Sports Personality of the Year 2012.

Angry Haggis

I'm going to admit something, i don't know the lad and i might have been a bit harsh on him, i don't even think he is that bad. :curtain:

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like some folk want next years winner to be batshit crazy and turn up at the awards with toy cars glued to the bottom of his shoes and giving his victory speach in the form of a gangster rap.

dennis4.jpg

Also, no lawson post

:what:

Well, in the spirit of broken clocks showing the right time twice a day, even I'm off Kickback occasionally...

Pleased for Wiggo. In the greatest year British sport has probably ever known, you can't argue with what he did, which was just monumental: the Tour de France is as demanding a sporting event as exists on planet Earth, yet he made history - and unlike some of his predecessors, he did it cleanly. He's great for cycling. To follow that up with another gold medal in his home Games is just, well, special.

I do have one tiny - and believe me, it is only tiny - quibble with him winning this though. That is: extraordinary though his achievements were, he couldn't have possibly won Le Tour without his team, and in particular, Chris Froome. Were it not for team orders, would Wiggins have won the race? An awful lot of people in the sport think he wouldn't - and to me, the flaw here is akin to when certain F1 drivers would win the world title because their teammate was ordered to play second fiddle to them, instead of racing them; but racing them fair and square is what sport's supposed to be about, isn't it?

Beyond that, Ennis, with an entire nation on her shoulders, came through just as magnificently as Cathy Freeman did in Sydney, and is probably our greatest female athlete ever; while third place for Murray is about right. At last, he's got that elephantine, Sisyphean boulder off his back, and has the love of much of the British public too - but he needs to win Wimbledon if he's to win this one day. Regardless, his contest with Djokovic should be something to behold throughout next year.

Spare a thought for Mo Farah though. To me, he was one half of the image of the Olympic Games, and winning the 5000m/10000m double at the greatest show on Earth is simply a gargantuan feat. Great, unbelievably down to earth guy too; but then, all the contenders are great ambassadors of British sport. In any other year, Mo would probably have won this; instead, he finished a distant fourth. Mercy.

So I'll finish by paying homage to him and reproducing that image I mentioned. Rightly or wrongly, his achievements are those I'll remember from this year more than any other individual's: I'll always associate Sydney with Denise Lewis, Athens with Kelly Holmes, Beijing with Chris Hoy... and London with Mohammed Farah. Though to be fair, the chap he's pictured with has got a wee bit of potential too. :)

mo-farah-and-usain-bolt-004.jpeg

Well, in the spirit of broken clocks showing the right time twice a day, even I'm off Kickback occasionally...

Pleased for Wiggo. In the greatest year British sport has probably ever known, you can't argue with what he did, which was just monumental: the Tour de France is as demanding a sporting event as exists on planet Earth, yet he made history - and unlike some of his predecessors, he did it cleanly. He's great for cycling. To follow that up with another gold medal in his home Games is just, well, special.

I do have one tiny - and believe me, it is only tiny - quibble with him winning this though. That is: extraordinary though his achievements were, he couldn't have possibly won Le Tour without his team, and in particular, Chris Froome. Were it not for team orders, would Wiggins have won the race? An awful lot of people in the sport think he wouldn't - and to me, the flaw here is akin to when certain F1 drivers would win the world title because their teammate was ordered to play second fiddle to them, instead of racing them; but racing them fair and square is what sport's supposed to be about, isn't it?

Beyond that, Ennis, with an entire nation on her shoulders, came through just as magnificently as Cathy Freeman did in Sydney, and is probably our greatest female athlete ever; while third place for Murray is about right. At last, he's got that elephantine, Sisyphean boulder off his back, and has the love of much of the British public too - but he needs to win Wimbledon if he's to win this one day. Regardless, his contest with Djokovic should be something to behold throughout next year.

Spare a thought for Mo Farah though. To me, he was one half of the image of the Olympic Games, and winning the 5000m/10000m double at the greatest show on Earth is simply a gargantuan feat. Great, unbelievably down to earth guy too; but then, all the contenders are great ambassadors of British sport. In any other year, Mo would probably have won this; instead, he finished a distant fourth. Mercy.

So I'll finish by paying homage to him and reproducing that image I mentioned. Rightly or wrongly, his achievements are those I'll remember from this year more than any other individual's: I'll always associate Sydney with Denise Lewis, Athens with Kelly Holmes, Beijing with Chris Hoy... and London with Mohammed Farah. Though to be fair, the chap he's pictured with has got a wee bit of potential too. :)

did-not-read-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2350.gif

only kidding, good post mate :thumbsup:

I doubt Froome would have won it if he was allowed to continue alone up that mountain.

Wiggins destroyed everyone in the time trials.

I doubt Froome would have won it if he was allowed to continue alone up that mountain.

Wiggins destroyed everyone in the time trials.

unbeaten for the season in time trialing i think

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The thing with cycling is that it is both a team and individual sport at the same time. You can't compare it to any other sport.

While Froome is clearly capable of winning the tour, there is no doubt for me that Wiggo was the best rider last year, and that's why he pissed the hardest sporting event there is.

Generic Username

The thing with cycling is that it is both a team and individual sport at the same time. You can't compare it to any other sport.

While Froome is clearly capable of winning the tour, there is no doubt for me that Wiggo was the best rider last year, and that's why he pissed the hardest sporting event there is.

No as good as tennis though eh.

Guest C00l K1d

It's difficult to call it the hardest sporting event tbh.

Different sports take different types of skills, i wouldn't say TDF is the hardest but it's definitely up there.

Or you're just looking to wind up kemble :laugh: :laugh:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Different sports take different types of skills, i wouldn't say TDF is the hardest but it's definitely up there.

Or you're just looking to wind up kemble :laugh: :laugh:

Is there anything harder than 6 hours a day up mountains for 3 weeks with a constant risk of crashing and breaking your body?! The mental toughness as well as skill (and luck) that takes is scary.

Yet to see anything harder to win.

Agree with most of this Shaun but I'm disgusted that you list Ennis above the great Tessa Sanderson as the greatest female athlete..... ;)

Guest C00l K1d

Is there anything harder than 6 hours a day up mountains for 3 weeks with a constant risk of crashing and breaking your body?! The mental toughness as well as skill (and luck) that takes is scary.

Imo mastering 8 different events like Ennis done is a harder thing to do.

Wiggins is obviously built solely to cycle, whereas athletes like Ennis need to train (and be good at) a mixture of events.

I'm not taking it away from Wiggins, he defo deserved to win it, but i think Ennis performed in a harder event(s).

No matter who won it, it was a massively great year for british athletes and something we can all be proud of :)

2175 miles in 23 days. In contrast, I cycled 3miles to work one day last summer and nearly died. What they do is ridic. Especially the uphill sections.

Over the three weeks the riders need between 6000 and 8000 calories a day food intake Of which 50% has to be taken when you are actually riding the bike. Otherwise you couldn't finish it as you would be so far into calorie deficit. The rest has to be taken in a short 5 or 6 hour window after the stage. The entire physiology of the riders bodies change during the duration of the race in terms of hormones and muscle structure. You can see the riders losing weight as the race goes on. Each stage is tougher in that way than a marathon, and even onlookers in the high mountain stages start to get signs of altitude sickness, imagine climbing that same mountain on a bike for over an hour at 20kph up 10% gradients.

Ironically my favourite book about the TDF is called A Race For Madmen.

Doesn't anybody here know their latin?

Twice now people have said Ennis did 8 events.

She did seven otherwise it would be called the octathalon not the heptathalon.

I presumed the eighth event was in looking banging.

Guest C00l K1d

Over the three weeks the riders need between 6000 and 8000 calories a day food intake Of which 50% has to be taken when you are actually riding the bike. Otherwise you couldn't finish it as you would be so far into calorie deficit. The rest has to be taken in a short 5 or 6 hour window after the stage. The entire physiology of the riders bodies change during the duration of the race in terms of hormones and muscle structure. You can see the riders losing weight as the race goes on. Each stage is tougher in that way than a marathon, and even onlookers in the high mountain stages start to get signs of altitude sickness, imagine climbing that same mountain on a bike for over an hour at 20kph up 10% gradients.

Ironically my favourite book about the TDF is called A Race For Madmen.

Suppose when you put it like that.

As i said, not trying to take it away from wiggins in any way and he is the rightful winner of this years SPOTY.

It's quite impressive that this year is sparking quite a bit of debate though, norrmally there is a winner without any surprises really.

Hept is Greek for seven. It's sept in latin.

Sorry for being a dick. I really am.

Hept is Greek for seven. It's sept in latin.

Sorry for being a dick. I really am.

Greek , latin pah.

I was desperately trying to remember which it was so I just went for a shot in the dark. Obviously it is greek with it being the Olympics and all that.

Dick :11300:

I P Knightley

2175 miles in 23 days. In contrast, I cycled 3miles to work one day last summer and nearly died. What they do is ridic. Especially the uphill sections.

...which draws attention to the fact that half of it is downhill ;)

So, in short, Wiggo won two events, 50% of which were a complete piece of piss.

I presumed the eighth event was in looking banging.

Leading half the nation in a bout of synchronised forearm exercise.

...which draws attention to the fact that half of it is downhill ;)

So, in short, Wiggo won two events, 50% of which were a complete piece of piss.

Course the downhill sections are! Pretty sure everyone could hurtle down the side of a wet and windy mountain at 65-70 mph on a bike that weighs 7kg on 22mm wide wheels!

Fastest I have ever been on a road bike descent was 38mph and I was terrified!!

Archived