EU Membership - Enough or more?

chester copperpot

If withdrawal from the EU was something the majority of people in the UK desired or believed in, one of the major parties would have adopted it as policy by now.

They would if it wasn't so expensive to get out. The EU have us by le short und curlies. :mad:

They would if it wasn't so expensive to get out. The EU have us by le short und curlies. :mad:

I'm honestly not convinced the desire is there. The whole question of national identity is much less clear-cut than it used to be. For me, being British comes a long way behind being Scottish and European. Others will obviously have a completely different view.

Having lived and worked in other EU countries, I appreciate the opportunities it has offered me. I sincerely hope my children will do the same. I don't really have any desire to return to the "island nation" mentality, with all that it entails.

Nein die kurzen und lockigen.;)

Having lived and worked in other EU countries, I appreciate the opportunities it has offered me.

Since 1989 I have probably spent an average on two months a year working outside the UK. Last time I took the time to count, it was 30 different countries. Having seen them in action, that's the reason why I believe Britain - for all its faults - is still the best. ;)

davemclaren
Since 1989 I have probably spent an average on two months a year working outside the UK. Last time I took the time to count, it was 30 different countries. Having seen them in action, that's the reason why I believe Britain - for all its faults - is still the best. ;)

Scotland, you mean!? :P

Sheriff Fatman
Incorrect. The resistance to it is due to the stupid regulations they impose on us and profligate spending - particularly on EU infrastructure. Remember this is the organisation that couldn't even get a clean audit because they can't track their expenses . :mad:

Aye and our home grown political parties and institutions are such paragons of virtue.

As for stupid regulations, if you mean the ones that the Daily Wail constantly harps on about, like the bendy bananas one or being forced to call a sausage something else, they are not true. In fact the sausage one is a plot line from Yes Minister. Richard Littlejohn also went into fits of hysterics about a regulation that said fishermen had to wear hairnets when catching fish. Shame it was made up by a British journalist as a bet to see what could be believed. Richard Littlejohn even wrote 'you can't make things like this up', well they did and he fell for it hook line and sinker.

Our major problems with the EU are because we as a nation (if not as individuals) are so bloody law abiding.

If there is a set of rules we must follow them pedanticly to the letter of the law.

Everyone else in Europe seems to cherry pick the bits they like and ignore the rest.

I like the free trade and movement of people.

Human rights, CAP and fishing laws are a crock of bull.

In fact, if we done away with the human rights stuff and treated our prisoners with a bit more brutality I'm sure the majority would be quite happy:p

I don't want the Euro either.

Sheriff Fatman
Our major problems with the EU are because we as a nation (if not as individuals) are so bloody law abiding.

If there is a set of rules we must follow them pedanticly to the letter of the law.

Everyone else in Europe seems to cherry pick the bits they like and ignore the rest.

I like the free trade and movement of people.

Human rights, CAP and fishing laws are a crock of bull.

In fact, if we done away with the human rights stuff and treated our prisoners with a bit more brutality I'm sure the majority would be quite happy:p

I don't want the Euro either.

More fallacies. The French, the Germans, the Dutch, the Spanish and us all think that they are the ones that follow the rules while everyone else cherry picks.

There is precisely one mention of the treatment of prisoners in the European Convention on Human Rights, which reads "No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment." A rule which was already in place in the UK before we signed the ECHR and had been for some time. It is up to our judges what constitutes torture or inhumane or degrading treatment.

As to the EURO, to be honest who cares, money is money. If we do change and there are price rises because of it it's not because of the EU it's because of greedy shopkeepers who think it would be an easy way to fleece their customers.

More fallacies. The French, the Germans, the Dutch, the Spanish and us all think that they are the ones that follow the rules while everyone else cherry picks.We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, especially when it comes to France.:P

There is precisely one mention of the treatment of prisoners in the European Convention on Human Rights, which reads "No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment." A rule which was already in place in the UK before we signed the ECHR and had been for some time. It is up to our judges what constitutes torture or inhumane or degrading treatment.It must have been a good mention in the ECHR then as the human rights lawers went into full swing once we incorporated that into our law. Also I wouldn't say it is up to our courts as they fall under the jurisdiction of the European court.

As to the EURO, to be honest who cares, money is money. If we do change and there are price rises because of it it's not because of the EU it's because of greedy shopkeepers who think it would be an easy way to fleece their customers.

IMO it's not as simplistic as that. I wouldn't go anywhere near that currency until we have seen how the Eurozone handles a full blown recession.

Sheriff Fatman
It must have been a good mention in the ECHR then as the human rights lawers went into full swing once we incorporated that into our law. Also I wouldn't say it is up to our courts as they fall under the jurisdiction of the European court.

Most of the 'improvements' in the treatment of prisoners came about well before the ECHR was even thought about.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that currency until we have seen how the Eurozone handles a full blown recession.

Much of Europe will probably do better during the present financial down turn because they don't have anything like the same level of mortgage problems that we have.

Your post is offensive and bordering between sheer ignorance and stupidity. Why is culture the only thing which is important here? I'm not even going to contemplate an answer about Malta's (very rich) culture with someone like you. Surely the real topic is the EU and the EURO, so lets have a look at Malta's contribution here; an intellegent workforce with an educational system focused on ICT has attracted top programming, electronics and semiconductor manufacturing to the island (human resource contribution)

Funding has been provided to make possible much needed preservation projects at Hagar Qim, the prehistoric temples which can now be preserved and allow generations to enjoy and appreciate the achievements of our ancestors. (Cultural contribution)

Meanwhile, The EU has provided much needed boosts to current Maltese legislation, particularly employment law, which has seen fundamental increase in working standards, practices and health and safety. Moreover, it has provided the Maltese workers with the European courts of law, which mean any mistreatment including at work can be braught to a higher authority with higher standards. (Much of the UK employment law is based on EU law anyway)

The Euro has provided economic parity with Europe, reducing barriers to trade so that Malta can use its key strengths such as its highly skilled workforce as well as providing a boost to the tourism market by reducing the specter of exchange rates. While the lower cost of living on the island means that lower wages can also be implimented.

The truth is that Malta is more competitive and better prepared than the UK to benefit from the EU....The intellegent workforce in particular is our strength, and with ignorant people like you around its hardly surprising we're taking your jobs.

In addition to providing some interesting insight into Malta, you've also answered the age-old question of "How do you make a Maltese Cross?"

It's a joke, by the way!

maltese jambo
In addition to providing some interesting insight into Malta, you've also answered the age-old question of "How do you make a Maltese Cross?"

It's a joke, by the way!

first time i've heard that one! (aye right)

back onto the topic....the EU still has a lot of aspects which need to be addressed; the Common Agricultural policy being the main issue on that agenda since its taking up the majority of EU funds to prop up unsustainable French farming while also being blatently anti competitive...These funds could be put to much better use in supporting the numerous NGO's which are doing fantastic work accross Europe.

On the other hand, i think the British rebate needs to be addressed too; its simply unfair.

I think many in the UK are exposed to an excessive amount of anti EU propaganda; highlighting the red tape and inefficiencies of the union while ignoring the help which it gives to tourism projects as well as the massive strides it has helped in improving legislation.

Another reason i'm for more closer ties with Europe is the recent worrying trends in the UK's foriegn policy. Blindly and blatently supporting the US is not advisable if one has the faint (and probably misguided) hope of one day achieving peace in this world. Therefore i feel the only way in which a responsible foriegn policy could be achieved is if these powers are devolved to the EU under a common foriegn minister.

we'd be better out of it altogether. So 1 less. Us.

Would we. Surely the impact on trade and industry in this country would be catastrophic?

Commander Harris
Would we. Surely the impact on trade and industry in this country would be catastrophic?

as a trading block it makes sense but that is no longer what we have. We have the beginnings of a federal system that will, over time, have a stronger and stronger central government with the individual states losing more and more control over their own affairs.

surely there is a way where we can deal with our neighbours without the total integration that is clearly now the plan.

as a trading block it makes sense but that is no longer what we have. We have the beginnings of a federal system that will, over time, have a stronger and stronger central government with the individual states losing more and more control over their own affairs.

surely there is a way where we can deal with our neighbours without the total integration that is clearly now the plan.

It's back to where you are when you urinate.

I also doubt that all the other members of the EU want complete integration either (Netherlands, Denmark, France even!)

The EU agenda and infrastructure was already set long before the UK joined. Reining it in when we joined would have been impossible, let alone now. If we have to be part of it at least we've got a veto over certain things.

The EU is an ill-conceived monster that is now completely out of control. Any positive aspects of it could have been achieved by simply creating a free trade zone, and it should never have been extended into areas that should be none of its business.

Yes, the Little Scotlander is alive and well and living in ........ Beam me up FFS, Scottie!

Archived