Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Hagar the Horrible
10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

its the equivalent of bringing terry butcher in to save you from relegation

Pat Fenlan if you want to win a cup

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

To soon for Flynn to take the step up I imagine his plan has always been after 2026 election .

He will lead the SNP at some point .

Could be Forbes v Swinney if there is a competition at all  (forbes still thinking about it )

I can see why they would go for Swinney he's a pretty neutral bland guy ,won't gain much but won't lose much ,they might just see him as short term to get through the GE .

I think that's a mistake, but they don't really have much time for say a Flynn v Forbes battle royal . 

Not sure you can even be FM if you’re not an MSP. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Suppose there's another candidate. 

Come back for Nicola 😱😆😂🤣?!?!

ToadKiller Dog
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure you can even be FM if you’re not an MSP. 

Would need a bi election to get him into holyrood with a temp FM until then ,they don't have the time and numbers to force it 

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Suppose there's another candidate. 

Could be possible only other I can think of is maybe Neil Gray

Ulysses
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

"Unity" not "Continuity" this time? Yesterday's man, IMO. 

I wonder what excuses the JKB Massive will invent for giving him fail marks if he gets the job. :whistling:

19 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

To soon for Flynn to take the step up I imagine his plan has always been after 2026 election .

He will lead the SNP at some point .

Could be Forbes v Swinney if there is a competition at all  (forbes still thinking about it )

I can see why they would go for Swinney he's a pretty neutral bland guy ,won't gain much but won't lose much ,they might just see him as short term to get through the GE .

I think that's a mistake, but they don't really have much time for say a Flynn v Forbes battle royal . 

Flynn was on with Marr on LBC a short time ago. Marr asked Flynn about Salmond's assertion that Humza was on the blower this morning to Salmond at 7am trying to save his arse. Flynn said he knew nothing of such discussions and was surprised if Salmond would be awake at such an hour...Seems pretty likely that Humza was told from powers than be (Sturgeon or proxy who presumably still run the show) any alignment with Alba wasn't an option, yet he chose to do so anyway. Poor Humza doesn't take orders too well, much like his repeated meetings with figures from the Islamic world without UK Government representation. 

SNP and Alba continuing to widen apart and the <1% of voters endorsed Scottish Greens deciding on who will be a palatable SNP leader. 

The whole thing is a rancid unedifying shitshow that highlights Scotland in the worst way possible.

Edited by Carter

15 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Genuinely had never heard of her until your post. 

Really?? I had always had the impression form your posts that you were a big advocate for women's only spaces, surely you have heard of Shona Robinson if you have paid any interest to the debate

1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Only women’s only spaces I’m interested in maintaining are the kitchen and the washer room. And, every third Friday except during Lent, the bedroom. 

Must have mixed you up with someone else, you sound like a lovely guy though 

Edited by lou

Malinga the Swinga
57 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Swinney wins, greens back in , more gender guff on the horizon …..

we need change.

not a rebranding 

It's as if the SNP have learned nothing. The greens are a toxic group who have no interest in doing right thing for 95% of Scotland. They got a pittance of a vote yet these halfwits from SNP will grant them almost anything to cling onto power.

We need an election in Scotland. SNP members and supporters derided Tory party when they got rid of Boris and brought on new pm. They are just the same as their arch enemies, no spine and no ethics.

Ulysses

33 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

its the equivalent of bringing terry butcher in to save you from relegation

Surely you mean....?

Spoiler

GettyImages-1146930786.jpg?strip=all&w=9

Dawnrazor

It's honestly unbelievable this, the total lack of quality in the UK's politicians of all parties is staggering, it's difficult to comprehend, Johnson, Truss, Starmer, Sturgeon, Yusef, Swinney FFS🤦🤦

Australis

With John Swinney being Sturgeons deputy I thought he might have been brought in and questioned on the missing £700,000.

He must know something about the missing finances if he was 2nd in command.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Would need a bi election to get him into holyrood with a temp FM until then ,they don't have the time and numbers to force it 

Could be possible only other I can think of is maybe Neil Gray

I see, nobody on tv has mentioned that today. Hes backed Swinney. 

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's as if the SNP have learned nothing. The greens are a toxic group who have no interest in doing right thing for 95% of Scotland. They got a pittance of a vote yet these halfwits from SNP will grant them almost anything to cling onto power.

We need an election in Scotland. SNP members and supporters derided Tory party when they got rid of Boris and brought on new pm. They are just the same as their arch enemies, no spine and no ethics.

Agree with your sentiments. Election is now imperative at Holyrood. Sturgeon was less than truthful regarding the background to her hastened departure and this farce over the past few days is ridiculous. 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Australis said:

With John Swinney being Sturgeons deputy I thought he might have been brought in and questioned on the missing £700,000.

I doubt Swinney knew anything. Seems like the sort of chap who doesn't know which day of the week it is, nevermind something going on behind his back. 

John Swinney, an utter failure everywhere he has served and yet he looks like being rewarded with the job of First Minister. Un****ing believable.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, lou said:

Must have mixed you up with someone else, you sound like a lovely guy though 

😆👍🏽

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's honestly unbelievable this, the total lack of quality in the UK's politicians of all parties is staggering, it's difficult to comprehend, Johnson, Truss, Starmer, Sturgeon, Yusef, Swinney FFS🤦🤦

Spot on

If Swinney becomes leader and therefore FM nobody should be in any doubt regarding the continuing influence of one Nicola Ferguson Sturgeon. 

Mikey1874
7 minutes ago, Australis said:

John Swinney is a decent guy.

So no, not involved in that.

jack D and coke
4 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

The UK Supreme court has already ruled on that, as you probably know.  

Can you or anyone else explain how Salmond persuaded Cameron to allow the 2014 referendum ?   

The Yes vote was in the high 20’s. They thought they’d utterly piss it.
Shat themselves near the end when it looked at one point that Yes had taken the lead. Then the threats etc and Scotland bottled it. 
There's a reason they won’t allow another and there’s been attack after attack on the Scottish parliament. 
They haven’t helped themselves in certain situations either let’s not forget that but it’s been a concerted effort after Gove’s state of the union survey suggested the unions biggest threat was Scottish independence. 
Same reason he had the EU vote. Thought it was a tap in. 

Edited by jack D and coke

luckydug
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

No offence, but she has less intelligence, than the fella that's just handed his notice in.

Interested to know if you have knowledge to support that claim.

Or is it just another rant of yours because you presume to distrust and dislike ALL politicians.

Thunder and Lightning

People debating what constitutes a nation that can't even define what a woman is. 

Shite and obvious attempt at deflection from the events of the day. 😂 

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

blower-20240430-yousaf.jpg.webp

:qqb006:Brilliant.   Paddy & Lorna would approve of that.

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

People debating what constitutes a nation that can't even define what a woman is. 

Reckon that was about 6 pages on what a nation is.   Give it another hour, and the "what's a woman" debate will start. 😎

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Yep classic deflection . 

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Shat themselves near the end when it looked at one point that Yes had taken the lead. Then the threats etc and Scotland bottled it. 
There's a reason they won’t allow another and there’s been attack after attack on the Scottish parliament. 
They haven’t helped themselves in certain situations either let’s not forget that but it’s been a concerted effort after Gove’s state of the union survey suggested the unions biggest threat was Scottish independence. 

Spot on 

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

blower-20240430-yousaf.jpg.webp

I shouldn’t laugh . . . . But I did 😆.,

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Spot on

Lone Striker
44 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially the initial polling for Yes. 👍  

I think Cameron  under-estimated Salmond's powers of persuasion and rousing rhetoric.  From memory, it was Gordon Brown's intervention that slowed & eventually reversed the Yes momentum just enough to win. Alistair Darling was having little effect as leader of Better Together, hence his old boss riding in to save the day for the Union.  If anything, the whole lead-up to the voting day was a testament to the power of clever oratory on both sides in the final few weeks. 

Its hard to believe that Cameron's "win" emboldened him to then promise a  EU referendum if he failed to get concession on immigration from the EU.  He must have known how much hatred there was for the EU among his ERG nutters, with Farage loitering outside the tent.  My guess is he assumed (wrongly) that his old Bullingdon toff chum would back Remain too.   

The 10 years since IndyRef have been an absolute sh1tshow from the UK Govt, with ScotGov not far behind.

Lord Montpelier

Apologies if already posted

But... apparently nationalist figurehead Humza Yousaf is now entitled to 52k a year for life for all his out of this world success over the last 12 months

I'm sure the big lefty , being a man of principle and morals, will turn it down in due course. 

1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

But... apparently nationalist figurehead Humza Yousaf is now entitled to 52k a year for life for all his out of this world success over the last 12 months

I'm sure the big lefty , being a man of principle and morals, will turn it down in due course. 

There probably should be a caveat that you actually need to serve a full term to be entitled to it. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Wait till he brings out his book. 

Lord Montpelier
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

There probably should be a caveat that you actually need to serve a full term to be entitled to it. 

It's fine though

We all know the left are charitable sorts . 

So am sure it will find its way to good causes. 

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

win. Alistair Darling was having little effect as leader of Better Together, hence his old boss riding in to save the day for the Union.  If anything, the whole lead-up to the voting day was a testament to the power of clever oratory on both sides in the final few weeks. 

I’d probably disagree with this . I thought yes people ( me included ) overestimated the Yes vote . Like many others I was mainly only reading stuff related to yes and nothing of note re No . Therefore the shock when the vote was counted and the overriding No majority . They were def a silent majority . 

14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I wonder if Liz Truss had a similar kind of deal

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Only book he will release is a colouring one. 

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Only book he will release is a colouring one. 

:D

John Findlay
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Interested to know if you have knowledge to support that claim.

Or is it just another rant of yours because you presume to distrust and dislike ALL politicians.

Give her the job then. I personally give her less than the Thirteen months Humza managed.

Gundermann
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

:spoton:

Lord Montpelier
11 minutes ago, lou said:

They could do a book together

Liz and Humza - a Tale of how to Fail. 

Konrad von Carstein
29 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Why?

Would you?

Lord Montpelier
Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Why?

Would you?

Yes, of course. But then I'm one of the good guys. 

Konrad von Carstein
13 minutes ago, lou said:

£100k + for life. .

Lord Montpelier
Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

Vote LM.

I wouldn't vote for me lol

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Lord Montpelier said:

Yes, of course. But then I'm one of the good guys. 

Ah, so you are ..👀

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Because he's been a big fat failure. He should be ashamed to pick up that sort of cash for having done worse than nothing. 

And your answer to the second question?

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

£100k + for life. .

Reminds me of all the years Chris Robinson got a seat in the srand, that annoyed me as much