Whisky Thread

alwaysthereinspirit

All roads lead to Gorgie

A Glenlivet 12 and an Ardbeg Uigeadail.

At the opposite end of the taste (peat) scale but good choices to sample.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the thoughts on Glenrothes Reserve? A very different whisky taste, quite fruity!! Took a few glasses to get it, but quite like it now!

Sent from my iPhone using

I got not one, but two bottles of The Glenlivet 15-year old for Christmas.

Clearly I'm on Santa's "nice" list.

Here's one that's going to get absolutely battered by you boys:

I'm looking for a whisky that I can give as a present to my Polish girlfriend's Dad when I go across in a weeks time.  I'm far from a whisky drinker myself, so I'm a little bit unqualified to know what to get other than basic ideas.   I only have the following pre-requisites:

1) It must be in a nice bottle, as it will probably never be opened. (This one is key)

2) If it comes in a box, it must be a nice box.

3) On the off chance it does get opened, it shouldn't taste like paint thinner.

4) Must be able to be purchased in Tesco or similar.

5) Must come in a 35cl bottle (20cl at a push, but preferably not).

I was looking at a bottle of Jura Origin as it looks nice presentation wise, but I have no idea if it's actually any good or not. 

Thoughts?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Was given a Glenfarclas recently but it's 60%. Scared to touch the stuff in company. Any recommendations for dipping my toes in? Wee bit of water? Is it that simple? :)

The Mighty Thor

Was given a Glenfarclas recently but it's 60%. Scared to touch the stuff in company. Any recommendations for dipping my toes in? Wee bit of water? Is it that simple? :)

Is it Glenfarclas 105?

If so it's a tremendous whisky and one of my absolute favourites.

Drink it in moderation with a wee bit of water.

And don't be surprised if you wake up to find your house trashed and you've soiled yourself ;)

Mr Brightside

I'm looking for a whisky that I can give as a present to my Polish girlfriend's Dad when I go across in a weeks time. I'm far from a whisky drinker myself, so I'm a little bit unqualified to know what to get other than basic ideas. I only have the following pre-requisites:

1) It must be in a nice bottle, as it will probably never be opened. (This one is key)

I was looking at a bottle of Jura Origin as it looks nice presentation wise, but I have no idea if it's actually any good or not.

Thoughts?

I would suggest glenfiddich 12 year old. It's a triangular shaped bottle which makes it appear more unusual. It's not peaty or smokey so a good entry whisky for someone who is not used to it.

You can get a 35cl bottle in most supermarkets.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I'm looking for a whisky that I can give as a present to my Polish girlfriend's Dad when I go across in a weeks time.  I'm far from a whisky drinker myself, so I'm a little bit unqualified to know what to get other than basic ideas.   I only have the following pre-requisites:

Thoughts?

Although it comes in a conventional shaped bottle I would suggest something like a MacAllan as its sherried sweetness will maybe appeal to someone new to whisky rather than a drier peaty island malt or sharper speyside.

I'm in complete opposite situation with Whisky, so used to ~60% (cask strength) that standard (watered down) 40% Whisky goes down VERY easily, possibly too easily (if there was such a thing ;-) ) have a wee taste of it neet to see how strong it is for ur palate then try adding some water - amount based on ur initial taste (as u drink Whisky ull notice some will taste smoother to u than others) , main thing to remember is u can always add a few more drops of water but not more Whisky - in bars anyway! P.s I'd still add water to 40% Whisky to bring out the flavour so is 60% is unusual to u then definitely add water!

Archived