Do footballers actually get tired?

Ortarkod

Teuchterjambo

I always think of tennis players, they could play six or seven matches in a two week tournament, some lasting 4 hours or more, football players getting tired after two matches in a week and three hours game time, don't get it.

The physicality in terms of contact in football is not experienced in tennis ... continually getting hit all over the body will produce levels of brusing that will undoubtedly affect physical performance and sharpness. . That said the schedules of tennis players and what they get through is really impressive

Commander Harris

have there been any randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind studies into the efficacy of parachutes?

jambos are go!

Back in the sixties if New Years day Day was on Wednesday teams throughout the Scottish Leagues would play Wednesday , Thursday and Saturday and the team did not usually change much IIRC. I can remember two cup replays againt St Johnstone being played on consecutive nights because of weather delays meaning they were running into the next round dates. Ralph Callachan scored the winner I think. No complaints in those days.

Back in the sixties

Do you think the game in the sixties was played at the same speed and with the same power from the players as it is these days?

jambos are go!

Do you think the game in the sixties was played at the same speed and with the same power from the players as it is these days?

Not as fast but more physical. You could tackle in those days and if you got the ball first you could clatter your opponent up in the air and no foul was given. Games with more than a couple of bookings were rare and the great John Cumming was known as the Iron Man but never got booked.

The main difference is tactics IMO. Former England Manager Joe Mercer was asked what made the football of the 50s more exiting and his snap reply was 'Bad Defences'. Sweepers or twin Centre Backs were largely unheard of and wingers never tracked back and full backs never went forward.

Archived