Top players we almost signed

Bugsy

Egil Ostenstad. Went on to sign for Southampton for ?9 million!

Then signed for the now defunct Rangers and was Ertha Kitt

ginger jambo98

Egil Ostenstad. Went on to sign for Southampton for ?9 million!

He signed for Sothampton for ?800k. We had him as a done deal until we played Southampton in a pre-season friendly. JJ was the manager and he mentioned to Souness that he had agreed terms with Egil. Souness gazzumped the deal and off to Southampton he went. He had a purple patch there for a while and was valued at one time at ?8m/?9m although n-one ever paid that much for him. Would have scored for fun for us if we'd got him, by the time he got to Rangers he was plagued by injuries and a shadow of the player he once was.

Meanwhile on his farm in Padova

Scalas English lessons are nearly complete

:rofl:

How many times was he linked with us?

St Midden, turned down Ronaldinho. Fuds

As much as I loved this story I'm afraid I think it's an urban myth. Read an interview with Ronaldinho in a magazine a year or 2 ago, and he completely denied the claim. Sounded quite bemused by it.

I'll be surprised if he even knows who St Mirren are.

I P Knightley

Ah forget it.

I think he's Burmese

'Zap' Knight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one?

Gogita gogua was a done deal until he was refused a permit by the sfa, who then went on to let celtic sign someone with what should have had less chance of qualifying.

Aliadiere, we were also linked with Larry's brother Richard kingson.

Carl Fredrickson

Egil Ostenstad is the player I thought of when I saw the thread title. A missed opportunity as he could have been some player for us.

I mind working with a guy in about 1994 who claimed to be ITK who was adamant that we were in talks with John Pierre Papan (sp?). He was a bit of a gobshit but he swore blind Hearts were discussing a deal with his reps.

Tin hat on but John Brown may not have been the best player ever but we could have done with him. IIRC he (and I think Jim Duffy too) failed a medical but went on to have long careers elsewhere.

Oh aye and Vinnie Jones!

Victor Meldrew

Not players but heard from many folk that Hearts had lined up Sir Alex as manager who would (and was likely regardless) have been sacked have Utd not won the 1990 FA Cup Final replay against Crystal Palace. Utd won and the rest is history.

That is 100% true. The deal was done, subject to the outcome of the Cup final.

Carl Fredrickson

That is 100% true. The deal was done, subject to the outcome of the Cup final.

I mind it was the headline in the Evening News - whilst MacDonald was still manager! Wallace wanted a new manager and was happy to let folk know about it whilst Doddie still tried his best as manager

I mind it was the headline in the Evening News - whilst MacDonald was still manager! Wallace wanted a new manager and was happy to let folk know about it whilst Doddie still tried his best as manager

On the subject of Doddie, David Farrell's blog is very good. Yes, I know Farrell played for the wee team - but worth a read.

http://davidfarrellfaz.wordpress.com/

On the subject of Doddie, David Farrell's blog is very good. Yes, I know Farrell played for the wee team - but worth a read.

http://davidfarrellfaz.wordpress.com/

Not a bad read to be fair. I particularly liked this bit...

"Easter Road was a difficult, intimidating place to come to back then (except for Hearts for some reason, but I?ll deal with that another time)"

I remember Vinnie Jones being linked by the Daily Record :rofl:

Craig Bryson was a saga that went on for ages as well before Derby took him

As much as I loved this story I'm afraid I think it's an urban myth. Read an interview with Ronaldinho in a magazine a year or 2 ago, and he completely denied the claim. Sounded quite bemused by it.

I'll be surprised if he even knows who St Mirren are.

2001 loan deal from Gremio, to acclimatise in europe before his Paris move, red tape scuppered it, I just wanted to call them fuds.

jambos are go!

Missed out on the young Bobby Moncur to Newcastle because we would not give him a full time contract. From the man himself when he was Manager.

Jim Baxter was almost signed by John Harvey before opting to go back to Rangers. I also think we tried to get Denis Law towards the end of his Career. Two all time great Scottish players.

Gogita gogua was a done deal until he was refused a permit by the sfa, who then went on to let celtic sign someone with what should have had less chance of qualifying.

Aliadiere, we were also linked with Larry's brother Richard kingson.

You mean the panel with Billy McNeill on it? Miraculously Du Wei (I think) did get a permit shortly afterwards.

Bungalow Bill
Were we not heavily linked with Stevie Naismith when he was at Killie?

Was that not just a kickback rumour?

Was that not just a kickback rumour?

Probably. Although I don't think I was on kickback at the time and remember reading it somewhere.

John Collins was a big rumour to be signing from Monaco at the end of the 1998 season...I assume with the SMG money, maybe his world cup performance knocked that on the head??

Also heard the Papin move was a certainty until the cash required was upped late on.....that from a French guy who knew very little about Hearts at the time.

You mean the panel with Billy McNeill on it? Miraculously Du Wei (I think) did get a permit shortly afterwards.

That's the one and that's the fully. Affectionately named du wei Diddy. Shocking centre back, played in the loss to ayr (I think) that Roy Keane played in.

2001 loan deal from Gremio, to acclimatise in europe before his Paris move, red tape scuppered it, I just wanted to call them fuds.

Think there was a few myths around it. I was always told St Mirren were close to signing him on a permanent deal.

Seems your spot on with you statement though, I was too young at the time to remember it.

For whatever reason though, Ronaldinho didn't want to talk about it on tape.

Neil Mellor?

I think he was a decent prospect at the time, too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RustyRightPeg

That South Korean bloke. 3 names.

Played in the world cup and scored a few times I remember.

To be fair I'm not sure how many of these we were realistically in for and how many were simply ridiculous JKB rumours :lol:

Say what you want about Vlad though, we certainly had some quality rumours during the height of the Romanov days!

Just remembered about Sissoko or someone from Liverpool who I think ended up at Juve :lol: and Le Tallec (?) on loan who I seem to recall was a highly rated and promising youngster at the time but didn't seem to make it big

Edit: Just seen the post above me mention Le Tallec as well!

In 1969 Jim Baxter was freed by Notts Forest, Hearts made him an offer that would have made him the highest paid player in Scotland at that time

Rangers got wind of this and noted there interest, Baxter duly signed for Rangers on less money than Hearts offered and a shorter contract, but they bought him a house in Bearsden.

We dodged a bullet, Baxter was a busted flush by this time, and only played 14 games for Rangers before new manager Willie Waddell freed him in January 1970

Prince Buaben

Right i was told that Mercer offered SAF the job just before it started to turn good down in Manchester?

Truth to it or absolute nonsense?

John Brown. Failed a medical then signed for Rangers about a year later and played to a ripe old age.

I used to work with a nurse whose husband was the orthopaedic surgeon who looked at Brown's knee for Hearts; he said it was fine at that moment but there was a danger that it could go at any time through injury and they should consider that if shelling out big money. Obviously the particular damage never occurred and Brown went on to have a long and successful career. I believe the same surgeon also did the medical for Rangers too and reported the same facts!! Rangers obviously had more cash to take the gamble.

Archived