Top players we almost signed

Bugsy

Having heard the story about Hearts trying unsuccessfully to sign Denis Law at the end of his career, it got me thinking about if there were any others. To start off, I mind there was a shout going around about 1994 that Ronald Koeman was going to sign. Don't know about that one likes, ha ha! Any others?

Thomas Brolin. Although, by that stage in his career (ie fat) he'd have almost certainly (belly)flopped.

There was a small rumour as well that we were going to be the first British club that Tevez and Mascharano joined with a view to selling them on after a season.

But I just put that down to everyone having mental breakdowns when Vlad was on the scene.

As I posted once before, the Russian government stepped in to stop us signing Wlodmierz? Lubanski from Gornik around 30-40 years ago. He was considered to be one of the best players in the world at the time.

You can wiki him. I remember him and he was fantastic. We were so sure he was coming that we had already christened him Wully.

Or, if you want to include top managers we nearly appointed, Gullit and Robson.

How close we were to any of these we will never know.

Very close to Robson

Anderton also interviewed Ranieri

I remember we were offered Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank and spoke to his agent.

Then the agent mentioned ?40k per week. Meeting over.

I'm sure I'd read that Sir Bobby Robson was very keen at the time. The book that was released about that season detailed some of the applicants, all of whom were of a much higher calibre than the man we ended up getting to replace Burley.

Allowayjambo1874

Don't know if he can be quoted as top manager but Steve Bruce was on short list (I think after JJ left for Bradford). He certainly applied for the job.

Gregory House M.D.

Csaba had lined up Nuno Gomes had he not but was bombed out

Jose Goncalves claimed that Nuno Gomes wanted to come in on loan to get game time but Hearts said no.

vlad on the tyne

Mark hateley, Matt Holland and Joey Barton were names banded about. Imagine what we could have achieved if JJ had signed Rod Mcdonald from Partick?

Not players but heard from many folk that Hearts had lined up Sir Alex as manager who would (and was likely regardless) have been sacked have Utd not won the 1990 FA Cup Final replay against Crystal Palace. Utd won and the rest is history.

Also mind after Burley was sacked that Ottmar Hitzfeld was linked with the job (as was Kevin Keegan, Bobby Robson & Claudio Ranieri). I cant remember who it was but a KB member stated that they would run down Gorgie Road naked with their pants on their head if Hitzfeld was named the new manager :laugh:. IIRC Ranieri was interviewed and thanked Hearts for the interest but was not what he was looking for at that particular stage in his career (fair play for the acknowledgement).

Two Russian world cup stars.

They weren't Russian. One was John Plasil (Czech) and the other was Ogjynen Koroman (Slovakian, I think). Hardly household names but both had played at the World Cup.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

They weren't Russian. One was John Plasil (Czech) and the other was Ogjynen Koroman (Slovakian, I think). Hardly household names but both had played at the World Cup.

Jaroslav Plasil? Wow! Another CL finalist - seems to have played for Monaco in the CL Final against Janny's Porto. Crazy times!

Not us, but Alex McLeish knocked back Messi, when he was at OldCo.

St Midden, turned down Ronaldinho. Fuds

Mathieu Flamini plus ?7m for Craig Gordon. Don't know where I got this from but I told everyone this was a certain deal.

Gudjohessen for ?4m (mistaken for someone else can't mind the name) and then he goes to barca for ?8m

Hasslebank but vlad then said no due to 30k a week wages

Robbie savage

Remember us being linked with Javier Portillo when he was still pretty highly rated at Real Madrid.

Archived