jack D and coke

Watches

IronJambo
8 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Ive also read on trustpilot no import tax for UK and free DHL delivery.. 

Its a minefield buying shite these days!!

Unless there's a special relationship with Singapore (?) then I'd expect any delivery from a non EU country to give you a customs fee+VAT along with a handling fee from the carrier (DHL in this case) for any goods over £135. This may or may not be picked up by customs. 

muldoon74
6 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Unless there's a special relationship with Singapore (?) then I'd expect any delivery from a non EU country to give you a customs fee+VAT along with a handling fee from the carrier (DHL in this case) for any goods over £135. This may or may not be picked up by customs. 

Hence the reason for my post/query. 

Ive seen no delivery fees, no import tax and also both of them.

What have people actually experienced? 

IronJambo
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Hence the reason for my post/query. 

Ive seen no delivery fees, no import tax and also both of them.

What have people actually experienced? 

Not from creation obviously, but I've bought a phone for £300 that was sent to me from Dubai and it made it to me 23 hours after shipping with no customs duty or VAT added. On the other side of it, I bought a painting from a friend of a friend in the USA for somewhere between £100/£200 and it was hit with with all with all of the above. I think it's the luck of the draw on whether customs pick it up or not.

Edited by IronJambo

Fun Boaby
Posted (edited)

Whats the JKB View on Nomos Glashutte?

Edited by Fun Boaby

Sooperstar
1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

Whats the JKB View on Nomos Glashutte?

They look like watches an architect would wear.

Someone that looks like this guy.

happy-handsome-close-portrait-charming-260nw-1472483618.jpg

IronJambo

The wee one was sleeping when I got him home in the car so I left him till he woke. Nowt to do in the dark basement car park so I had a go at taking some lume shots.

i0n5qdS.jpg

jambo89

I was looking in to buying something decent but I have absolutely no idea about watches. 

There seems to be a few decent websites on-line for buying 2nd hand watches watchfinder being one of them.

There is a lot of eBay but not sure if you can trust them? if I am going to be spending £4,000 - £6000 on watch, I want to make the right purchase.

I should add, the reason I like that watchfinder website, is that it tells you the year the watch was made. I want to get a watch that was made the same year my son was born (2019) so that I can eventually gift it to him on his 18th birthday. 

Any help / ideas is welcome.

IronJambo
1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

I was looking in to buying something decent but I have absolutely no idea about watches. 

There seems to be a few decent websites on-line for buying 2nd hand watches watchfinder being one of them.

There is a lot of eBay but not sure if you can trust them? if I am going to be spending £4,000 - £6000 on watch, I want to make the right purchase.

I should add, the reason I like that watchfinder website, is that it tells you the year the watch was made. I want to get a watch that was made the same year my son was born (2019) so that I can eventually gift it to him on his 18th birthday. 

Any help / ideas is welcome.

I think there's a lot to consider. Firstly, the likes of chrono24/chronext and watchfinder are all way overpriced. So haggle if you go down that route.

Anything you buy now is going to depreciate. Some quite hideously (ok, not as badly as a car). There will be exceptions to that with some appreciating instead but what watches they are we can only speculate. We can only assume they'd come from Patek Phillipe, Jaeger Le Coultre, Audemars Piquet, or Rolex. Not that Rolex is in the same league as the aforementioned but for retaining/gaining value they belong in that sentence. 

It should be considered that the watch will need serviced before his 18th as well.

With all the above considered you're also buying a watch to your own tastes for someone who's tastes you don't know in 17 years time. It may even be that very few of us are wearing mechanical watches then and he may think it's a nonsense item because it doesn't read his emails to him. It could be way too big or way too small for him.

I think the idea has good merit and I may even steal it for my kids for their 21st but I don't think I could choose a watch for the wee dicks right now. 

There are plenty sites that sell birth year watches if you look around as well. 

I think I'd probably whack the money in an index funds isa and make the purchase much closer to his 18th. Extra money to spend or excess to put elsewhere as well as the watch. Win win. 

jambo89
48 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I think there's a lot to consider. Firstly, the likes of chrono24/chronext and watchfinder are all way overpriced. So haggle if you go down that route.

Anything you buy now is going to depreciate. Some quite hideously (ok, not as badly as a car). There will be exceptions to that with some appreciating instead but what watches they are we can only speculate. We can only assume they'd come from Patek Phillipe, Jaeger Le Coultre, Audemars Piquet, or Rolex. Not that Rolex is in the same league as the aforementioned but for retaining/gaining value they belong in that sentence. 

It should be considered that the watch will need serviced before his 18th as well.

With all the above considered you're also buying a watch to your own tastes for someone who's tastes you don't know in 17 years time. It may even be that very few of us are wearing mechanical watches then and he may think it's a nonsense item because it doesn't read his emails to him. It could be way too big or way too small for him.

I think the idea has good merit and I may even steal it for my kids for their 21st but I don't think I could choose a watch for the wee dicks right now. 

There are plenty sites that sell birth year watches if you look around as well. 

I think I'd probably whack the money in an index funds isa and make the purchase much closer to his 18th. Extra money to spend or excess to put elsewhere as well as the watch. Win win. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond IronJambo. There is some good information there and I will keep that in mind.

To be honest, I was going to just pick a watch that I liked and 'hope' that the wee man likes it in 17 years time. I also never considered that watches depreciate and thought they held their value well enough. So you are right, he may end up with a watch that, not only does he not like, but is completely worthless :)!

I've ended up in a bit of a rabbit hole with the index funds isa thing you mentioned. I already put away £60 p/m for him in to a junior isa (with TSB bank) but looks like I should've been putting it in an index fund. 

Lot's to consider and thanks for your response.

muldoon74

Fed up on Saturday night there, also bit drunk, so decided to cheer myself up a wee bit. 

Always, wanted a rectangle faced watch, saw this on amazon for £27 free delivery. Came this morning. 

Not best picture but I'm very pleased with it. Little details like the second hand being red with the RAF/Ben Sherman roundel on the end give it a wee hint of style. 

I have a round dial Ben Sherman aswell, bought in March. Set time to my everyday beater Garmin (Satellite controlled time so accurate) and its still pretty much in sync with it. Maybe 5/6 seconds out but over 5.5 months for a fashion piece I don't think that's bad at all. 

Also cheered the wife up by buying her an Elvis watch, although that arrives between 18th and 21st. Obviously coming from China but she's as happy with a £22 elvis, faced watch as she would be with a much more expensive one with no elvis face. In fact she'd be more wary of an expensive watch in case she broke it. Last Chinese, elvis one cost £15 and battery just died after 3 years. 5er a year, not bad. 

IMG-20200914-WA0001.jpeg