Tonight's Football

weststand93

The game is due to be played tomorrow hopefully. If it is completed within 24 hours you have to wait. Thats what normally happens.

Thought it was 48 hrs, but it won't be anyway so same difference.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally think Munich looked stronger and played a better style of fotball last season. This season Bayern look to have the usual Pepe weaknesses,system overly reliant on a couple of payers, pass the ball to death,work it too much at the edge of the 18yard box, cant adjust to counter teams that either park the bus on the goal line or that pushes on high up the pitch.

They still look the stand-out team however I don't think they'll want to meet any of the more physical speedy teams early in the KO rounds. A big disciplined counter-attacking team stands a good chance against them so that would be Madrid, City, even Athletico, Arsenal and Chelsea.

I think a little too much emphasis was placed on that 7-0 aggregate in last year's S/F - those game were essentially down to physical disparities and energy levels.

Still, shouldn't go on one game alone. Without Robben, and a misfiring Ribery Munich looked dare I say it, mortal.

They still look the stand-out team however I don't think they'll want to meet any of the more physical speedy teams early in the KO rounds. A big disciplined counter-attacking team stands a good chance against them so that would be Madrid, City, even Athletico, Arsenal and Chelsea.

I think a little too much emphasis was placed on that 7-0 aggregate in last year's S/F - those game were essentially down to physical disparities and energy levels.

Still, shouldn't go on one game alone. Without Robben, and a misfiring Ribery Munich looked dare I say it, mortal.

Tbh Man City firing on all cylinders could win the trophy. But BM are still far and away the stand out team IMO.

Did I hear that right that the Galatasaray game resumes where they left off?

No idea but a great point. Different associations have different rules.

Anybody know?

Another goal for City and if they hold on they win the group.

just back to hotel after a night of celebrating :-) great City support and no bother Bayern fans brilliant too

Aye, that's what they said on ITV last night.

just back to hotel after a night of celebrating :-) great City support and no bother Bayern fans brilliant too

You have got to hand it to City.First year 10 points not enough to come 2nd in group.This year 15 not enough to win the group.:)

Aye, that's what they said on ITV last night.

Never heard of that happening before but seems to be confirmed by UEFA.

"Galatasaray A? against Juventus in Istanbul was abandoned after a snow storm caused the pitch to become unplayable and will resume with the score 0-0 at 14.00CET on Wednesday."

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2034989.html

Never heard of that happening before but seems to be confirmed by UEFA.

It certainly was how it used to be done in Spain. I remember a Barca match a few years ago starting well into the match.

[/size]

It certainly was how it used to be done in Spain. I remember a Barca match a few years ago starting well into the match.

I don't doubt it just saying that I've never heard of it.

Is there a point in the match where they agree to continue where it was abandoned?

Not even sure how that would work, just seems mad to me that they might have had to go through the whole rigmarole of setting it up if there was only 5 minutes to go, even though it's unlikely the match would have been abandoned with so little time left.

mulleted_jambo

Looks terrible. Makes for quite entertaining viewing though.

None of them know how hard to play a pass as its sticking in some places and skidding away in others.

Galatasary looking better. Good save from Buffon there.

Sneijder scored with 5 mins to go and Juve are out!!

Expect some wailing from the Italians as there's no way that pitch was playable.

Well done Galatasary! Interesting to see if Juve kick off and anything comes of it.

Can't wait to see what team Arsenal will play tonight. Realistically they've no chance of winning the Champions League but do they play a weakened side tonight in preperation for City or do they go all out to try and top the group?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Had a ?5 bet on;

Hearts U20 (Taken at HT when 1-0 down) @ 24/5

St Mirren @ 11/10

Leverkusen @ 19/20

Juve to qualify @ 1/4

Obviously the Juve game got postponed so will it pay out or will I need to wait for the game to be replayed?

:lol:

Why on earth would you throw a 1/4 shot like that into an otherwise decent accumulator?

Well done Galatasary! Interesting to see if Juve kick off and anything comes of it.

Can't wait to see what team Arsenal will play tonight. Realistically they've no chance of winning the Champions League but do they play a weakened side tonight in preperation for City or do they go all out to try and top the group?

I was trying to determine whether they can be knocked out or not ... in theory I believe but how ... obviously Napoli have to win, or is it irrelevant if Dortmund win in France. Not that i want them to lose just that it might have a bearing on their approach tonight.

Were you in with the City fans or just over to take in a CL game at the Alianz ? easy enough to get tickets ? Reason I ask is that next year I'm looking at visiting a few grounds on my travels, and this is one I'd like to get to, the other must being the San Paolo.

I was trying to determine whether they can be knocked out or not ... in theory I believe but how ... obviously Napoli have to win, or is it irrelevant if Dortmund win in France. Not that i want them to lose just that it might have a bearing on their approach tonight.

If Napoli won by 3 Arsenal would be out which isn't implausible with a player like Higuain.

Just reading a few articles and it would seen that Arsene is intent on playing his strongest squad.

I think I heard that as long as they avoid a 4 goal defeat then they are through, don't shoot me if that's wrong though :unsure:

Edit: 3 according to moogsy.

If Napoli won by 3 Arsenal would be out which isn't implausible with a player like Higuain.

Just reading a few articles and it would seen that Arsene is intent on playing his strongest squad.

I think I heard that as long as they avoid a 4 goal defeat then they are through, don't shoot me if that's wrong though :unsure:

Edit: 3 according to moogsy.

Cheers. After what nearly happened to Munich last night, I think this makes sense (although conversely it was Pellegrini that put out the weakened side) ... think Wenger will be hoping to get an early away goal then play within themselves subbing out the important players he needs for Sat.

Were you in with the City fans or just over to take in a CL game at the Alianz ? easy enough to get tickets ? Reason I ask is that next year I'm looking at visiting a few grounds on my travels, and this is one I'd like to get to, the other must being the San Paolo.

Went to the Allianz a few years ago for a mate's stag do.

Got tickets easy enough through the web. Can't remember the name of the site though, but essentially you were buying season tickets handed in for that particular game. Some stadium, fantastic facilities. You buy a smart card, top it up with cash then swipe to pay for your bevvy in a pretty decent bier kellar type place.

Went to the Allianz a few years ago for a mate's stag do.

Got tickets easy enough through the web. Can't remember the name of the site though, but essentially you were buying season tickets handed in for that particular game. Some stadium, fantastic facilities. You buy a smart card, top it up with cash then swipe to pay for your bevvy in a pretty decent bier kellar type place.

Sounds like a state-of-the-art experience. So, on the day? Basically got tickets for the Maple Leafs at the ACC about 10 yrs ago this way - queue (well the missus for about 3hrs while I was at a course :D ) for unsold briefs reserved for players, org employees, etc.

San Paolo, I suspect is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of experience. Might not be quite as bad as Independiente though, where I stood the whole time, and never said a word ... just pretended to be stoned like almost everybody there - at HT I moved to the enclosure - less stressful. I had my 'I'm Scottish, not English' routine in Spanish ready to plead at the first hint of bother. Might have to learn the Italian equivalent. Everything good although his was my first standing game in years and I had to rest up the next day - legs and feet were shot ... standing in the shed all those years was good practice, however not quite enough to see me through 3hrs after a long absence. Amen to seats ... sometimes.

it was for the City game and got the tix from a blue who used up his holidays and money going to Moscow

it was for the City game and got the tix from a blue who used up his holidays and money going to Moscow

Nice one. Some opportunities just can't be turned down ... often pay off, and it sounds like this one did.

Everybody loves Baz

Have to wait.

Need the Turks to win for over ?400.

Cheers Roberto,

Though the game re started tonight.

Nice surprise getting in from work.

:2thumbsup:

Barcelona to rattle Celtic beyond death, and then pump the corpse. Then Celtic to take it out on Hibs at the weekend. :thumbsup:

That would be rather :pleasing:

Alba gu Brath

Tbh Man City firing on all cylinders could win the trophy. But BM are still far and away the stand out team IMO.

I think Celtic, with the Goon Brigade behind them, could be in with a shout.

Oh, maybe next year then.

Morgaro Gomis

:lol:

Why on earth would you throw a 1/4 shot like that into an otherwise decent accumulator?

Yeah, not sure actually. Glad it got postponed now, as it allowed me to put ?30 on the Galatasaray win netting me ?136. Not as big a win as it could have been, but profit is profit I guess.

Nae English teams in the 1/4 finals as I predicted at the start of the season, looks a stick on now with gunners and city finishing 2nd. Lovely stuff!

Nae English teams in the 1/4 finals as I predicted at the start of the season, looks a stick on now with gunners and city finishing 2nd. Lovely stuff!

:what:

Utter nonsense.

:usualbet:

??? All the English teams qualified.

??? All the English teams qualified.

Yep. Reports of the demise of the EPL have been wildly exaggerated.

Looking ahead, Chelsea, who've spent the first half of the season floundering around in both major competitions, yet - typical Mourinho - are very well placed in both, should be absolutely fine in the next round. I can't envisage any of Leverkusen, Galatasaray, Olympiakos, Schalke, or Zenit putting them out; and if they come up against Milan, would favour them there too.

United, despite all their problems - they're the only English qualifiers with no shot at all at winning it - would be favourites against any of Galatasaray (but that'd be tough), Olympiakos, Schalke, or Zenit - and Milan aren't impregnable either. Much better than 50-50 chance of United getting through as things stand.

Arsenal would be in serious trouble against Bayern, Barca or Real - though coming through any of those ties is not completely beyond them - clear underdogs v Atletico (but they're about as unreliable a club when it matters as I can think of anywhere: even more than Arsenal are, in fact), slight underdogs v PSG. That'd be a terrific tie if it's drawn out. Probability is of Arsenal being eliminated - but this side might just have a shock in them, I think.

And City? Another side with a possible shock in them: but I can't help thinking they'll pay for Pellegrini's miscalculations last night. Barca and Real are better than them, as are Atletico. Ties against PSG or Dortmund should be closer though.

Obviously, we'll have to see what the draw says: but Chelsea and one of United or Arsenal to make the last 8, I think.

Archived