time for proper self-examination. Labour lost Scotland, but they also lost England: didn't take any 2010 Lib Dem voters; let UKIP eat into their vote shares; didn't put up a fight in the majority of Lab-Con marginals outside of London. 

And, if you listen very carefully to what Osborne said earlier, some form of increased Devolution or Fedaralism is coming down the road. The ticking timebomb in that is FFA - we raise what we spend.

Careful what you ask for....,.

well that is what I want. FFA and we can break the apron strings and spend what we earn

The Mighty Thor

Labour must focus on policy, policy, policy. 

They'll have 5 years to get their shit together. Actually that's not right. They'll most likely have 10-20 years to find some relevance and if the sleepwalking Geordies and Scousers wake up then they'll be an irrelevance just like the Lib Dems.

Absolutely LOVING the tears and snotters and general displeasure of the pro-Labout folks whom seem somewhat miffed at the fact we've now been landed with a Tory government we didnt vote for.

If only there was some way of ensuring that the people of scotland get the government that the people of scotland voted for.......

The Mighty Thor

I thought Ed Balls was going to cry in his speech. Seemed genuinely emotional.

He'll have more time for piano lessons now, though. 

Or learning to balance his finances so that his personal cheques don't bounce :lol:

dobmisterdobster

They'll have 5 years to get their shit together. Actually that's not right. They'll most likely have 10-20 years to find some relevance and if the sleepwalking Geordies and Scousers wake up then they'll be an irrelevance just like the Lib Dems.

UKIP will be nipping at the heels. They will pour more money into those seats where they finished second.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Labour lost for two reasons.

1. Little Englanders don't want to be ruled by Scotland.

2. Ed Miliband

That's a bit of a leap. The real reason is that not enough people see them as a better alternative to the Tories.

ultimately labour and libdems collapsed because they are perceived to have sold principles and humility for power. Both were arrogant enough to take voters for granted; murphys message seemed to be vote for labour because I say so. Has labour ever had a more hated leader (from day one)

I cringed when Murphey was given the leadership role. The big question now is who do Labour have in Scotland that can step up and revive the party.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I really, really want to go to sleep, but the next chapter of fun and carnage is only just beginning. 

Why do so many SNP supporters hate (a) "austerity" and ( B) high public spending by Gordon Brown?

Low tax, high spending, no deficit, no debt, free everything for everybody.

FFA for a trial period and watch their voodoo economics destroy Scotland.

Labour must focus on policy, policy, policy, not the constitution. The SNP's basic sums and logic are wrong, focus on that. Don't let them have the initiative.

well the Scottish voters sure didn't agree with you and we certainly have the initiative in Scotland now. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

UKIP will be nipping at the heels. They will pour more money into those seats where they finished second.

I'll go the opposite way. I think UKIP will find it very hard to maintain momentum in this parliament, especially if the Tories have a majority

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Why people are being bitter about the SNP I've no idea. They've fecking smashed everyone in Scotland. That's the name of the game and if I think back to what the SNP were when I was a kid in the 1980s (a total non-entity) last night's result is a landmark moment in UK politics.

As I said earlier, I don't like the SNP but how can you not respect what they've done?

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I'll go the opposite way. I think UKIP will find it very hard to maintain momentum in this parliament, especially if the Tories have a majority

I think DTD is right. Hard for insurgent parties to keep momentum up now. FPTP is an absolute killer. 

UKIP's only hope now as far as I can see is if Carswell takes them over and completely guts and reforms the party.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It depends on how much their vote is a protest vote that can move. The Lib Dems, pre coalition, built their base on local strength. If UKIP can do that then they can attack Labour.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I thought Ed Balls was going to cry in his speech. Seemed genuinely emotional.

He'll have more time for piano lessons now, though. 

The guy's a ****ing fud. 

Driving a bigger wedge because of his policies on austerity. ? Because borrowing ?2bn per week is enough for the people of Scotland who want to borrow even more? If we aren't there already effectively bankrupting the nation for our children? 46p in every tax pound goes to servicing our current debt.. Imagine how much wealthier we'd have been as a nation if that could have been spent... But instead of recording that we vote for a party who want to borrow MORE .. Ludicrous .. The brighthouse nation..

the nation is bankrupt already, that is what is 'ludicrous' and has been rejected by the Scottish voters.  

People who voted No in the referendum now complaining about another Tory government??? :rofl:

What the **** did you think what was going to happen? Better together though, eh?

Have Scotland and England ever been more divided politically?

Shitebags.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It depends on how much their vote is a protest vote that can move. The Lib Dems, pre coalition, built their base on local strength. If UKIP can do that then they can attack Labour.

If we do get an EU referendum then half of UKIP's patter will be dead in the water.

Boris next PM in 4 years time if Cameron sticks to his statement of standing down after this term?

I'm a bit crestfallen, i'll admit. I'm made up that scotland went balls deep on labour, but i'm amazed england did too.

Hopefully labour realise that they're ****ing shite and everyone hates them. I fear they'll blame the electorate for not heartily endorsing their latest brand of shite.

GIRFUY to the tears and snotters brigade on here though.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Hopefully labour realise that they're ******* shite and everyone hates them.

:lol:

That's pretty much it in a sentence.

JamboGraham

Fascinating times ahead...

I think the key now for the SNP is to say nothing rash, make no great proclamations...there are no deals to be done and no power to be brokered.....for now!!!!

Between now and the Scottish Election next year they need to calculate if the swing is genuine support or a protest against Labour (and the Lib Dems) for "getting in bed with the Tories".

I think they made a huge mistake and went for it (a referendum) a Scottish Parliament term too early. They only had one "good season" under them at that point and still had much to prove.

Delighted to hear Nicola confirm again that any desire for a 2nd referendum will decided in the Scottish Parliament elections, and not in a UK general election.

Over to you Scottish Labour....the Conservative vote will hold (and likely increase as some move back from the SNP).

Never a dull moment in Scottish politics...wonderful stuff!!!

ToadKiller Dog

Mr Ed got himself in the perfect trap over the question of refusing to work with the SNP .

Telling English voters he would rather see a Tory government showed weakness , so the English voters said so would we .

Open goal moment for the Tory lot .

Don't think he was ever ending up with more seats anyways .

The SNP won't be to unhappy with a Tory England , Boris and Osbournes words show their is room to manovere and the SNP if anything are pragmatists .

Not sure if independence is on its way yet but a form of federalism will be .

Poor Mr Ed at least he tried .

Big fight ahead for Labour between the right and the left a feeling right will win , the Scottish branch might have to separate .

Harry Palmer

Wonder what bird won the national poll? 

Or if it's been announced yet? 

Off to check...

kingantti1874

the nation is bankrupt already, that is what is 'ludicrous' and has been rejected by the Scottish voters.

Largely because of parties voted for by Scotland, and they have rejected them in favour of people who want to borrow more. Brilliant.. As I say a false sense of entitlement. People bleeting about 0 hours contracts and the bedroom tax - no doubt tweeting from their ?400 iPads and watching it all unfold live on Sky.

One of the most pleasing aspects is the fact that even if you discount the SNP's landslide as some kind of anomaly or protest vote, Labour still got an absolute caning in the rUK.

Big 5 years (big next 6 months even) for Labour. If you look at the GE map and where the pockets of red are now it would appear that apart from a few industrial heartlands (Liverpool, Yorkshire, North East, Wales), where voting still seems to follow the 'Scottish model' of putting a red rosette on a chimp, Labour is being wholly rejected everywhere in the UK. It appears that the message isn't getting through and if the people in these more traditional areas wake up and find an alternative then Labour really could be finshed.

You have to ask who they have in the wings with the ability to formulate and deliver a message that resonates with anyone other than the kind of person that votes Labour because my dad did and his dad did?

:pleasing:

To be fair, some of the Labour figures from down south have demonstrated some humility in attempting to address why they did so badly everywhere, and especially here.

You won't get that from Labour in Scotland, though. The ex-representatives and blind followers of the most venal and corrupt organisation north of the Camorra will continue to hit out at the electorate and the party which has absolutely trounced them.

It's the Scottish Labour Way.

JamboGraham

I do wonder how on earth some seats are still counting after 11 hours...if Argyll and the Highland seats can get it done in a few hours then no excuse for others....

Surely it can't be that hard?

Victorian

Oh it's definitely a fear and mistrust of Scotland having a major say in things. That is the overwhelming reason for this result.

When did a party ever win like the Tories have amid austerity as we have seen? Never. The Scotland angle is definitely the reason. But that's democracy and it's all fair. Shame the democratic voice of Scotland is viewed with such mistrust though.

I do wonder how on earth some seats are still counting after 11 hours...if Argyll and the Highland seats can get it done in a few hours then no excuse for others....

think a few dont bother to pull the all nighter.

JamboGraham

think a few dont bother to pull the all nighter.

Well that's no fun!!!!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Mr Ed got himself in the perfect trap over the question of refusing to work with the SNP .

Telling English voters he would rather see a Tory government showed weakness , so the English voters said so would we .

Open goal moment for the Tory lot .

Don't think he was ever ending up with more seats anyways .

The SNP won't be to unhappy with a Tory England , Boris and Osbournes words show their is room to manovere and the SNP if anything are pragmatists .

Not sure if independence is on its way yet but a form of federalism will be .

Poor Mr Ed at least he tried .

Big fight ahead for Labour between the right and the left a feeling right will win , the Scottish branch might have to separate .

Don't take this the wrong way but I honestly think a lot of people up north are over-estimating the SNP factor down here. People don't like Labour because they're shit. They were proposing Ed Balls as chancellor FFS! Is that not the definition of arrogance?

Interesting chat from the tories regarding federalism. Looks like they realise they have potentially damaged theunion in the campaign and will seek to repair.

Ffa. Federalism on the cards?

Glamorgan Jambo

It's strange that. Bridgend hasn't declared yet and its about 6 miles by 4 miles in size. Probably because the returning officer is some Old Labour dinosaur who won't let counting start until all his antiquated procedures have taken place.

ToadKiller Dog

Don't take this the wrong way but I honestly think a lot of people up north are over-estimating the SNP factor down here. People don't like Labour because they're shit. They were proposing Ed Balls as chancellor FFS! Is that not the definition of arrogance?

Part of it is that the labour leadership is shit also I agree. , but the English press and the Tory attacks on Scotland showed that it had an effect .

doctor jambo

Well done to the SNP.

Knew it was coming, and called it right - SNP landslide and Tory Majority Govt.

Probably the best we could have hoped for really.

Labour annihilated, LIb dems wiped off the earth, UKIP making little to no inroads. Strong Scottish voice, but with no actual power to do any real damage

Harry Palmer

This. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Still waiting on that South Thanet.

Is that Farage's zone? **** off Nigel you prick!

Harry Palmer

Is that Farage's zone? **** off Nigel you prick!

It is, and I agree. 

Pub Landlord landslide please.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Part of it is that the labour leadership is shit also I agree. , but the English press and the Tory attacks on Scotland showed that it had an effect .

It had an effect on the press but I don't think many people down here were swayed to vote Tory by the SNP factor. No-one I know down here has any argument with the SNP. They're just doing what they do. Plenty of us hate the Daily Mail though.

jambo1185

tM65Rgrr_normal.jpeg Fraser Nelson @FraserNelson  ?  13m 13 minutes ago

SNP has 95% of seats on 50% of vote. Unionists in Scotland now seriously underrepresented: three MPs now speak for half a nation.

But that's FPTP for you!

SNP get 1.4 million votes and get 56 seats.
Lib Dems get 2.3 million votes and get 6 seats.
UKIP get 3.7 million votes and get 1 seat.
Greens get 1.1 million votes and get 1 seat.

Edited by jambo1185