Jump to content

Watches


jack D and coke

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Victorian

    255

  • Sten Guns

    188

  • cosanostra

    154

  • Captain_Peacock

    142

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IronJambo

Anyone any idea the legal position of ownership in the following scenario.

 

Someone pays the full cost of a watch upfront from a jeweller which will then be held in a vault until it can be handed over after lockdown. Let's say the jeweller goes bust and the company gets liquidated. 

 

I'm of the mind that even if this watch was allocated and the purchaser has a receipt with the serial number that it being on the jewellers property means that any liquidator would just treat it like any other stock. Therefore, the purchaser would lose out.

 

Any thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sooperstar
25 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Anyone any idea the legal position of ownership in the following scenario.

 

Someone pays the full cost of a watch upfront from a jeweller which will then be held in a vault until it can be handed over after lockdown. Let's say the jeweller goes bust and the company gets liquidated. 

 

I'm of the mind that even if this watch was allocated and the purchaser has a receipt with the serial number that it being on the jewellers property means that any liquidator would just treat it like any other stock. Therefore, the purchaser would lose out.

 

Any thoughts?

I would say it belongs to the person who has paid for it. Can't see why lack of collection should matter. Same as if you had handed a watch in for a service or repair etc. It's still your watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
annushorribilis III
27 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Anyone any idea the legal position of ownership in the following scenario.

 

Someone pays the full cost of a watch upfront from a jeweller which will then be held in a vault until it can be handed over after lockdown. Let's say the jeweller goes bust and the company gets liquidated. 

 

I'm of the mind that even if this watch was allocated and the purchaser has a receipt with the serial number that it being on the jewellers property means that any liquidator would just treat it like any other stock. Therefore, the purchaser would lose out.

 

Any thoughts?

Seller has entered into a contract with the buyer .

Buyer has made the payment and can prove it, presumably. 

The goods are no longer in the ownership of the seller, the seller is simply acting as guardian on behalf of the purchaser. 

 

How I see it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Seller has entered into a contract with the buyer .

Buyer has made the payment and can prove it, presumably. 

The goods are no longer in the ownership of the seller, the seller is simply acting as guardian on behalf of the purchaser. 

 

How I see it. 

There have quite a few stories like this on other forums. Watches Of Switzerland in particular have been getting in touch with people offering them steel Rolex sports watches with this deal. Seems a bit odd to me knowing that these are on big waiting lists. Possibly people have asked to be taken off the waiting lists due to financial worries and they have a surplus now, or as many people suspect the whole waiting list thing is a marketing exercise to keep the demand for them high and increase their attractiveness to buyers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered a Tudor watch start of February,lead time was 16/20 weeks. Anybody know if watches were being made by Tudor in this time or have they been locked down?

 

Can't find info anywhere.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather annoyingly I was winning an eBay auction for a nice vintage dress watch and now with less than 24 hours to go the seller has cancelled my bid and withdrawn the item, only to re-list it again, presumably realising he wasn’t going to get a price he wanted for it. If he was that concerned he should have put a realistic reserve price on it. 
Arsehole. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sinks said:

Ordered a Tudor watch start of February,lead time was 16/20 weeks. Anybody know if watches were being made by Tudor in this time or have they been locked down?

 

Can't find info anywhere.

 

I’m not sure about Tudor but Rolex stopped manufacturing in the middle of March and have now closed down manufacturing until the end of the year I think I read. Tudor are the same I’d imagine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z
11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Rather annoyingly I was winning an eBay auction for a nice vintage dress watch and now with less than 24 hours to go the seller has cancelled my bid and withdrawn the item, only to re-list it again, presumably realising he wasn’t going to get a price he wanted for it. If he was that concerned he should have put a realistic reserve price on it. 
Arsehole. 

 

It may yet be possible to report behaviour like this to eBay . . . I would if I were you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There have quite a few stories like this on other forums. Watches Of Switzerland in particular have been getting in touch with people offering them steel Rolex sports watches with this deal. Seems a bit odd to me knowing that these are on big waiting lists. Possibly people have asked to be taken off the waiting lists due to financial worries and they have a surplus now, or as many people suspect the whole waiting list thing is a marketing exercise to keep the demand for them high and increase their attractiveness to buyers. 

Yep, it was the manager of my local Goldsmiths (part of WOS) that have called offering me an Explorer. 

I was on a "list"with me myself and I with them (or so I was transparently told when I registered my interest).

I think many will pass for the time being. The guy was decent on the phone and we had a general chit chat about waiting lists. He told me he hadn't been at the store long but was appalled at first when he heard some of his staff telling people it was a 2 year wait for a Submariner when it was nothing of the sort. Reckons he's stopped such nonsense.

 

I told him I'll take it but I'll be honest and say I'm currently undecided. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

 

It may yet be possible to report behaviour like this to eBay . . . I would if I were you.

The re-listing has vanished as well. I presume someone got in touch with the seller and made him an offer substantially bigger than the auction would have yielded. I’m not bothered enough to make a complaint and only knew of the bid cancellation as I got an email from eBay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure about Tudor but Rolex stopped manufacturing in the middle of March and have now closed down manufacturing until the end of the year I think I read. Tudor are the same I’d imagine. 

Thanks  for reply and info...was for my sons 40th,thought I had plenty time,maybe  not

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
IronJambo
Posted (edited)

After extensive research in different areas, ranging from where the stocks came from to section 75 cover should they go bust I took the plunge on the Explorer I was offered.

 

Whilst indirect, managing an otherwise unattainable 6% discount (through AMEX) was the final push I needed. Time for coronavirus to piss off so I can collect my watch.

Edited by IronJambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricardo Shillyshally

Anyone have any views on Tufina Watches?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z
2 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Anyone have any views on Tufina Watches?

 

I have a completely uninformed view, just looking at photos on the internet: To my eye they look like the watch equivalent of turning your TV set to a channel with only static on it. Holy moly there is so much going on and it just sets my brain off as if it's all completely random white noise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
2 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Anyone have any views on Tufina Watches?

 

Just a quick bit of digging seems to suggest these are not premium quality.    Most likely Chinese movements or components.    A bit of chat suggesting their 'made in Germany' claim is a bit shaky.   Some of the full price values on their site are :rofl:with 75% discounts.    The discount prices look too high themselves.    I would avoid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricardo Shillyshally
Just now, Victorian said:

 

Just a quick bit of digging seems to suggest these are not premium quality.    Most likely Chinese movements or components.    A bit of chat suggesting their 'made in Germany' claim is a bit shaky.   Some of the full price values on their site are :rofl:with 75% discounts.    The discount prices look too high themselves.    I would avoid.

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
20 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

 

I have a completely uninformed view, just looking at photos on the internet: To my eye they look like the watch equivalent of turning your TV set to a channel with only static on it. Holy moly there is so much going on and it just sets my brain off as if it's all completely random white noise.

 

 

theorema-sao-paolo-made-in-germany-mechanical-silver-white-bracelet-watch_c32db350-44a2-4b08-b9b0-9b10f032b034_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.07f0382e888e28a8d73edfcdcddaa8a9.jpg

 

😂

 

 

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

Just a quick bit of digging seems to suggest these are not premium quality.    Most likely Chinese movements or components.    A bit of chat suggesting their 'made in Germany' claim is a bit shaky.   Some of the full price values on their site are :rofl:with 75% discounts.    The discount prices look too high themselves.    I would avoid.

 

 

Are we perhaps forgetting to add the code STAYHOME for an extra 15% off?

 

Ker-chiiiing

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
hueyview

Put a gold watch, can't remember the brand.. not Rolex or top name but looks great into Cash generator, Newington to get cash in late February...  Shop still closed since March...  Having to continually check if opening to avoid losing it...

Never again.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
7 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Anyone have any experience with Two Stitch Straps? 

 

Got incoming on Monday and I think this would be an awesome match https://www.twostitchstraps.com/collections/all/products/two-stitch-coal-leather-watch-strap

 

 

 

 

They look ok but the best ever hand made straps I've seen are from Pavel of Neptune Straps (formerly PavStraps).    His best ones are square edged,   unbacked straps,   usually some other wordly soft horween or cordovan leather.    If he's still on the go then I would look no further.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

They look ok but the best ever hand made straps I've seen are from Pavel of Neptune Straps (formerly PavStraps).    His best ones are square edged,   unbacked straps,   usually some other wordly soft horween or cordovan leather.    If he's still on the go then I would look no further.

I know of him, doesn't really do what I'm after for this. I'm needing soft, mould to your wrist leather (I'm sure Pavel would have that part covered), but distressed and preferably not quite black. It needs to look completely unloved, like it's owner has seen the bottom of too many bottles of Jack and woken up in more than a few doorways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
3 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I know of him, doesn't really do what I'm after for this. I'm needing soft, mould to your wrist leather (I'm sure Pavel would have that part covered), but distressed and preferably not quite black. It needs to look completely unloved, like it's owner has seen the bottom of too many bottles of Jack and woken up in more than a few doorways.

 

He'll probably do a bespoke job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

He'll probably do a bespoke job.

I might explore it 👍. I've got plenty time as I'll probably keep it on the bravely l bracelet for a bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
muldoon74

First up either a Seiko 5, Seiko skx007 (second hand probably) and then this to put on it..

 

(incidentally, if I could afford a Tudor Black Bay GMT to pair with this strap,... set for life wrist wise... )

 

 

marine-nationale-nato-by-bg-wbg_1.jpg

Edited by muldoon74
Link to post
Share on other sites
muldoon74
16 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

First up either a Seiko 5, Seiko skx007 (second hand probably) and then this to put on it..

 

(incidentally, if I could afford a Tudor Black Bay GMT to pair with this strap,... set for life wrist wise... )

 

 

marine-nationale-nato-by-bg-wbg_1.jpg

 

 

Without a word of a lie... just looked at the zuludiver website and found the strap above..

 

Then said in post about pairing it with a Tudor black bay..

 

well scrolled further down zuludiver website and saw this, OK, maybe not a gmt (might be actually I'm not that much of an aficionado..) but.. how sexy??!!!!

red_tudor_black_bay_on_red_marine_nationale_nato.jpg

Edited by muldoon74
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a real pisser that the predicted rise of prices for the SKX seems to be happening. In terms of alternatives the dark red Orient Kamasu would look super smart with that strap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
muldoon74
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s a real pisser that the predicted rise of prices for the SKX seems to be happening. In terms of alternatives the dark red Orient Kamasu would look super smart with that strap. 

As Ive said I'm by no means an aficionado or expert, not even really an enthusiastic amateur but.. I love just looking at watches and seeing the mechanical genius in the designs etc.. 

 

I've been watching a lot of Hodinkee videos and the amount of knowledge out there on specific watches and the desire for certain types astounds me. 

 

I saw on most recent Hodinkee video about new Seiko 5 series how it is basically the aesthetics of the SKX007 series but doesn't have the functionality (ie not a true divers watch..) ..

 

Seiko are trying to blend aesthetics of SKX with performance standards and cost of old 5... 

 

SKX seem to be in the sacred threshold of watches.. I am going now to google Orient Kamasu in red.. Read some very good reviews on Orient.. Maybe an alternative to Seiko SKX after all... ... ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a blue Kamasu and it’s a nice watch, and way ahead of the SKX in everyday practicality, hacking movement and sapphire crystal. The red one is like a reverse colour wise of the Tudor you posted, very dark red dial and black bezel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone have a view on a Hamilton American Classic Collection Jazz Master Face 2 Face?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Anyone have a view on a Hamilton American Classic Collection Jazz Master Face 2 Face?

Ridiculously big and ugly as sin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before
23 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Anyone have a view on a Hamilton American Classic Collection Jazz Master Face 2 Face?

 

Ive got a Hamilton watch but thankfully not that one.

 

Thats brutal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

Anyone have a view on a Hamilton American Classic Collection Jazz Master Face 2 Face?

I'd never have one but I quite like it, it's way too big (and pricey for a hammy). I can only think that they've tried to make their own mental version of a JLC Reverso just to show that they could. I love Hamilton as a brand but I never wear mine anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
IronJambo
On 20/07/2020 at 00:26, Carl Weathers said:

Picked this up on sale. 

 

20200720-002319.jpg

Very nice. 36 or 41?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
38 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Very nice. 36 or 41?

How much was that, asking for a friend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
26 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

How much was that, asking for a friend.

@Carl Weathers

 

I'm also guessing it a 41 since the 36 is very popular and I don't think it with reach a sale?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

@Carl Weathers

 

I'm also guessing it a 41 since the 36 is very popular and I don't think it with reach a sale?

cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers

Cheers. It's a 36 on leather. 25% off.

 

I had to request a larger leather strap from Tudor as the one that came with the watch is really small (my wrists are on the small side as well). Hopefully will arrive soon.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
been here before

Im always put off Tudors because of the minute hand. God knows what the square bits about. It ruins so many good looking, simple, clean watches.

Edited by been here before
Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers

I really like the snow flake hand on the Black Bay watches. I dont think it works on their Chronos.

Edited by Carl Weathers
Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
6 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I really like the snow flake hand on the Black Bay watches. I dont think it works on their Chronos.

I tried my best to want one but for some reason I don't get on with round indices. I really wanted an Explorer in truth and something similar wouldn't have cut it long term either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Weathers

I really like the explorer as well but I'm a big fan of the Tudor. Two great watches though. 

 

I'd struggle to justify the cost difference for a Rolex at the moment - maybe in future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
AngleParkMenace

I bought the other half a nice constellation for her birthday. Got a decent deal on a preowned one from japan. Arrived and  happy with it however It is a little tight.  She wants to keep the strap, where’s the best place to buy new links? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
19 hours ago, been here before said:

Im always put off Tudors because of the minute hand. God knows what the square bits about. It ruins so many good looking, simple, clean watches.

Yes , that puts me off as well,  too expensive for me tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
muldoon74

I know there has been some discussion on here regarding Creation Watches (Singaporean web-shop) but tbh can't be arsed to trawl through 40+ pages to find the lowdown (I'm quite lazy at times..)

 

Seen an Orient Mako 3, with the correct black dial and red/maroon bezel for £137. Best I've seen on Amazon is £187 for the same. 

 

I'll switch out the rubber strap for a Nato, colour/design to be determined (although I posted some lovely ones earlier in the thread..) 

 

My question is: Are Creation Watches a reliable website? Am I highly likely to receive the real deal or are they very good fakes? 

 

Thanks in advance for ignoring my laziness, I'm very bust seething about our Clubs treatment these last few months.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
IronJambo
34 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I know there has been some discussion on here regarding Creation Watches (Singaporean web-shop) but tbh can't be arsed to trawl through 40+ pages to find the lowdown (I'm quite lazy at times..)

 

Seen an Orient Mako 3, with the correct black dial and red/maroon bezel for £137. Best I've seen on Amazon is £187 for the same. 

 

I'll switch out the rubber strap for a Nato, colour/design to be determined (although I posted some lovely ones earlier in the thread..) 

 

My question is: Are Creation Watches a reliable website? Am I highly likely to receive the real deal or are they very good fakes? 

 

Thanks in advance for ignoring my laziness, I'm very bust seething about our Clubs treatment these last few months.. 

I've no experience of them but from what I've read I believe they supply bonafide goods but some have been burnt by a shady returns system. 

I'd have the view that I could be hit for 20% import tax (?) which would bring your £137 up to £164.40. Add on delivery time and possible added stress and I reckon the mark up at Amazon for £187 and peace of mind isn't so bad.

 

I reckon if the £22.60 saving was that important to me then I don't think I could afford that watch right now.

Edited by IronJambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
muldoon74
8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I've no experience of them but from what I've read I believe they supply bonafide goods but some have been burnt by a shady returns system. 

I'd have the view that I could be hit for 20% import tax (?) which would bring your £137 up to £164.40. Add on delivery time and possible added stress and I reckon the mark up at Amazon for £187 and peace of mind isn't so bad.

 

I reckon if the £22.60 saving was that important to me then I don't think I could afford that watch right now.

Ive also read on trustpilot no import tax for UK and free DHL delivery.. 

 

Its a minefield buying shite these days!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Popular Now

    • Fluorescent Adolescent
      17
    • The Roller
      348
    • best in the land
      740
×
×
  • Create New...