COMPTIA I.T. COURSE

fish

Was wondering if anyone on here has done the above course, and if so did it help them get a job in the I.T industry as im thinking of changing career and was looking for a way in to an I.T job.:compute:

Was wondering if anyone on here has done the above course, and if so did it help them get a job in the I.T industry as im thinking of changing career and was looking for a way in to an I.T job.:compute:

It would definitely help you get a foot on the ladder although you will be started at the very bottom on poor wages(18-20k).

I looked at doing something similar a few years back, however with the arrival of more kids i could not afford the drop in wages. I got plenty of EPOS/PC Engineer work at evening/weekends from recruitment agencies to get some experience on my CV. However to do this i had to lie about already having my qualifications. No problem for me as i could do that type of work no problem. Not something i would recommend though but i was willing to take that chance as i had confidence in doing the work i was given.

Sexton Hardcastle

I did a few of the Scottish enterprise "E-Skills Accademy" courses though my work last year. Took the best part of 9 months to do the classes, one day out fo work in a training centre down the road. Then sat the exams. There was 4 in total. One for Xp, then ones on Serves and IP address. Was all free as part of the scottish enterprise. Got the qualifications and a wage rise at work. Would check out there website to see if they are running things near you.

http://www.e-skillsacademy.com/

Are you quite IT literate? If so then dont waste your time with that one. Get your Microsoft cerifications or depending on what route you want to take your Cisco certificates.

Thanks guys very helpful, i may have the chance to do it through Angus College they run it as an online course as its nothing to do with my current job day release wont be an option. Any other advise you have to get into the It industry please feel free to post

Are you quite IT literate? If so then dont waste your time with that one. Get your Microsoft cerifications or depending on what route you want to take your Cisco certificates.

Ive been using computers since i left school in various jobs for stock control purchasing etc so ive got about 16 years experience as a user

You'd be better off doing the MCSE and picking out the modules you want to do. What part of IT do you want to work in? Helpdesk (:confused:)PC building or something a bit more technical?

i.e something non Windows ;)

Yes i quite fancy something technical repairing equipment etc

If you do it, don't have any delusions of grandeur.

It'll help you to get help desk roles, but from there you need to decide if you have the determination to put in a year or two of study to take it to the next level.

Cisco is good if you are interested in network technologies. I have done the Cisco Network Academy. The Academy is a bit nippy and it's exams are tougher than the real certification exam.

It's worth doing though.

The Microsoft exams are 10 a penny at times. You need to do the basics and then take it to the next level to stand out from the crowd.

Be prepared though that if you make a change in career - the wages will be crap initially (more likely to be ?12-14k). Also - if you end up in a helpdesk role don't hang about in a company waiting for a promotion. Start job hunting after 4-6months and get a move up a level. Keep doing so every year or so afterwards.

One last thing - don't shy away from any 1st jobs that involve nightshift work. It's sometimes the best way into the industry.

Yes i quite fancy something technical repairing equipment etc

just spotted your last post and your location.

try going for a job at Sun in Linlithgow. i worked there and it's good experience.

if you want the hardware then there is the factory - else there are some 24hr ops in there that may be an option.

If you do it, don't have any delusions of grandeur.

It'll help you to get help desk roles, but from there you need to decide if you have the determination to put in a year or two of study to take it to the next level.

Cisco is good if you are interested in network technologies. I have done the Cisco Network Academy. The Academy is a bit nippy and it's exams are tougher than the real certification exam.

It's worth doing though.

The Microsoft exams are 10 a penny at times. You need to do the basics and then take it to the next level to stand out from the crowd.

Be prepared though that if you make a change in career - the wages will be crap initially (more likely to be ?12-14k). Also - if you end up in a helpdesk role don't hang about in a company waiting for a promotion. Start job hunting after 4-6months and get a move up a level. Keep doing so every year or so afterwards.

One last thing - don't shy away from any 1st jobs that involve nightshift work. It's sometimes the best way into the industry.

Thats spot on. Adverts on the telly seem to paint this picture of tec guys driving around in mercs burning money. Thats bull****. Your first year will be crap pay and if your lucky your second job will be mid 20k. I have CCNA and now doing CCNP. When I get that the company im with the pay band is 33k-40k. So it does pay to do the extra study.

Archived