Do footballers actually get tired?

Ortarkod

Over the course of a season, or when they've had a run of three or four games in just a few days. Is there any scientific proof that their energy levels/ability is actually diminished?

Urban myth. Humans don't get fatigued. They could go play all day for several years without feeling tired, they are just being lazy.

I wouldn't say tired but surely the physicality of playing competitive sport must catch up as the season progresses.

How often do you see players have a great season for club then the World Cup or euros come round and the are clearly burnt out?

I wouldn't say tired but surely the physicality of playing competitive sport must catch up as the season progresses.

How often do you see players have a great season for club then the World Cup or euros come round and the are clearly burnt out?

not just the physicality but the mental side of it, it is extremely difficult to keep up the performance levels to the required high standards for the professional game

Ron Burgundy

I think it's often used as a convenient excuse for poor performance. If they're playing two or three games a week they don't train. Personally I don't think they know how lucky and pampered they are.

Ron Burgundy

They've got a privileged and easy life.

I sometimes work 45/50 hours a week in a physical job and then pay money for a game of football at night. I don't buy the two/ three games in a week bollocks.

Of course they do.

They're physically exerting their bodies every day in training but not at the intensity that a competitive game will do.

If they have 2 competitive games in a week then that will take its toll.

Mentally the job can get difficult through many pressures on and off the pitch and it will almost certainly take its toll.

I always think of tennis players, they could play six or seven matches in a two week tournament, some lasting 4 hours or more, football players getting tired after two matches in a week and three hours game time, don't get it.

I certainly admire the worlds top tennis players a damn sight more.

They really put their bodies through real punishment over a competitive season.

PS

Radio GaGa's post was not there when I was typing. could not agree more though

jamboinglasgow

John K.A Hill ?@Johnkahill88 26m

For anyone asking YES footballers do get tired and here's some of the mechanisms to explain how. http://www.fmh.utl.p...in Soccer.pdf ? #sportscience #HMFC

I guess John Hill is reading JKB. Pity that the document link doesn't work for me.

A thread like this always makes me laugh, people seem to dismiss players as lazy by saying their tired, because the person dismissing them plays a game of fives once a week and is not tired during the rest of the work. The problem with that is they dont play a game at the limit of their fitness, where they are mentally needing to be focused for 90 straight minutes as even 10 seconds of not being focused could mean you let your team down. That is physically and mentally tiring. With the right sport scientist and coaching you can control that to get the most out of players through the season, I remember reading about Barcelona under Guardiola where they prepared two cycles in the season where they aim for players to reach a physical peak in fitness, so that was in November and April.

As said earlier look at the world cup, how many Premier league players were stands out, very few and its something that happens every time international competitions happen at the end of premier league season, players are tired and unable to perform to the same level for the extra time. That comes from being pushed for every game and playing it at such a high punishing pace, the players are tired by the end of the season.

A thread like this always makes me laugh, people seem to dismiss players as lazy by saying their tired, because the person dismissing them plays a game of fives once a week and is not tired during the rest of the work. The problem with that is they dont play a game at the limit of their fitness, where they are mentally needing to be focused for 90 straight minutes as even 10 seconds of not being focused could mean you let your team down. That is physically and mentally tiring. With the right sport scientist and coaching you can control that to get the most out of players through the season, I remember reading about Barcelona under Guardiola where they prepared two cycles in the season where they aim for players to reach a physical peak in fitness, so that was in November and April.

As said earlier look at the world cup, how many Premier league players were stands out, very few and its something that happens every time international competitions happen at the end of premier league season, players are tired and unable to perform to the same level for the extra time. That comes from being pushed for every game and playing it at such a high punishing pace, the players are tired by the end of the season.

The "Aye but a dae 37 hours a week manual labour" patter is often rolled out by dinosaurs who fail to understand the intensity of playing at say EPL level twice a week requires.

Ron Burgundy

The "Aye but a dae 37 hours a week manual labour" patter is often rolled out by dinosaurs who fail to understand the intensity of playing at say EPL level twice a week requires.

And you understand it because you've played at EPL level? Thought not. And why did you type in weegie prose?

And you understand it because you've played at EPL level? Thought not. And why did you type in weegie prose?

No I obviously haven't played EPL level but I'm smart enough to realise it takes more out of you, both physically and mentally, than lifting heavy stuff in a factory every day :lol:

jamboinglasgow

I may not, but I have read the views on experts, people whose career is about studying the human body and how it reacts to physical activity, they make it quite clear about the huge strain and effect modern football has on the body and how it can affect recovery after a match.

Gregory House M.D.

:lol:

How about we get the sports scientists in to monitor the "dinosaurs" working 40 hour weeks of manual labour and compare the physical and mental fatigue of the two jobs accounting for the conditioning of both individuals studied.

Would be very interesting. I'm going to go ahead and say for example a labourer would exert about the same energy in a week as a footballer would in two.

There is no doubt footballers get tired but it's nowhere near as easy as is made out. It's a convenient excuse for pish performance.

Ron Burgundy

No I obviously haven't played EPL level but I'm smart enough to realise it takes more out of you, both physically and mentally, than lifting heavy stuff in a factory every day :lol:

I've never done factory work but I can't see many players fancying an 8 hour shift 5 days a week lifting "heavy stuff". Someone else quoted tennis players as an example of sportsmen who seem to have it far tougher but just seem to get on with it.

Just waiting on the classic "Aye they should make them work 7 hour shifts 5 days a week like the rest of us" line :rofl:

Ron Burgundy

I may not, but I have read the views on experts, people whose career is about studying the human body and how it reacts to physical activity, they make it quite clear about the huge strain and effect modern football has on the body and how it can affect recovery after a match.

Wasnt talking to you.

I've never done factory work but I can't see many players fancying an 8 hour shift 5 days a week lifting "heavy stuff". Someone else quoted tennis players as an example of sportsmen who seem to have it far tougher but just seem to get on with it.

Aye but I'm sure if required a top football could quite easily manage the physical duties if working said job 40 hours a week.

Could a construction worker or factory worker do 2 high level games a week? Nae chance.

Ron Burgundy

Just waiting on the classic "Aye they should make them work 7 hour shifts 5 days a week like the rest of us" line :rofl:

Dont think anyone has or will say that. But you carry on rolling on the floor laughing. It's obviously hilarious to you. You'll maybe change your tune when you leave school.

The People's Chimp

Would be very interesting. I'm going to go ahead and say for example a labourer would exert about the same energy in a week as a footballer would in two.

There is no doubt footballers get tired but it's nowhere near as easy as is made out. It's a convenient excuse for pish performance.

Ninja edit :rofl:

Not standing by your "more in a week than footballers in a month line then?"

Ridiculous stuff.

Dont think anyone has or will say that. But you carry on rolling on the floor laughing. It's obviously hilarious to you. You'll maybe change your tune when you leave school.

Leave school? I work on the oil rigs you plum so stop trying to act the goat.

And I have seen people on here roll out such lines hence why I mentioned it.

Ron Burgundy

Leave school? I work on the oil rigs you plum so stop trying to act the goat.

And I have seen people on here roll out such lines hence why I mentioned it.

sorry if I've offended you it's just I thought you were a nipper when you started typing in that weegie way likesay.

I sometimes work 45/50 hours a week in a physical job and then pay money for a game of football at night. I don't buy the two/ three games in a week bollocks.

2009-06-18-SPC4FourYork.jpg

sorry if I've offended you it's just I thought you were a nipper when you started typing in that weegie way likesay.

I honestly don't know where your getting this "weegie" chat from?

Ron Burgundy

Lets just agree to disagree. I just think footballers are a pampered bunch. At the start of the season the excuse for poor performances are that the team needs matches and at the end of the season it's the teams had too many. And nowadays with squad size there's not many ever presents in a team with squad rotation.

It's really not worth arguing over.

Regardless, why is he assuming it's weegie chat anyway? Bizarre. Obviously has an agenda my friend.

Lets just agree to disagree. I just think footballers are a pampered bunch. At the start of the season the excuse for poor performances are that the team needs matches and at the end of the season it's the teams had too many. And nowadays with squad size there's not many ever presents in a team with squad rotation.

It's really not worth arguing over.

Were no really disagreeing tho, prior to this I made a few points about folk comparing footballers work load to that of someone who works manual labour 40 hours a week. You retorted with jibes about me typing like a weegie and going to school :lol:

Anyway in a way I do get that some players are pampered, that's a given, but your top level professionals, playing week in week out in the league, cup, champions league and international competition are definitely pushing their bodies to the extreme limits. Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously lives in cloud Kookoo land.

I'd also point to the distance ran stat that it's shown a lot in the champions league and world cup. The distances ran by some players is huge.

Given the resouce available to the club at Riccarton there is no excuse not be aware of a drop in performance or fitness levels.

'Mental tiredness' is harder to measure and will hit most of the players at some point in the season...manager and coaching staff will be key to noticing this and giving them a break or time out but I would not think this is an issue at present.

Todays players should be aware that their body and mind are the key to success in their chosen career and abusing either will limit their career span and earning potential........its tough when you are young with all of life's temptations available to you but the choices you make are the key to success or failure in many cases.

Saying 'No' can be the hardest thing to do at a young age.

glastonbury jambo

if you eat well.. {nandos},...and sleep well... {5am nightclub crawl} ...and avoid drugs and drink {o'conner} .... you should recover well from games and feel good most of the time.

Snake Plissken

I'll bet the ones suggesting footballers should be able to play two or more top-level matches in a week are more than a few kilos overweight and probably don't know the first thing about fitness.

With all the irn bru, haribo and monster munch these lads consume, they should be able to play a game a day hopped up on additives alone.

pussys

The Comedian

I'll bet the ones suggesting footballers should be able to play two or more top-level matches in a week are more than a few kilos overweight and probably don't know the first thing about fitness.

The majority of KB imo.

1404378648061_zps481e845b.jpg

I wonder if the humble ref is worth mentioning. I'm not sure about the really top level but they appear to work a day job and do two matches a week sometimes. I have no idea if they do a equivalent workout, I'll leave that to folk who know more than me.

I always think of tennis players, they could play six or seven matches in a two week tournament, some lasting 4 hours or more, football players getting tired after two matches in a week and three hours game time, don't get it.

The Average Player will play 2 matches in a tournament. All ladies' tournaments and most mens' tournaments are played to three sets instead of five.

For the very small number of players at the top of the game who can usually expect to make quarter finals the challenge isn't to operate at peak performance constantly but peak when it matters at Grand Slam tournaments.

Grand Slam contenders will routinely treat minor tournaments with the attitude that Hearts treated the PetroFac training cup. Andy Murray even skipped a French Open because he thought it would interfere with his Wimbledon preparation.

In Athletics people structure their training in an attempt to peak around the season's major competitions. Boxers work towards their fight dates. Endurance swimmers can stop training altogether a week before the event to let them fully recover from training. Even Chess Players sometimes meditate to clear their mind and give it a rest.

The idea that people can't perform at peak level constantly shouldn't be too surprising.

Always love the folk that say they play 5's on a Tuesday after a full day at work. It's not like Danny Wilson can say after an hour "sorry lads, i'm *****, i'll go in goals for a bit"

Although I could imagine Jamie Walker trying it...

Mental tiredness is interesting as I always feel players can be made to feel tired (or not). I always cringe when I hear managers saying their players look tired because I think it gives the players the excuse to say: 'yeah, I feel a bit tired so could do with missing the League Cup game next Tuesday' whereas the manager should be telling everyone how fit and strong they look.

Go to the gym today and work out your arms and chest.

Go back tomorrow or the day after and see exactly what happens when you try the same workout. In my case id be as weak as a kitten

probably. I get shot down for saying this now and again but it smacks of people who have never played. Gie them 5 mins playing in midfield and they'll get an eye opener.

People think because players are fit they'll run all day!

Players train to be able to perform at a high level and it takes it out of your body. That's why there is alot of emphasis on recovery but if you take a knock on a Saturday , maybe put in a real hard 90 minutes aswell , it's hard work to be at a peak for a Wednesday night game after.

You get different characters into the mix too, some will fight harder to get fit or battle through knocks to play , some won't. But either way some players will just be naturally fitter too and be quicker at healing or replenishing energy better.

Does playing an entire season and then a World Cup do any sort of damage that, say, a week's rest wouldn't undo?

I'll step up and be the guy to end your wait then.

Maybe not 7 hour shifts 5 days a week - but I do think that they should be putting more hours in than they currently do in many cases. I'm not necessarily talking about games and training - but I don't see any reason why they cant be out filling their days doing more meaningful stuff than nando's and shopping and whatever else they do.

Have them visiting school kids or hospitals or community stuff..... theres about a million and one ways that they could be out there helping folk out / brightening up folks days etc all whilst raising the profile of the club.

So yeah, maybe having them represent the club 7 hours a day 5 days a week wouldn't be such a bad thing at all.

Archived