Whisky

kingantti1874

Looking for a new drink kick backers, must stay off the beer for a while....anyone recommend a decent whisky or other spirit (not vodka)...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for a new drink kick backers, must stay off the beer for a while....anyone recommend a decent whisky or other spirit (not vodka)...

If you're put off by the peatier, smokier Islay whiskies then I'd recommend Balvenie Doublewood as a very good, approachable Speyside malt.

If you're put off by the peatier, smokier Islay whiskies then I'd recommend Balvenie Doublewood as a very good, approachable Speyside malt.

Drinking one now, excellent

Love the odd whisky but one too many (usually over two) and I wake up in bed the next day, fully clothed. And the hangovers are grim.

I like pretty much any Islay whisky. Started on Laphroaigh though so thats kinda my staple whisky, love Ardbeg though. Talisker is from Skye but pretty peatty too.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

The aforementioned Balvenie is good choice, as is Highland Park.

Intense hangovers though.

Jack D & Coke is the proper man's choice. Get bladdered most weekends on it. Nae hangover, but a few visits to the cludgie the following day.

Jack D & Coke is the proper man's choice. Get bladdered most weekends on it. Nae hangover, but a few visits to the cludgie the following day.

Never got the love in for jack. It's sickly sweet when mixed with coke (I appreciate the 500 spoonfuls of sugar in the coke aren't helping).

The aforementioned Balvenie is good choice, as is Highland Park.

Intense hangovers though.

i've never had a brutal hangover from a decent whisky, even when i've tanned a fair bit. true enough, i've still been pissed the next morning a few times, but that tends to seamlessly wear off throughout the day, without headaches or anything. shame it's so expensive :(

i'd go for jura if it's your first fling with the stuff, quite sweet but not overly so, you'd probably describe it as 'accessible' or something.

Whatever spirit you choose buy the best quality you can afford, the better the quality the less impurities that will be in it, it's these that give the worst hang overs.

i've never had a brutal hangover from a decent whisky, even when i've tanned a fair bit. true enough, i've still been pissed the next morning a few times, but that tends to seamlessly wear off throughout the day, without headaches or anything. shame it's so expensive :(

i'd go for jura if it's your first fling with the stuff, quite sweet but not overly so, you'd probably describe it as 'accessible' or something.

More or less as I have just said without reading that post first

Islays are good if you like a peaty punch in the gob. Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Laphroaig and the mighty Lagavulin are excellent.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or, matured in Sauternes casks, is heaven. Smooth and honeyed.

Head to Cadenheads on the High St for an education.

Oh, Waitrose have a decent selection with some good offers now and then.

Aberlour A' Bunadh at 60% is a heavily sherried monster of a whisky. Lovely stuff.

Although I will drink just about any whisky my preference is for a Speyside single malt and I would recommend starting with one of those in the first instance. You can expand your taste from there.

The Baxters shop in Ocean Terminal used to have an excellent variety of whisky covering all price ranges. Don't know it it is still there.

One of the joys of whisky is there's not that many that aren't delicious, though I'd steer clear of the cheaper blends and stick to malts to start with. There are some cracking blends out there mind, though I may be biased...

If you're looking for something to start you off, you might want to go with a fairly easy going malt, such as Scapa, Dalwhinnie, Glenlivet etc, which should give you an idea of the grassier, sweeter end of the spectrum. From there, you might want to move onto richer territory, such as the European Oak-dominated Macallan, Mortlach, Glenfarclas etc (though I'm not sure about Macallans new range tbh). The final part of your descent into alcoholism should probably involve some smoky, west-coast big hitters, probably starting off with something milder like Talisker or Bowmore before completely obliterating your tastebuds with an Ardbeg, Lagavulin or Laphroiag!

And don't come back here complaining after your wife leaves you, your body gives up on you and you're destitute!

And don't come back here complaining after your wife leaves you, your body gives up on you and you're destitute!

Awww, but they're the best posts.

Is this for when you're out or in the house? if it's for the house would definitely suggest wine, you can start a whole journey of wonderful discovery. If it's for the pub then unfortunately most of the wine in pubs is ropey where as pretty much every pub will have some decent malts.

I used to drink it when I was younger but one bad night on it meant I don't touch the stuff but I don't mind a womens whiskey, by womens whiskey I mean a liqueur!

I used to drink it when I was younger but one bad night on it meant I don't touch the stuff but I don't mind a womens whiskey, by womens whiskey I mean a liqueur!

Drambuie and Grouse, Rusty Nail, used to be my poison but it is the only thing that gave me blackouts from the night before. Last time I had it was on my stag night in 91.

It is lovely though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Drambuie and Grouse, Rusty Nail, used to be my poison but it is the only thing that gave me blackouts from the night before. Last time I had it was on my stag night in 91.

It is lovely though.

Most of the pubs I frequent only really have Glayva or Drambuie. The pub I used to work in got a free bottle of Grouse liqueur once which was surprisingly tasty but I've never seen it again.

Lot's of interesting looking liqueurs here - http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-311.aspx

Most of the pubs I frequent only really have Glayva or Drambuie. The pub I used to work in got a free bottle of Grouse liqueur once which was surprisingly tasty but I've never seen it again.

Lot's of interesting looking liqueurs here - http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-311.aspx

Some of them look lovely but I've gave up the bevvy now, had 2 1/2 pints at the Sham 69 gig and felt fecked the next morning. I'll stick to pints of hot Tea from now on, or until the next concert, or until my brother comes back home on holiday, or one of my kids say they are having a kid.

About the only alcohol I can't drink.

Same here, pretty much a guaranteed spew! Plus I can't stand the wankery that surrounds a lot of Whisky drinkers!

on your 'any other spirit' question.

havana-club-anejo-3-anos-1l-435813_p.jpg

Havana 7 is good too.

And yet you missed out the Havana 5 (also known as the Especial) which is better than both! I do agree with you though, Rum is an excellent tipple and much more versatile than other spirits with having White, Gold, Dark and Spiced rums!

Was at a party last Friday that was sponsored by Sailor Jerry and had Jason Scott from Bramble there making SJ Cocktails, not normally a huge SJ fan but when you mix it with Port, Pineapple juice, Apple juice, Bitters, fresh lime and nutmeg it is a thing of beauty!

Just curious, what's wrong with vodka? Great versatile drink.

Have you tried tequila? What about bourbon?

As previously mentioned you get what you pay for. Just like single malts pretty much every spirit as a premium, superior quality range that is usually smoother, finer and tastier.

All roads lead to Gorgie

If you like that west coast hint of the sea but don't like the big peaty ones like Ardbeg etc I would try Bunnahabhain from Islay or maybe a Tobermory . My favourites though are the sherry casked Speysides like MacAllan, Glenfarclas and the like. Tried one from Muir of Ord called Glen Ord once which was very good but can't seem to find it anywhere now. Anyone going up to Dingwall this weekend might check it out.

Absolutely this.

If you like that west coast hint of the sea but don't like the big peaty ones like Ardbeg etc I would try Bunnahabhain from Islay or maybe a Tobermory . My favourites though are the sherry casked Speysides like MacAllan, Glenfarclas and the like. Tried one from Muir of Ord called Glen Ord once which was very good but can't seem to find it anywhere now. Anyone going up to Dingwall this weekend might check it out.

Or, for an east coast hint of the sea, Old Pulteney and - especially - Clynelish are very tasty and tangy malts.

Muir of Ord whisky has been called various things over the years, including "Muir of Ord"! You're right, though, it's a nice, soft, Highland malt, but the owners and those trying to market it seem to have a problem hitting on the "right" name for the brand.

It's called Singleton of Glen Ord now, lovely stuff but it's only sold in the Far East! The equivalent here is the Singleton of Dufftown, which is a very different beast. I'm sure Royal Mile Whiskies will have the Ord though...

It's called Singleton of Glen Ord now, lovely stuff but it's only sold in the Far East! The equivalent here is the Singleton of Dufftown, which is a very different beast. I'm sure Royal Mile Whiskies will have the Ord though...

Just had a wee look on Google, and apparently the Singleton of Glen Ord is now also available in the UK, but only from (at?) the distillery itself.

Just curious, what's wrong with vodka? Great versatile drink.

Have you tried tequila? What about bourbon?

As previously mentioned you get what you pay for. Just like single malts pretty much every spirit as a premium, superior quality range that is usually smoother, finer and tastier.

Just a bit bored of vodka mate.. Just looking for something new, lots of great suggestions

AngleParkMenace
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.malts.com/var/plain_site/storage/images/choosing-whisky/a-world-of-flavour/the-single-malt-whisky-flavour-map/a-guide-to-flavours/125896-16-eng-ROW/A-Guide-to-Flavours.png&imgrefurl=http://www.malts.com/index.php/Choosing-Whisky/A-World-of-Flavour/The-Single-Malt-Whisky-Flavour-Map&h=609&w=608&sz=376&tbnid=lJ_9E5SrkMNs5M:&tbnh=84&tbnw=84&zoom=1&usg=__z5JtsqT3cbkvEvEwX86EJ4D7yn0=&docid=dXhLfpcBiJ8gmM&sa=X&ei=JVo7UrqvJeXM0AXblYHoAQ&ved=0CDYQ9QEwAA Use the above taste map to see what your taste buds may like. Start in the middle with a Singleton or Glenmorangie and take it from there. Gradually work your way out and see what takes your fancy. The big smoky malts may prove to be too strong at the outset but once you have acquired the taste they are a benchmark for many folk. Try a few down the pub, The Diggers has 40 on at ?2.50 so not a huge outlay to find your favourite. They do say that there is a single malt out there for every palate.

Glenfarclas is a thing of absolute beauty.

I agree with this. No fuss, no marketing crap, just perfect whiskies.

I'm a big fan of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Macallan, Springbank, Highland Park, Scapa, Dalwhinnie, Edradour, Clynelish and the much-maligned Fettercairn, although I haven't tasted the last-named in its newer incarnations. Not the world's most original list, it has to be said.

Whisky is a constant source of interest for me. As with brewing in Scotland, we're in the middle of a Golden Age. It's just brilliant.

I agree with this. No fuss, no marketing crap, just perfect whiskies.

I'm a big fan of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Macallan, Springbank, Highland Park, Scapa, Dalwhinnie, Edradour, Clynelish and the much-maligned Fettercairn, although I haven't tasted the last-named in its newer incarnations. Not the world's most original list, it has to be said.

Whisky is a constant source of interest for me. As with brewing in Scotland, we're in the middle of a Golden Age. It's just brilliant.

To an extent, my chief concern is the number of poor quality products currently being released to meet the seemingly insatiable demand, including some of the ones you've mentioned (not naming them in case I get into bother!).

Scapa 16y/o from Orkney.

Unreal. Costs a fair whack in edinburgh right enough but my god - delicious.

Scapa 16y/o from Orkney.

Unreal. Costs a fair whack in edinburgh right enough but my god - delicious.

Bought a bottle in Kirkwall last year, need to try it now my supplies are getting low(er).

All roads lead to Gorgie

Just had a wee look on Google, and apparently the Singleton of Glen Ord is now also available in the UK, but only from (at?) the distillery itself.

Thanks for the info. First tried it in a set of miniatures I think and then in a pub in Fort William.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Glenfarclas is a thing of absolute beauty.

Spot on. Rarely under ?35 a bottle but worth every penny. The MacAllan comes close but is still well behind.

To an extent, my chief concern is the number of poor quality products currently being released to meet the seemingly insatiable demand, including some of the ones you've mentioned (not naming them in case I get into bother!).

I know what you mean. There's a risk that some of the special editions which are being issued are not much more than a gimmick to use up excess stock. I know Bruichladdich (for example) has made itself unpopular with some people with its aggressive marketing of seemingly endless new expressions. On the plus side, though, there is simply a huge range of hitherto unavailable whiskies to try, and if you know what you're doing your chances of getting hold of something rare and interesting are pretty high.

The People's Chimp

If looking for a new drink, plunging head first into whisky might not be the best idea. Ease yourself in with some nice golden rums. Then work your way up.

I know what you mean. There's a risk that some of the special editions which are being issued are not much more than a gimmick to use up excess stock. I know Bruichladdich (for example) has made itself unpopular with some people with its aggressive marketing of seemingly endless new expressions. On the plus side, though, there is simply a huge range of hitherto unavailable whiskies to try, and if you know what you're doing your chances of getting hold of something rare and interesting are pretty high.

Indeed. Duty free/travel retail in particular seems to have become a dumping ground for poor quality whiskies, with a few notable exceptions. Tend to find a lot of the best bottlings these days are done by the independents, such as Adelphi, G&M and Berry Bros, as they don't have the same drive to shift volumes.

Archived