Whisky

kingantti1874

Have recently been gifted a bottle of Springbank 21 year old malt from the wife's uncle. 21 years ago he bought a cask from them and got them to fill it. They kept it and bottled it for him earlier this year. It's around the 54% mark. He's made me promise not to open it until my own son turns 21 and we can have a dram together on his birthday. He's 4 just now so a long wait ahead. His birthday is Hogmanay. No better day to open a new bottle.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have recently been gifted a bottle of Springbank 21 year old malt from the wife's uncle. 21 years ago he bought a cask from them and got them to fill it. They kept it and bottled it for him earlier this year. It's around the 54% mark. He's made me promise not to open it until my own son turns 21 and we can have a dram together on his birthday. He's 4 just now so a long wait ahead. His birthday is Hogmanay. No better day to open a new bottle.

Is he keeping it all (or giving to friends and family etc) or is he selling some of it back to the distillery? I've often wondered about the economics of buying a cask. Springbank 21 year old sounds absolutely wonderful, by the way. I was at a friend's 50th in London a couple of weeks ago and took him a bottle of Springbank 18, which cost me an arm and a leg.

Keeping most of it and distributing some amongst close friends and family. He has the option of selling some back but is not doing it. They are storing all the bottles for him. He has a personalized label on the bottle which they made for him. He stays in New Zealand and was over for a funeral (which means his planned visit later this year is now cancelled) and he picked up a load of bottles to take home. He also has another 21 year old port cask Springbank too!

I looked online and saw some similar bottles going for a couple of hundred plus!!

I might as well throw my tuppence worth in....Mortlach, Balvennie, Highland Park, Oban, Macallan are all favourites of mine (I'm not really into the peaty whiskies). And despite not liking the 12, I really like Glenfiddich 18.

I've never tried Glenfarclas but after all the recommendations, a bottle of that will be on my Christmas list!

Is he keeping it all (or giving to friends and family etc) or is he selling some of it back to the distillery? I've often wondered about the economics of buying a cask. Springbank 21 year old sounds absolutely wonderful, by the way. I was at a friend's 50th in London a couple of weeks ago and took him a bottle of Springbank 18, which cost me an arm and a leg.

Some people really will do anything to get on the plane first!

I know of some people who have clubbed together on a different internet forum to buy a cask or two from a distillery. Just for their personal use.

Kickback Malt anyone?

:cheers:

All roads lead to Gorgie

I know of some people who have clubbed together on a different internet forum to buy a cask or two from a distillery. Just for their personal use.

Kickback Malt anyone?

What about six casks of Highland Park, Edradour,Ardmore,Royal Lochnagar, Talisker, and Springbank. There you go H.E.A.R.T.S.

Kickback Malt anyone?

Sounds good to me! Here's a site selling casks, looks a bit steep mind:

http://www.whiskybroker.co.uk/index_files/casksavailable.htm

Also, if you need a professional opinion...

Kickback Malt anyone?

Something distilled in 2012 maybe? And then have it bottled in 2027?

A cask of Glen Rudi 15 year old. I'm starting to get interested...

All roads lead to Gorgie

what about a cask distilled in 1902. Who could wait all that time for anything. Oh wait a minute I've just thought of something.

The Speysides tend to have the sweetness (not all mind), and I've always found The Balvenie and Glen Grant to also have a nuttiness, although generally almonds.

Woah! Quality stuff. Sure you can wait that long?

Would recommend Cadenheads on the High St who are owned by the same family who produce Springbank, Hazelburn and Longrow. Great stuff.

One of the latest from their stable... a stunner... heavily peated but finished for 4 years in an Australian Shiraz cask. Wonderful stuff. Cask strength an aw.

2666700002215_xl.jpg

Woah! Quality stuff. Sure you can wait that long?

Would recommend Cadenheads on the High St who are owned by the same family who produce Springbank, Hazelburn and Longrow. Great stuff.

One of the latest from their stable... a stunner... heavily peated but finished for 4 years in an Australian Shiraz cask. Wonderful stuff. Cask strength an aw.

2666700002215_xl.jpg

It's definitely going to be a long wait, but the occasion will definitely deserve something special. I'm only now starting to try the peated whisky. I moved into a house called Ardbeg last year. Before that I wouldn't have ever chosen to drink that type of whisky but am now starting to develop a taste for it. Might give the one you mentioned a bash. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Sounds really interesting.

Islays are good if you like a peaty punch in the gob. Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Laphroaig and the mighty Lagavulin are excellent.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or, matured in Sauternes casks, is heaven. Smooth and honeyed.

Head to Cadenheads on the High St for an education.

I agree with that. It's an incredible whisky, but expensive. Ordinary Glenmorangie is a fine, fine drink too.

Can't handle the peaty Islay malts. They leave an odd taste in my mouth and often give me heartburn.

To the OP, get yourself a supply of Strongbow. Far superior to beer, imho.

Only relatively new to whisky myself despite my old man's best efforts over the years, getting right into it though. Can also vouch for the balvenie double wood and singleton of Dufftown as an easy going introduction. Favourites so far are highland park, talisker and caol Ila.

Right gents, took the plunge... Bottle of tallisker... So what should I mix? Water? Lemonade? Or straight?

On a side note how about this for an ice cube mould?

http://www.iconiccollectables.com/store/collectables/star-wars-death-star-silicone-tray?google-base

Straight or a drop of water to break up the flavours. No juice ever

All roads lead to Gorgie

The GlenLivet 12 year old for me tonight. Straightforward Speyside, sweet and soft. Not one of the big hitters but one I was given for my birthday so giving it a go.

Always add water, just under 30% to malt whisky to bring out the full flavor of the drink

Everyone to his own taste, of course, but I think malt should be either straight up, or half a teaspoon of cold water to 50cl of whisky. Adding 30% would ruin it for me. :cheers:

Everyone to his own taste, of course, but I think malt should be either straight up, or half a teaspoon of cold water to 50cl of whisky. Adding 30% would ruin it for me. :cheers:

This. Although I will occasionally put a single ice cube in a dram. Each to their own though

This thread has inspired an evening's worth of trawling through whisky websites. I've now got the urge to add to my very small stash of collectible whiskies. Can see myself spending half of this afternoon at Cadenhead's on the Royal Mile.

This thread has inspired an evening's worth of trawling through whisky websites. I've now got the urge to add to my very small stash of collectible whiskies. Can see myself spending half of this afternoon at Cadenhead's on the Royal Mile.

Same here! I get paid on Friday and am skint at the moment. Will head out on Friday and pick up a bottle of something I've never tried before. That Longrow Red which Alba gu Brath posted earlier in the thread caught my eye. Don't know how much a bottle would be though. Anything between 30-40 notes is probably my limit.

Same here! I get paid on Friday and am skint at the moment. Will head out on Friday and pick up a bottle of something I've never tried before. That Longrow Red which Alba gu Brath posted earlier in the thread caught my eye. Don't know how much a bottle would be though. Anything between 30-40 notes is probably my limit.

Longrow Red was ?49 in Cadenhead's yesterday. I had an interesting trawl down the whisky shops in the Royal Mile, starting at the top and working my way down. You really do have to be careful with prices - there was a ?22 variation in the price of Springburn 18 from top to bottom. It was about ?5 cheaper for every couple of hundred yards you got away from the castle!

As a German friend said to me last week, Scotland must be just about the most expensive place on earth to buy whisky.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Longrow Red was ?49 in Cadenhead's yesterday. I had an interesting trawl down the whisky shops in the Royal Mile, starting at the top and working my way down. You really do have to be careful with prices - there was a ?22 variation in the price of Springburn 18 from top to bottom. It was about ?5 cheaper for every couple of hundred yards you got away from the castle!

As a German friend said to me last week, Scotland must be just about the most expensive place on earth to buy whisky.

Have you tried The James pringle discount place in Bangor Rd Leith. It's a bit grannies heiland hame and geared for bus tours when you get there but they do have a good selection of malts many in indy bottles. Some special offers too but don't know how prices compare to up town.

All roads lead to Gorgie

balvenie-17-double-wood.jpg Magnificent

And nice coloured packaging as well.

Have you tried The James pringle discount place in Bangor Rd Leith. It's a bit grannies heiland hame and geared for bus tours when you get there but they do have a good selection of malts many in indy bottles. Some special offers too but don't know how prices compare to up town.

No - I didn't even know of its existence. Thanks, will take a look at this place.

And Jamdub - that Doublewood 17 looks fantastic.

My old man had a business called Whisky Galore up in Aviemore. He dealt mainly in miniatures (wrote a small book called scotch in miniature) and still has an amazing collection in display cabinets in the house. He has also, in the last couple of years, sold and very rare Macallan for around ?9k - gifted to him some years ago; it paid for their flights to Oz to see my sister!

I'm a big fan of quality blends. Ballantines 17yr is tremendous. If I'm out and we've moved onto shorts then I take a whisky soda - Bailie Nichol Jarvie, Johnnie Walker black label or such.

Edinburgh blend Great Kings St is fine stuff but you dont get it in many places yet. They're bringing the quality back to blends after years of neglect by mass produced paint strippers.

http://compassboxwhisky.com/greatkingstreet/greatkingstreet.php

My old man had a business called Whisky Galore up in Aviemore. He dealt mainly in miniatures (wrote a small book called scotch in miniature) and still has an amazing collection in display cabinets in the house. He has also, in the last couple of years, sold and very rare Macallan for around ?9k - gifted to him some years ago; it paid for their flights to Oz to see my sister!

Niiiiiice. 9k!!!

We were talking about whisky yesterday.. Looked at the Whisky exchange Whyte & Mackay in Buzzard, Merlin, Osprey etc decanters ?75. I have about 10 various one's....Discontinued now. ....Also got a bottle of Whyte & Mackay millennium. Only 300 made. Cant find a price..

Got this recently from Sainsburys. Think they had a few quid of and I had a few quid in Nectar points which brought the price down to ?40. Good stuff but I wouldn't have paid ?70 for it which is what the original price is I think.

It scored highly in this year's Whisky Fringe though.

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/category.asp?cat_id=HELPSPIR13&lkid=184

Haha, reminds me of the time we went to the Talisker distillery for a tour etc, then you go through the shop on the way out.

I thought that I might as well buy a bottle there as it wouldn't or rather shouldn't be cheaper anywhere else.

Much to my disgust it was on offer in the Co-op in Broadford 25 miles away about ?10 cheaper. :veryangry:

We tried a few years ago on here to get a wee whisky tasting evening on the go at the http://www.smws.co.uk/ - was talk of it after a home fixture. Anyhow, great stuff on sale here all the time.

For starting out why not go close to home - Glenkinchie is a nice light whisky made just down the road. Then branch out a bit!

The Balvenie is my standard go to whisky though, but Scapa, Tullibardine & Bruichladdich are always welcome. (in fact any malt is welcome).

Airport shopping for whisky is not all bad - most bottles coming in litre sizes for a start...

Got my Dad this for his birthday recently.

strathisla-12-year-old-whisky.jpg

Malts are nice, but I quite like a decent blend...Johnny Walker or J&B do me fine.

Or a wee BNJ

bailie-nicol-jarvie-blended-scotch-whisky.jpg

get yourself on the rum, great sipping rum out there. Ron Zacapa ?38 for a litre from edinburgh airport and its good with one cube of ice, Diplimatico Reserva or El Dourado are ace too

I'm going for my first trip to the whisky society this weekend. Anyone members?

I've thought about joining, but there's an initial fee plus an annual subscription. You get a few miniatures and some trinkets when you join (used to be a whole bottle), but I suppose the main benefits of membership are the use of the premises and the ability to buy their bottlings - very expensive though they are. I might treat myself soon.

I've thought about joining, but there's an initial fee plus an annual subscription. You get a few miniatures and some trinkets when you join (used to be a whole bottle), but I suppose the main benefits of membership are the use of the premises and the ability to buy their bottlings - very expensive though they are. I might treat myself soon.

I got a year's membership as a birthday present years ago, but didn't renew. The main reason for this was - whilst I enjoy a tasty whisky now and again - I really only drink it in the house and only have a nip very occasionally when I'm out. I just could never get used to drinking enough whilst there to make it worthwhile renewing: I'm too used to drinking beer and just get too thirsty if I try and stay on the whiskies.

Another factor was that I didn't get on with the staff at the George Street premises. Instead of the efficient, but friendly and relaxed, service that should be a hallmark of somewhere like that, they always gave me the impression that they were doing the customers a favour by serving them, and didn't really give a shit. I avoid pubs where I get that attitude from the bar-staff, so I found it very irritating to find it in a venue where you're paying quite handsomely for the "privilege" of drinking there... Maybe they're better at the Leith venue, but I've only ever been there a couple of times. Mates of mine go there fairly regularly and seem to enjoy it, so maybe it's a different story down there.

The whiskies are expensive too - even by the glass - so, all-in-all, I decided it wasn't for me.

Archived