Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Is it true that bees get drunk off nectar which explains their somewhat laid back nature?

I dunno about bees but I've heard similar as to why butterflies don't fly in a straight line.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo_Jarman

I dunno about bees but I've heard similar as to why butterflies don't fly in a straight line.

:laugh:

Looking forward to the next time I see a bee or a butterfly and can think: "he's steaming."

JamboInSouthsea

Why is cricket and rugby deemed a posh sport in Britain yet it's a working class game in other countries?

Cricket if you want to get to the top in England can still be quite an 'old school tie' effort which also explains why countries where it isn't fair better.

Rugby was invented at a posh school by some bloke who was crap at fitba.

Tennis is pretty much the same, seen as a posh sport but maybe only in the UK.

JamboInSouthsea

Why is it that when you bung yer bed linen in the washing machine then take it out the pillow slips are always stuffed on an inside corner of your duvet cover?

Why is it called a canteen in hospitals,schools & work places, but it's called a cafe/restaurant in high street stores?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Cricket if you want to get to the top in England can still be quite an 'old school tie' effort which also explains why countries where it isn't fair better.

Golf on the other hand is mostly perceived as a sport of high business circles abroad whist in (Scottish context at least) is seen as open to anyone through the council courses. Still posh if you go down the golf club route in many parts of the country though. Darts real working class everywhere, loving the darts just now.

JamboInSouthsea

Golf on the other hand is mostly perceived as a sport of high business circles abroad whist in (Scottish context at least) is seen as open to anyone through the council courses. Still posh if you go down the golf club route in many parts of the country though. Darts real working class everywhere, loving the darts just now.

True with golf, it's almost like there was something wrong with you if you'd never played.

Watched Gary Anderson win the darts on Sunday night...cracking game to watch.

Rugby was invented at a posh school by some bloke who was crap at fitba

Further to this, compulsory sport participation is a big thing at private schools and even the most uncoordinated buffoon can have a role in a schools rugby team - much more so than in a football team that needs all the players to be coordinated.

Rugby was invented only because the ref never had the balls to blow for a free kick/penalty.

JamboInSouthsea

Rugby was invented only because the ref never had the balls to blow for a free kick/penalty.

Think you'll find it was hand ball...not intentional though :)

All roads lead to Gorgie

Can champagne go out of date?

Yes,  especially down Easter Road way !!!!

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Yes,  especially down Easter Road way !!!!

Haha I set that up! I always thought it was like wine or whiskey in that it could age, but somebody told me recently that it can go off due to the 'fizzy' nature of it, wasn't sure if they were winding me up or not?

Can champagne go out of date?

It won't go 'out of date' so to speak if you have it stored correctly IIRC. If you're just storing it in a standard cupboard, they recommend that you don't store it any longer than it was aged for (so if you were to have bought a '2008' labelled Champagne in 2014, you should drink it by 2020).

It won't go 'out of date' so to speak if you have it stored correctly IIRC. If you're just storing it in a standard cupboard, they recommend that you don't store it any longer than it was aged for (so if you were to have bought a '2008' labelled Champagne in 2014, you should drink it by 2020).

Thanks for that, seems it'll be safe to pop the cork this season!

Double-barralled names seem to be on the increase - equality of sexes, wanting to keep family name going, wanting to sound posh etc.

I have heard of triple-barralled but admittedly very rarely. BUT

surely it is only a matter of time before double-barralled and double-baralled marries and we have a quadruple-baralled - Mr and Mrs Smith-Jones-Brown-White

Double-barralled names seem to be on the increase - equality of sexes, wanting to keep family name going, wanting to sound posh etc.

I have heard of triple-barralled but admittedly very rarely. BUT

surely it is only a matter of time before double-barralled and double-baralled marries and we have a quadruple-baralled - Mr and Mrs Smith-Jones-Brown-White

Off The Ball had a bit about this a couple of years ago, Craig Burley marries Liz Hurley and she becomes Liz Hurley-Burley

Can't remember any of the others but I am sure that JKBers will be able to supply some suitable marriages.

Who controls the siren in an emergency vehicle? The driver or a passenger?

Depends on the vehicle, some of ours are controlled by the horn when the 'Blues' are on. Others are a manual switch controlled by the Passenger

Why do middle aged men keep their wallets in their back pockets?

Further from your hand, easier to pick pocket and your always sitting on it???

It's a logical place to keep it. Where else would you put it if you don't have a jacket on?

The only pain is that you tend to own a lot of pairs of jeans with one worn out back pocket.

Why do you look at yer Greyfriars Bobby after depositing it in the Jackie Chan?  Are you not convinced you done it?

Because it looks good. 

And if you've pulled a munter it's a bit less time looking at her face.

It's a logical place to keep it. Where else would you put it if you don't have a jacket on?

The only pain is that you tend to own a lot of pairs of jeans with one worn out back pocket.

Phone in the right pocket. Wallet in the left.

How is sitting on your wallet comfortable!?

And lean against the wall with forearm whilst havin a piss... 

Same! has to be for the daily ritual of not forgetting either!

How is having your wallet in your front pocket comfortable?

Also loving Gadgey55's attempts at pretending he isn't middle aged on this thread.

Why do you look at yer Greyfriars Bobby after depositing it in the Jackie Chan?  Are you not convinced you done it?

Quantity Surveying

Also loving Gadgey55's attempts at pretending he isn't middle aged on this thread.

This. And it looks stupid.

Inside pocket of a jacket if you have one. Back pocket of jeans if not.

Why do you look at yer Greyfriars Bobby after depositing it in the Jackie Chan? Are you not convinced you done it?

It's an instinctive thing to check that you are in healthy working order. We're very uptight in this country so we let the faeces fall straight into the water to be forgotten about but you can't fight nature. You'll find in other countries (Germany for one) there is a little shelf in the bowl to allow you to have a good inspection before flushing.

Why do people, usually women, it seems, not have their money ready, or even their purse or wallet easily available, when a bus arrives, even if they have been waiting ten or fifteen minutes for the bus?

Edited by Claudia

Anyone who keeps coins in their wallet is a *****. I've said it and I stand by it. Coins in a wallet turn it into a purse. Phone in right front pocket, coins in left, wallet back right. Anything else is just plain wrong

Anyone who keeps coins in their wallet is a *****. I've said it and I stand by it. Coins in a wallet turn it into a purse. Phone in right front pocket, coins in left, wallet back right. Anything else is just plain wrong

:spoton:

Old people are so strange.

I got a wallet that has a wee coin bit in it.

Revolutionary m8. I spend much less money because I don't dump my change somewhere and forget about it.

Found 20 quid in change last night in my cars ashtray :laugh:

Phone has to go front left, too much in the right side otherwise.

I got a wallet that has a wee coin bit in it.

Revolutionary m8. I spend much less money because I don't dump my change somewhere and forget about it.

Found 20 quid in change last night in my cars ashtray :laugh:

No, what you have there is a purse.

AlphonseCapone

Exactly mate, first questions I ask folk before deciding whether to continue associating with them.

The Mighty Thor

What age is classed as middle aged these days?

I heard something on radio 2 the other day where they described a guy of 46 as middle aged.

How did the scoring in a tennis game come about?

Believe its got some thing to do with using a clock as a scoreboard. Not entirely sure though.