Time for Ridgers

Zachearts

:jjyay:

Jamie is no Niemi, Cruickshank. Gordon or even Kello or Smith...but he's no Dunlop ( still makes me wince ), Garland, Allan or Nelson. I'd like a better keeper but I'd also like a better striker, winger...blah, blah, blah.l

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamie is no Niemi, Cruickshank. Gordon or even Kello or Smith...but he's no Dunlop ( still makes me wince ), Garland, Allan or Nelson. I'd like a better keeper but I'd also like a better striker, winger...blah, blah, blah.l

I like a Mitchell bite Dave :lol:

Why the Jamie hate, OP? Seems like a good egg to me.

Best Hearts keeper ever? No. Worst? No!

Key player in a Scottish Cup winning side? Aye....

Gie him a break eh!?

(wasn't at the game today, if he screwed up I take all the above back, Jamie's SHITE!!! :10900:)

Just watch the highlights, pretty dreadful goalkeeping for the goal. Looked like a reasonably tame shot.

Snake Plissken

So we're going to ignore the excellent save he made earlier in the game, aye?

Jamie's a perfectly decent SPL 'keeper, we've had better and will most likely have better again in the future but he's miles and miles away from the worst we've had.

If Billy King had picked out a better pass we'd have taken three points - I'm not saying that to slate the young lad, I'm just making the point that it's churlish to point the finger at one player making a mistake and ignoring the other.

Gregory House M.D.

Points lost today and not for the first time at the hands of Jamie, granted he has had his games were it's made a difference but his mistakes outweigh the good parts for me. Mark Ridgers is back fit and for me is the better keeper, more presence, better kicker of the ball and better shotstopper. Today's second Ross County goal was the final straw for me, poor attempt from Jamie.

Yeah, him parrying a few shots definitely outweighs him basically keeping the club alive by performing heroically in two cup semi's.

Lynching is too good IMO.

Craig Herbertson

I always hated when bobby seith picked him over Jim Cruickshank, I was glad when seith got banjo'd. Cruicky rightfully was back between the sticks, to the annoucer's voice, "number one and goalkeeper,Cruickshank" and yes you are right, Judy was rank!!

I had that same sinking feeliing. Couldn't see past Cruikshank so might have judged him unfairly.

Craig Herbertson

I always hated when bobby seith picked him over Jim Cruickshank, I was glad when seith got banjo'd. Cruicky rightfully was back between the sticks, to the annoucer's voice, "number one and goalkeeper,Cruickshank" and yes you are right, Judy was rank!!

I had that same sinking feeliing. Couldn't see past Cruikshank so might have judged him unfairly.

Jamie would get a game for most SPL clubs but he does't install that much confidence in me at all. We've always had special keepers.

Fine. I apologise for my choice of words.

He's a very good keeper, especially in our league.

He's probably the second best keeper in the league.

I'm no big fan of Jamie's but for **** sake, the guys been fantastic this season & pulled us out the shitter a few times this season. Yes, it was a bad blunder by him which cost us 2 points yesterday but I think you will find he has saved us more than two points this season.

:lol:

Jamie's an excellent keeper.

He is average at best and has improved but still way short of the standard we are used to.

People will blame Jamie for the goal yesterday but he did make some excellent saves earlier in the game!

I blame the pointless substitutions of taking Tappin and Holt off and replacing them with Barr and McGowan who haven't played for 2 or 3 games! That invited Ross County onto us where as I feel the kids would have seen the game out.

While I commend John McGlynn for playing all the youngsters his tactics are questionable! Against Dundee he got lucky as there was a need for substitutions about 20 mins before he made them.

Having a discussion with my m8 at the semi and he said he can see Jamie being at hearts his whole career. Not good enough for a higher standard but a decent enough spl keeper.

Couldn't agree with that more

What an atrocious thread :lol:

The guy made 2 or 3 outstanding saves not 8 days ago to put us in a national final and has been solid all season. Not seen the goal but even if he has made a meal of the shot, it happens when you've not got a Niemi or Gordon. Just because we've been spoiled for keepers doesn't mean he hasn't earned the number one jersey at Hearts over the last 12 months. Deal with it.

All i suggested was that Ridgers is given a chance, some people on here have went a wee bit ott. Its a forum were fans can discuss things and put points over about the team that we all supoort. Thats all that was done here, a suggestion.....i just dont feel overly conident watching him, never have been to be honest.....heart in your mouth stuff when he recieves a pass back.

From what Ridgers has produced in his limited first team appearances, he still has a lot to learn before he becomes our number one. I don't doubt that he will, he is a talented boy, but to bin a dependable keeper for one mistake is ridiculous chat I'm afraid.

i agree never felt confident in jamie but dont know if ridgers is ready to be first choice, but jamie's handling and persistent palming the ball does cause concern

He was as fault for the goal as the shot pretty much dribbled to him he could of easily picked the bloody thing up. You could also equally blame king for giving the ball away instead of just punting it up the park if had done that we would have been sitting with 3 points in the bag.

Connor-The-Jambo
Points lost today and not for the first time at the hands of Jamie, granted he has had his games were it's made a difference but his mistakes outweigh the good parts for me. Mark Ridgers is back fit and for me is the better keeper, more presence, better kicker of the ball and better shotstopper. Today's second Ross County goal was the final straw for me, poor attempt from Jamie.

Sorry how many hearts games you been to? Jamie kept us in the league cup and got us to the final and how many times has ridgers played. Wow some people just talk from there bum. No one slagged encalman for his slip up at celtic

alwaysthereinspirit

In all honesty what makes you think Ridgers is the same level as or better than McDonald.

I think MacDonald has improved this season and is capable of making great saves.

His Achilles heel is the type of goal he lost yesterday. This has happened on a few occasions when he should have palmed it away sideways, but surely our Goalkeeping coach (not sure if we have one) should be working with him on this.

Sorry how many hearts games you been to? Jamie kept us in the league cup and got us to the final and how many times has ridgers played. Wow some people just talk from there bum. No one slagged encalman for his slip up at celtic

How many games have i been to ? Been watching Hearts since 83/84 season, been a season ticket holder for a long long time and also a shareholder.....i feel that this entitles me to an opinion and for me Macdonalds average at best. Your entitled to your opinion without me rubbishing it......isn't that what this forums for ?

For me, Jamie is a strange one. He has been superb in some big games for us, noteably the Celtic/Inverness games. In other less important games however, always feel at any point a mistake is coming. For me a decent keeper, who is error prone. Would rather we had someone more reliable, but that is where we are these days.

He's probably the second best keeper in the league.

Exactly. Which is why I'd ask the question about Cammy Bell & Craig Samson being called up to the Scotland squad when MacDonald is better imo.

HeartsForever

Jamie could never be a top keeper because of his height. If he was another half a foot taller and could kick a ball he would be great.

Have to agree though maybe it is time for a change.

I appreciate what Jamie's done for us in both cups the last couple of seasons but I do not agree that if he was taller & could kick better he would be great. There would be a lot of other things needed before he could even be considered really good

Hiya Mark

I think MacDonald has improved this season and is capable of making great saves.

His Achilles heel is the type of goal he lost yesterday. This has happened on a few occasions when he should have palmed it away sideways, but surely our Goalkeeping coach (not sure if we have one) should be working with him on this.

Pretty much how I see it. It's a big weakness but he can surely make it less so with suitable training and practice. :cool4:

is there similar childish threads on the liverpool forums after yet another gaff by reina?or man u or man city?keepers make the odd mistake.grow up ffs.gomes when at spurs seemed to give a goal away every other week and did he not cost 12million?

is there similar childish threads on the liverpool forums after yet another gaff by reina?or man u or man city?keepers make the odd mistak

w up ffs.gomes when at spurs seemed to give a goal away every other week and did he not cost 12million?

What's childish about pointing out a goalkeeping mistake ?

queensferryjambo

I have to admit I like MacDonald. He will get better with age.

His stops in the League Cup Semi took us to the final....

It's weird, because I've yet to see Ridgers have a decent game for Hearts, the youths or scotland u21s. Not too many times granted but that's my opinion.

Sure he will step up when Jamie leaves or has a drop in form and requires replaced.

I have to admit I like MacDonald. He will get better with age.

His stops in the League Cup Semi took us to the final....

No denying that but he has major problems with parts of his play. His kickings not great and he needs to learn to push the ball away from danger. Lost count the amount of goals we have lost due to him parrying the ball into the danger area. No doubting he has had games were his overall play has been excellent but the things j mention need worked on and quick.

From Perth to Paisley

Pretty much how I see it. It's a big weakness but he can surely make it less so with suitable training and practice. :cool4:

He has gotten better over the last year but this does seem to a mistake he has made regularly over that time.

He needs to cut out these mistakes, but they're becoming more infrequent, and he is a dependable goalie most of the time so I won't be too critical.

So we're going to ignore the excellent save he made earlier in the game, aye?

Jamie's a perfectly decent SPL 'keeper, we've had better and will most likely have better again in the future but he's miles and miles away from the worst we've had.

If Billy King had picked out a better pass we'd have taken three points - I'm not saying that to slate the young lad, I'm just making the point that it's churlish to point the finger at one player making a mistake and ignoring the other.

Agree with you on this. Jamie's fine as a keeper.

Guest C00l K1d

As i said in the highlights thread for me he is just an okay keeper. He might seem a bit more shite since we've had a good run of keepers for donkeys.

He's 26 so he's still got a bit to go until his peak, however i'd like to see more of ridgers. I know it's not a position to take risks in, but we're playing a lot of youngsters as it is, surely giving ridgers a wee bit game time won't hurt.

Tbf last season was probably the best time to give him a run (mind you he was injured for a wee bit) since he had a proper solid back 4 infront of him

queensferryjambo

No denying that but he has major problems with parts of his play. His kickings not great and he needs to learn to push the ball away from danger. Lost count the amount of goals we have lost due to him parrying the ball into the danger area. No doubting he has had games were his overall play has been excellent but the things j mention need worked on and quick.

If Ridgers is to get his chance I would suggest after the cup final. I know we have a lot of young players but any of our players with cup final experience should stay in the team their experience is vital.

Also as controversial as it sounds I think we should be dropping Zaliukas and trying to get a settled back 4 for the final who are used to playing together. It is only for a few games and the cup is more important than a few league results.

If Ridgers is to get his chance I would suggest after the cup final. I know we have a lot of young players but any of our players with cup final experience should stay in the team their experience is vital.

Also as controversial as it sounds I think we should be dropping Zaliukas and trying to get a settled back 4 for the final who are used to playing together. It is only for a few games and the cup is more important than a few league results.

::troll:::'>

So far I've only seen one person point out the real culprit for the goal, and I'm NOT saying he's shite and will never make it etc etc but Billy King was at fault, or at least made a bigger mistake. His attempted pass to Mullen was suicidal, there were three Ross County players in the vicinity. At that stage the Ross County corner flag should have been the target. I'm sure he'll learn though.

I think the fact the guy sclaffed his shot has done Jamie Mac. If the guy strikes it sweet Jamie holds it.

Not trolling just think we should get things sorted out we know Zal is suspended.

The league is so tight that we cannot afford to write it off just yet. Keep picking up points ans we will find ourselves top six. We need our captain. Would agree with you maybe the game or two before the final though but not this early.

Archived