Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

I hear a 28 yo woman arrested over theft of referendum materials in East lothian .

Think it's in the Scotsman .

Yeah http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/woman-arrested-over-referendum-ballot-theft-claims-1-3601057

Interesting...

The Facebook rumour (*cough cough*) is that it's a SNP member. There's a video of her handing them into the police.

Whoever she is I hope they throw the book at her

ToadKiller Dog

Yeah http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/woman-arrested-over-referendum-ballot-theft-claims-1-3601057

Interesting...

The Facebook rumour (*cough cough*) is that it's a SNP member. There's a video of her handing them into the police.

Whoever she is I hope they throw the book at her

Read a bit on the Internet her and her friends claiming that she was Handed them in a bag at the edinburgh rally after the vote .

When she handed them into Dalkeith police was told to go home and wait . Two police in an unmarked car then took her a way in cuffs to question her .

Something funny going on

As I said at the time its more an argument for diversification of what these yards build rather than which government orders the boats.

Again its two cheeks of the same arse. The Scottish Government ordered ferrys for Calmac from abroad rather than Fergusons. People lost their jobs and the business folded. Now a backer owns it they hand out contracts as if the hypocrisy never happened.

Two cheeks, same arse.

Damned if you save public money by getting ships built abroad.

Damned if you spend public money to subsidise a few jobs building pricey ships at home.

Cannae win sometimes.

The SNP would prefer to spend on their new Space Station at Prestwick.

Space ports in Britain sounds a bit Gerry Anderson Captain Scarlett or Dan Dare till you hear the name Prestwick...

In the 1960s the British government chose Australia to launch it's rockets due to fears launches in England, Wales or Southern Scotland would see debris rain down on Edinburgh, Fife, Aberdeen and the North Sea platforms. Things you learn at a school trip to East Fortune..

MOD confirmed it's mince

"The Ministry of Defence has insisted it has no plans to change the policy of only building warships in the UK, despite reports that the head of the Royal Navy has suggested work could be done abroad."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/mod-insists-no-plans-to-change-plans-to-build-warships-in-uk.1415818689

The SNP are taking losing the vote about as well as Hibs took getting stuffed in the cup final in 2012.

Double whammy in most cases. Proper Hearts men were on a double.

Prior to the referendum the Nats said they would accept the result and move to reconcile the country.

Reality is different and the divisiveness continues.

Maybe she should move to Dundee and declare Dundee independent. I would vote for that to get rid of them.

[modedit]

http://blogs.spectat...-do-to-stop-it/

More good stuff from Massie on the Neverendum

"Which is one more reason why, far from settling the Scottish Question, the referendum looks like becoming the Neverendum. Until, that is, the Nationalists win. That result will be permanent. Because the rules for one side are not the same as the rules applying to the other. This may be unfair but it?s just the way it is."

http://blogs.spectat...-do-to-stop-it/

More good stuff from Massie on the Neverendum

"Which is one more reason why, far from settling the Scottish Question, the referendum looks like becoming the Neverendum. Until, that is, the Nationalists win. That result will be permanent. Because the rules for one side are not the same as the rules applying to the other. This may be unfair but it?s just the way it is."

Quote from the article

The Nationalists have a plan for what comes next and it is quite evidently the case that Unionists do not.

That, in a nutshell, is why the question drags on. You can't blame the SNP for continuing to support and advance the argument for independence. It's what they do. It's up to the Unionists to make the Union attractive. Polls suggest that the Scottish electorate are alienated from Westminster.

No won the referendum, but it never put it to bed.

It's the usual drivel again. If the people of Scotland are bothered about the SNP continuing to campaign for independence, they can very easily show them the error of their ways through the ballot box.

The very idea of the inevitable neverendum is bollocks. Quebec hasn't had a third referendum and their second was nearly twenty years ago, because the nationalists there have not managed to persuade people and change minds. That's how you put things back in the box - by getting to a point where the nationalists are unlikely to win elections or referendums. Until then, it's a live issue because the people want it to remain so.

Edited by Socrates

It's the usual drivel again. If the people of Scotland are bothered about the SNP continuing to campaign for independence, they can very easily show them the error of their ways through the ballot box.

The very idea of the inevitable neverendum is bollocks. Quebec hasn't had a third referendum and their second was nearly twenty years ago, because the nationalists there have not managed to persuade people and change minds. That's how you put things back in the box - by getting to a point where the nationalists are unlikely to win elections or referendums. Until then, it's a live issue because the people want it to remain so.

The only problem with your argument is that Quebec was stunted for a decade by electing separatist governments and this looks like it is going to happen here. if the 42.7% all vote SNP we will have an SNP government. there is nothing the other can do about it. We all have different views on how this country should be governed. I don't agree with labour, SNP, conservatives or the greens and even if I was able to convince half of the voters from these three parties to support mine it won't make a difference.

My main fear is we will continue to vote for a party that has no desire or ability to govern this country and as a result will continue to limp along like we have for the past 5 years but hey it is OK because at least we aren't England and vote for the tories.

The only problem with your argument is that Quebec was stunted for a decade by electing separatist governments and this looks like it is going to happen here. if the 42.7% all vote SNP we will have an SNP government. there is nothing the other can do about it. We all have different views on how this country should be governed. I don't agree with labour, SNP, conservatives or the greens and even if I was able to convince half of the voters from these three parties to support mine it won't make a difference.

My main fear is we will continue to vote for a party that has no desire or ability to govern this country and as a result will continue to limp along like we have for the past 5 years but hey it is OK because at least we aren't England and vote for the tories.

Whether Quebec was stunted by electing secessionist governments or not is kind of irrelevant. You don't like the SNP. That's fine, but if enough other people do, you're out of luck. That's democracy, which is my whole point. If you don't want to talk about independence any more, then persuade enough other people that you are right, and then the SNP won't win any elections and there won't be any more referendums. While almost half the population wants to secede, then the independence issue isn't going to go away.

jambos are go!

Whether Quebec was stunted by electing secessionist governments or not is kind of irrelevant. You don't like the SNP. That's fine, but if enough other people do, you're out of luck. That's democracy, which is my whole point. If you don't want to talk about independence any more, then persuade enough other people that you are right, and then the SNP won't win any elections and there won't be any more referendums. While almost half the population wants to secede, then the independence issue isn't going to go away.

Whith a decisive majority of the electorate supporting the Union the secessionists are going nowhere. The referendum proved that. Ask instead you secessonists why the Union is so much more popular than Independence. Then if you cant help the devolution process get out of the way and let clear majority opinion get on with it. Edited by jambos are go!

The thing is we have persuaded enough people the independence isn't worth it. The minority won't get over the fact they lost. My point is that we need an exchange of ideas and proper debate if we are going to bring about any change in the country. Continuing to elect a party based on the fact that they want independence (which will not happen in a generation or even lifetime) isn't going to solve anything.

Whith a decisive majority of the electorate supporting the Union the secessionists are going nowhere. The referendum proved that. Ask instead you secessonists why the Union is so much more popular than Independence. Then if you cant help the devolution process get out of the way and let clear majority opinion get on with it.

That's the great thing about democracy. The people get to decide whether you're right or not. The extent to which you seem to be scared of that is surprising.

The thing is we have persuaded enough people the independence isn't worth it. The minority won't get over the fact they lost. My point is that we need an exchange of ideas and proper debate if we are going to bring about any change in the country. Continuing to elect a party based on the fact that they want independence (which will not happen in a generation or even lifetime) isn't going to solve anything.

Independence will happen if and when the majority of the population want it. It's that simple.

Accepting that you lost doesn't mean that you give up the right to try and persuade people that you are right, and if you manage to persuade enough people, then you can revisit things again. Just like in 1979 when the first devolution referendum failed to pass, but people kept campaigning on the issue until they persuaded the vast majority of the Scottish people that they were right. Or that we've had plenty of people campaigning to leave Europe ever since we had a referendum on that in the 70s.

Edited by Socrates

jambos are go!

That's the great thing about democracy. The people get to decide whether you're right or not. The extent to which you seem to be scared of that is surprising.

And the people decided the secessionists were not right decisively. I was not too scared to argue that the separists had no chance and I was right.

Independence will happen if and when the majority of the population want it. It's that simple.

Accepting that you lost doesn't mean that you give up the right to try and persuade people that you are right, and if you manage to persuade enough people, then you can revisit things again. Just like in 1979 when the first devolution referendum failed to pass, but people kept campaigning on the issue until they persuaded the vast majority of the Scottish people that they were right. Or that we've had plenty of people campaigning to leave Europe ever since we had a referendum on that in the 70s.

Brave enough to voice the opinion that Yes had no chance. And I was spot on in a democratic referendum. Yes folk are too scared to admit they not only lost the referendum but the arguement. Edited by jambos are go!

Brave enough to voice the opinion that Yes had no chance. And I was spot on in a democratic referendum. Yes folk are too scared to admit they not only lost the referendum but the arguement.

If you're so confident in that, I really don't get why you care that some people want to keep campaigning for independence, because they'll surely get gubbed at the polls. It seems to me that some of the No outrage that people continue to use their democratic right to campaign for independence is actually because they're worried that they might lose if there is another referendum.

jambos are go!

If you're so confident in that, I really don't get why you care that some people want to keep campaigning for independence, because they'll surely get gubbed at the polls. It seems to me that some of the No outrage that people continue to use their democratic right to campaign for independence is actually because they're worried that they might lose if there is another referendum.

where did I say thst people should not keep campaigning for independence? I said thst they should accept that they fought a losing battle and should accept the result and let majority opinion get on with it in negotiating a new devolution settlement.

And what exactly did I say I was so confident in anywhere in my retort?

Edited by jambos are go!

The snps new bill of having a state appointed guardian for EVERY child under the age of 18 appears to be making some snps voters think again.

That is a ludicrous piece of legislation. Shows how amateur the SNP really are.

That is a ludicrous piece of legislation. Shows how amateur the SNP really are.

It is indeed. There has however been a legal challenge and the court hearing was last week.

Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Edited by GBJambo

However, the Bloc Qu?b?cois did run a provincial election a few years ago saying vote for us is a vote for separation. They lost big time to the Liberals.

Sturgeon promises no pact with Tories but Labour could be possible with renewal of Trident as a bargaining chip.

Just it's removal from Scottish waters. I'd have an ounce of respect for the position if it was to remove them altogether.

But it won't happen. The SNP will peddle their 'bairns before bombs' and use it as a stick to beat WM with.

Give us a break. Use your powers to improve the lives of the Scots.

Just it's removal from Scottish waters. I'd have an ounce of respect for the position if it was to remove them altogether.

But it won't happen. The SNP will peddle their 'bairns before bombs' and use it as a stick to beat WM with.

Give us a break. Use your powers to improve the lives of the Scots.

I've little time for the SNP. But she's moving them left before Labour has a new leader (well only just to the left, not the left that some here think).

To me they always set the bar impossibly high. She's banging the disarmament drum again (fair enough) but why is that THE red line? How about saying - we'll back a Labour government if we get tax concessions? Or to have control of the Scottish licence fee devolved? Or drugs policy? Things that will make a difference to Scottish peoples lives in some way. Tangible effects mean more than symbolic ones.

As you say if they move trident it's still there and being paid for. Abolition of trident would be more prudent and militarily needed than shifti it to Devonport. They also never sufficiently answer the question on the nuclear technician and supply work in and around Faslane that will go and follow trident should the boats go. So unemployment and a deprivation of the local economy follows as the defence footprint shrinks and the money with it flows elsewhere.

To me it's grandstanding for the 45ers. Along with the 'right to hold a referendum whenever they want' it's a total slap in the face to no voters. Essentially as Massie said they don't need to accept the result. They'll just keep going on about it till it comes. And, yes while Unionists and No voters may have won they did fail to keep the result a low 30% to claim total victory but that's no justification for the SNP and 45 movement to bash on about this for years to come and stifle devolved politics in the constitutional debate further.

Whatever the thoughts of others are is for them. The fact it was a focus on nukes and constitutional powers again covered the fact that they dropped the universal childcare commitment and a couple of others from the white paper under the smokescreen. Maybe she should've made devolving NI alongside Income tax in full a precondition of working with parties I future to allow the transformative power of fre child care for all before trident to fulfil that commitment... Or maybe not,

However, the Bloc Qu?b?cois did run a provincial election a few years ago saying vote for us is a vote for separation. They lost big time to the Liberals.

Exactly. If you can't get enough people to support you, then there is no neverendum. In Quebec, the secessionists have failed to build support, and the current situation seems to be one where the independence issue is relatively settled. 

Exactly. If you can't get enough people to support you, then there is no neverendum. In Quebec, the secessionists have failed to build support, and the current situation seems to be one where the independence issue is relatively settled.

It's not that they've failed to win support. They've been a government more than not there. The issue is that every time they raise the question of secession or independence or sovereignty status within Canada they get a serious beating. So technically you could say the BQ have offered this a lot and only on two occasions they've managed to hold one, however, they still promise it. Resulting in a never-ending focus on the idea rather than health and social care etc.

Here, the SNP and Sturgeon may be riding high right now, but they won't get a lot of folk in the 55% (to use pejorative phrasing) to back them if this focus and talk of a second referendum is in the air. She hasn't ruled it out of the 2016 election manifesto. But I'll hazard a guess and say they'll stick with Smith proposals and outcomes rather than face another referendum defeat so soon after.

Now that Nicola Sturgeon is reheating the White Paper policy on childcare (which apparently used to require independence to stop 'Westminster' draining all that lovely tax revenue from the hardworking Scots taking in each others washing) - I wonder if they've done any economic modelling this time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26877767

It's not that they've failed to win support. They've been a government more than not there. The issue is that every time they raise the question of secession or independence or sovereignty status within Canada they get a serious beating. So technically you could say the BQ have offered this a lot and only on two occasions they've managed to hold one, however, they still promise it. Resulting in a never-ending focus on the idea rather than health and social care etc.

Here, the SNP and Sturgeon may be riding high right now, but they won't get a lot of folk in the 55% (to use pejorative phrasing) to back them if this focus and talk of a second referendum is in the air. She hasn't ruled it out of the 2016 election manifesto. But I'll hazard a guess and say they'll stick with Smith proposals and outcomes rather than face another referendum defeat so soon after.

I think they've not really come close to another referendum since 1995. The racist comments following on from their defeat then certainly didn't help, but they haven't managed to build further support or even hang on to what they already had. Look, it's unrealistic to expect everyone who is pro-independence to pack up their tents and give up, but you only have the so-called neverendum situation if the people continue to elect governments that will try and take forward independence. If the people as a whole don't want to talk about independence, then the politicians will have to go along with that.

Sturgeon is also not daft about this - her comments generally have been much more measured than Salmond's. She knows you can't keep coming back to this endlessly, or the people will get fed up. She doesn't want to have another referendum in the short term, unless something changes radically which makes it clear that there is a significant majority in favour of independence. I think that's unlikely, but there are circumstances where views change - Tories win the next election, propped up by UKIP, referendum on Europe votes to leave, while Scotland votes to stay and whatever. That said, I think she'd love to find a way of not having a referendum in the next Holyrood manifesto. A decent result from Smith (that involves both sides making real concessions) and a Labour win UK-wide would help there.

Now that Nicola Sturgeon is reheating the White Paper policy on childcare (which apparently used to require independence to stop 'Westminster' draining all that lovely tax revenue from the hardworking Scots taking in each others washing) - I wonder if they've done any economic modelling this time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26877767

It's a good policy and something that should've happened a long time ago. Sure Start in England and Wales had positive effects straight away on women back to work after having children and in assisting working single parents into work. The fact Scottish politicians opted to pump more into university education in the early 2000s rather than into early years education is something I think shows how devolution does allow for fundamental differences and ambitions to be met by devolution.

The issue with the policy was not its lack of costing when it first came out, although that was misguided and gave the impression of a panicked SNP chucking gifts to a skeptical electorate. It was the fact that it 'could only happen with independence' which was as much of a con as any other in the referendum.

The issue now facing Nicola and John as the soon to be FM and DFM is how they pay for this. They know the budget is to shrink. It was going to happen had yes won as well due to the need for cuts in the eyes of the markets. Swinney has committed the borrowing to other things, so are we to see another policy of value robbed to pay for it or will we see them use the tax powers the SNP gave away when they shut the finance departments tax arm after assuming power in 2007? Interesting times ahead.