Best Hearts Midfielders EVER

i8hibsh

rossthejambo
What is the fascination with Thomas Flogel? Yes he was a good Hearts player who had a lot of ability but is never anywhere near the best ever.

If he was so good, then how come for the majority of his Hearts career he never held down a regular place in his natural position of centre midfield? Here's another, how come he was first choice for any of the midfielder postions in the best Hearts team he played in 97/98 team? Flogel only played in the final because we went with an unfamiliar 4-5-1. For the majority of the season he was 3rd choice striker, behind Hamilton and Adam. In terms of midfield he wasn't seen as better than any of McCann, Fulton, Salvatori or Cameron.

Or even forgetting that, in his final three seasons with the club he played in over 100 games and scored twice. Twice, the greatest midfielder (who was an attacking player) only scoring twice? He may have been playing at right back for a lot of them but surely that is enough indictment in itself. His final year wasn't even a good Hearts team, surely we would have been better playing one of the greatest ever in his actual position instead of shoring up an inexperienced full backs corps.

Great player for us, top professional and was part of THAT team. He had bags of talent and natural ability but it doesn't always equate being the greatest.

Love the guy, but best ever? No chance.

I'd go for Hartley ;)

how dare you?! ruin my memories of my favorite ever player in one post! :(:P

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Hartley is the best midfielder I have seen play for the club, Skacel, Kingston, Ruben, Driver, Brellier were alright but Hartley was superb for us.

coastjambo

i'll second Vincent Guerin, Also i loved Dave Mcreery, brief but great. cameron and hartley. More so Hartley big game player who could turn a game

janie jones
i'll second Vincent Guerin, Also i loved Dave Mcreery, brief but great. cameron and hartley. More so Hartley big game player who could turn a game

David McCreery would be up there for me solely for once stamping on Roy Aitken. A hard man and no mistake.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Pat Byrne or Cammy Fraser from the good old bad old first division days.

I watched one of my favourite midfielders at Robbie's testimonial on Sunday. He barely moved out of the centre circle but just sprayed accurate passes to every corner of the pitch. He may have put on the extra 20 pounds but Stevie Fulton was well named Baggio. A touch of class which age will never hide.

Imeantasong

Seen a few but I think Stevie Fulton was underrated for a long time (I sat in front of some erse in the Wheatfield who hollered at him every game, even when he was outstanding).

Bet Gary Naysmith and Neil McCann would vote for him.

Been watching since mid-70s and there have been a few before and a couple after Fulton who I'd list. Bannon, a young Callaghan, MacKay, Cameron, Hartley.

And for other reasons Busby has to get a mention. Even Mikey Galloway made an big impact in a short spell against the OF and in our best ever run in Europe.

Stevie Fulton in the sing along when he won the Glasgow Hearts' POTY was a clincher too. Superb.

You'll probably get slated for it but its a fair point, though maybe not quite as drastic as you say. I think some of the very best players from years past would still be good today but most of the players from years past would probably struggle against their modern counterparts.

Though your choice for best midfielder ever had surely been influenced by Mr Jack Daniels????

Dave Mackay would be an ever present in the present man-u or chelsea teems.

Fulton's passing

Bannon's dribbling

Skacel's shooting

Salvatori's positioning

Cameron's energy

Hartley's intelligence

Berry's tackling

Mackay's dedication

Busby's intimidation

Bowman's precocity

Black's physique

Suspect Device
I watched one of my favourite midfielders at Robbie's testimonial on Sunday. He barely moved out of the centre circle but just sprayed accurate passes to every corner of the pitch. He may have put on the extra 20 pounds but Stevie Fulton was well named Baggio. A touch of class which age will never hide.

Aye, and that old , fat Baggio looked the best football player on the park, did he miss a pass ?

jambo walesy

Phil Stamp!

Possibly the most unfit player ever but it didnt matter he was a legend!

Ok i am using that term very loosley there.

For me during my time i would say Skacel (for tha half a season and goal in the final) or Hartley (for the improvement he made during his time at Hearts and for THAT hatrick.)

Pete Seeger

Mickey Hartley Fulton Rudi

Also wanted to stick Terry in there.

Cumming, Bannon, Cameron, Flogel, Hartley, Salvatori, Fulton

but top of the tree - the one and only Gary MacKay.

Prob get shot for this but it was around the same time as I first started going regularly going to the games....

Derek Ferguson??

Derek Ferguson!?..the only player I remember that passed the ball sideways for no other reason than he was too lazy to go forward, even a simple pass forward to carry on an attacking move and he'd still pass sideways, he used to get a lot of stick from the fans because of it

PresidentRomanov

Seen every one since the late sixties, and it has to be Paul Hartley :)

2nd April 2006 clinched the it for him :107years:

marsha_takis
For me Ruben Palazealous

He is truly awesome

I think a shortlist of

Jim Bett (albeit short time)

Fulton

Mickey C

Flogel

Mackay

Skacel

Hartley

any others?

It would be truly awesome if you could spell it;)

jambopompey
Indeed but players back in 'the day' no matter how amazing they were then by today's standards would be rank rotten.

Even the poorest players nowadays are fitter, stronger, more tactically aware and skillfull than there counterparts from yon ago

So realistically any 'best ever' teams would be probs from 70's onwards

I think to suggest older players is purely out of romance

Anyone agree?

watched flogel at robbies testimonial, i would have him now in the team

Drylaw Hearts

Skacel

McCann(1st time)

Hartley

Cameron

Colqhoun(1st time)

That is my top 5 since the early eighties.

I also thought Alan Johnston was immense for a Season in the mid 90's.

No-one in our current squad even gets close to any of the above.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

If you are asking for the greatest ever then it has to be Dave McKay.

Not only along with Tommy Walker or Bobby Walker, the greatest ever Hearts player, but probably in the top 100 greatest British players of all time.

Genuine world class. A winner everywhere he went, Hearts, Spurs and Derby.

A player known the world over. When I was a kid in South Africa and mentioned supporting Hearts to the coach of our under 13 football team, the guy said "Dave McKay". This was in the early 1980's.

Only wish I had seen him play.

But I trust my old man's judgment and the history books.

Davie - The King.

Not many mentions for Salvatori who is the best defensive midfielder in my time watching the club (1981/82 onwards). The best all round midfielder I have seen is definitely Mickey Cameron - what a player. Honourable mentions to Hartley, Fulton, Skacel, Bowman and Gary Mackay (up till about 1988/89ish). Obviously if we are talking greatest EVER then its got to be Dave Mackay with the likes of John Cumming up there too.

On the issue of older players being smaller, slower and not as strong I dont really buy into that argument. I'm sure with the ability say a Dave Mackay, a George Best or a Jim Baxter had that they would have been succesful in any era. For instance if they were playing today they would be just as strong and fast as current players as they too would have benefitted from the better diets and healthcare that current players have

Archived