Best Hearts Midfielders EVER

i8hibsh

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ivanauskas33
Sorry folks, although I'm of the Gary Mackay vintage there's no doubt that Hearts' greatest ever midfielder was the other McKay, Dave.

Have to agree with that

Cupar Jambo
For me Ruben Palazealous

He is truly awesome

I think a shortlist of

Jim Bett (albeit short time)

Fulton

Mickey C

Flogel

Mackay

Skacel

Hartley

any others?

Thank you for that it has given me a laugh and helped me get over that episode at Motherwell on Tues. Now being serious Dave MacKay and the fabulous Willie Hamilton

No mention for John Millar yet. Scandal. You guys are feckin' useless.

Was my favourite player at one point. The amount of goals (mostly headers) he scored from midfield wasn't a bad return.

Id say Paul Hartley. When we first signed him I thought he was utter rubbish and was never good enough for Hearts. He turned it around himself though. Gave 110%, played for the club and developed into a brilliant player. Wish he was still playing for us, but thats the way things go at Hearts these days.

Id say Paul Hartley. When we first signed him I thought he was utter rubbish and was never good enough for Hearts. He turned it around himself though. Gave 110%, played for the club and developed into a brilliant player. Wish he was still playing for us, but thats the way things go at Hearts these days.

Similar to Baggio, was murder when he first joined but JJ stuck with him and turned into a great player.

Best I've seen are probably Cameron and Hartley but if we are including wingers as well I'd definately have Colquhoun and McCann.

Levein had alot to do with Hartley improving to be the player he is now. But on the whole I think he just worked so hard at his game and proved to everyone that he wasnt just a first division 'has-been' but a SPL and Scotland star.

What about jose quitongo maybe not the best but a cult hero among the gorgie boys

Gary McKay

Derek Ferguson

Mickey Cameron

Skacel

Fulton

Hartley

I'd add John Millar to that little list.

Thomas Flogel.

What a player.

In fact, he could also be put on the list for best Hearts defenders and best Hearts forwards- that's how good he was.

To be honest I thought he wasn't that great. Cult hero yes but the type of player who would come on at two or three nil up. Which we were quite a bit that season.

best in the land

rubens not bad but cant change the game when the goings tough.

players imo before him are:

g.mackay

d.mackay

bowman

bannon

d.ferguson

cameron

mccann(first time)

brellier

hartley

bett

flogel

fulton

guerin

salvatori

skacel

stamp

severin

tomaschek

and probably others i can't think of

but who knows wait a while and he might get in after a few more seasons if he stays.

but so could bruno,johnsson or screpis

Hearts Heritage

A thread entitled the BEST EVER and I thought here We go some insight into the History of the Club

it's the best that the OP saw in the last 15 years ..

Gary Mackay. End off.

I think there are plenty of candidates for the title to ridicule your "end off" (sic) statement.

Quite easy to think of better midfielders than Mackay during my time of watching the club, nevermind the 120 years before that.

winston churchill

wee mickey cameron, bombing forward supporting the guys up front.

i can still see him doing bandy from 25 yards down the slope at the sangiro.

paul hartley,a treble against the hoofballers in the sunday come dressed as a seat 100 year it was only our reserve team semi final of the big cup slaughtering.

A thread entitled the BEST EVER and I thought here We go some insight into the History of the Club

Indeed but players back in 'the day' no matter how amazing they were then by today's standards would be rank rotten.

Even the poorest players nowadays are fitter, stronger, more tactically aware and skillfull than there counterparts from yon ago

So realistically any 'best ever' teams would be probs from 70's onwards

I think to suggest older players is purely out of romance

Anyone agree?

Toxteth O'Grady
Bowman

McKay

Cameron

Fulton

Tomashek

Flogel

Hartley

Bett.

The best I've seen in my time.

Add Bannon and I'll not argue with that Andy

Derek Ferguson had potential too if it wasn't for his shoulder

Snake Plissken
Indeed but players back in 'the day' no matter how amazing they were then by today's standards would be rank rotten.

Even the poorest players nowadays are fitter, stronger, more tactically aware and skillfull than there counterparts from yon ago

Anyone agree?

You'll probably get slated for it but its a fair point, though maybe not quite as drastic as you say. I think some of the very best players from years past would still be good today but most of the players from years past would probably struggle against their modern counterparts.

Though your choice for best midfielder ever had surely been influenced by Mr Jack Daniels????

Libertonian_II

I'll chuck another couple into the mix, Alex McDonald and Ian Jardine.

BTW, RP is incredibly over-rated. He is a very average performer in the worst Hearts team for over 20 years

All time faves from here would be Colin Cameron, Neil McCann, Gary Mackay, Paul Hartley and Laryea Kingston

Eamonn Bannon maybe but for that penalty against rankers...................

best in the land

or even 15 months

What is the fascination with Thomas Flogel? Yes he was a good Hearts player who had a lot of ability but is never anywhere near the best ever.

If he was so good, then how come for the majority of his Hearts career he never held down a regular place in his natural position of centre midfield? Here's another, how come he was first choice for any of the midfielder postions in the best Hearts team he played in 97/98 team? Flogel only played in the final because we went with an unfamiliar 4-5-1. For the majority of the season he was 3rd choice striker, behind Hamilton and Adam. In terms of midfield he wasn't seen as better than any of McCann, Fulton, Salvatori or Cameron.

Or even forgetting that, in his final three seasons with the club he played in over 100 games and scored twice. Twice, the greatest midfielder (who was an attacking player) only scoring twice? He may have been playing at right back for a lot of them but surely that is enough indictment in itself. His final year wasn't even a good Hearts team, surely we would have been better playing one of the greatest ever in his actual position instead of shoring up an inexperienced full backs corps.

Great player for us, top professional and was part of THAT team. He had bags of talent and natural ability but it doesn't always equate being the greatest.

Love the guy, but best ever? No chance.

I'd go for Hartley ;)

JennyJambo

I'm feeling nostalgic so I'll add Baggio and Kenny Black!

Ruben doesn't come close to our best yet. His name might well end up on this sort of thread in a few years time but he wouldn't be in my All Stars Team midfield yet!

Anyone agree?

Not in the slightest.

Perhaps Rudi Skacel is the closest of the modern day players who could stake a claim for being the best ever. But to suggest that any of the current midfield bunch - let alone the ineffective Palazuelos - is Hearts best ever midfielder is hilarious.

We_are_the_Hearts

Colquhoun-Hartley-Cameron-Skacel

Would pay money to watch that midfield week in week out!

Charlie-Brown

Given relatively few Hearts players get sold to the top tier of English football, or win the SPL title with a non Old Firm team or play in a european final with a scottish club - I'll go for Eamon Bannon although Jim Bett proved he was class also when he played here albeit briefly - Skacel & Hartley were fantastic for a short period of time also.

Jim Bett was past his best when he played for us but what a player. Equally comfortable on either foot and simply controlled a game of football. He'd have to be close to being the best all-round midfielder in the time I've been watching Hearts.

Defensively I'd have to go for Brellier - great presence, exceptionally strong and had more football than many give him credit for. Definitely better than Salvatori and infinitely better than Tomaschek or Gronlund who were pretty much cart-horses if we're honest. I'd probably have Chuck Berry in there ahead of those two!

Cameron, Fulton and Hartley are good shouts too.....

Over a sustained basis, Mickey Cameron and Stevie Fulton are the best I've seen. Over a very long term sustained basis Gary Mackay is the best I've seen. Over a short time basis Rudi Skacel and Julien Brellier are the best I've seen - both sparkled for a short time. And for a player who was way better than the guys around him - Derek Ferguson is the biggest unfulfilled potential (though Stamp was the most annoying - he had fantastic ability but didn't want to use it).

Wouldn't be at all bothered if Palazuelos left in the summer. He is not an effective player in the SPL.

John Findlay

John Cumming.

Two league medals. One Scottish Cup medal and four league cup medals.

No-one previously or since matches that medal haul in a Hearts jersey.

Skill wise. Tommy Walker, Dave Mackay, Jimmy Wardaugh, Alex Young, Willie Hamilton, Drew Busby, Eammon Bannon. To name a few.

John

Gary Mackay. End off.

Say the words to yourself....does it make any sense?....try to change one of the words so that it makes sense. Ok their you go, see you after school.

bilston angel

Davie Mackay and John Cumming were the greatest ever midfielders followed by the skilful players Jimmy Wardhaugh and Willie Hamilton the rest since then, don't come near to these four. However I never saw Tommy Walker who was a legend in his time.

Vincent Guerin was a class player blighted by injuries. Salvatori was also good for hearts

Snake Plissken
Say the words to yourself....does it make any sense?....try to change one of the words so that it makes sense. Ok their you go, see you after school.

Ooops :)

Bannon,Callaghan,Hartley,Cameron.....are a country mile in front of the very ordinary Ruben P.

Tynecastle Valhalla
Clearly he isn't the best midfielder ever. As in my awards thread he gets the current award for the most overrated Hearts player. Painfully slow and so lightweight.

He has been the 5th equal best Hearts midfielder this season behind Jonsson-Driver-Miko-Stewart together with Kingston.

disagree actually:

jonsson has been very average and played too often.

Driver has been horrific with the exception of the first 6 games or so.

Miko has had a couple of decent games but generaly poor.

Stewart had a great start but faded.

Kingston has shown moments of genius but not played regularly enough.

Subsequently I would say he has been the best midfielder this season.

In terms of best ever he does not beat the likes of Cameron, derek ferguson or skacel for me, but def a good player,.

Ryan Gosling
disagree actually:

jonsson has been very average and played too often.

Driver has been horrific with the exception of the first 6 games or so.

Miko has had a couple of decent games but generaly poor.

Stewart had a great start but faded.

Kingston has shown moments of genius but not played regularly enough.

Subsequently I would say he has been the best midfielder this season.

In terms of best ever he does not beat the likes of Cameron, derek ferguson or skacel for me, but def a good player,.

:eek:

Driver's first six games were his worst!!

Takis4king

id say hartley, mainly because of the vast improvement he made. The amount of memories he has given me while he wore the maroon jersey was just incredible. Ruben has a lot too learn before he gets mentioned among the others. And as for kingston....maybe he should stop cheating his way to his wages and actually work for them.he'd be a lot better if he did.

Archived