Gary Glen signs new contract

Ryan Gosling

The People's Chimp

Despite everything at our club; the signing of an excellent prospect on a long term deal should not be a cause for concern. You get the feeling some people will moan about anything and i'm not surprised to see an equine fellow throwing his moaning tuppenceworth into the mix.

We all know we need a manager. We all know we have needed one for fecking ages. It is not a bolt from the blue nor is it remarkable insight. We all know our club is in a shambles and the one thing that could potentially fix it is a quality manager. Woop de woop.

So why devote more and more moaning and negativity to the fact we've signed glen on a long term deal? It's nonsense like this that has JKB losing credibility by the day; and those who have a valid point on the running of our club lose their own credibility by the hour when they indulge in this kind of crap.

Hilary Briss
Despite everything at our club; the signing of an excellent prospect on a long term deal should not be a cause for concern. You get the feeling some people will moan about anything and i'm not surprised to see an equine fellow throwing his moaning tuppenceworth into the mix.

We all know we need a manager. We all know we have needed one for fecking ages. It is not a bolt from the blue nor is it remarkable insight. We all know our club is in a shambles and the one thing that could potentially fix it is a quality manager. Woop de woop.

So why devote more and more moaning and negativity to the fact we've signed glen on a long term deal? It's nonsense like this that has JKB losing credibility by the day; and those who have a valid point on the running of our club lose their own credibility by the hour when they indulge in this kind of crap.

Couldnt agree more mate.

Guest JamboRobbo
Despite everything at our club; the signing of an excellent prospect on a long term deal should not be a cause for concern.

Even taking into account the fact that we currently have a load of kids whowere given long term deals against John Murrays wishes, and who are currently loaned out to various clubs accross Scotland because "they'll never be good enough to make it at HMFC"?

IMO, whilst I think the decision in this instance is correct, the decision making process is most likely not. There is a distinction between the two.

You get the feeling some people will moan about anything and i'm not surprised to see an equine fellow throwing his moaning tuppenceworth into the mix.

So why devote more and more moaning and negativity to the fact we've signed glen on a long term deal?

I don't see anyone moaning that we've signed him on a long term deal.

I see people questioning the decision making process though, which given our recent history of dishing out these deals willy nilly against the wishes of our academy director, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

John Findlay

Hearts won a game 10-0.

Mr JamboRobbo your thoughts please? It should have been 11-0 we were crap.

Mr Horse? It should have been 12:0 we were awful.

Drylaw Hearts? Should have been 13-0 we only played for 15minutes.

Mr Paatelinaen manager of the beaten team Hibernian: They scored a lucky ten goals. 6 were offside and Miko dived for his four penalties.

Some people are just never satisfied.

John

Guest JamboRobbo
Hearts won a game 10-0.

Mr Paatelinaen manager of the beaten team Hibernian: They scored a lucky ten goals. 6 were offside and Miko dived for his four penalties.

John

Aye, good point John. You can't come up with a response to the point being made, so you just have dig at the posters instead.

Now that you've had your dig, I realise how wrong my point was. :rolleyes:

Hearts won a game 10-0.

John

:fing25:

Hearts won a game 10-0.

John

If I am in the same camp as Jambo Robbo that is good enough for me.:)

Drylaw Hearts
Hearts won a game 10-0.

John

And it would have been 13-0 if it wasn't for those damn Refs.

John Findlay
Aye, good point John. You can't come up with a response to the point being made, so you just have dig at the posters instead.

Now that you've had your dig, I realise how wrong my point was. :rolleyes:

Hearts have had managers before. We got relegated three times with managers. Managers are known to sign ****e players.

Hearts did not need a manager to for Gary Glen to sign a new contract.

If things are as bad at Hearts as you like to make out. Then the lad if he had any sense would not have signed.

Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Falkirk and ICT have managers. They are below us in the league. Agreed Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Dundee United and Hibs have managers too and are above us. Then sometimes it works with managers and sometimes it doesnt. That's football.

Hearts could get a manager and whoever they are could turn out to be great or crap. If he's great it will all be down to him. If he is crap his get out clause is Romanov interfere's to much.

John

Good news I think and who cares what the reasons are? Perhaps it was because the second a young Scottish player scores a few, the gruesome twosome from the west start sniffing?

Hearts have had managers before. We got relegated three times with managers. Managers are known to sign ****e players.

Hearts did not need a manager to for Gary Glen to sign a new contract.

If things are as bad at Hearts as you like to make out. Then the lad if he had any sense would not have signed.

Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Falkirk and ICT have managers. They are below us in the league. Agreed Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Dundee United and Hibs have managers too and are above us. Then sometimes it works with managers and sometimes it doesnt. That's football.

Hearts could get a manager and whoever they are could turn out to be great or crap. If he's great it will all be down to him. If he is crap his get out clause is Romanov interfere's to much.

John

there should have been a manager in place to make the decision though.

and if the club are to be believed there will be one here within a couple of months, so why not just wait?

Walter Kidd

I cant believe people are getting down about this. Gary Glen, who KNOCKED back Man Utd has just signed for another 4 years. Great news.

On the subject of managers - we don't have one, and in my opinion probably never will (unless you count Frail), so can we stop getting our knickers in a twist about it? It's not going to happen.

Great news.

I don't think it needed a new manager to sign him up on a new deal.

A new manager should have sanctioned the likes of Audrey getting a bigger deal but not an 18-year-old who looks extremely promising.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Guest JamboRobbo
Great news.

I don't think it needed a new manager to sign him up on a new deal.

A new manager should have sanctioned the likes of Audrey getting a bigger deal but not an 18-year-old who looks extremely promising.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

I see where you're coming from, but as illustrated by us giving out a load of 5 year deals to youngsters who according to our academy director "are not good enough for HMFC", i'd say that proves that we need someone who knows what he's doing to be making these decision.

I agree it's maybe not so bad in this case, as you've got a promising youngster etc etc etc. The actual decision, in this instance is correct.

But, if we want to avoid repeats of dishing out 5 year deals to a load of kids who ain't good enough, then it's important that the decision making process is correct also.

I see where you're coming from, but as illustrated by us giving out a load of 5 year deals to youngsters who according to our academy director "are not good enough for HMFC", i'd say that proves that we need someone who knows what he's doing to make the decision.

But Glen is rated by all at the club.

But yeah I know what you mean about the likes of Mackle, Armstrong, Kelly (?).

I can only see this as good news.

Fair enough managers should make decisions on players but this one really isn't a hard decision to make.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Good news. Always good to tie up young players these days when every regulating body seems to be tripping over itself to let players run the show.

Four years also means he should outlast Vlad! Yay!

Yet another player coming through the ranks. Hope he makes it.

Can't believe some are moaning about this because our new manager never signed him.

Gigolo-Aunt

I can see the point with a player like Audrey getting his contract extended - that SHOULD be a new mans decision.

In the case of a young guy that Frail/Murray know well and has been on the fringes of the first team for a while. Correct decision IMO.

I would imagine there will be still a few players contracts being renewed without a new man being in place - thats the chance to go gun ho and have a pop - not at this on though folks.

Good news. Lets hope he gets a fair crack at the whip and is taught the good habits to make him a better player.

I see where you're coming from, but as illustrated by us giving out a load of 5 year deals to youngsters who according to our academy director "are not good enough for HMFC", i'd say that proves that we need someone who knows what he's doing to be making these decision.

I agree it's maybe not so bad in this case, as you've got a promising youngster etc etc etc. The actual decision, in this instance is correct.

But, if we want to avoid repeats of dishing out 5 year deals to a load of kids who ain't good enough, then it's important that the decision making process is correct also.

Has it never dawned on you that Romanov can do what the hell he likes with his (his company's) money without your worthless, negative seal of approval. This is good news if Saturday is anything to go by. Applaud that without resorting negatives.

scott herbertson

How do you know the decision in this instance is correct?

Surely the decision making process Hearts have been following is that if you sign a lot of good prospects on 5 year deals there is a good chance some of them will succeed, and if only one or two do, then we make a massive profit.

Assuming the deals are based to some extent on performance (ie you get more if you break through to the first team), and that guys like Mackle will cost us somewhere between ?150,000 and ?300,000 on a five year deal. Even at the top end and say we sign 10 players on that basis we would need one to break through and be worth ?2-3 million to break even.

Worth a risk and if you consider Berra, Wallace, Driver, Gordon, Elliot and now Glen it seems to me there is nothing flawed about the decision making process.

Re the manager issue, we haven't got one at the moment and presumably Glen was coming to a point where he could also go elsewhere.

There are times when decisions are clearly required and I for one think this is fantastic news and a good piece of business, with no down side.

Assuming the deals are based to some extent on performance (ie you get more if you break through to the first team

That's my main concern with these five year deals - that there aren't performance incentives. Thi concerns is based primarily on the complete national hunt that our esteemed leaders have made of a number of senior players contracts. Especially paying more than is necessary/deserved/we can afford or (allegedly) giving players incentives and not playing them because we can't afford the aforementioned incentive!

I don't have any concerns about Glen - he seems a down to earth, switched on lad and from what I've seen, looks like he has huge potential. Glad he's signed on. My concern regards other players with similar potential, but without the attitude/work ethic who think that they can put their feet up once they've got their five year deal. Rather than have the carrot put in front of them to get a work ethic and help develop that potential until they have the life experience to understand the importance of working hard, there's every chance that handing out 5 year deals may demotivate some and we lose these players of potential.

I'd rather these deals were earned on merit and judged on a case by case basis, rather than handed out to anyone who's seen to have some talent. I'll reiterate that from what I hear (and saw on Saturday) that Glen is one who deserves it.

That's my main concern with these five year deals - that there aren't performance incentives. Thi concerns is based primarily on the complete national hunt that our esteemed leaders have made of a number of senior players contracts. Especially paying more than is necessary/deserved/we can afford or (allegedly) giving players incentives and not playing them because we can't afford the aforementioned incentive!

I don't have any concerns about Glen - he seems a down to earth, switched on lad and from what I've seen, looks like he has huge potential. Glad he's signed on. My concern regards other players with similar potential, but without the attitude/work ethic who think that they can put their feet up once they've got their five year deal. Rather than have the carrot put in front of them to get a work ethic and help develop that potential until they have the life experience to understand the importance of working hard, there's every chance that handing out 5 year deals may demotivate some and we lose these players of potential.

I'd rather these deals were earned on merit and judged on a case by case basis, rather than handed out to anyone who's seen to have some talent. I'll reiterate that from what I hear (and saw on Saturday) that Glen is one who deserves it.

How many clubs in Scotland have these performance incentives?

Might be miles off here but dod the Fuhrer not say that the basis of deals was going to change from big basics to perfromance related a while back.??

"IF" he is going down this oath, you'd have to think that Gary Glens deal will be along these lines.

Seperating the "We need a manager" bit from retaining a very promising youngster, I find it sad that some on here will try to see the negative in everything we do.

developing the topic ever so slightly.... while i'm delighted young talented players continue to come through and sign up for the long haul i have growing worries that the set up on and off the park does little to help them realise potential. i'm plagiarising my own post (if possible) from the News site today but anyway

"i have real concerns lads like Glen get the right coaching and development. Amidst the current circus there are no obvious doddie mcdonalds, sandy jardines, robbos or pressleys behind the scenes nurturing talent and passin on benefits of real top level experience.

Amidst all the booing does no one else recognise that Elliot has actually regressed and at some stage consider this might be a coaching issue? The likes of robbo, mackay, ritchie, naysmith etc all got better for havin a good back room and regular game.

I fear for the likes of driver, glen, berra wallace etc as few, 'cept maybe Berra have shown real signs of developing in recent years"

as others have pointed out its a shame to be neagtive in the face of what is effectivly very good news. only hope we see more and more of gary and he proves my anxieities ill founded.

mon the hearts.

How many clubs in Scotland have these performance incentives?

Without knowing the in's and out's of every club in Scotland's transfer policy, I'd hazard a guess at most. As most other clubs tend to give players shorter term deals with the 'incentive' that if they perform well, they win a new deal. As opposed to handing out 5 year deals to anyone that has a bebo page.

I'll repeat for the third time, I'm glad Glen has been offered his deal.

Without knowing the in's and out's of every club in Scotland's transfer policy, I'd hazard a guess at most. As most other clubs tend to give players shorter term deals with the 'incentive' that if they perform well, they win a new deal. As opposed to handing out 5 year deals to anyone that has a bebo page.

I'll repeat for the third time, I'm glad Glen has been offered his deal.

So you don't really know! In that case you're not qualified to comment.

Guest JamboRobbo

On that basis, I presume you'll never be commenting on anything ever again then. ;)

Quite apart from anything else, why do people think that it's such fantastic news that we've just signed a player onto a five year contract despite him only having played one and a bit first team games?

On that basis, I presume you'll never be commenting on anything ever again then. ;)

I think there is a big difference between commenting based on the balance of probability and making uninformed assumptions which are then put forward as fact. Or spouting the same tedious drivel at every opportunity because VR once told you a lie.

Guest JamboRobbo
I think there is a big difference between commenting based on the balance of probability and making uninformed assumptions which are then put forward as fact. Or spouting the same tedious drivel at every opportunity because VR once told you a lie.

:placate:

CornhillHearts

"Quite apart from anything else, why do people think that it's such fantastic news that we've just signed a player onto a five year contract despite him only having played one and a bit first team games?"

Maybe because some us have watched him since he was 16 and realise that he has something called ability..................duh.

Priceless! Told I'm not qualified to comment on a public messageboard by the man who thinks there are thousands of people waiting to take up season tickets.

:dribble:

Now you appear not to be the full shilling so I'll try and explain this slowly. Scott was discussing contracts and made an assumption that contracts were awarded with performance incentives. I said my concern was that they weren't and qualified this statement by referencing the mess of various senior players' contracts. No misrepresentation of anything as a 'fact' - simply an opinion based on past history.

I think you'll be able to see thing far more clearly if you take your tongue out of Vlad's sphincter for a minute or two. Now where's that phone, I better renew my ST now or I'll never get a seat at Tynie! :biggrin:

Only a Game
Bit confused by this. Gary was asked at the press conference after the game if he was on a long term deal and he said 'Yes, 5 years'.

Now, four days later he's just signed a 4-year deal?!

Maybe he had a clause in his contract that he gets an improved deal after appearing in the first team, or scoring for the first team, who knows.

Isnt it the case that at most clubs contract extensions etc etc arent done by the manager anyway. In which case the fact that we dont have one and we have given a promising youngester a new/better deal, is largely irrelevant.

Maybe Campbell Ogilvie had a hand in it. Whoever it was its a good thing to do IMO and I fail to see the negative side of this particular transaction.

There is of course a negative side to not having a manager, but this isnt one of the bullets you could fire at that particular scenario

Charlie-Brown

Mark Donaldson said on Hearts-World during last Saturdays match that Gary MacKay scribbled on his pad "negotiate new contract on monday..." after Gary Glen had been heavily involved in an impressive passage of play that brought applause from the fans.

Francis Albert
Quite apart from anything else, why do people think that it's such fantastic news that we've just signed a player onto a five year contract despite him only having played one and a bit first team games?

"Fantastic news"? That didn't strike me as the main thrust of this thread.

Seems mainly to be another reason to moan and criticise (as if we were short of those). Small minority view that it's good news. I'm with the latter.

Is this still going?

Weren't some people on about giving him a long term deal anyway? Now that he has, you can't move for the negativity. If it's really THAT bad to support Hearts, then don't.

On topic, quite pleased about this. Has shown more promise at 18 than Clum did at his age.

Archived