Time for Ridgers

Zachearts

Wouldnt say its harsh, its part of being in a squad and i just think in my opinion that Ridgers deserves a wee chance now.

Jamie could never be a top keeper because of his height. If he was another half a foot taller and could kick a ball he would be great.

Have to agree though maybe it is time for a change.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
winston churchill

He's to wee.

Tries the superman punch,instead of catching the ball.

Flaps at the old cross ball.

Let's far to many shots come off him,instead of holding them in.

john brownlee

OK lets go with this .....

we are supposed to have the best defence in the SPL according to some, but we constantly lose goals to teams that have very little attacking time in a game

.Usually one shot on target guess what we lose one goal and sometimes thats a winner

So either thats wrong and we have the worst defence in the country or its the fault of the goalie that we lose so many goals to shots ratio

The way I see it is that macdonald cant stop long range shots. cant collect high speed ball either flaps or palms and has no control of his six yard box I can't name the games as there's just too many

Three of the most common ways we lose goals

Now I am getting deja vu moment here .. remember when we were the bridesmaid, we then had the best central defence partnership but a goalie that couldn't stop long bangers (falkirk) dropped balls in the box (smellic semi) and useless tappins from alsorts that lost us very important as well as bread and butter games.

don't get me wrong I would love the lad to be the best goalie in the country but I hope that not like the other one he gets game after game when he should have been dropped and gone long before before its too late and we become the bridesmaid again

and thats the way I see BTW I wasn't at the game today but my thoughts are on other games but I don't know if that happend today, but it sounds fimiliar,

Fermit the Krog

don't get me wrong I would love the lad to be the best goalie in the country but I hope that not like the other one he gets game after game when he should have been dropped and gone long before before its too late and we become the bridesmaid again

:cornette:

Because of him we got to Hampden on May 19th. Because of him we beat Dun Utd on pens in this years league cup.

Awful post.

Awful.

Victor Mancini

firstly ive not seen the goals today but still feel my point below is valid.

Mark Ridgers is just back from a 4-5 month injury, lets not chuck him in the deep end when Jamie Mac's done well this season?

imo it would be fair to say that if John McGlynn had half a clue we would have won a few of the games that we have lost(hibs in the cup,new years derby and both defeats to dundee spring to mind), therefore Jamie Mac losing a last minute goal today wouldve been seen as an unfortunate blip, Ridgers is an excellent prospect but Jamie Macs earned his chance and wouldnt say he's single handedly lost us any games this season

Nobody is denying he had great games against St Mirren,Celtic,Dundee Utd and Inverness in the cups but he's had that many bad games that i cant name them all.......sums it up when you can name his handfull of good games.

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Absolute horsesh**e original post. Jamie is a really solid goalkeeper. We've been blessed with such good previous keepers such as Niemi and Craig Gordon and despite Jamie not being quite up to that standard, he's solid, reliable, passionate about the team winning and capable of some great performances now and again.

boy_in_maroon

Interesting that Garland's photo should appear. Always thought he was rank and at my first ever Hearts game he conceded a soft own goal from Jimmy Cant however he then went on to save 2 hibs penalties (unfortunately we lost 2-1 tho). As I was only 7 years old at the time I probably wasn't best placed to judge so any of the (even) older generation care to give an opinion on Kenny Garland?

I always hated when bobby seith picked him over Jim Cruickshank, I was glad when seith got banjo'd. Cruicky rightfully was back between the sticks, to the annoucer's voice, "number one and goalkeeper,Cruickshank" and yes you are right, Judy was rank!!

john brownlee

:cornette:

Because of him we got to Hampden on May 19th. Because of him we beat Dun Utd on pens in this years league cup.

Awful post.

Awful.

yes and no and thats your opion not mine as I;ve said before one man dosen't make a team but one mans mistake can lose a game

gorgie rd eh11

Points lost today and not for the first time at the hands of Jamie, granted he has had his games were it's made a difference but his mistakes outweigh the good parts for me. Mark Ridgers is back fit and for me is the better keeper, more presence, better kicker of the ball and better shotstopper. Today's second Ross County goal was the final straw for me, poor attempt from Jamie.

:stuart:

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Very solid, above average SPL keeper who rarely lets us down and has won some games for us. Has 10 u-21 caps and could easily step into the Scotland squad - there's not much competition. Ridgers chance will come.

Unbelievably harsh on Jamie. As has already been said he is a good solid SPL 'keeper who has been responsible for a lot of Hearts success over the last season. I can't think of many blunders he's made which have resulted in us losing a goal this season. As always with a goalie their mistakes are usually a lot more costly but it doesn't mean he should be benched because of it.

Nobody is denying he had great games against St Mirren,Celtic,Dundee Utd and Inverness in the cups but he's had that many bad games that i cant name them all.......sums it up when you can name his handfull of good games.

We've been shite this season and if it wasn't for MacDonald it could be a lot worse.

I had the fortune today to have to sign for a recorded delivery letter for my passport and as I came down the stair with my Jambos sweatshirt on, my postie said you will be struggling to make the game at Dingwall today, I then had the pleasure of shaking the hand of 'Henry, Henry give us a wave Smith' a true Jambo and gentleman. Made my day.

0,,10289~3211007,00.jpg

MacDonald Jardine

OK lets go with this .....

we are supposed to have the best defence in the SPL according to some, but we constantly lose goals to teams that have very little attacking time in a game

.Usually one shot on target guess what we lose one goal and sometimes thats a winner

So either thats wrong and we have the worst defence in the country or its the fault of the goalie that we lose so many goals to shots ratio

The way I see it is that macdonald cant stop long range shots. cant collect high speed ball either flaps or palms and has no control of his six yard box I can't name the games as there's just too many

Three of the most common ways we lose goals

Now I am getting deja vu moment here .. remember when we were the bridesmaid, we then had the best central defence partnership but a goalie that couldn't stop long bangers (falkirk) dropped balls in the box (smellic semi) and useless tappins from alsorts that lost us very important as well as bread and butter games.

and thats the way I see BTW I wasn't at the game today but my thoughts are on other games but I don't know if that happend today, but it sounds fimiliar,

That is very unfair on Henry Smith who contributed at least as much as most to put us in a position to compete in the first place.

Wondered how long it would take before the "he's too wee" card got played.

:rofl:

It's a myth. He's 6ft1 ffs.

It was a bad goal to lose, and he lost a few almost identical to today's earlier in the season. It seems to be his real weak-spot.

No point laying into him for it though as he's been playing well recently.

Nucky Thompson

If he leaves all his best games for Cup ties, that will do for me. We have a lot to be thankful to Jamie for

I'm sure Ridgers will come in soon but not for the reason stated by the OP The more games he does not play in the first team, obviously, the less first team experience he'll have. I cannot think that we will go into next season with just one experienced keeper and so I feel he will be selected soon. With so many youngs lads just finding their feet, now may not be the best time. A few games down the line I would expect to see Mark feature in the first team and get a wee run.

Jamie is a very good shot stopper.

However he is not tall enough & he does not command his box. He needs to learn how to catch a ball rather than punch it & he needs to improve his distribution.

letsalllaughathobos

Seen the goal and have to agree he needs to step aside, far to many bad goals like the one today,

Give Ridgers a shot no harm done

Ridgers is a top bloke and a great keeper, his day will come and he knows that

It was a bad goal to lose, and he lost a few almost identical to today's earlier in the season. It seems to be his real weak-spot.

No point laying into him for it though as he's been playing well recently.

:spoton:

Jambof3tornado

Do people that start shite threads have to pay extra to subscribe?

All keepers make errors but Jamie has done ok this season. I dont think there is much between him and ridgers but until our number 1 is injured or has a howler of a match the highlander will have to be patient!!

Come on now. If jamie is excellent,how would you describe Gordon or Niemmi?

I'm not saying MacDonald is anywhere near as good as Gordon or Niemi. But he's a very good keeper and wanting him dropped is ludicrous.

fabienleclerq

I think we have conceded 28 goals this year, 8 to celtic. Hardly the stats of a poor goalkeeper. Jamie has had a great season for me, no way would i drop him. Not seen the goal yet but who was meant to close down the 20 yard strike? who was marking the player who scored? why did we allow county to have possesion so close to goal? It's easy to blame the last man, the team loses goals not just the keeper.

I'm not saying MacDonald is anywhere near as good as Gordon or Niemi. But he's a very good keeper and wanting him dropped is ludicrous.

Talk of dropping him is ludicrous. But saying Jamie is 'excellent' is even more ludicrous. He's a good shot stopper and quick of the line but that's about it. The difference between Jamie and someone like Gordon is consistency. Jamie makes far too many mistakes and isn't commanding enough in the box. That's why Jamie is a good goalkeeper at best.

Talk of dropping him is ludicrous. But saying Jamie is 'excellent' is even more ludicrous. He's a good shot stopper and quick of the line but that's about it. The difference between Jamie and someone like Gordon is consistency. Jamie makes far too many mistakes and isn't commanding enough in the box. That's why Jamie is a good goalkeeper at best.

He's had an excellent season.

Optimus Prime

I think we as a club have been spoiled over the years with the standard of our goalkeepers. He's an above average goalkeeper the problem is we've been used to having very good goalkeepers. Jamie had a shaky start when he was handed the number 1 spot but there's no doubt he has looked a lot more assured this season. He ain't the best goalie in the league but he certainly isn't the worst.

It's a myth. He's 6ft1 ffs.

He is 5ft 10. Would be a much better player if he was another half a foot taller.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Possibly the worst thread I've seen on here for a while.

I will take a warning for questioning the Mod's decision for keeping it open.

jamie cannot hold the ball. however when he decides to palm a long shot he seems to know it straight in front of him instead of knocking it to the side. he will never be a great goalkeeper until he learns from these basic mistakes

He is 5ft 10. Would be a much better player if he was another half a foot taller.

Source?

He's listed as 6-1" or 1.85M on every website I've checked.

The World and Euro cup holders captain is a goalkeeper and smaller than Jamie, I suppose Casillas is too small aswell?

glastonbury jambo

jamie mac saving low down to his left from billy mackay one-on-one in the semi was a massive save , deserves his place

He has had a good season so far. Our problem is that we have been blessed with amazing goalkeepers over the last 25 years (with the odd exception), The standard of keeper in the Hearts goal is better than any club in Scotland over the last 25 years.

Thunderstruck

Given that Craig Gordon had a propensity for palming the ball directly to the foot of an incoming striker and he was the "bestest keeper we have had", Jamie has nothing to fear.

Points lost today and not for the first time at the hands of Jamie, granted he has had his games were it's made a difference but his mistakes outweigh the good parts for me. Mark Ridgers is back fit and for me is the better keeper, more presence, better kicker of the ball and better shotstopper. Today's second Ross County goal was the final straw for me, poor attempt from Jamie.

Tell us all what you've seen of Ridgers.

I've seen very little of him and he certainly is nowhere near Jamie, yet.

Blame McGlynn. :)

Anyway, Jamie might not inspire confidence but at least he's not Craig Nelson level of shiteness.

Jamie could never be a top keeper because of his height. If he was another half a foot taller and could kick a ball he would be great.

Have to agree though maybe it is time for a change.

Since when did being less thsn six foot tall stop you becoming a top goalkeeper?

Casillas

Coupet

Armando

Goram

All shorter than six foot.

scott herbertson

was Ridgers the goalkeeper in the U-20s game against Motherwell in the financial 'crisis' ?

An excellent season is quite different from an excellent player.

Fine. I apologise for my choice of words.

He's a very good keeper, especially in our league.

The Old Tolbooth

What a steaming pile of horseshit! Sometimes our fans can be the biggest dicks on the planet ffs, Jamie is a very decent keeper and should not be dropped! What a difference three days make eh?

Got a few bites to be fair :lol:

What a steaming pile of horseshit! Sometimes our fans can be the biggest dicks on the planet ffs, Jamie is a very decent keeper and should not be dropped! What a difference three days make eh?

:jjyay:

Archived