u20s at Newtongrange

CornhillHearts

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not one to be negative but looking at the highlights a lot of the players looked to be just going through the motions last night whereas the Motherwell players seemed more up for it

The Treasurer

Brad seems to be badly lacking in confidence just now but needs to keep things simpler

Mackay is a young lad that needs experienced players around him to help him play.

I say that central defence is probably the hardest position to play for a young inexperienced player, especially if most of the rest of the defence are even less experienced.

I'm afraid not. He's had his quota already having come on against Dunfermline in the first league game.

The U20s/Devl side tend not to make goalkeeping changes as you are limited to 3 subs as in the senior game.

cheers footballfirst, I was only asking as my lad was taken through to Hamilton last night as a back up to kelbie the 17s keeper which is what like would normally do.

Would love to be proved wrong but don't see Brad making it with us.

I agree, certainly not a Berra or a Ritchie from further back.

loveofthegame

Souf looked skillful.

Good stuff. Difficult to judge a guy in a game like that.

Bit like Keatings at Livvy, everyone said he was poor playing in an u20s side then thrown in the first team and immediately scores a hat-trick then has a brilliant game the week after too.

Our head coach was furious with our general display ..... dont think he recognised many either. Our keeper had a howler, but then so did most of them. Motherwell had a mostly U20 team out and they were very solid.

Howler ? Don't think so ......that's a 2D view ! Have a look at Motherwell coach post match interview....he says it all. They had desire, energy and defended from the front from the get go. Not allowing Hearts to play the football they are well capable of, closing down everything from start to finish.

Poor performance. Three goals conceded from corners and two from low crosses from the right.

Our big names were distinctly meh! and our youngest guys looked a bit lightweight.

Walker sparked the game into life for Hearts in the last 15 minutes but that was about it. His goal was a peach from a free kick. He had some harsh treatment early on which resulted in his booking for dissent, while nothing was said to the Motherwell players. The first foul on him in the second half resulted in a booking but there were at least another a couple of worse challenges on him earlier.

Soufian flitted in and out the game but showed a few nice bits of skill (a bit similar to Sow). Eckersley doesn't look fully fit or sharp (hasn't had a pre-season).

I was a bit surprised by the selection.

Liam Smith and Gary Oliver were there but not apparently available for selection.

Angus Beith played for the Scotland U19s last night.

Sean McKirdy came on as sub but he was at a Scotland U17 training camp earlier today.

Liam Gordon injured an ankle in a bounce game last week and will be out for a week or two.

Liam Henderson has a mystery injury, maybe groin, but I've seen these sort of injuries later diagnosed as hernias.

Heard someone say Liam Henderson had his tonsils out this week .....

Howler ? Don't think so ......that's a 2D view ! Have a look at Motherwell coach post match interview....he says it all. They had desire, energy and defended from the front from the get go. Not allowing Hearts to play the football they are well capable of, closing down everything from start to finish.

Our keeper was very nervous and did not dominate his area ... and in my opinion was shaky .... so from my 2D slot on pitch side he and the rest of the defense had "a howler"

post-18132-0-78663000-1409825812_thumb.jpg

Had a look for next u20s fixture. Hearts web-site has fixture down as Tuesday 2 September, Spfl site has Wednesday 3 September, can anyone confirm the correct date?

post-18132-0-76724000-1409825912_thumb.jpgpost-18132-0-50544200-1409826064_thumb.jpgpost-18132-0-78663000-1409825812_thumb.jpg

Mackay had a storming run up the pitch in the second half, passed about 4 defenders.

His long diagonals to Walker were done because at times it was the only option, and Walker never complained about them and he didn't control them well so a major part of that tactic failing was down to Walker rather than Brad.

We_are_the_Hearts

Mackay had a storming run up the pitch in the second half, passed about 4 defenders.

His long diagonals to Walker were done because at times it was the only option, and Walker never complained about them and he didn't control them well so a major part of that tactic failing was down to Walker rather than Brad.

That doesn't surprise me as Robinson can't do the job that the likes of Gomis can in making himself available. He has been a HUGE signing, him and Prince compliment each other so well. The midfield in general have been great and create space for Ozturks diagonals as well as always providing an out ball for the man in possession.

That doesn't surprise me as Robinson can't do the job that the likes of Gomis can in making himself available. He has been a HUGE signing, him and Prince compliment each other so well. The midfield in general have been great and create space for Ozturks diagonals as well as always providing an out ball for the man in possession.

So, let me get this right.

A poster posts something in defence of McKay's performance. Staying he stepped out from defence and beat a few players before passing out wide. He suggests these balls went astray as Walker missed them.

This is something that brings complaints about Robinson?

:rofl:

We_are_the_Hearts

So, let me get this right.

A poster posts something in defence of McKay's performance. Staying he stepped out from defence and beat a few players before passing out wide. He suggests these balls went astray as Walker missed them.

This is something that brings complaints about Robinson?

:rofl:

It's not a complaint, it's an observation. The defence don't have to go long as much this season because the central midfield have better movement and make themselves available, could have easily mentioned Hamill as well. What is it with you the minute someone mentions Robinson? It was more of a compliment to Gomis, how much he has helped improve our team and style of football.

It's not a complaint, it's an observation. The defence don't have to go long as much this season because the central midfield have better movement and make themselves available, could have easily mentioned Hamill as well. What is it with you the minute someone mentions Robinson? It was more of a compliment to Gomis, how much he has helped improve our team and style of football.

It's an odd observation and quite out of place. The guy was defending McKay and that's Robinson's failing?

I just laugh at the level folk will go to make something Robinson's fault. I reckon it was Robinson's fault Falkirk got that consolation goal. :(

We_are_the_Hearts

It's an odd observation and quite out of place. The guy was defending McKay and that's Robinson's failing?

I just laugh at the level folk will go to make something Robinson's fault. I reckon it was Robinson's fault Falkirk got that consolation goal. :(

It's not out of place, McKay was having to play long diagonals because no one in midfield was obviously showing. I was just saying we have really improved on that this season, I'm sure our Captain would agree. I have nothing against Robinson but this season has proved that we are now better in that position.

It's not out of place, McKay was having to play long diagonals because no one in midfield was obviously showing. I was just saying we have really improved on that this season, I'm sure our Captain would agree. I have nothing against Robinson but this season has proved that we are now better in that position.

Is that your observation of the game, like? What were your thoughts on young Aaron Scott's performance then?

We_are_the_Hearts

Is that your observation of the game, like? What were your thoughts on young Aaron Scott's performance then?

It was my observation of the first team, having not missed any of the games. A comparison of this season and last. Can only go by the above poster saying Brad played a lot of diagonals. Jeez, you do get awful uptight when your precious wee Scott gets mentioned lol.........wish I had said Hamill instead now :-)

We_are_the_Hearts

So maybe we don't have strength in depth?

From the players not playing in the first 11 on Saturday I would say Alexander, Paterson, Holt, Walker, Robinson, El Hass and Carrick will provide good cover...................

Robinson was showing but had at least one man 'on' him most of the time.

The issues to me looked to be in other areas of the pitch rather than the sitting midfielder.

It was my observation of the first team, having not missed any of the games. A comparison of this season and last. Can only go by the above poster saying Brad played a lot of diagonals. Jeez, you do get awful uptight when your precious wee Scott gets mentioned lol.........wish I had said Hamill instead now :-)

Nowt to do with this thread but Hamill is better than Robinson and anybody can take that to the bank!!

BigH, in a way I'm glad for you Robinson didn't leave, you would have been distraught, you need to let go mate!!

We_are_the_Hearts

The issues to me looked to be in other areas of the pitch rather than the sitting midfielder.

It's not just luck Gomis and Prince make space for themselves, it's workrate and good movement. Also, both are comfy taking the ball when a man is on them. But Robinson is good cover and hopefully improves part of his game training and playing with these guys

Cool. You've backed me up, my point is made. :thumbsup:

Why do people find it so difficult to back their view up by the way?

Regardless of age and experience I would have Beith ahead of Robinson. He is quality and has the ability to control a midfield by creating space and picking good passes in tight situations. He will go much further than Robinson in this game. If Gomis or Buaben are out and you need someone to fill in that position it would be Holt or Beith for me.

He was not showing. The guy that wasn't there said so.

Regardless of age and experience I would have Beith ahead of Robinson. He is quality and has the ability to control a midfield by creating space and picking good passes in tight situations. He will go much further than Robinson in this game. If Gomis or Buaben are out and you need someone to fill in that position it would be Holt or Beith for me.

Maybe, maybe not. Far too early to tell. :)

We_are_the_Hearts

He was not showing. The guy that wasn't there said so.

I was comparing last season to this season. Last night would have told me nothing new, at least I am capable of giving a balanced view instead of burying my head in the sand. Just discuss football instead of trying to be a smart arse.

loveofthegame

I was comparing last season to this season. Last night would have told me nothing new, at least I am capable of giving a balanced view instead of burying my head in the sand. Just discuss football instead of trying to be a smart arse.

The poster in question gets uptight about those who dare have an opinion against Robinson, but in turn goes out of his way to over-defend him.

We all have opinions about players, and should all be free to share them as we wish...

FWIW I thought your point re: Brad being forced to go long was an interesting and fairly valid one. That isn't just Robinsons fault last night though, also his midfield partner.

RenfrewHearts

The poster in question gets uptight about those who dare have an opinion against Robinson, but in turn goes out of his way to over-defend him.

We all have opinions about players, and should all be free to share them as we wish...

FWIW I thought your point re: Brad being forced to go long was an interesting and fairly valid one. That isn't just Robinsons fault last night though, also his midfield partner.

Brad went long every time at Ibrox aswell and that was with Gomis in the team, his limited ability means by the time he's seen the pass it isn't on.

Nowt to do with this thread but Hamill is better than Robinson and anybody can take that to the bank!!

BigH, in a way I'm glad for you Robinson didn't leave, you would have been distraught, you need to let go mate!!

at full back maybe but certainly not as a central midfielder.

grantaitchie8

Nae bites thus far.

Edit: Just seen the post above :lol:

Allowayjambo1874

Watching the highlights (so obviously can only comment on them rather than whole game) and it seems we were very poor defensively down the flanks. Eckersley looked a bit short needs match time. Their fourth goal, header from corner, young lad Page lost his man. Dunno if it's just his languid style but Jamie Walker seemed uninterested until last quarter of game, goal was belter though.

Watching the highlights (so obviously can only comment on them rather than whole game) and it seems we were very poor defensively down the flanks. Eckersley looked a bit short needs match time. Their fourth goal, header from corner, young lad Page lost his man. Dunno if it's just his languid style but Jamie Walker seemed uninterested until last quarter of game, goal was belter though.

Was at the game and Jamie was lively throughout and always trying to make things happen, a lot of the time without much success it must be said. Came in for some rough treatment early on and allowed it to get to him, which resulted in him getting booked rather than the players who were kicking him.

All in all a fairly typical Jamie Walker performance.

Was at the game and Jamie was lively throughout and always trying to make things happen, a lot of the time without much success it must be said. Came in for some rough treatment early on and allowed it to get to him, which resulted in him getting booked rather than the players who were kicking him.

All in all a fairly typical Jamie Walker performance.

going to be interesting as season progresses how much refs favour defenders. Falkirk game may be a benchmark in they kicked us but our players didn't give up, bookings started being given and we won 2 penalties. On balance Falkirk were lucky with the scoreline and not getting a couple of reds. But games might start getting harder if refs let more fouls go.

Players have to just keep going but it can be tough esp once you've had injuries.

Plus if I was involved at Hearts I'd be putting pressure on the refs / authorities over this.

Jamie could help himself by not reacting so aggressively every time he's touched. I guess refs get fed up of it - I certainly do.

Archived