EU Membership - Enough or more?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

I personally think enough is enough, I'm fed up being in my country with people who cant either:

Grasp the language.

Know the laws of the workforce.

Here's the list:

Austria

Belgium

Bulgaria

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Ireland

Italy

Latvia

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta

Netherlands

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

United Kingdom

Now I believe some of these countries have something to add to Britain, but the rest are here purely to skim off as much money away from our country that they can.

So whats your thoughts? Personally, I think Maggie Thatcher had a point. ;)

chester copperpot
i think IMO we should join them and start using the Euro....

Away and boil yer heid, I dont think either the nationalist or the other lot will agree to that. ;)

Other lot = Wrong.

we already are a member of the EU bro

Away and boil yer heid, I dont think either the nationalist or the other lot will agree to that. ;)

Other lot = Wrong.

we already are a member of the EU bro

yeah i know that dude i meant using the Euro i think it would stabilise our economy.

chester copperpot
aslong as the turks dont get in.

Mate, they're already here, in their numbers.

i think IMO we should join them and start using the Euro....

Agreed.

Wait about 6 months. The Euro - GBP exchange rate will equal up and that's when the ball will start rolling.

Quite right Chester.

What's Malta's great contribution to European culture? The Malteser and I'm not even sure if they're chocolate.

Does anyone know the difference between Slovenia, Slovakia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania and Estonia? If it wasn't for the JTs I don't think anyone would even know what a Lithuania was. (well the JTs and severed heads)

Close the doors, block the ports, occupy the runways.

Of course there's another way of looking at it, the more foreigners we allow in the more watered down the neds are in our society. Also these Eastern European women are HOT! Once we start mixing (in the biblical sense) our offspring will be better looking and so more successful.

I'd probably just throw in the towel now and change to the Euro. 15 years ago I'd have said withdraw and build better trade links with the US. (because they're stupid and therefore easily exploited, but also because then they were by far the greatest economy the world had ever seen, but mostly because they're stupid) Now I'd suggest a united Europe builds trade links with the Chinese, the only question is what can we sell them?

jamboinglasgow
yeah i know that dude i meant using the Euro i think it would stabilise our economy.

yes and no, I agree it would help having an equal currency footing with the rest of europe but I would not like to hand over the montery policy from the bank of England to the ECB, feel it is better for each state to control inflation in their own country rather than a Europe wide policy which benefits some and costs others.

Boaby Ewing

I think we should admit Turkey, then sell them to our future Chinese overlords.

Everyone's a winner.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Agreed.

Wait about 6 months. The Euro - GBP exchange rate will equal up and that's when the ball will start rolling.

Hardly, its world markets that will determine that, not Brown and a few boys in Brussels.

chester copperpot

Amen to that.

Actually I aint no racist, just a bit worried of the state our country has become.

Amen to that.

Actually I aint no racist, just a bit worried of the state our country has become.

It is a state Chester, but it's the fault of the indigenous bams, the economic European immigrants, they're not the ones causing the problems.

Send the neds and the junkies and thieves and ****bags and the single mums and the unemployed and the young folk who can't read and write and anyone with a criminal record and hobos and weejies and everyone else who is a terrible burden to us to Eastern Europe and in return we'll take anyone who looks like Eva Herzigova or Maria Sharapova.

Job Done!

Craig Gordons Gloves
Amen to that.

unfortunately i dont think that has been caused by an influx of europeans from all over.

You could argue that the state of the country is more to do with the entitlement society that has been growing for years and years. We should be a bit more like Germany and have limits on numbers of immigrants - but the daily mail type thinking of blaming it on europe is way off.

Obviously i'm biased as i moved from scotland to the states 18 months ago to get away from all these whinging scots, english, irish etc

;)

chester copperpot
unfortunately i dont think that has been caused by an influx of europeans from all over.

You could argue that the state of the country is more to do with the entitlement society that has been growing for years and years. We should be a bit more like Germany and have limits on numbers of immigrants - but the daily mail type thinking of blaming it on europe is way off.

Obviously i'm biased as i moved from scotland to the states 18 months ago to get away from all these whinging scots, english, irish etc

;)

I blame it on no newspaper, as I'm intelligent to think for myself.

I'm fed up with it.

scott_jambo

The European Union has always been a question of economics, which is the most important aspect of foreign policy at present. The USA and China show this quite evidently. In the a globalised world that we live in today, do you not think it is important to be part of a multilateral institution where economic and business interests are synchronised? Business in Europe is so deeply interdependently linked than to pull away from that now would leave Britain out of the loop not just economically but politically too. If we pulled out of the European Union we would lose our right to veto and put a spanner in the works of EU decision making. France and Germany would synchronise the markets in such a way that they would benefit emphatically and rest assured would not take British interests into account when setting policy. EU integration is a not a choice but a necessity on so many levels for a country like Britain. while you may get annoyed with poles and romanians coming over here, immigration is an issue where Brussels has less power and can be changed through domestic policy making. The reality is that we need these workers more than you could imagine, If you think the grangemouth strike is bad then you would be in for a surprise if we told all foreign workers to leave tomorrow. What we should be doing is trying to rectify the Thatcher spawned youth of today that have no direction and the only cheap thrill is through drink drugs and violence.

And on your last point. Dont be so naive and offensive to think that eastern european countries gained accession to the European Union so they could 'skim off Britain'. You'l find that Germany and many other countries facilitated fast EU accession of the eastern european states so that they could take advantage of the economic opportunities that post soviet states provided. The return for this is to be part of an economic institution, gain legitimacy as a state and provide stability and free market trade to aid faster development. Sorry to burst your bubble but they dont give a fu** about Britain.

Craig Gordons Gloves
I blame it on no newspaper, as I'm intelligent to think for myself.

I'm fed up with it.

i'm not insinuating that you are just re gurgitating stuff from the newspaper, or that you aren't thinking for yourself.

Stuart Lyon

A couple of years ago in my local I overheard this guy talking to the manager. He was basically criticising foreign immigrants to the UK for taking-up "our" jobs. A few minutes later he said to the manager he was leaving and he would see him again in a few months. When asked where he was going he said he had been working in Spain for months and was going back to his job there! How hypocritical is that?

Doctor FinnBarr
The European Union has always been a question of economics, which is the most important aspect of foreign policy at present. The USA and China show this quite evidently. In the a globalised world that we live in today, do you not think it is important to be part of a multilateral institution where economic and business interests are synchronised? Business in Europe is so deeply interdependently linked than to pull away from that now would leave Britain out of the loop not just economically but politically too. If we pulled out of the European Union we would lose our right to veto and put a spanner in the works of EU decision making. France and Germany would synchronise the markets in such a way that they would benefit emphatically and rest assured would not take British interests into account when setting policy. EU integration is a not a choice but a necessity on so many levels for a country like Britain. while you may get annoyed with poles and romanians coming over here, immigration is an issue where Brussels has less power and can be changed through domestic policy making. The reality is that we need these workers more than you could imagine, If you think the grangemouth strike is bad then you would be in for a surprise if we told all foreign workers to leave tomorrow. What we should be doing is trying to rectify the Thatcher spawned youth of today that have no direction and the only cheap thrill is through drink drugs and violence.

And on your last point. Dont be so naive and offensive to think that eastern european countries gained accession to the European Union so they could 'skim off Britain'. You'l find that Germany and many other countries facilitated fast EU accession of the eastern european states so that they could take advantage of the economic opportunities that post soviet states provided. The return for this is to be part of an economic institution, gain legitimacy as a state and provide stability and free market trade to aid faster development. Sorry to burst your bubble but they dont give a fu** about Britain.

They are skimming off the country! What gives them the right to come here and claim Tax Credits and Child benefit for children who do NOT reside in this country without paying into the system for years like the rest of us?

I admit its our governments fault for allowing it, but if thats not skimming off this country then I don,t know what is!

:evilno:

They are skimming off the country! What gives them the right to come here and claim Tax Credits and Child benefit for children who do NOT reside in this country without paying into the system for years like the rest of us?

I admit its our governments fault for allowing it, but if thats not skimming off this country then I don,t know what is!

:evilno:

You are making things up, according to this only 2.4% claim any benefits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7373552.stm

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Big report on the news last night saying how a lot of the migrant workers are now returning home as places like Poland have a more buoyant economy than the UK at the moment and how basically we could end up a bit screwed as employers are finding it tough to fill a lot of jobs that these guys were traditionally quite happy to do.

Walter Payton
I personally think enough is enough, I'm fed up being in my country with people who cant either:

Grasp the language.

Forget the foreigners Andy- I thought living in Glasgow would have taught you by now that there's a sizeable number of Scots that couldn't satisfy those criteria.

Me? I'd be happy to welcome people that want to learn the language and become part of the workforce, whether they were born here or not.

Doctor FinnBarr
You are making things up, according to this only 2.4% claim any benefits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7373552.stm

No I ain,t, that 2.4% only applies to unemployment benefit and the likes, not tax credits and child allowance. I know people who work for the tax credits office and East Europeans do not even have to provide proof that children actually exist! They only need a name and date of birth.

Don,t be brainwashed by the government and the BBC!

Commander Harris

the EU smells of poo - the sooner we can withdraw the better.

maltese jambo
Quite right Chester.

What's Malta's great contribution to European culture? The Malteser and I'm not even sure if they're chocolate.

Does anyone know the difference between Slovenia, Slovakia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania and Estonia? If it wasn't for the JTs I don't think anyone would even know what a Lithuania was. (well the JTs and severed heads)

Of course there's another way of looking at it, the more foreigners we allow in the more watered down the neds are in our society. Also these Eastern European women are HOT! Once we start mixing (in the biblical sense) our offspring will be better looking and so more successful.

I'd probably just throw in the towel now and change to the Euro. 15 years ago I'd have said withdraw and build better trade links with the US. (because they're stupid and therefore easily exploited, but also because then they were by far the greatest economy the world had ever seen, but mostly because they're stupid) Now I'd suggest a united Europe builds trade links with the Chinese, the only question is what can we sell them?

Your post is offensive and bordering between sheer ignorance and stupidity. Why is culture the only thing which is important here? I'm not even going to contemplate an answer about Malta's (very rich) culture with someone like you. Surely the real topic is the EU and the EURO, so lets have a look at Malta's contribution here; an intellegent workforce with an educational system focused on ICT has attracted top programming, electronics and semiconductor manufacturing to the island (human resource contribution)

Funding has been provided to make possible much needed preservation projects at Hagar Qim, the prehistoric temples which can now be preserved and allow generations to enjoy and appreciate the achievements of our ancestors. (Cultural contribution)

Meanwhile, The EU has provided much needed boosts to current Maltese legislation, particularly employment law, which has seen fundamental increase in working standards, practices and health and safety. Moreover, it has provided the Maltese workers with the European courts of law, which mean any mistreatment including at work can be braught to a higher authority with higher standards. (Much of the UK employment law is based on EU law anyway)

The Euro has provided economic parity with Europe, reducing barriers to trade so that Malta can use its key strengths such as its highly skilled workforce as well as providing a boost to the tourism market by reducing the specter of exchange rates. While the lower cost of living on the island means that lower wages can also be implimented.

The truth is that Malta is more competitive and better prepared than the UK to benefit from the EU....The intellegent workforce in particular is our strength, and with ignorant people like you around its hardly surprising we're taking your jobs.

Walter Payton
Your post is offensive and bordering between sheer ignorance and stupidity. Why is culture the only thing which is important here? I'm not even going to contemplate an answer about Malta's (very rich) culture with someone like you. Surely the real topic is the EU and the EURO, so lets have a look at Malta's contribution here; an intellegent workforce with an educational system focused on ICT has attracted top programming, electronics and semiconductor manufacturing to the island (human resource contribution)

Funding has been provided to make possible much needed preservation projects at Hagar Qim, the prehistoric temples which can now be preserved and allow generations to enjoy and appreciate the achievements of our ancestors. (Cultural contribution)

Meanwhile, The EU has provided much needed boosts to current Maltese legislation, particularly employment law, which has seen fundamental increase in working standards, practices and health and safety. Moreover, it has provided the Maltese workers with the European courts of law, which mean any mistreatment including at work can be braught to a higher authority with higher standards. (Much of the UK employment law is based on EU law anyway)

The Euro has provided economic parity with Europe, reducing barriers to trade so that Malta can use its key strengths such as its highly skilled workforce as well as providing a boost to the tourism market by reducing the specter of exchange rates. While the lower cost of living on the island means that lower wages can also be implimented.

The truth is that Malta is more competitive and better prepared than the UK to benefit from the EU....The intellegent workforce in particular is our strength, and with ignorant people like you around its hardly surprising we're taking your jobs.

I think your passion for defending Malta is admirable, but think you need to cut the Doctor some slack here- I'd suggest his tongue was firmly in his cheek here and he was just using the opportunity to crack an age-old joke about Malta and Maltesers. Don't think for a minute he's ignorant- not very funny maybe, but don't think he's ignorant...

I realise that your post is slightly tongue in cheek, but I agree wholeheartedly with the points you've made.

Who would I rather share Scotland with? The foul-mouthed, aggressive, spitting, uneducated proles who seem to inhabit vast tracts of the Central Belt or citizens of other EU countries who seem to suffer none of these symptoms?

The sooner our third-generation ned gene pool is watered down, the better.

I realise that your post is slightly tongue in cheek, but I agree wholeheartedly with the points you've made.

Who would I rather share Scotland with? The foul-mouthed, aggressive, spitting, uneducated proles who seem to inhabit vast tracts of the Central Belt or citizens of other EU countries who seem to suffer none of these symptoms?

The sooner our third-generation ned gene pool is watered down, the better.

Goes back again to what I have been saying on many threads re the Marxist interpretation of capitalist society and the growth of the Lumpen Proletariat.

I agree with what you say and would also argue that it has always been easier to pick on a scapegoat rather than actually look at what the real underlying problem is.

Britain should be at the heart of Europe, pushing policy rather than whinging on the sidelines.

As Lyndon B Johnson one said "Better be inside the tent ****ing out, than outside the tent ****ing in".

Goes back again to what I have been saying on many threads re the Marxist interpretation of capitalist society and the growth of the Lumpen Proletariat.

I agree with what you say and would also argue that it has always been easier to pick on a scapegoat rather than actually look at what the real underlying problem is.

Britain should be at the heart of Europe, pushing policy rather than whinging on the sidelines.

As Lyndon B Johnson one said "Better be inside the tent ****ing out, than outside the tent ****ing in".

I was mindful of your recent posts as I typed.

I think my interpretation of the growth of this social underclass might be slightly different from yours, though. My thoughts are always drawn to the predominance of a political monoculture in the geo-political area under discussion for the last forty years or so and the acceptance of mediocrity in all walks of life. This, together with a sense of remoteness from real decision-making and the abdication of responsibility at a family and personal level, has contrived to produce generations of people who, I agree, can best be described as Lumpenproletariat.

I was mindful of your recent posts as I typed.

I think my interpretation of the growth of this social underclass might be slightly different from yours, though. My thoughts are always drawn to the predominance of a political monoculture in the geo-political area under discussion for the last forty years or so and the acceptance of mediocrity in all walks of life. This, together with a sense of remoteness from real decision-making and the abdication of responsibility at a family and personal level, has contrived to produce generations of people who, I agree, can best be described as Lumpenproletariat.

You may have a point, however I think this has been accelerated due to the policies from central govt during the 1980's which were at odds to the political monoculture you mention. This initself bred the mediocrity. That said, an inability to "move with the times" and a feeling sorry for themselves mentality didn't help.

Added to the political disenfranchisement more and more "couldn't care less" attitudes came to the fore (mirroring ironically central govt policy) leaving us where we are today.

maltese jambo
I think your passion for defending Malta is admirable, but think you need to cut the Doctor some slack here- I'd suggest his tongue was firmly in his cheek here and he was just using the opportunity to crack an age-old joke about Malta and Maltesers. Don't think for a minute he's ignorant- not very funny maybe, but don't think he's ignorant...

couldnt care less about the malteser 'joke', the fact that he branded a rich culture worthless is more of a concern.

Era Macaroons

what a load of guff posted in the last fews posts.....are these threads always going to degenerate into long winded student gripes.

as to the OP

Yes...ENOUGH...of the EU, our country (Scotland &/or GB) is being diluted beyond recognition, most of the countries on the list are bleeding us , not many being of any gain to us.

scott_jambo
what a load of guff posted in the last fews posts.....are these threads always going to degenerate into long winded student gripes.

as to the OP

Yes...ENOUGH...of the EU, our country (Scotland &/or GB) is being diluted beyond recognition, most of the countries on the list are bleeding us , not many being of any gain to us.

facts are a b**** though. Ignorance is bliss.

facts are a b**** though. Ignorance is bliss.

Exactly!

I remember having a debate with the UKIP candidate at the last General Election on Dalry Road.

He was moaning about the influx of EU people to the UK. I responded that if I could speak another language I would be more than happy to take advantage of the freedom of employment that the EU offers. In fact why is it that UK citizens don't do this?

His reply was that a small minority of intellectuals do (I know...) but it is useless to the vast majority of people. To which I replied that this was surely not a failing of the Eu but rather a failure of UK educational policy for decades?

He was then stumped.

I personally think enough is enough

The EU should have restricted itself to being a federation of trading partners. It should not have been extended to cover other areas of our lives. The notion that one can have a single set of rules and regulations that suits the peoples of (say) Denmark and Greece is laughable. History is littered with examples of dissimilar peoples who have been forced together to create a super state or empire, and they invariably break up.

Bottom line is we didn't fight WW2 to be bossed about by the Germans. :evilno:

EU and its apologists GTF. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The EU should have restricted itself to being a federation of trading partners. It should not have been extended to cover other areas of our lives. The notion that one can have a single set of rules and regulations that suits the peoples of (say) Denmark and Greece is laughable. History is littered with examples of dissimilar peoples who have been forced together to create a super state or empire, and they invariably break up.

You could argue the same for Alaska and California , couldn't you ?And yet the US is just about the most disparate gathering of states you could find brought together under one flag. And they're so patriotic too. When do you think the US will break up ?

The only reason there is such a negative slant on the EU in this country is that Ingerlund ruled the world for 300 years and it's media cannot stomach the fact that the Empire is long gone and that we have to treat the French & Germans as equals instead of arch enemies. Why is there such antipathy in this country to a bill of rights ? It's OK for the US (Americans well understand why you need a bill of rights) but in this feudal backwater we've got people saying we don't need/want it (no one ever asked me yet) and that we still want to be the Queen's subjects !!

There ARE things wrong with the EU and CAP is one of the biggest sins but that isn't to say that it isn't worth having or that it isn't a force for good : look at what's been achieved in the Balkans by dangling a memebership carrot. Also the recently announced reforms in Turkey : who are desperate to get in.

You could argue the same for Alaska and California , couldn't you?

No, you couldn't. :rolleyes:

The only reason there is such a negative slant on the EU in this country is that Ingerlund ruled the world for 300 years and it's media cannot stomach the fact that the Empire is long gone and that we have to treat the French & Germans as equals instead of arch enemies.

Incorrect. The resistance to it is due to the stupid regulations they impose on us and profligate spending - particularly on EU infrastructure. Remember this is the organisation that couldn't even get a clean audit because they can't track their expenses . :mad:

Why is there such antipathy in this country to a bill of rights ?

The set up we have at the moment works perfectly well. If it ain't broken why fix it? Why don't they adopt out system? :cool:

look at what's been achieved in the Balkans by dangling a memebership carrot.

No wonder. The EU is an easy touch in terms of giving them money for **** all. :mad:

See my earlier comment re urinating out of the tent rather than into it.

Commander Harris

you cannot compare federal states in America to sovereign states in Europe that have hundreds, if not thousands of years of history.

See my earlier comment re urinating out of the tent rather than into it.

I did. No offence, but it's a crock of brown stuff and has done nothing to change my mind. :)

I did. No offence, but it's a crock of brown stuff and has done nothing to change my mind. :)

But if the UK were setting the agenda perhaps the EU would not have evolved to the place where it is today?

Forge a working alliance with the Dutch and the Danish, keep the French onside and Bob's your Uncle.

No offence taken though. I've found that not many people agree with what I say on here already! :rolleyes:

But if the UK were setting the agenda perhaps the EU would not have evolved to the place where it is today?

The EU agenda and infrastructure was already set long before the UK joined. Reining it in when we joined would have been impossible, let alone now. If we have to be part of it at least we've got a veto over certain things.

The EU is an ill-conceived monster that is now completely out of control. Any positive aspects of it could have been achieved by simply creating a free trade zone, and it should never have been extended into areas that should be none of its business.

The EU agenda and infrastructure was already set long before the UK joined. Reining it in when we joined would have been impossible, let alone now. If we have to be part of it at least we've got a veto over certain things.

The EU is an ill-conceived monster that is now completely out of control. Any positive aspects of it could have been achieved by simply creating a free trade zone, and it should never have been extended into areas that should be none of its business.

Given that the majority of UK trade is with the EU it makes sense to be part of it, however I do share your concerns re extension of EU interference in national policy, or rather the apparent loss of national sovereignty.

I'd have certain criminal on bread & water doing hard labour for their sentence but this of course would breach the Human Rights Act!

The origins of the EU (the EEC and the organisations which preceded it) are political rather than economic, so to say that it should restrict itself to being an association of trading partners is to misunderstand the purpose from which it evolved, which was to prevent recurrence of war in Europe, principally between France and Germany.

To that extent it has been very successful. It has also achieved success in removing trade barriers within Europe and has provided its citizens with huge benefits in terms of freedom of movement.

Its expanded membership,though, is beginning to make it look very unwieldy, and further extension should be resisted.

I've never understood the "loss of sovereignty" argument, especially as it is usually made by people who support a parliament which fought tooth and nail for so long to thwart those in Scotland and Wales who were interested in the return of some of their own sovereignty. I feel no worse about having certain things decided from Brussels than I do about having my life run from London.

I feel no worse about having certain things decided from Brussels than I do about having my life run from London.

Fortunately you are in the minority, and always will be.

Grasp the language.

Here's the list:

Austria

Belgium

Bulgaria

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Ireland

Italy

Latvia

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta

Netherlands

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

United Kingdom

Now I believe some of these countries have something to add to Britain, but the rest are here purely to skim off as much money away from our country that they can.

So whats your thoughts? Personally, I think Maggie Thatcher had a point. ;)

i'd say that the majority of people who come over here take the language pretty seriously - most of the foreign people at my job are taking highers in english at colleges, or have studied it at uni in their own countries - and work a lot harder than most of the scottish people. there's always going to be a percentage of lazy buggers, but IMO the percentage of those coming over here is far less than the ones already here.

Fortunately you are in the minority, and always will be.

If withdrawal from the EU was something the majority of people in the UK desired or believed in, one of the major parties would have adopted it as policy by now. In reality, everyone knows there is absolutely no chance of this happening.

Similarly, if the sovereignty issue beloved of Little Englanders and Daily Maily readers everywhere was really that huge a problem, then strenuous attempts would be made to renegotiate treaties. That's not happening either.

So in reality I appear to be part of a vast majority of people who don't have any bigger problem - in real terms - being run from Brussels than they do being run from London.

Archived