• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a weird one. I saw a thing recently about plane crashes that have a single survivor. There seemed to be quite a few - are there just as many with two or three or four etc. Or is there some statistical quirk that makes one survivor more likely (like the thing that if 23 people are together the chances are 50/50 that two will share a birthday or the Monty Hall Problem)?

All roads lead to Gorgie

This is a weird one. I saw a thing recently about plane crashes that have a single survivor. There seemed to be quite a few - are there just as many with two or three or four etc. Or is there some statistical quirk that makes one survivor more likely (like the thing that if 23 people are together the chances are 50/50 that two will share a birthday or the Monty Hall Problem)?

Survival in air crashes could be governed by where the person is sitting. The last row in the tail section is furthest from the fuel source and often survives impacts so statistically could support a survivor. On the other point more births take place over the summer months so by chance there is more chance of shared birthdates. May or may not be right to be honest.

How do bookmakers figure out the odds of an outcome, such as on horses or the odds of a particular result in a football game? Especially with bizarre odds like 64/7, whatever that means?

Also why do they have strange odds as above and not just simple (number)/1?

How do bookmakers figure out the odds of an outcome, such as on horses or the odds of a particular result in a football game? Especially with bizarre odds like 64/7, whatever that means?

Bookmakers come up with prices based on knowledge of the sports ect. To create a "book" and to ensure they make money bookies create a margin of 12% or so.

For example. Heads or tails 50/50 chance, if the bookies take a bet on both then they pay out what they bring in.

However if they change the odds to 5/6 for heads and 5/6 for tails then assuming they take ?10 on each whatever happens they will make money. As they are only paying out 18.33 and have taken in 20 pounds. Creating a 108% book. A margin of 8%.

To answer your question about why they use funny prices it's basically answered above, they need to in order to create the book.

That's about the most simple way I can put it. Probably didn't explain very well.

Would also add that bookmakers lay money at other bookmakers if there is a considerable amount put on one outcome. They do this in order to make sure they don't lose out.

Edited by Jambomuzz

How do you explain the feeling of someone looking at you?

I'd get it if this only happened when the person was in your field of view but your maybe not focused on them, but there's been times you can just feel folk staring at you from behind or the side etc.

Weird feeling anyway :laugh:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

You get crashes with more than one survivor. There was a crash in Japan in the 80s that killed hundreds but a handful survived, including a mother and daughter sat next to each other.

Re the 'why not just make all odds something to 1?'

If you think about it, this would be very limiting for the bookies. You would have 1/1 then what's next?? 2/1? There's a significant jump there. Whatabout the odds in between?

AlphonseCapone

Why do people not just google things they wonder about?

That isn't meant as a criticism of the thread btw, I genuinely wonder why folk don't because I tend to google everything I wonder about.

That isn't meant as a criticism of the thread btw, I genuinely wonder why folk don't because I tend to google everything I wonder about.

Does Google always give you the right answer though?

IS the whole point of the thread that you "couldn't be bothered to find out?" Hence why no one googled!

If someone gets lifted for drink driving, what happens to their car?

Either left where they were stopped if it is a free parking area or driven to the station by one of the arresting officers. 

I saw it on the telly.

AlphonseCapone

Doubt it but you can at least decide if the source and information looks believable.

AlphonseCapone

IS the whole point of the thread that you "couldn't be bothered to find out?" Hence why no one googled!

Aye fair enough but the urge for me to find out is too much most of the time!

Aye fair enough but the urge for me to find out is too much most of the time!

I'm the same, I'm always googling. But there are one or two things you think about and don't have the time to check and then forget about!

Bookmakers come up with prices based on knowledge of the sports ect. To create a "book" and to ensure they make money bookies create a margin of 12% or so.

For example. Heads or tails 50/50 chance, if the bookies take a bet on both then they pay out what they bring in.

However if they change the odds to 5/6 for heads and 5/6 for tails then assuming they take ?10 on each whatever happens they will make money. As they are only paying out 18.33 and have taken in 20 pounds. Creating a 108% book. A margin of 8%.

To answer your question about why they use funny prices it's basically answered above, they need to in order to create the book.

That's about the most simple way I can put it. Probably didn't explain very well.

Would also add that bookmakers lay money at other bookmakers if there is a considerable amount put on one outcome. They do this in order to make sure they don't lose out.

They will also adds it odds, depending on where the money is, so sometimes the odds might nkr reflect the true changes of odds.

This can work both ways, in that if there is a lot of money in one selection, but little on the other, the former odds will go down, and the latter up. However, sometimes in the case of the latter, they have been known to reduce them, to create an image that it is becoming more fancied, and to therefore attract more money.

Re the 'why not just make all odds something to 1?'

If you think about it, this would be very limiting for the bookies. You would have 1/1 then what's next?? 2/1? There's a significant jump there. What about the odds in between?

So why not use a decimal/fractional combination, and have 1.15/1 and 1.875/1.

It's how Asian Handicap odds are calculated anyway.

So why not use a decimal/fractional combination, and have 1.15/1 and 1.875/1.

It's how Asian Handicap odds are calculated anyway.

Well yes, everything really is something to 1. The example given of 64/7 would actually be 9.1428571 to 1. But who could be arsed writing it like that?

In fact, most online bookies allow you to select how you want your odds - fractions or decimal.

Doubt it but you can at least decide if the source and information looks believable.

Good man. Unfortunately not everyone shares your level of information literacy!

What are the mobile phone bulge shapes between the shoulders on rugby strips for?

Can't imagine that it is for mobiles.

GPS tracking. They coaches get speed, distance travelled etc during the game

Been taking note recently. Regardless of the time of day (sometimes VERY early AM), when I approach a junction or a roundabout I usually have to stop & give way however; I note that theres no traffic in front or behind the car I am stopping for which means had I been 5 second faster or slower reching the junction the I would not have had to give way.

Why does this happen? Pisses me off!!!

Baby pigeons. Do they actually exist. Never seen one, nor even a nest yet there's millions of pigeons everywhere. Surely somebody is having us on.

Do sinners have a patron  saint ?

Well, everyone else seems to have one.

I don't know, but St Bernadine of Siena is the patron saint of hoarseness.

Always wondered.

What were the odds of the scottish cup and fa cup final 2006 both going to pens.

Pretty sure no way to find out, always wondered though

Always wondered.

What were the odds of the scottish cup and fa cup final 2006 both going to pens.

Pretty sure no way to find out, always wondered though

There will be odds for each game to go to penalties. Just double them up.

If both games are 5/1 to go to penalties then the double will be 35/1 for example.

John Gentleman

The information on Wikipedia would be pretty close at any given time I reckon as it's subject to ongoing review by literally millions of people, many of whom will be subject matter experts. As for all the hits you get just by Googling, mmmm.....well, I just apply the 80/20 rule; 80% will probably be crap and 20% will be reasonably accurate. 

What's the deal with faux balconies - favourited by architects of breeze block 8x4 flats of the last 20 years? Why not build real balconies which would raise the price and living enjoyment of the flat or not bother? They're like the eternal punishment of Tantalus giving you a glimpse of what you may have.

Baby pigeons. Do they actually exist. Never seen one, nor even a nest yet there's millions of pigeons everywhere. Surely somebody is having us on.

That's because squabs don't leave the nest.

I'm not showing you how to twerk.

Are we meant to keep left or keep right when walking?

My mum mentioned this the other day while we were walking up a winding staircase in the National Gallery at the Mound. She suggested there was a correct side to walk on depending if you were going up or down. Can't remember for sure but think she said that in certain countries people do walk on a certain side.

My instinct would be stick right as you do on escalators.

Edit: Actually I don't have a pavement instinct. I'll need to think about it while I'm walking.

Edited by GlasgoJambo

Edit: Actually I don't have a pavement instinct. I'll need to think about it while I'm walking.

But if you think about it...it won't be instinct...will it?

BoJack Horseman

My mum mentioned this the other day while we were walking up a winding staircase in the National Gallery at the Mound. She suggested there was a correct side to walk on depending if you were going up or down. Can't remember for sure but think she said that in certain countries people do walk on a certain side.

My instinct would be stick right as you do on escalators.

To the stairs thing, how can that make sense? There will be collisions if you don't stick to the same side in both directions. 

Is it right on an escalator? I thought it was maybe the same as the roads, so keep left. I just stick to the pavement side. 

To the stairs thing, how can that make sense? There will be collisions if you don't stick to the same side in both directions.

Is it right on an escalator? I thought it was maybe the same as the roads, so keep left. I just stick to the pavement side.

Yep, realised that made no sense while I was carrying stock downstairs 15 mins ago. I meant there is a designated side!

But if you think about it...it won't be instinct...will it?

Thats a good point too :lol: please could GlasgoJambo's last comments be stricken from the records your honour.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

One, but describing it can be tricky

If you kick a ball along the floor of a train, in the opposite direction to that which the train unravelling, is it going in the same direction as the train or in the opposite direction to it, or both.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Well, funny you should say that... I saw one at work a couple of months ago. It was not fully fledged yet and just kinda ran about the outskirts of the building every time someone approached. :lol: