Watches

jack D and coke

5 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Cheers mate. 

I'll give them a call next week. Only really after a Moon or Mercury.

I'd possibly add Jupiter into that too but will have to see them in person.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl Weathers
On 01/04/2022 at 12:46, Sooperstar said:

I'd possibly add Jupiter into that too but will have to see them in person.

No moonswatch stock today. The manager says he expects more next week but it won't be Monday. The last restock sold out quickly. 

I'm starting to lose interest. Can't be arsed going up on the off chance.

4 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

No moonswatch stock today. The manager says he expects more next week but it won't be Monday. The last restock sold out quickly. 

I'm starting to lose interest. Can't be arsed going up on the off chance.

Just leave it til they're readily available. Then look at them, decide they are cheap shit, and save £207.

On 22/08/2014 at 16:43, Randle P McMurphy said:

I was left the watch pictured when my Dad passed on earlier this year, it's a 1970s Tissot Seastar. The style is not for me however as you will appreciate it has a sentimental appeal and I don't want to sell it.

My questions are:

Can the watch be customised to add a bezel?

The watch is fairly small and it looks ridiculous on my wrist, Is there a way to make the watch larger I.e can you build a frame around it? I know this is shit terminology but hopefully someone will understand.

If either or both of the above are possible, are there any recommendations of who can do it?

The watch also needs a good service, clean and probably the glass replaced.

I know this may be an expensive project however I have been considering buying a quality watch and this may be a decent start whilst also keeping a good memory of my Dad.

post-5956-14087221568703_thumb.jpg

Started re-reading this thread from beginning a couple of days ago.. on page 18 now.

Sincerely hope this poster didn't do a single thing to this watch apart from get it serviced.

I think it's an absolute cracker the way it is. Or was..

Any update RPM?

4 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Started re-reading this thread from beginning a couple of days ago.. on page 18 now.

Sincerely hope this poster didn't do a single thing to this watch apart from get it serviced.

Any update RPM?

Good question.  It was a nice looking watch, though I think RPM was put off by its small size.

I sometimes window-shop and pretend I'm gonna buy a Patek Philippe Calatrava from 50 or 60 years ago.  Many of the ones that catch my eye are similar in general style to that Tissot. 

This is the current 5227 in rose gold (also available in yellow gold). Dunno how much in the UK, but going for around €33,000 here.

5227R_001_1.jpg

Or these two from the early 1960s.

18419383-yygx84e8wcf2k5b6baap83kl-ExtraL

22768239-g41yrkwc7fg15vd5lw92a37z-ExtraL

Randle P McMurphy
On 07/04/2022 at 22:08, muldoon74 said:

Any update RPM?

Hi mate, jeez that is a walk down memory lane. Still miss my old man a lot but I get to look at his clone every morning in the mirror, ME!

You'll be pleased to know all I did was have it serviced and add a thicker strap. Still on the small side for me but I have worn it on occasion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Currently in Las Vegas and went in to Swatch to see if they had the Omega watches in stock,they only had one,the yellow Mission to the sun. The young lad got it and showed me it,I said I need to put my glasses on to get a better look and went to hold the box and he pulled it away and said I wasn't allowed to touch it. I said your having a laugh pal but he was serious and told me that i could only ever buy one of these watches. I just said thanks and walked out the shop.

• 2 months later...

Watching loads of videos on youtube about watches, has anyone got experience of Aliexpress? 

Are they genuine pieces getting sold or should I be wary (always wary tbh but should I be extra wary?)

hughesie27
7 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Watching loads of videos on youtube about watches, has anyone got experience of Aliexpress? 

Are they genuine pieces getting sold or should I be wary (always wary tbh but should I be extra wary?)

Ali ****ing express. You should watch some Youtube videos on that!

Edited by hughesie27

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Not the most trustworthy then? 

27 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

quick search on trustpilot and I think I'll give them a miss..

I'll stick to Amazon...

43 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Bought the Xeric NASA nice watch 

Googled it to see what it looks like..

Weird looking thing but nicely quirky!

Makes sense in the dark I would think with the lime showing the depth/3d effect of the numerals and actual face part in the centre..

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

Googled it to see what it looks like..

Weird looking thing but nicely quirky!

Makes sense in the dark I would think with the lime showing the depth/3d effect of the numerals and actual face part in the centre..

Aye it's a nice watch. Cost me ABIT but part of the collection (where's that smug smiley)

Wanting a new beater watch....

Like my ciyizen too much to bash it against van/truck walls etc...

So.. Good people of jkb watch thread..

I have UP to £100 spare...

Casio Duro or Original style GShock? 

Or indeed, any other suggestions... ;)

11 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Wanting a new beater watch....

Like my ciyizen too much to bash it against van/truck walls etc...

So.. Good people of jkb watch thread..

I have UP to £100 spare...

Casio Duro or Original style GShock? 

Or indeed, any other suggestions... ;)

Casio f91w and spend the rest on beer.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Good answer. Though if he wants to spend more a proper G Shock is pretty indestructible.

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Good answer. Though if he wants to spend more a proper G Shock is pretty indestructible.

Spend 70 on beer and save 20 for two replacements 😂

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/07/2022 at 09:37, Taffin said:

Spend 70 on beer and save 20 for two replacements 😂

Ended up getting a nice wee analogue Casio with a lovely maroon face, off of Amazon for 27 quid. Delivered in 7 days from San Bernardino California. It's a bit small (initially but I'm getting used to it now)..

I've spent more on beer than the recommended 70..  🍻

Also got the wife a cheap wee Elvis one for 14. Only problem with it is I set it to correct time but it loses and hour in just a few hours, then stays an hour behind.. 

I realise it's probably a very cheap Chinese movement but it's weird how it stays an hour behind and doesn't lose anymore time. 

I'll try setting it two hours ahead, try and trick it . 😂😂🤔

2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Ended up getting a nice wee analogue Casio with a lovely maroon face, off of Amazon for 27 quid. Delivered in 7 days from San Bernardino California. It's a bit small (initially but I'm getting used to it now)..

I've spent more on beer than the recommended 70..  🍻

Also got the wife a cheap wee Elvis one for 14. Only problem with it is I set it to correct time but it loses and hour in just a few hours, then stays an hour behind.. 

I realise it's probably a very cheap Chinese movement but it's weird how it stays an hour behind and doesn't lose anymore time. 

Odd about the timing on the one being an hour behind!

Nice on though, on both the watches and the beer 😂

been here before
2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Probably got all shook up whilst being delivered. Might be an idea to return to sender for a replacement.

Greedy Jambo

I've got an Armani watch that has barely been worn, open to offers. 

I don't wear watches. It's pretty nice like, I chose it myself, Ha. 

I've tried to upload a pic in the lowest possible camera quality, and it still won't let me. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2022 at 19:31, Taffin said:

Odd about the timing on the one being an hour behind!

Nice on though, on both the watches and the beer 😂

I think the movement in the elvis watch is a bit shit.

I can set it to correct time and it will keep it as long as it's not worn. After a few hours wear it loses time.

I changed the battery but it has made no difference. 

With this in mind, does anyone know where I can get a new movement fitted for not a lot of money?

The whole thing cost £14 so I'm willing to double up on that for a reasonably reliable after-market movement and fitting as my wife will wear it loads if it works right! 

This is the casio I bought as a daily work beater..;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CASIO-MW600F-4AV-Black-Sport-Watch/dp/B004AOHQX6/ref=asc_df_B004AOHQX6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=214002951353&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12122626256459218018&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007366&hvtargid=pla-373240285861&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

A bit small when first worn but don't notice that now and feel it wears well. Decently made aswell as in my job I carry lots of things through narrow doorways, in and out of truck cargo bays etc and have already bashed it a few times. No damage at all to face/"crystal".. 

Casio do work watches right. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just ordered a Citizen Promaster dive watch. I’ve fancied one for a while and a good alternative to the Seiko SKX as the price on those has gone bonkers on the used market. You can pick them up on Amazon just now for around £160+ which an absolute steal for an automatic ISO certified divers watch. I’ve bought it on the rubber strap that will be getting chucked away and swapped out instantly as would the steel bracelet which is a dog by all accounts. An interesting looking watch with the crown at the 8pm position. 

Edited by Tazio

17 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just ordered a Citizen Promaster dive watch. I’ve fancied one for a while and a good alternative to the Seiko SKX as the price on those has gone bonkers on the used market. You can pick them up on Amazon just now for around £160+ which an absolute steal for an automatic ISO certified divers watch. I’ve bought it on the rubber strap that will be getting chucked away and swapped out instantly as would the steel bracelet which is a dog by all accounts. An interesting looking watch with the crown at the 8pm position. 

Is it this type?

Screenshot_20220902-184834.png

On 11/07/2022 at 03:20, Taffin said:

The preferred watch for Taliban and al Qaeda bombmakers apparently. 

Psychedelicropcircle
On 23/10/2013 at 19:46, Psychedelicropcircle said:

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u408/psychedelicropcircle/null_zpse0db2cf0.jpg

I've always fancied a cartier tank watch always considered them an elegant. Seen this one in a man mag thought how smart is this........only ?36k

For being born many many years ago my mrs bought me a tank (not this one). Chuffed😃

44 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

The preferred watch for Taliban and al Qaeda bombmakers apparently. 

And my first ever digital watch back in 1984. ( Or at least its original incarnation which I don't think has changed much over the years).

Well it’s arrived and everything I’d hoped for. Has the hacking movement which I didn’t expect and doesn’t have the tacky strap with the decompression times. Also feels built like a tank and much better quality of construction than the SKX I used to have. I like Seiko but they tend to have quality control issues on the cheaper models but none of that with this. Everything properly aligned and tight feeling. Only a 60 click bezel but that ok as it is bang on position wise and feels good. 
You’ll struggle to find something that is as good for the price if you want a dive watch, and as I said this one is a real ISO standard diver. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know anything about Lombard watches?

My Dad got one as a dress watch for mess functions when we lived in Canada late 70's. 

My Mum says it still works, it also happens to be the sort of thing I'm looking for as a dress watch (gold case, brown alligator style leather strap, cream dial, very thin..)

Only thing is it might be a bit small for my wrist, watches in the late 70's were a bit on the smaller side.

From memory it actually looks a fair bit like the Pateks that were posted above...

Edited by muldoon74
Additional info

• 1 year later...
Victorian
14 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

New launch from Grand Seiko, how does it look?

SBGH345G-1.png

Great.

By a coincidence,  I've recently bought a Grand Seiko quartz.  SBGX009.  Ivory dial.

This one (stock photo).

image.thumb.png.f9ec8525beb8b208c6a0737806e87443.png

It has an accuracy spec of +/- 10 seconds per YEAR.  I've had it for about a week and it hasn't deviated a bit from the atomic clock.  Lovely twin pulse second hand action that never misses a single second track index.  

Victorian

People were discussing MoonSwatch before.  The heat has come out of the used market a bit.  But there are lots of wrong 'uns around as well.  

Swatch Group has done another collab with one of their other high end marques.  Blancpain.  They look a bit shit tbh.  

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Great.

By a coincidence,  I've recently bought a Grand Seiko quartz.  SBGX009.  Ivory dial.

This one (stock photo).

It has an accuracy spec of +/- 10 seconds per YEAR.  I've had it for about a week and it hasn't deviated a bit from the atomic clock.  Lovely twin pulse second hand action that never misses a single second track index.  

Very much doubt that you'll regret it - I have a 3 day and a 5 day spring drive, much better watches than my datejust.

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

People were discussing MoonSwatch before.  The heat has come out of the used market a bit.  But there are lots of wrong 'uns around as well.  

Swatch Group has done another collab with one of their other high end marques.  Blancpain.  They look a bit shit tbh.  

do like the original 50 fathoms it's based on though mind!

Victorian
Just now, Japan Jambo said:

Very much doubt that you'll regret it - I have a 3 day and a 5 day spring drive, much better watches than my datejust.

Tremendous.  Always fancied a GS but opted for an older quartz.  It's the only watch I have set on time.  Everything else is set a minute or two ahead.  But if you're going to have almost the most accurate movement (9F61) you can get,  you kinda have to set it exactly on time. 

A bit jealous of your Spring Drives,  I must say. 

Victorian
6 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

do like the original 50 fathoms it's based on though mind!

There's lots of Blancpain Fifty Fathoms homages around.  I think the best one is the Helson Skindiver.  

mrmarkus1981_1

I got given a Tag Heuer Connected (Calibre E4) the other week.

Had it on for 2 days then stuck it back in its box, utter dugmeat. Hoping Beaverbrooks or the like will take it off my hands. Cant believe something so expensive can have such a crap battery in it, Frightening !

TAG-Heuer-45mm-Connected-Calibre-E4-Sports-Smartwatch-SBR8A10.jfif

Carl Weathers
7 hours ago, Victorian said:

Great.

This one (stock photo).

Very nice!