Whisky Thread

alwaysthereinspirit

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alwaysthereinspirit

Smokey, sweet or light and delicate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went on the Jack Daniels tour in Tennessee and got a taste for single malts.

Looking for some good tips on what to try.

Try a Glenkinchie. Distilled in Pencaitland. I've always found it pretty good. I was given a bottle of Aberlour which is fine. Not keen on Islay malts as I find them too strong for my delicate palate.

Glenfiddich is also a good starter, partly because it's easy to get a hold of.

alwaysthereinspirit

That's the one thanks.

Tried a Jack Daniels Single Barrel down in Memphis and thought I'd give single malts a try.

Bought a hip flask for a friend a few years back at a store on the Royal Mile and they gave me a 3 trial pack of Tomintoul.

10, 16 and 25 year. Tried them over three weekends and loved the 16 year old. Since then I've had a couple Glenfiddich and just bought another trial 3 pack of Glenrothes. Just trying to get an idea what everyone else likes and why. Think I'm more into the sweeter types than the smokey ones.

Thanks again.

Creepy Lurker

All the ones that you've just mentioned are Speysides. Anything by Balvenie or Benromach would be my choices from that region.

If you like lighter whiskies then Glenkinchie could be worth a try, as mentioned above. Would also recommend the Auchentoshan 18 ( don't bother with the 12).

Went on the Jack Daniels tour in Tennessee...

Did it avoid the distillery? I thought it was in a dry county.

alwaysthereinspirit

Did it avoid the distillery? I thought it was in a dry county.

It is a dry county but they give you a "free" sample so not breaking any laws. The tour was really cool.

My Dad was a malt man for years with Scottish & Newcastle. so he loved it. The village of Lynchburg has less people living in it than work at the distillery. Well worth the hour trip from Memphis.

It is a dry county but they give you a "free" sample so not breaking any laws. The tour was really cool.

My Dad was a malt man for years with Scottish & Newcastle. so he loved it. The village of Lynchburg has less people living in it than work at the distillery. Well worth the hour trip from Memphis.

It's nearer Nashville, is it no? I did a road trip that way in the summer, stopping in Memphis and Nashville for about a week in total. Considered going to Lynchburg wen headin south back home, but decided against it, as I didn't fancy the prospect of a distillery tour with no samples. Didn't realise you did get a taste.

alwaysthereinspirit

It's nearer Nashville, is it no? I did a road trip that way in the summer, stopping in Memphis and Nashville for about a week in total. Considered going to Lynchburg wen headin south back home, but decided against it, as I didn't fancy the prospect of a distillery tour with no samples. Didn't realise you did get a taste.

Duh, not sure why I wrote Memphis. We did Memphis first (Graceland) then Nashville.

The tour was free if anyone in the party was unable to drink due to age. $6 I think for drinkers.

Memphis was fun but we all liked Nashville better. Never seen so many stores selling the same thing (cowboy boots) on one street.

My wife and I want to go back alone next year.

Duh, not sure why I wrote Memphis. We did Memphis first (Graceland) then Nashville.

The tour was free if anyone in the party was unable to drink due to age. $6 I think for drinkers.

Memphis was fun but we all liked Nashville better. Never seen so many stores selling the same thing (cowboy boots) on one street.

My wife and I want to go back alone next year.

Yes, Nashville is great. Been a couple if times, once for an away trips with mates for a NFL game.

Memphis is a shit hole.

Bridge of Djoum

I like Macallan 15, and Balvennie 12. Both easy to get.

Old Pulteney is a little treat too. Won a few awards recently.

Anyone tried Haig Club that Beckham is advertising?

It says it's single grain - is that just another way of phrasing single malt?

jambos are go!

Im a blend man and even the cheap and cheerful ones are eminently drinkable IMO. Chivas regal my favourite but only buy when its discounted. Eighteen quid a bottle at Sainbury last week and might still be.

Creepy Lurker

It's the opposite. Grain whisky is the 'filler' normally used in blends.

Single malt = all malted barley from one distillery

Blend = mix of malted and unmalted barley (grain whisky) from more than one distillery

Single grain is presumably all grain whisky from one distillery. Grain whisky is traditionally considered to be pretty crap, although I haven't tried it personally.

Cairneyhill Jambo

I tried Laphroaig once. Smells and tastes like TCP.

Utter rank stuff.

Bruichladdich Laddie is really nice, as well as Knockando 12yro.

You can't go wrong with Glenmorangie or Macallan either.

All the ones that you've just mentioned are Speysides. Anything by Balvenie or Benromach would be my choices from that region.

If you like lighter whiskies then Glenkinchie could be worth a try, as mentioned above. Would also recommend the Auchentoshan 18 ( don't bother with the 12).

Someone left this for me on my desk last week. Rather looking forward to cracking it open this weekend:

9974_10152759211051183_5346175123321720576_n.jpg

Tom Morton (Radio Scotland DJ) does a sort

of Whisky Road Show "The Malt & Barley Revue"

http://www.motherwel...-life-1-3586587

It's at Eurocentral on Thursday.

Tomwhisky1-978x400.jpg

Join us for an intimate evening in the company of broadcaster, author, journalist, musician and raconteur Tom Morton with his outstanding Malt and Barley Revue.

With song, stories and banter, complimented with some fantastic drams, Tom explores Scotland?s dearly-held cultural links with the water of life and the folklore surrounding its makers and drinkers. Frequently hilarious, always entertaining, the show is washed down with some generous drams of different single malt whiskies, all with their own tales to tell.

Food will be available before the show but it is recommended that you book your table in advance as places are limited. To book for food or for more information call 01698 733311.

Tom Morton is a Scottish writer, broadcaster, journalist, blogger and musician. He lives and works mainly in the Shetland Islands where he edits the monthly magazine Shetland Life as well as broadcasting his BBC Radio Scotland show ?Morton Through Midnight? on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Tom has written several books, including a biography of the Gaelic rock band Runrig, a brilliant whisky travelogue called ?Spirit of Adventure?, and several critically acclaimed novels. For many years, he worked as a print journalist, as a columnist with the Daily and Sunday Express, Scotland on Sunday, The Big Issue in Scotland, The Shetland Times, and as a staff reporter with national newspaper The Scotsman. He was the first non-DC Thomson employee to script the legendary Sunday Post cartoon strips The Broons and Oor Wullie?

His latest novel ?A Whisky in Monsterville?, has been billed as ?the first interactive malt whisky novel?.

You can catch Tom?s radio show Tom here or check out his brilliant blog here.

Tried it a while back. Probably not the whisky of choice for serious malt drinkers, but if you're after an easy-going dram, or want to mix it then would be a good choice.

We have a bottle in the flat (the Mrs got if free from her work as they make it). Not tried it yet though - the bottle does look like an aftershave for some reason!

The Mighty Thor

Glenfarclas 105. Absolutely splendid stuff.

Dalwhinnie or Dalmore for 'day to day drinking' very very soft and easy to drink.

It's the opposite. Grain whisky is the 'filler' normally used in blends.

Single malt = all malted barley from one distillery

Blend = mix of malted and unmalted barley (grain whisky) from more than one distillery

Single grain is presumably all grain whisky from one distillery. Grain whisky is traditionally considered to be pretty crap, although I haven't tried it personally.

You are correct in saying single grain is whisky from one distillery produced using barley, corn or wheat. However there are a number of excellent single grain whiskies out there. An relevant example being North British distillery (beside Tynecastle) which has some aged expressions which can be considered on par with some fine malts.

The Mighty Thor

I was very fortunate to pick up 20 bottles of this stuff last year from 1975,1976,1982,1984 and it is absolutely fecking stunning.

It's Spey private collection whisky and the only downside is it's in 50cl bottles which go down very quickly :(

28433-zoom.jpg

alwaysthereinspirit

(Relevant name for this thread btw!) I would recommend going into one of the old man pubs and doing a whisky tasting. Usually most pubs have a whisky from each region of Scotland and you should be able to determine the differences using this whisky map.

http://www.connosr.com/wall/discussion/228711/tasting-maps/

Find which style you like the most be it smokey or sweet or a combination of factors and explore other malts around that area of the chart.

Whisky is a great hobby to get into- but I have found it is easy to get carried away with some purchases!

From those readily available in supermarkets, I pick from Singleton, Jura, Balvenie Doublewood and Dalwhinnie. My old man just re-gifted me a bottle of the 18 year old Glenfiddich which I find heavy going!

We have a bottle in the flat (the Mrs got if free from her work as they make it). Not tried it yet though - the bottle does look like an aftershave for some reason!

Damn, they had a sample bottle of it in an Asda store last week and I thought it was aftershave so didn't try it. Poncy blue bottle?

alwaysthereinspirit

(Relevant name for this thread btw!) I would recommend going into one of the old man pubs and doing a whisky tasting. Usually most pubs have a whisky from each region of Scotland and you should be able to determine the differences using this whisky map.

http://www.connosr.c...1/tasting-maps/

Find which style you like the most be it smokey or sweet or a combination of factors and explore other malts around that area of the chart.

Whisky is a great hobby to get into- but I have found it is easy to get carried away with some purchases!

At the risk of provoking yet another "The Diggers is shite - no it's no..." thread hi-jack, given their ?2.50 a nip whisky-festival promotion it'd be an excellent venue for anyone wanting to try some whiskies from different parts of Scotland and not spend a fortune in the process (as would certainly be the case at the Malt Whisky Society...).

Creepy Lurker

You are correct in saying single grain is whisky from one distillery produced using barley, corn or wheat. However there are a number of excellent single grain whiskies out there. An relevant example being North British distillery (beside Tynecastle) which has some aged expressions which can be considered on par with some fine malts.

I wasn't really clear enough with my post there. When I said that it's not traditionally well considered, I should've really added that I find it possible/probable that that's down to whisky snobbery and that I have heard that there are some very good grain whiskies around. What I was trying to communicate by saying that I haven't tried it was that I don't have an opinion of my own, but that generally grain whisky's seen as less prestigious. I imagine the David Beckham thing is an attempt to glamorise it in order to get away from that particular piece of snobbery. It's something I'd definitely be open to trying, and would want to try before claiming to have any opinion on it at all.

IIRC I was on the shitter when I posted that, which may be why it isn't the best written post ever.

Creepy Lurker

you would not believe reading this thread that 85% of Scotch sold in the UK is blended!

OP specifically asked about single malts. Don't think anyone's criticised blends.

I'm a big fan of Caol Ila but am currently drinking Jura Origin which is very nice indeed.

Caol Ila is my favourite too

Cairneyhill Jambo

My father-in law was a whisky collector and passed away last year so my wife inherited the collection. I tried to sell it on to collectors etc but what they offered was laughable so i've decided to just make my way through it. The colllection i now have is

Glenmorangie Cellar 13 - Litre Bottle

Glenrothes 1992

Glenrothes Select Reserve

Highland Park 12 yo

Dalmore 12 yo

Glenlivet 18 yo

Aberlour 10 yo

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish

Glenfiddich 18 yo

Glenlivet 12 yo

Glenlivet Special Reserve 12 yo

Balvenie 10 yo Founders Reserve

Erdradour 10 yo

Tormore 12 yo

Glenmorangie 10 yo

Old Pultney 12 yo

Lagavulin 12 yo

Tobermory 10 yo Unchilled Filtered

Glenkinchie 10 yo

Benromach

Benachie 17 yo

Craigellachie

Glenfiddich 12 yo

I may just keep a few of the ones that are rarer, such as the Glenmorange Cellar 13.

My father-in law was a whisky collector and passed away last year so my wife inherited the collection. I tried to sell it on to collectors etc but what they offered was laughable so i've decided to just make my way through it. The colllection i now have is

Glenmorangie Cellar 13 - Litre Bottle

Glenrothes 1992

Glenrothes Select Reserve

Highland Park 12 yo

Dalmore 12 yo

Glenlivet 18 yo

Aberlour 10 yo

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish

Glenfiddich 18 yo

Glenlivet 12 yo

Glenlivet Special Reserve 12 yo

Balvenie 10 yo Founders Reserve

Erdradour 10 yo

Tormore 12 yo

Glenmorangie 10 yo

Old Pultney 12 yo

Lagavulin 12 yo

Tobermory 10 yo Unchilled Filtered

Glenkinchie 10 yo

Benromach

Benachie 17 yo

Craigellachie

Glenfiddich 12 yo

I may just keep a few of the ones that are rarer, such as the Glenmorange Cellar 13.

Every now and then there is an auction just for whisky at Thomson and Rodick i think that's what they are called, at Rosewell auction house just outside Edinburgh. May be worth a look.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Every now and then there is an auction just for whisky at Thomson and Rodick i think that's what they are called, at Rosewell auction house just outside Edinburgh. May be worth a look.

Cheers mate. A couple of whisky dealers that I contacted said that i wouldn't get very much at auction for them.

This was their valuation of them. They offered to buy the lot from me for ?450 which i politely declined.

Glenmorangie Cellar 13 1 Litre - ?80-100 (?199 on Amazon)

Glenrothes 1992 - ?40-50

Glenrothes Select Reserve - ?25-30

Highland Park 12 - ?20-30

Dalmore 12 - ?25-35

Glenlivet 18 - ?30-40

Aberlour 10 - ?20-25

Glenmorangie Port Wood - ?30

Glenfiddich 18 - ?30-40

Glenlivet 12 - ?20-30

Glenlivet Special Reserve 12 - ?20-30

Balvenie 10 Founders Reserve ?30-40

Edradour 10 - ?20-30

Tormore 12 - ?20-30

Glenmorangie 10 - ?20-30

Old Pulteney 12 - ?20-30

Lagavulin 12 -?40-50

Tobermory 10 -?15-25

Glenkinchie 10 - ?30

Benachie 17 - ?20-30

Craigellachie -?20-30

Glenfiddich 12 - ?20-30

jambos are go!

OP specifically asked about single malts. Don't think anyone's criticised blends.

No they did not. And its titled the whisky thread not the malt Whisky thead.

Cheers mate. A couple of whisky dealers that I contacted said that i wouldn't get very much at auction for them.

This was their valuation of them. They offered to buy the lot from me for ?450 which i politely declined.

Glenmorangie Cellar 13 1 Litre - ?80-100 (?199 on Amazon)

Glenrothes 1992 - ?40-50

Glenrothes Select Reserve - ?25-30

Highland Park 12 - ?20-30

Dalmore 12 - ?25-35

Glenlivet 18 - ?30-40

Aberlour 10 - ?20-25

Glenmorangie Port Wood - ?30

Glenfiddich 18 - ?30-40

Glenlivet 12 - ?20-30

Glenlivet Special Reserve 12 - ?20-30

Balvenie 10 Founders Reserve ?30-40

Edradour 10 - ?20-30

Tormore 12 - ?20-30

Glenmorangie 10 - ?20-30

Old Pulteney 12 - ?20-30

Lagavulin 12 -?40-50

Tobermory 10 -?15-25

Glenkinchie 10 - ?30

Benachie 17 - ?20-30

Craigellachie -?20-30

Glenfiddich 12 - ?20-30

To be perfectly frank bud, you would be better off enjoying them.

None are particularly valuable, your cask 13 Glenmorangie is 145 pounds on whisky exchange.

Enjoy what was left behind rather than the monetary value, that is meant with all respect to you & your wife.

450 is a laughable amount tho, but they are traders and don't care about emotional value.

Archived