Hearts v Hibs tonight

swiftboy

While we have a number of players excelling at under-15 & under-17s level Hibs are apparently completely bare at these age levels. It seems they took their eye of the ball after all their successes of the last few years. Can't wait for the next couple of years when we can go on and on and on about our great youth for a change.

Who know's, our youth might actually accomplish something more meaningful. You know, like better than one 3rd place finish and a diddy cup.

Charlie-Brown
It appears that each team in our youth system keeps being better than the previous, makes you wonder if the improvements done to the system of teaching players at a young age is working wonders.

As for a team coming through like the players you mention, I can hope so however having not seen the U17 team as a whole I couldn't common on them as a whole but having seen players like Thomson, Deland, Balatoni and Robinson play before I think there is defenatly an improved quality in the team. Wonder if the U17 team will go to the milk cup this year or will it be a hybrid U17/U19 team. THough there were thoughts that the 87/88 team which included Elliot, J THomson, Mole and Driver was a special team as they won the milk cup. Think we brought through some good players, some who have not made their early promise and others who have gone. But fingers crossed for the U17's

I am fairly certain there is a lot of theory & systematic training going into the development of the academy kids - the U19's have some very good players and play nice football - the U17's seemed to be even more technically proficient as a whole and everything was passing, passing, passing they almost never went long - they were also able to compete physically when necessary, I haven't seen them personally but I understand the U15 group are very strong too and haven't lost any of their youth initiative matches in a couple of years.....

I don't think you would ever get more than half a team come through at any one time and that would be very exceptional but certainly from last nite Balatoni, Deland, D.Thomson, McCallion, Wood, Robinson & Love all have enough quality to make it through to first team level - how they do I suppose depends on what chances they get, who they are competing with for their place, and obviously their form but there is certainly plenty promise in that group. I didn't see him as I had to leave after about an hour but I believe Pender also did very well and helped swing the game back in Hearts favour.

jamboinglasgow
While we have a number of players excelling at under-15 & under-17s level Hibs are apparently completely bare at these age levels. It seems they took their eye of the ball after all their successes of the last few years. Can't wait for the next couple of years when we can go on and on and on about our great youth for a change.

Who know's, our youth might actually accomplish something more meaningful. You know, like better than one 3rd place finish and a diddy cup.

It is obvious when you look at the Scottish youth levels, they have no one below the under 19 level playing in the teams. For a team which has been seen as a major creater of promising Scottish youth players this is worrying (Hearts on the otherhand have an increasing number, they are ahead of Celtic though way behind Rangers who seem to excel at providing people, though my rangers flatmate said that the last player brought through the academy and into the first team is Charlie Adam and he is 22.)

Think Hibs suffered badly with John Park leaving, he could spot talent however they had no real way of continuning this good trend. The fact is also for all the money put into a decent (lets not kid our selves that it isn't however ours is better) training center but not real had any real provisions to teach the youth at it. Think they got complaicent with the youth coming through that they will suffer from it after the last crop of U19's go through.

jamboinglasgow
I am fairly certain there is a lot of theory & systematic training going into the development of the academy kids - the U19's have some very good players and play nice football - the U17's seemed to be even more technically proficient as a whole and everything was passing, passing, passing they almost never went long - they were also able to compete physically when necessary, I haven't seen them personally but I understand the U15 group are very strong too and haven't lost any of their youth initiative matches in a couple of years.....

I don't think you would ever get more than half a team come through at any one time and that would be very exceptional but certainly from last nite Balatoni, Deland, D.Thomson, McCallion, Wood, Robinson & Love all have enough quality to make it through to first team level - how they do I suppose depends on what chances they get, who they are competing with for their place, and obviously their form but there is certainly plenty promise in that group. I didn't see him as I had to leave after about an hour but I believe Pender also did very well and helped swing the game back in Hearts favour.

Thats good news that the U17's are very technically proficient, think teaching them these keys parts will help develop young players that will do Hearts and Scotland proud.

I agree you will never get more than half a team coming through but if we got at least 3 from the list of people you put then it should be considered a great success. Think when moving into the U19, the U17's can be complimented by some foregin players, figures similar to Ryan McGowen (although his brother must be able to play in U19's and possibly U17's, sure he is either 16 or 17.) or even a player with great technical abilty (and hopefully with a great attitude unlike certain players who have come over.)

ScottishSandstorm

Did Robert Adam play? Was he the other CB or at least on the bench?

Charlie-Brown
Did Robert Adam play? Was he the other CB or at least on the bench?

If I knew what he looked like SS then maybe I could tell you - or maybe someone else knows? Balatoni's defensive partner was a big lad with a shaved head - quite a decent centre half & good with his feet - but I don't recall if the other boys shouted his name or I don't remember it if they did.

chickalittle
If I knew what he looked like SS then maybe I could tell you - or maybe someone else knows? Balatoni's defensive partner was a big lad with a shaved head - quite a decent centre half & good with his feet - but I don't recall if the other boys shouted his name or I don't remember it if they did.

The other centre half was Euan Grant.

chickalittle

[ Wonder if the U17 team will go to the milk cup this year or will it be a hybrid U17/U19 team. THough there were thoughts that the 87/88 team which included Elliot, J THomson, Mole and Driver was a special team as they won the milk cup. Think we brought through some good players, some who have not made their early promise and others who have gone. But fingers crossed for the U17's

Hearts normally put an U17 team in for the milk cup. U17 Full timers such as Love, Thomson,Thomson,Woods, Balatoni etc will still be eligible for this years tournament again though.

Is there any youf games this weekend? Taken the bird out on Saturday night so can really do as I please all weekend.

Cheers.

Archived