Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

If you add up all the humans that have ever died since the species began, it's still less than the number of humans alive right now.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

invernessjt

If you add up all the humans that have ever died since the species began, it's still less than the number of humans alive right now.

Don't believe you.

the number alive right now is probably about 5% of the total humans ever.

GlasgowHMFC23

On bottles of Orangina it tells us to shake it up, because all the juicy, orangey bits lie at the bottom after sitting on the shelf to long. Its fizzy though. I get fizzy juice all over my hands every time.

Why is that?

*Gently shake

Bridge of Djoum

It's only us Western Europeans and your Tuareg that have evolved to continue to tolerate lactose past weaning. Something like 95% of the adult Chinese population are lactose intolerant.

For this, I read ''Lacoste'' intolerant!!!

What a fud I am.

Why is it, when you try on new clothes in the shop and they fit, yet once you've bought them and get them home, they don't ?

Magic Mirrors in shops, lighting and smell fool your senses into thinking you look the bees knees when you try something on. Its when you get home under normal conditions you realise you look a tw*t.

Guilty of buying clothes I've hated in the past. Bought a leather jacket years ago and it had a (fake) fur collar. It looked great in the shop. When I got it home I realised how shit it was. Wore it once and handed it into the charity shop the following day :(

Why are (non-organic) minerals concentrated in certain areas - gold and platinum in South Africa, uranium in Niger, tin in Cornwall etc and not more evenly distributed around the Earth's crust?

How come when you weigh yourself and then have a dump, then weigh yourself again, you haven't lost any weight? That must mean that turds don't weigh anything.

Its because its contained within the vacum of the stomache and bowel. Its to do with the surrounding air. For example if you are inside a sealed van and jump in the air the total weight of the van as you are in mid air is not effected. Had the van had an open roof and you jumped then the weight of the van decreases by your body weight.

On bottles of Orangina it tells us to shake it up, because all the juicy, orangey bits lie at the bottom after sitting on the shelf to long. Its fizzy though. I get fizzy juice all over my hands every time.

Why is that?

You aren't supposed to shake it like you're having a ham shank ;)

JamboInSouthsea

Why are (non-organic) minerals concentrated in certain areas - gold and platinum in South Africa, uranium in Niger, tin in Cornwall etc and not more evenly distributed around the Earth's crust?

Not 100% sure but it may be because elements of a feather, stick together..if you get my meaning?

You aren't supposed to shake it like you're having a ham shank ;)

Its the only way i know how.

Minerals do accumulate in certain layers of the earth's crust, most of these layers being deep underground (as in close to the mantle deep). Over the millions of years, plate tectonics has rumpled these layers, forcing them to the surface at certain locations. This is why we see veins of gold in certain areas and not others.

Coal is a different matter. It is formed from dead trees of ancient forests.

To me the most amazing thing about science is not so much the things that are discovered (though there are no end of bobby dazzlers...) but how the hell anybody knows them. The percentage of each element on Jupiter, just by looking at it? Dividing the first moments of the Universe into billionths of seconds?

The best thing in the natural world may well be reproduction. Not in a hippy way, but a new person being created with its own personality and able to repeat the trick within about 12 years (if it wanted to) is a belter. A real WTF thing.

Bridge of Djoum

Until about 2 days ago, I always wondered why Italy play in blue, but their flag is green white and red.

blue is the colour of Savoia, which as you probably know, was the ruling house of Italy from 1861 until 1946. Until then, the country's flag always had the Savoy coat of arms on it. It is only since the Italian Republic was established post-war that the tricolor has been the national flag. So now you know.

I used to wonder about why its British Racing Green...

Apparently when F1 was first starting each country picked its racing colour; Obviously the Italians went with red, I think it was yellow the Germans picked and so on. The reason why Britain chose green was because we weren't able to show the early races in the UK due to speed restrictions. So we held our races in Ireland and chose green as a mark of respect.

When did the BBC and ITV start showing the "current score" in the corner of the screen when broadcasting live matches? Currently watching USSR Vs Belgium from Mexico '86 and there isn't even the time on the screen.

When did the BBC and ITV start showing the "current score" in the corner of the screen when broadcasting live matches? Currently watching USSR Vs Belgium from Mexico '86 and there isn't even the time on the screen.

It was brought in to stop people in the pubs etc asking others "whats the score?", Now people ask "is that the score?" kind of defeats the purpose.

Note this may not be the reason but more of an observation.

Sky started the whole score and time thing when they first won the rights to the Premiership. Everyone else followed suit.

I used to wonder about why its British Racing Green...

Apparently when F1 was first starting each country picked its racing colour; Obviously the Italians went with red, I think it was yellow the Germans picked and so on. The reason why Britain chose green was because we weren't able to show the early races in the UK due to speed restrictions. So we held our races in Ireland and chose green as a mark of respect.

UK -Green

Italy - Red

France - Blue

Belgium - Yellow

Germany - White

and so on.

Interestingly German cars are now associated with silver as they stripped the paint of the cars to save weight. When Ecurie Ecosse were racing at Le Mans in the 50's they raced in dark blue as a Scottish team, Mercedes objected as it wasn't the correct colour for a british team. So Ecurie said they would repaint the cars, if Mercedes painted theirs white. The complaint was withdrawn.

UK -Green

Italy - Red

France - Blue

Belgium - Yellow

Germany - White

and so on.

Interestingly German cars are now associated with silver as they stripped the paint of the cars to save weight. When Ecurie Ecosse were racing at Le Mans in the 50's they raced in dark blue as a Scottish team, Mercedes objected as it wasn't the correct colour for a british team. So Ecurie said they would repaint the cars, if Mercedes painted theirs white. The complaint was withdrawn.

cool post man :thumbsup:

cool post man :thumbsup:

And partly wrong, it seems that the no paint to save weight thing is a bit of an urban myth. Oh well, mostly correct.

And partly wrong, it seems that the no paint to save weight thing is a bit of an urban myth. Oh well, mostly correct.

Funnily enough I heard something about the paint a while ago, must be an urban myth then.

Edited by Marvin

• 4 months later...

How did Stevie Fulton's 'booked for being ugly' chat come about?

Why do Lothian Buses run services to Midlothian, East Lothian but not West Lothian?

How did Stevie Fulton's 'booked for being ugly' chat come about?

Why do Lothian Buses run services to Midlothian, East Lothian but not West Lothian?

Hibs fans were singing "you're so ******* ugly"

Fulton responded by blowing then a kiss and was booked.

Fans sing "booked for being ugly"

Prince Buaben

They do now run a service to west lothian but before it was an agreement with first bus that they wouldn't run out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck berrys hairline

They do now run a service to west lothian but before it was an agreement with first bus that they wouldn't run out there.

I've never seen a lothian bus out here, unless your just talking about kirknewton? Only rivals are horsborough who in my eyes deliver a fast cheap reliable service.

Absolutely spot on.

If memory serves me correctly, it was the 1-0 derby win back in 1997 when McCann scored and nonchalantly cupped his ear to the East Stand.

Prince Buaben

I've never seen a lothian bus out here, unless your just talking about kirknewton? Only rivals are horsborough who in my eyes deliver a fast cheap reliable service.

Aye that's the one.

They run one about 4am between Longstone and Livingston. I am assuming it is aimed at shift workers and bus drivers. It is classed as a night bus, though.

As for during the day, a deal was done with LRT, that saw them pull out their Edinburgh services.

Horsburgh run very few buses to and from Edinburgh, just the Royal Infirmary and the early 27 to Livingston. They are more reliable, though. They use to run an airport bus, which was excellent.

Edited by Claudia

And now I know! Cheers mate.

I think it was brought in between Italia 90 and USA 94.

Can't remember it being there for 92 Euros but I might be wrong

dobmisterdobster

What do the folk who tell you eastenders is next etc do in between their announcements? Is that there only job, just to introduce the next show?

They are called continuity announcers and that is their job.

It is done live in a booth at Broadcasting House or Pacific Quay in Scotland.

When people are about to die and they see light at the end of the tunnel, what if that light isn't heaven, but another vagina you are about to come out of.

When people are about to die and they see light at the end of the tunnel, what if that light isn't heaven, but another vagina you are about to come out of.

That is a belter - somewhere between mindblowing and sick.

Asylums were made for people like you... haha

Quite a common belief.

. This is the reason why in space you are weightless as there is essentially no gravity.

Not true, the crew of the space station orbiting Earth are not experiencing zero gravity, in fact gravity is the reason they are orbiting at all. The gravitational pull of the Earth is massive, if it wasn't, the moon would have buggered off years ago.

Edited by Getintaethem

The People's Chimp

Just tripping on DMT.

The People's Chimp

I just found out pineapples don't grow on trees. Mind blown.

grow-pineapple.jpg

I had a Pineapple as house plant till I left it out in the garden one year, and an early frost got it.

grow-pineapple.jpg

I had a Pineapple as house plant till I left it out in the garden one year, and an early frost got it.

Was musing the other day about pineapples.

They have gone from something of near-unimaginable luxury to a loss leader where their 'value' has been lost in an incredibly short period of time. Growing, transporting, processing, selling a pineapple for 69p.

event_104864112.jpeg

thumb_600.jpg?1339994883

Better call Saul

cheers for the link ..they are referred to as a flesh tunnel totally rank picture...

post-927-0-98376100-1415050474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ferris Bueller

lads that get they big rings into the bottom of their ear ...do there ear bits shrink again when the ring is removed.

Similarly, why do lads get those big rings into the bottom of their ear?

The fake images projected onto sports fields on TV coverage. How do they do that? Specifically in the NFL to show where the play begins and where they need to get to to get a 1st down.

They have the lines, but if someone stands on top of it then you don't see the line anymore, as if it is actually painted onto the grass. Also, the camera moves and the lines stay in the same place, as if they are painted onto the grass.

It's totally like the lines are painted onto the grass.

I don't understand how they do it. A much bigger question for me than the ones raised on the Universe thread.

How do the people who measure TV audiences know how many people are watching on each set? It could just be one member of the household or all of them. Surely the results are wildly inaccurate.

Also; how can I shower (naked :o) in my bathroom without a care in the world, but as soon as I pull a weird face/start miming along to 80's pop classics in the mirror I start to worry that there's a camera in there?

Kalamazoo Jambo

The fake images projected onto sports fields on TV coverage. How do they do that? Specifically in the NFL to show where the play begins and where they need to get to to get a 1st down.

They have the lines, but if someone stands on top of it then you don't see the line anymore, as if it is actually painted onto the grass. Also, the camera moves and the lines stay in the same place, as if they are painted onto the grass.

It's totally like the lines are painted onto the grass.

I don't understand how they do it. A much bigger question for me than the ones raised on the Universe thread.

1st and Ten graphics system.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/27009/explaining-magic-yellow-first-down-line

I had the answers to the Universe thread as well but thought this should take priority. Will get back to the Universe later.

Edited by Kalamazoo Jambo