Whisky Thread

alwaysthereinspirit

The People's Chimp

Got this lovely bottle of Dalmore King Alexander III from a client. While I do like Whisky, and have a wee collection in the house, I felt my Dad who is very much into his whisky, would appreciate it more so passed it on to him, so it means I'll be able to have a dram when I'm back at the folks', he will definitely appreciate it more.

dalmore-king-alexander-iii-whisky.jpeg

Anyone a fan of the pot still in Glasgow? Whenever I have visitors I end up taking them in for a couple of drams. They have an incredible selection.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Creepy Lurker

No they did not. And its titled the whisky thread not the malt Whisky thead.

Post # 4, by the original poster (OP) says '...got a taste for single malts. Looking for some good tips on what to try.'

The thread is entitled 'whisky thread' because, as stated by the OP, he 'know there was one but cant [sic] find it'.

Get over your narcissistic need to portray other people as snobs in order to, by contrast, allow you to see yourself as some kind of iconoclastic, democratising hero. If he'd asked about blends people would've suggested some.

Almost as irritating as whisky snobbery is the reaction against it.

jambos are go!

Post # 4, by the original poster (OP) says '...got a taste for single malts. Looking for some good tips on what to try.'

The thread is entitled 'whisky thread' because, as stated by the OP, he 'know there was one but cant [sic] find it'.

Get over your narcissistic need to portray other people as snobs in order to, by contrast, allow you to see yourself as some kind of iconoclastic, democratising hero. If he'd asked about blends people would've suggested some.

Almost as irritating as whisky snobbery is the reaction against it.

you are entitled to your very subjective view of what the opening poster an I meant. At a loss to where I called posters whisky snobs or where the opening poster said the the thread was strictly about malts.

Let the people decide.

Creepy Lurker

you are entitled to your very subjective view of what the opening poster an I meant. At a loss to where I called posters whisky snobs or where the opening poster said the the thread was strictly about malts.

Let the people decide.

Er...I've just told you where the opening poster specifically asked for advice about malts. It was in post # 4. I don't really think I can be much more specific than that.

What were you implying with your bitchy little aside if not that posters are being whisky snobs?

Glad I've got your permission to my 'very subjective view', though. Thanks so much.

gorgie rd eh11

I'm a big fan of Caol Ila but am currently drinking Jura Origin which is very nice indeed.

Caol Ila is my favourite too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caol Ila :punk:

A pagger on a whisky thread?!

:lol:

Anyone here a member of the Scottish Malt Whisky Society? I joined but my membership lapsed. Some good whisky in there though

My dad, a former Evening News employee, has a bottle of Scotsman commemorative whisky, which was given out to staff as a gift on the occasion of the Scotsman's 150th anniversary in 1967. As I understand it staff were offered a bottle of whisky or a Parker pen. Unsurprisingly, most opted for the whisky, and quite a few of those were emptied by lunchtime.

It's a really nice old bottle, getting close to 50 year old and I don't see many of them around. Last seem on Bonhams in an auction a few years ago. The inside of the label has a reproduction of the first ever copy of the Scotsman.

There were occasional suggestions of opening it on the birth of various granddaughters etc. but still it remains tightly shut. It's likely to remain that way.

Anyway, that's slightly off-topic I guess and so for a couple of nice recommendations for whisky I'd offer Aberlour, for a really good value everyday malt that seems to be on offer regularly in Tesco (often down to ?20 which can't be bad). For a wee treat recently I had a nice 18 year old Springbank - a bit more expensive but really enjoyable. The Japanese Yamasaki 12 year old is also very nice if you fancy trying something that's not Scottish. In terms of blends, I'd happily take a J&B.

Anyone here a member of the Scottish Malt Whisky Society? I joined but my membership lapsed. Some good whisky in there though

Bar supervisor at the vaults and whisky ambassador. Your right. Some very good whisky there!

I was travelling over the weekend and spent a very brief wander through duty free at Schiphol (CDG was a disgrace btw - perfumed tae ****), well the bevvy section and particularly the whiskies. The one that caught my eye for no other reason than it looked a bit out of place to my untrained eye, was a Japanese Yamazaki. Never really thought too much about it other than a casual wtf. It did look sharp, and was prominently displayed. Anyway, off I went for a somewhat more rustic Peroni and Tennent's Super fueled weekend in Naples.

Well, this morning whiling away the time I came across this article in the Telegraph. Make what you want of his reviews but it sounds like it might just well be worth dropping a few on a bottle of this stuff; tradionalist or not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11204872/Scotland-loses-out-as-Japanese-whisky-named-best-in-the-world.html

Creepy Lurker

Yamazaki has been very highly rated for a while now. It's pretty widely accepted that Japan produces some great whiskies.

I was travelling over the weekend and spent a very brief wander through duty free at Schiphol (CDG was a disgrace btw - perfumed tae ****), well the bevvy section and particularly the whiskies. The one that caught my eye for no other reason than it looked a bit out of place to my untrained eye, was a Japanese Yamazaki. Never really thought too much about it other than a casual wtf. It did look sharp, and was prominently displayed. Anyway, off I went for a somewhat more rustic Peroni and Tennent's Super fueled weekend in Naples.

Well, this morning whiling away the time I came across this article in the Telegraph. Make what you want of his reviews but it sounds like it might just well be worth dropping a few on a bottle of this stuff; tradionalist or not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11204872/Scotland-loses-out-as-Japanese-whisky-named-best-in-the-world.html

Aye, try finding the bugger to buy.

Everywhere seems sold out!

One of the comments mentions that this sort of recognition (whether it's needed in this format or not) was some what overdue.

Aye, try finding the bugger to buy.

Everywhere seems sold out!

I'm sure the ones on display in duty free were most likely some sort of Bell's blended equivalent. :D

Creepy Lurker

One of the comments mentions that this sort of recognition (whether it's needed in this format or not) was some what overdue.

Think that was more in reference to taking first place than being recognised as a good whisky. If you read any decent whisky guide there'll be a mention of the high quality of Japanese whiskies.

I wasn't having a go at you with my post, just saying that Yamazaki have had a good reputation for a while now.

Think that was more in reference to taking first place than being recognised as a good whisky. If you read any decent whisky guide there'll be a mention of the high quality of Japanese whiskies.

I wasn't having a go at you with my post, just saying that Yamazaki have had a good reputation for a while now.

Nahh, no bother ... didn't take it that way. I'm no connoisseur, no way near; I wouldn't know a great malt if it drowned me while I was passed out on cheap vodka. I was just somewhat surprised that not a single Scottish whisky made it into the top five of some so-called 'Whisky Bible'. My original post was more an observation on a sharp looking product, albeit one that I thought a bit out of place (wrongly) that suddenly became topical on reading the telegraph article, well, for me anyway.

JamboInSouthsea

Here

Good, may need yer advice on making a few purchases when I head up to Edinburgh at xmas time.

JamboInSouthsea

Got this lovely bottle of Dalmore King Alexander III from a client. While I do like Whisky, and have a wee collection in the house, I felt my Dad who is very much into his whisky, would appreciate it more so passed it on to him, so it means I'll be able to have a dram when I'm back at the folks', he will definitely appreciate it more.

dalmore-king-alexander-iii-whisky.jpeg

Anyone a fan of the pot still in Glasgow? Whenever I have visitors I end up taking them in for a couple of drams. They have an incredible selection.

Always head there when in Glasgow, great little pub...they even have an English and a Welsh malt on offer

Jim Murray's been out of the inner circle in the Scotch industry for many years now, so no surprise he has a pop every time he's got a new book out. Certainly gets him the column inches he craves.

To be fair though, some of the Japanese whiskies are tremendous. The Yamazaki and most of the ***** range are lovely, but my personal favourite would have to be the Hibiki 17yo. On the nose, there's nothing to match it, though I would argue it doesn't have the depth of flavour found in the best Scotches.

I was at Heathrow a week or so ago and had a sample of that grain whisky that Beckham is endorsing, Haig Club.

42275_haig-whisky-beckham-diageo.jpg

It was quite nice, quite light in colour but I'm no expert.

Can't help but feel the bottle is more akin to an after shave than a whisky!

Randle P McMurphy
What would be the closest distillery to Edinburgh that still makes and bottles whisky?

There's one at pencaitland, glenkinchie I think

Governor Tarkin

I am.

fantastic place to spend a cold winters evening.

What would be the closest distillery to Edinburgh that still makes and bottles whisky?

Glenkinchie

Someone left this for me on my desk last week. Rather looking forward to cracking it open this weekend:

9974_10152759211051183_5346175123321720576_n.jpg

How was it ?

Balvenie is my favourite whisky, when I treat myself or somebody buys me a special present, this is my latest favourite:

LN_090827_BP_a_23.jpg

Picked up three 20ml bottles with a wee plinth last week.Bass,Fidra and Craigleith originally bottled for Lockett Bros of North Berwick

It's a long hard road to be considered a whisky aficionado, simply put, for malts the further east to west you go the "stronger" the whisky flavour

• 1 month later...
All roads lead to Gorgie

Bump. Has anyone received any interesting bottles for Christmas. Sampling a Glenfarclas 2003 as I speak, very nice too. :toff:

Bump. Has anyone received any interesting bottles for Christmas. Sampling a Glenfarclas 2003 as I speak, very nice too. :toff:

Not received any bottles, but the wife's crashed out and looking for a nice little nightcap (and it's Christmas!), so might have to crack open that Convalmore I've been saving...

All roads lead to Gorgie

Not received any bottles, but the wife's crashed out and looking for a nice little nightcap (and it's Christmas!), so might have to crack open that Convalmore I've been saving...

One of the Dufftown distilleries now closed I believe so enjoy while you can. Interested to hear what it is like.

One of the Dufftown distilleries now closed I believe so enjoy while you can. Interested to hear what it is like.

It was one of those luxuries you could probably do without, but for a few hundred quid it was impossible to pass up. Much better than some of the more flashy big name special releases, full of waxiness and esterified goodness.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It was one of those luxuries you could probably do without, but for a few hundred quid it was impossible to pass up. Much better than some of the more flashy big name special releases, full of waxiness and esterified goodness.

I presume it is from one of the indy bottlers. They know their stuff and only release a batch when it is fully ready. Many small distilleries only sold locally or produced only to go into blends when their products should have been better known in their own right.

Used to like an Islay malt, but got a bit boring after many years, Cardhu 12 year old just now, and is a nice slightly sweet light malt and easy to drink on its own.

alwaysthereinspirit

Received a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet. If it's as good as their 18 year extremely rare I'll be fine.

Also got a nice whisky tasting book.

Someone left this for me on my desk last week. Rather looking forward to cracking it open this weekend:9974_10152759211051183_53461751233217205How was it ?Balvenie is my favourite whisky, when I treat myself or somebody buys me a special present, this is my latest favourite:LN_090827_BP_a_23.jpg

Could be my next wee tipple, as a mate at work has recommended the double wood.

John Gentleman

I know it's a bit maligned (being a blended malt) but as a sort of 'staple' I always have my decanter filled with Monkey Shoulder. It's a good choice for visitors too as it rarely offends, without being spectacular.

I keep my Aberlour A'bunadh hidden. ;)

John Gentleman

Most distillers sub-contract their bottling. Broxburn Bottlers (owned by Glenfarclas, I think) are one of the big players.

Bruichladdich in Islay and the Campbelltown distillery are two, off the top of my head, who still do onsite bottling.

A Glenlivet 12 and an Ardbeg Uigeadail.

Archived