Watches

jack D and coke

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

A lot is down to choice. The lug to lug distance means more in my opinion. I’ve got a couple of dive watches that are 41.5mm that might be considered too big but the lug to lug is around 45mm so they wear smaller, alternatively I’ve got a Hamilton that is smaller but doesn’t wear as well as the lug to lug is around 50mm. On that watch I’d say the larger size as the bezel is quite big so the dial would look quite small on the 38mm. 

The average width + long lug shape is very much the vintage type of diver.  What can make a difference is the shape of the lugs.  I prefer the more classic straight long lug look,  albeit the overall lug length can appear too long on the wrist.  I've just bought a 1970s Royal Navy pattern military milsub diver of this type.  An absolute gem.

By total contrast,  the Seiko 'Tuna can' shape is a large,  shrouded case of about 48mm width but it wears very small due to the stubby,  angled lugs.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tip for the wearing of the longer,  straight long lug diver.  Put it on an elasticated Marine Nationale or heavier weave nylon single pass NATO strap.  The strap passing up from underneath and over the spring bars gives a better appearance than a normal two piece strap or bracelet.

@IronJambo

@Tazio

Thanks very much for your advice and thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to try both and decide, so after reading up on a couple of forums, I think I'll plump for the 38mm. Cheers

Carl Weathers

I quite fancy upgrading my 34mm Oysterdate for a 36mm Datejust. I'd ideally want a Datejust with a quickset date but they are quite expensive and I cant justify the money at the moment. A 1601 with non quickest date can be had for less money but it's not totally what I want. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get the 1601 soonish and then trade up again in a couple years - or just wait until I have more watch money and get the newer model Datejust with quickset date. Guessing it would be a 2 year wait.

Edited by Carl Weathers

39 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I quite fancy upgrading my 34mm Oysterdate for a 36mm Datejust. I'd ideally want a Datejust with a quickset date but they are quite expensive and I cant justify the money at the moment. A 1601 with non quickest date can be had for less money but it's not totally what I want. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get the 1601 soonish and then trade up again in a couple years - or just wait until I have more watch money and get the newer model Datejust with quickset date. Guessing it would be a 2 year wait.

I always say wait,  save and increase the budget if you can.  It always worth the wait to get the first option.  There's a high chance of buyer's remorse by settling for a 2nd option.  

1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

Always buy what you want. It's worth the wait.

I quite fancy a DJ some time in the future as well but I think I'll be waiting at least ten years after buying an explorer last year. 

Carl Weathers

Good advice I think.

An alternative might be a 38mm Omega Aqua terra. I really like the look of them and I'd get a much newer watch for the money. I'd have to sell my Rolex and Longines though... I'll need to have a good think about it. 

8 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Good advice I think.

An alternative might be a 38mm Omega Aqua terra. I really like the look of them and I'd get a much newer watch for the money. I'd have to sell my Rolex and Longines though... I'll need to have a good think about it. 

Personally I think that would be a shame to sacrifice a nice Rolex for the sake of an Aqua Terra,  which imo has nothing of the same cache of even a relatively low value Rolex.  Only you can know.  I would be trying to see if my finances would go to keeping the Oysterdate and buying the DJ.  

Omegas leave me cold and have done for years,  aside from some Speedies and vintage pieces,  especially tuning forks (f300hz) / electronics.  

Edited by Victorian

Carl Weathers

I do have a feeling that I would go onto regret it, even though I rarely wear the Rolex.

I think I'll take the advice here and wait until I can get a DJ. I guess I could always get the 1601 and then trade that out when I can afford a more expensive model. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I do have a feeling that I would go onto regret it, even though I rarely wear the Rolex.

I think I'll take the advice here and wait until I can get a DJ. I guess I could always get the 1601 and then trade that out when I can afford a more expensive model. 

I've had 5 and regret the leaving of all of them.  Submariner (no date 2 liner),  Explorer II,  a DJ,  Air King & Oysterdate.  

Carl Weathers

Did you sell them a while ago? Guessing some of those would have increased quite significantly in value. I'd quite like a sub but they are out of reach now (and I have the BB58, which I love).

2 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Did you sell them a while ago? Guessing some of those would have increased quite significantly in value. I'd quite like a sub but they are out of reach now (and I have the BB58, which I love).

The latest buzzword is ‘influencer’ and it certainly applies in terms of watches with the people who run YouTube channels able to push up the price of a certain model. A good example is Adrian Barker that has the Bark And Jack channel being a huge fan of Explorers. Within a few months of his channel getting lots of subscribers you could barely find one on the UK watch sites and certainly not a cheap one. I don’t for a minute think it was his intention but it happened. The same happened a few years ago when the Milgauss was YouTube’s flavour of the month. 

18 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Didn't have them all at once but when I was flipping watches left,  right and centre I probably sold way too low.  I think the likely replacement values are about double what I sold at.  Also the Cartier Tank Solo XL and Cartier Roadster I had.  

What a set of 7 that would be.

Edited by Victorian

3 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Good advice I think.

I strongly considered an AT as I really like them. I felt the dials had no longevity in them if that makes sense. Very much designed for today and they've went through quite a lot of changes in a relatively short time. They'll see many more changes as well. Pricing also really put me off. Easily found in the grey market with £1k-£1500 discount. Then it's easily down to £2k in a few years time. 

I got a nice Armani watch for Christmas from my mrs it’s a bit loose needing a pin taking out, The only place open who could do it is Timpson has anyone used them for this ? I might just hold off until shops re open and take it into a proper Jewellers . 

Retro,  heritage re-issue.  Decent looking thing with an old school integrated bracelet (don't like 'em) and a hint of a Royal Oak shape case.  Fairly basic Swatch Group quartz movement but very reliable.  £295 is a bit high for it but nice enough.

17 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I got a nice Armani watch for Christmas from my mrs it’s a bit loose needing a pin taking out, The only place open who could do it is Timpson has anyone used them for this ? I might just hold off until shops re open and take it into a proper Jewellers . 

Strap changing and bracelet sizing is very easy with the right basic tools.  You can buy wee sets of bracelet pins,  holding jigs,  toffee hammer and bracelet pin vices on the Internet.  Some bracelets involve more than basic split friction pins.  Some involve side or centre link collars that fit between the friction pin and the link.  A wee bit trickier to get right.

Edited by Victorian

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Retro,  heritage re-issue.  Decent looking thing with an old school integrated bracelet (don't like 'em) and a hint of a Royal Oak shape case.  Fairly basic Swatch Group quartz movement but very reliable.  £295 is a bit high for it but nice enough.

My first thought is you could pick up an automatic Tissot for not far off that price if you don’t mind buying used. I do understand why some people want quartz though 

Just now, Tazio said:

My first thought is you could pick up an automatic Tissot for not far off that price if you don’t mind buying used. I do understand why some people want quartz though 

Yep.  Lots of watch enthusiasts prefer quartz.  A good quartz movement is usually not much cheaper than a good mechanical movement when compared at manufacturer cost.  I'm not sure a modern Tissot has enough marque cache for £295.

£300 will bag you a very good condition,  2nd hand Steinhart with an ETA or Sellita automatic movement.  Steinhart watches are among the best for bang/buck on the used market.

Edited by Victorian

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

£300 will bag you a very good condition,  2nd hand Steinhart with an ETA or Sellita automatic movement.  Steinhart watches are among the best for bang/buck on the used market.

It’s all getting a bit silly now with people going on about in house movements. A good ETA is a fine movement and you won’t have servicing issues in the future (depending how dickish the Swatch Group get of course. I think a lot of people don’t realise what’s inside their Breitling or Tudor. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s all getting a bit silly now with people going on about in house movements. A good ETA is a fine movement and you won’t have servicing issues in the future (depending how dickish the Swatch Group get of course. I think a lot of people don’t realise what’s inside their Breitling or Tudor. 

I think most Tudors have in house movements now, bar a couple of models. It's an ETA in my wife's 1926 though.

Most buying a Breitling won't even think about the movement I wouldn't think.

Edit: I'll be honest, if I'm spending decent money on a watch I want it to have an in house movement. A watch "maker/brand" sticking whatever they can get from ETA/Sellita doesn't really do it for me.

Edited by IronJambo

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Usually a 'tuned' ETA or Sellita.  Sometimes no more than a slightly better component here or there plus a decorated or signed bridge or rotor.  They'll be doing this next with the Seiko NH series workhorse movements.

3 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I think most Tudors have in house movements now, bar a couple of models. It's an ETA in my wife's 1926 though.

Most buying a Breitling won't even think about the movement I wouldn't think.

Yes Tudor seem to have moved over, I actually prefer the look of the ETA with the “smiley” text on it. I just mentioned the Breitling as they used the ETA 2824 for a number of years, albeit decorated and regulated by them. 

Carl Weathers

I have an ETA in my black bay 36 and in-house movement in my black bay 58. To be honest, it makes zero difference to me. I dont know much about the movements, so as long as they are accurate, which they both are, I'm happy. 

That Tissot looks really nice. I'd like to get a Genta style watch at some point. 

• 7 months later...

I have a couple of cheap Ben sherman daily beaters (keep excellent time despite cheapness though).. 

One of them is chromed copper case and leaves green on my wrist due to chrome wearing off (like I said cheap..).. 

Does anyone know of any watch varnish or coating I could apply to stop this? Or even any hacks with household items? 

Bought one of these:

But don't want to risk it at work just yet. Lots of carrying heavy things through narrow door ways so wrists get bumped quite a bit.. 

It was only 75quid, down 50% from 150. Bargain I think! Good for 10BAR or 100m. Loving it. 

Comfy, no noisy tick, second hand lines up perfect with indices and it's an ecodrive for 75quid!

Only gripes are lume on indices fairly rubbish tbh, hands are OK. Also date window a tad small.

As there's blue on the casing if I want to swap out the strap it would need to be predominately blue so as not to look stupid. 

Screenshot_20211006_113533_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by muldoon74
Additional info

27 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I have a couple of cheap Ben sherman daily beaters (keep excellent time despite cheapness though).. 

One of them is chromed copper case and leaves green on my wrist due to chrome wearing off (like I said cheap..).. 

Does anyone know of any watch varnish or coating I could apply to stop this? Or even any hacks with household items? 

Bought one of these:

But don't want to risk it at work just yet. Lots of carrying heavy things through narrow door ways so wrists get bumped quite a bit.. 

It was only 75quid, down 50% from 150. Bargain I think! Good for 10BAR or 100m. Loving it. 

Comfy, no noisy tick, second hand lines up perfect with indices and it's an ecodrive for 75quid!

Only gripes are lume on indices fairly rubbish tbh, hands are OK. Also date window a tad small.

As there's blue on the casing if I want to swap out the strap it would need to be predominately blue so as not to look stupid. 

The ecodrive watches are great value for money, I got one in a great sale in the Citizen Boutique in New York. A light brown strap will work well with that watch as my Citizen is a similar shade of blue and came fitted on a tan coloured leather strap. 

25 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Bought one of these:

I've had the same in black for 8 years. Good watch.  I was wearing it regularly, but haven't worn it since the daughter bought me a smart watch last Christmas. I've just had a look at it and it's kept good time (though the date's lost a week :D ). You're right about the date, I had to squint to see it.  I might get the glass replaced at some time, as it's got a few scratches with me wearing it a lot. The silicone strap's held up well.

26 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The ecodrive watches are great value for money, I got one in a great sale in the Citizen Boutique in New York. A light brown strap will work well with that watch as my Citizen is a similar shade of blue and came fitted on a tan coloured leather strap. 

iu.jpg

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

iu.jpg

Nice colour combination.. 

Looking at NATO style straps for daily use (when my 2 Ben shermans die) & a leather one to swap to for more formal occasions.. 

Don't like bracelets as I like to wear my watches slightly lose and metal irritates my wrist too much for how I like it.. 

1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

Bought one of these:

Done a Google search and it says applying a thin layer of clear nail varnish to the copper surface will stop the green skin stains from the exposed copper. 

I'll give that a go.. 

37 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I've had the same in black for 8 years. Good watch.  I was wearing it regularly, but haven't worn it since the daughter bought me a smart watch last Christmas. I've just had a look at it and it's kept good time (though the date's lost a week :D ). You're right about the date, I had to squint to see it.  I might get the glass replaced at some time, as it's got a few scratches with me wearing it a lot. The silicone strap's held up well.

I'm expecting it to last a good long while.. 

I imagine in black it looks rather nice. If thry had it in black I'd have taken that instead but I think they've discontinued that colour scheme. 

New glass, new leather strap that'll be a great looking watch, maybe even pass it off as new! 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought one of these as a birthday treat. It's coming from Spain so I'm not sure when I'll have it.

I'm stupidly excited for such a simple thing. 

A100WEGG-1AVT_large.png

• 3 months later...
Bungalow Bill

Just sold my 2011 Seamaster Chronograph 300m on Chrono24, and bought myself a Omega Planet Ocean (2020). 

Pretty impressed with the buying and selling process, was hassle free for me. Love my new watch. 

• 1 month later...
Салатные палочки

Thinking of a Tissot Seaster 1000 for my 40th. Not had a watch for years and quite looking forward to having one again. 

Japan Jambo
On 03/01/2021 at 12:11, IronJambo said:

You think you'll ever get one? I'd really a 38mm GP Laureato one day but it'll need to be at least ten years away after buying an Explorer last year.

Edit: finally managed to add pics.

Usually attracted to darker colours but really like the white/silver

maxresdefault.jpg

Girard-Perregaux-Laureato-Watch--e1529574843673.jpg

you might like this...

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/vacheronconstantin/vacheron-constantin-overseas--id22976935.htm

24 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I reckon they'll be on Ebay for double the price by Saturday morning.

At the very least. Surprisingly the online watch critics and video makers seem to be quite positive about them. So my feeling is that instead of getting people into Omega watches most will be bought by people who already own the brand. 

Edited by Tazio

Japan Jambo
12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

At the very least. Surprisingly the online watch critics and video makers seem to be quite positive about them. So my feeling is that instead of getting people into Omega watches most will be bought by people who already own the brand. 

Just told the Mrs - she'll be queuing in the am - bit of a bargain imo.

39 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Just told the Mrs - she'll be queuing in the am - bit of a bargain imo.

They're expecting big queues and are opening earlier than normal. Opening from 9 tomorrow. 2 purchases max per customer.

Carl Weathers
47 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

They're expecting big queues and are opening earlier than normal. Opening from 9 tomorrow. 2 purchases max per customer.

Cheers. I'm going to pop up but unsure what time to go. 

I've read that these will be made available online in the future, so hopefully that puts the scalpers off. 

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

many thanks for the heads up!

18 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

That's very nice but not quite my style and too big for my tastes these days.

I'm more likely to buy a chronograph version but it requires a fair bit to come off in my favour. It's somewhere in a list of about ten others that I'd be looking for 😂

Girard-Perregaux-Laureato-Chronograph-1.jpg

5 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I reckon they'll be on Ebay for double the price by Saturday morning.

They've been on eBay for silly money since yesterday. One for £15k+

I don't like them, the moonwatch thing irritates the shite out of me.