Where's Wally?

Vlad-Stupid

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was only joking. :lol:

I can't mind what the story was tbh.

I went on a glass bottom boat trip at night in Torquay. That was it.

I'll not be back that's for sure.

Thanks Alan :(

I went on a glass bottom boat trip at night in Torquay. That was it.

I'll not be back that's for sure.

Thanks Alan :(

:lol:

Just think how many best poster awards you'd have won if you packed in the drink years ago.

Just think how many best poster awards you'd have won if you packed in the drink years ago.

Hold on. I've no packed in the drink. The shifts I'm doing are murder that's all.

Finish up the 28th though :jjyay:

Stick then!

So when you coming back from Uruguay? Genuine question I'm honestly not ripping the pish.

I have absolutely no idea.

Winters here are grim and miserable like you wouldn't believe: compared with the summer, it's like two diametrically opposite countries. Uruguayan winters are, I discovered, the main reason the people are known all over the world for their melancholy and passivity.

Compounding this, when I first arrived, I idiotically gave myself a schedule of 35 hours teaching each week all over the city (not including 10-15 hours' preparation, and a further 15-20 hours editing). This left me exhausted, depressed, and *this* close to calling it quits and heading back home in July.

Whereupon, thank heavens, I saw sense, had a change of heart, and was able to reduce my teaching schedule to about half of what it was. Since then, it's been very tight financially, but great overall - and now I can see myself staying here for the medium or even long term. 5 years? 10 years? For good? All very possible at this stage.

The only two things which could put the kybosh on that are:

1. South America goes mental politically a la the 1970s (highly, highly unlikely)

2. Argentina has another financial collapse. That one's rather more likely; and unfortunately, when Argentina sneezes, Uruguay catches a cold.

Winters here are grim and miserable like you wouldn't believe: compared with the summer, it's like two diametrically opposite countries. Uruguayan winters are, I discovered, the main reason the people are known all over the world for their melancholy and passivity.

Compounding this, I'd idiotically given myself a schedule of 35 hours teaching each week all over the city (not including 10-15 hours' preparation, and a further 15-20 hours editing). This left me exhausted, depressed, and *this* close to calling it quits and heading back home in July,

Whereupon, thank heavens, I saw sense, had a change of heart, and was able to reduce my teaching schedule to about half of what it was. Since then, it's been very tight financially, but great overall - and now I can see myself staying here for the medium or even long term. 5 years? 10 years? For good? All very possible at this stage.

1. South America goes mental politically a la the 1970s (highly, highly unlikely)

2. Argentina has another financial collapse. That one's rather more likely; and unfortunately, when Argentina sneezes, Uruguay catches a cold.

I like how your take into account global macro-economic patterns into your life-changing decisions as well as Uly and AP ripping you football forum. :cyclist:

You forgot option 3 shaun

Jesus posts something on JKB and next thing your back in your Norwich bedsit stealing your neeburs wifi

I like how your take into account global macro-economic patterns into your life-changing decisions as well as Uly and AP ripping you football forum. :cyclist:

I like to have all options covered, Scott. :)

Shaun admit it, my travel photaes influenced your decision too. :daisy:

'Fraid not old thing.

Compounding this, when I first arrived, I idiotically gave myself a schedule of 35 hours teaching each week all over the city (not including 10-15 hours' preparation, and a further 15-20 hours editing). This left me exhausted, depressed, and *this* close to calling it quits and heading back home in July,

Hope it works out for you :thumbsup:

Good question VS. id have thought that going to uraguay for the football, you be there as much as possible, at as many teams as possible. But, isnt there quite a serious hooligan/violence problem in south american soccer? Bit dangerous for our lawson no?

Another genuine question Shaun, you takin in many games of football?

I refuse to believe Shaun actually goes into a stadium to watch a game.

I mean, how could he post on 17 different forums analysing the game at the same time?

Another genuine question Shaun, you takin in many games of football?

Not as many as I should be!

The problem's crowd violence. That makes watching Penarol or Nacional extremely fraught for anyone with a foreign accent: many families here used to go every other weekend, but have stopped because it's just far too dangerous, and the authorities are doing next to nothing about it.

The national team is a different story though; as, to an extent, are my local club Defensor (the third force and therefore Hearts of Uruguay). Now that I'm settled here, 2013'll be about getting to far many more Defensor games; taking in the superclasico with friends who'll be able to keep me safe; and watching La Celeste toil and suffer their way towards Brazil. The Argentina game with which Uruguay finish their qualifying campaign in October will be an absolute must; so will several games prior to that. Uruguay are clinically incapable of doing anything the easy way, and they'll be keeping everyone's hearts in their mouths until that last game.

Right without going into great detail Shaun sent me scanned images of documentation related to his residency in Uruguay (I also now know that his middle name isn't actually dot) that he received in the summer

I've also spent a good 10 minutes doing some googling, the forms appear to be legit and there is nothing on the interweb that I can find where Shaun could have doctored it to make up what he sent me

While it doesn't prove that he's in Uruguay right now for me he must have been there this year so he hasn't lied about that so why would he lie now

Sorry folks

Hold on, are folk still actually bothered if hes there or not? :lol:

Like going to loads of bother and that? Jeezo

Not as many as I should be!

The problem's crowd violence. That makes watching Penarol or Nacional extremely fraught for anyone with a foreign accent: many families here used to go every other weekend, but have stopped because it's just far too dangerous, and the authorities are doing next to nothing about it.

The national team is a different story though; as, to an extent, are my local club Defensor (the third force and therefore Hearts of Uruguay). Now that I'm settled here, 2013'll be about getting to far many more Defensor games; taking in the superclasico with friends who'll be able to keep me safe; and watching La Celeste toil and suffer their way towards Brazil. The Argentina game with which Uruguay finish their qualifying campaign in October will be an absolute must; so will several games prior to that. Uruguay are clinically incapable of doing anything the easy way, and they'll be keeping everyone's hearts in their mouths until that last game.

Probably best to join one of their casual mobs just to be on the safe side :thumbsup:

Right without going into great detail Shaun sent me scanned images of documentation related to his residency in Uruguay (I also now know that his middle name isn't actually dot) that he received in the summer

I've also spent a good 10 minutes doing some googling, the forms appear to be legit and there is nothing on the interweb that I can find where Shaun could have doctored it to make up what he sent me

While it doesn't prove that he's in Uruguay right now for me he must have been there this year so he hasn't lied about that so why would he lie now

Sorry folks

I like the tinge of dissapointment in Malky's post. :10900:

I like the tinge of dissapointment in Malky's post. :10900:

Me too actually. :lol:

5-1 photo with a student, if at all possible, to follow. I can't promise that because, well, it's almost Christmas, so I won't have many chances. :)

Well I do love a bit of drama on a Friday night :lol:

You should have come out and stated they'd clearly been photoshopped then :lol:

Shaun. Would you recommend the Punta Carretas shopping centre to people in your area?

I would - not least because I live on the same street. :) Problem is, it's ******* expensive. :sweat:

There's a GAP that's just opened there, btw. I'm not a fan of that company, but at least it'll provide a bit of variety.

Montevideo Shopping, over in the plushest areas of Pocitos (and next to a modern complex called, for some odd reason, the World Trade Center), has more: its finest point being Tienda Inglesa, the best supermarket in Uruguay.

I would - not least because I live on the same street. :) Problem is, it's ******* expensive. :sweat:

There's a GAP that's just opened there, btw. I'm not a fan of that company, but at least it'll provide a bit of variety.

Montevideo Shopping, over in the plushest areas of Pocitos (and next to a modern complex called, for some odd reason, the World Trade Center), has more: its finest point being Tienda Inglesa, the best supermarket in Uruguay.

How much is it a pint?

Archived