Whisky

kingantti1874

My brother much prefers the Leith one so I think we're heading down there. I'm hoping someones going to educate me first though as my knowledge is pretty limited.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a SMWS membership for a year. I'll probably join again. It's somewhere a bit different.

?122 for your fist year, which is fairly cheap compared to the ?900 for the New Club

My brother much prefers the Leith one so I think we're heading down there. I'm hoping someones going to educate me first though as my knowledge is pretty limited.

The staff are decent enough & will fill you in on the basics. I like the stuff but my knowledge is very limited.

I got a year's membership as a birthday present years ago, but didn't renew. The main reason for this was - whilst I enjoy a tasty whisky now and again - I really only drink it in the house and only have a nip very occasionally when I'm out. I just could never get used to drinking enough whilst there to make it worthwhile renewing: I'm too used to drinking beer and just get too thirsty if I try and stay on the whiskies.

Another factor was that I didn't get on with the staff at the George Street premises. Instead of the efficient, but friendly and relaxed, service that should be a hallmark of somewhere like that, they always gave me the impression that they were doing the customers a favour by serving them, and didn't really give a shit. I avoid pubs where I get that attitude from the bar-staff, so I found it very irritating to find it in a venue where you're paying quite handsomely for the "privilege" of drinking there... Maybe they're better at the Leith venue, but I've only ever been there a couple of times. Mates of mine go there fairly regularly and seem to enjoy it, so maybe it's a different story down there.

The whiskies are expensive too - even by the glass - so, all-in-all, I decided it wasn't for me.

To be honest I don't drink all that much either, although I've always got four or five bottles of whisky open at home. I wouldn't mind joining for a year and buying a few bottles to keep - some of their stuff comes up frequently at whisky auctions. I quite fancy the idea of the Leith premises as it's fairly local for me, too. I suppose the whole thing is a bit of a luxury, but their whiskies do sound interesting. I'll be dropping a few hints about Christmas over the next couple of weeks.

I checked out the smws website, 220 quid for an overseas membership. I would have probably signed up for 120. Not sure what the extra cost is for. Noticed that there is a couple of tastings coming up in Melbourne soon though.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

My starter Whisky for introducing people to single malts is always Glenkinchie. For bang for your buck I like a Auchentoshan 3 Wood. Macallan 18 and HP 18 will always have a place in my heart as my former employers and for an everyday dram it will be Laphraoig.

My starter Whisky for introducing people to single malts is always Glenkinchie. For bang for your buck I like a Auchentoshan 3 Wood. Macallan 18 and HP 18 will always have a place in my heart as my former employers and for an everyday dram it will be Laphraoig.

You'd be mortified with what your former employees are doing to their ranges at the moment! Though I must agree with the HP 18, absolutely stunning whisky.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

You'd be mortified with what your former employees are doing to their ranges at the moment! Though I must agree with the HP 18, absolutely stunning whisky.

When I worked for them I was never under any illusion that it was about anything other than cold hard cash after they brought out Macallan Fine Oak.

To be honest I think theyre hurting after the purchase of Brugal which hasnt really went to plan following the economic downturn.

Any more recommendations for a Scotch whisky with a nutty, sweet taste similar to Jack Daniel's?

Glenmorangie Ealanta or something similar, the reason boubons and JD are so sweet is because they have to be matured in brand new virgin american white oak caks, so they are intensely sweet, find a whisky thats also been matured in brand new american oak and it wiill be very similar to a bourbon

I'm going for my first trip to the whisky society this weekend. Anyone members?

I'm a member and a brand ambassador / barman at Queen st venue :thumbsup:

Any more recommendations for a Scotch whisky with a nutty, sweet taste similar to Jack Daniel's?

Compass Box Hedonism. Probably a bit more expensive than JD but worth every penny.

Glenmorangie Ealanta or something similar, the reason boubons and JD are so sweet is because they have to be matured in brand new virgin american white oak caks, so they are intensely sweet, find a whisky thats also been matured in brand new american oak and it wiill be very similar to a bourbon

I'll look into that, thanks. :2thumbsup:

Compass Box Hedonism. Probably a bit more expensive than JD but worth every penny.

Thanks.

What effect does peat have on the taste?

Thanks.

What effect does peat have on the taste?

All standard bottlings of single malt have been made from barley that has been dried using differing amounts of peat except for arran and glengoyne who dont use any peat in their drying process for their standard whisky.

Peat imparts a smokey flavour however how smokey and the type depends on how long they have dried it for and where the peat comes from. for example speyside whiskies generally have 2-3 Phenol Parts per Million while most Islay whisky is between 10-55.

Peat from islay also differs in composition from say peat on orkney, as orkney hasn't have any trees since neolithic times, therefore the peat imparts a different flavour on say Lagavulin, more medicinal then it does on Highland Park.

So you can see there is hell of a lot of factors which give the whisky different flavours, thats why its so great.

This explains the peat influence more indepth

http://www.whiskyforeveryone.com/whisky_basics/influence_of_peat.html

I'm a member and a brand ambassador / barman at Queen st venue :thumbsup:

:muggy:

If you're still selling bottles of Erdinger, get in some proper wheat-beer glasses, ya buncha feckin cheapskates...

And less of the feckin lip whilst you're about it, an' all!

;)

lol, we put our beer in Innis and Gunn style glasses now. and our wheat beer is Stewarts Hefeweizen at the mo :thumbsup:

All standard bottlings of single malt have been made from barley that has been dried using differing amounts of peat except for arran and glengoyne who dont use any peat in their drying process for their standard whisky.

Peat imparts a smokey flavour however how smokey and the type depends on how long they have dried it for and where the peat comes from. for example speyside whiskies generally have 2-3 Phenol Parts per Million while most Islay whisky is between 10-55.

Peat from islay also differs in composition from say peat on orkney, as orkney hasn't have any trees since neolithic times, therefore the peat imparts a different flavour on say Lagavulin, more medicinal then it does on Highland Park.

So you can see there is hell of a lot of factors which give the whisky different flavours, thats why its so great.

This explains the peat influence more indepth

http://www.whiskyfor...ce_of_peat.html

good info Hearts151.

Would you say Glengoyne 10yr is quite a good starting point for someone trying a malt for the first time as it's not as harsh complex as the Islay ones and maybe a bit more palatable for newcomers?

I bought myself a bottle of Bowmore 12 today and I am slightly disappointed. It is surprisingly watery and I can't detect any of the honey notes promised on the bottle. I might mix it with coke now.

Auchentoshan. Triple distilled and smooth as. They have a three wood if you like that type of thing. I'd try them all though. Different whisky for different situations and different moods.

Archived