War with Iran

mullen13

After watching the events of the last year unfold I can't help but think war with Iran is inevitable. The US sanctions don't seem to be working for them and the climate is perfect for somebody wanting war. If you think about it look at all of the US bases in the region of the middle east.

us+military+bases+surround+iran.jpg

They have Iran completely surrounded with bases and they can strike from any or every one. I think they are just waiting for an excuse to wage war and it is looking increasingly likely that Israel may "conjure" an excuse for them.

Probably a scare-mongering conspiracy video but interesting none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umw3GTwq9mU

Does anybody think that Russia and China would have the baws to jump in?

And what do you think the REAL reason for the war is? (forget the nuclear weapon nonsense)

Why does the most powerful nation on earth feel compelled to do all of Israel's dirty work?

Discuss

After watching the events of the last year unfold I can't help but think war with Iran is inevitable. The US sanctions don't seem to be working for them and the climate is perfect for somebody wanting war. If you think about it look at all of the US bases in the region of the middle east.

They have Iran completely surrounded with bases and they can strike from any or every one. I think they are just waiting for an excuse to wage war and it is looking increasingly likely that Israel may "conjure" an excuse for them.

Simples - the main reason is OIL, and in particular assurance of supply for the US.

Not sure that the UK will get involved to any extent following the recent rounds of defence cuts.

Who pays? China probably in the long term as all US defence spending is using borrowed money.

1344525382[/url]' post='3086490']

WW3 will start because of water, or the lack of it.

Really.

I would think desalination plants would be cheaper then war.geek.gif

Gregory House M.D.

Go to war with a country that is actually dangerous? This is the USA. There's no chance.

Dr. Bapswent

Nothing will happen unless Iran get arsey.

The need Syria as a strategic partner and Syria are currently crumbling from within.

This weakens Iran considerably and undermines their position in the region.

Nothing needs done as the long term outcome for that area is favourable to the west without any action that could change opinion.

Whilst Russia and China might support Iran - they wont be able to do much if the area dissolves of its own accord.

Gregory House M.D.

Simples - the main reason is OIL, and in particular assurance of supply for the US.

Not sure that the UK will get involved to any extent following the recent rounds of defence cuts.

Who pays? China probably in the long term as all US defence spending is using borrowed money.

China and Russia? They're more likely to side with Iran.

Dr. Bapswent

China and Russia? They're more likely to side with Iran.

I think thats what he meant.

Gregory House M.D.

I think thats what he meant.

Ah, I thought he meant jumping in on America's side with the costs comment at the end.

If China, Russia and Iran sided with eachother, somehow I don't think China would be paying the price. Whichever silly ******* was on the other side most certainly would.

I'd like to think we'd sit on the fence for this one. I'd rather piss off America than China & Russia.

Ah, I thought he meant jumping in on America's side with the costs comment at the end.

If China, Russia and Iran sided with eachother, somehow I don't think China would be paying the price. Whichever silly ******* was on the other side most certainly would.

I'd like to think we'd sit on the fence for this one. I'd rather piss off America than China & Russia.

maybe we could team up with North Korea and the Decepticons

Gregory House M.D.

maybe we could team up with North Korea and the Decepticons

Aye but the decepticons are hopeless :sob:

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

A military conflict against Iran is not going to happen this year, at least. I doubt there will ever be a war between Iran and Israel and/or America.

Obama, with the US Presidential election coming up in December, will not be entertaining the prospect of another military conflict in the Middle East. He never has, and probably never will.

Israel, while still on high alert, won't be now contemplating attacking Iran in the near future while there is a civil war in Syria, with tensions already beginning to spill in neighbouring countries such as Lebanon, Jordan, and Turkey.

Regarding Russia and China, they won't be jumping in militarily if Iran is attacked by the US and/or Israel. The idea has, nor ever, will, ever cross their mind. China will be discouraging military action against Iran as it is getting cheap oil from Iran, as a result of sanctions against Iran.

Of course it's about nuclear weapons though. Israel is scared of the possibility of there being a balance of power in the Middle East.

A military conflict against Iran is not going to happen this year, at least. I doubt there will ever be a war between Iran and Israel and/or America.

Obama, with the US Presidential election coming up in December, will not be entertaining the prospect of another military conflict in the Middle East. He never has, and probably never will.

Israel, while still on high alert, won't be now contemplating attacking Iran in the near future while there is a civil war in Syria, with tensions already beginning to spill in neighbouring countries such as Lebanon, Jordan, and Turkey.

Regarding Russia and China, they won't be jumping in militarily if Iran is attacked by the US and/or Israel. The idea has, nor ever, will, ever cross their mind. China will be discouraging military action against Iran as it is getting cheap oil from Iran, as a result of sanctions against Iran.

Of course it's about nuclear weapons though. Israel is scared of the possibility of there being a balance of power in the Middle East.

...and the AllSpark

Agreed. If Obama wins in Nov, which is looking increasingly likely, we'll still get to see our grandchildren nutmeg us in the back garden. If Romney wins, though... :unsure:

Nothing will happen unless Iran get arsey.

The need Syria as a strategic partner and Syria are currently crumbling from within.

This weakens Iran considerably and undermines their position in the region.

Nothing needs done as the long term outcome for that area is favourable to the west without any action that could change opinion.

Whilst Russia and China might support Iran - they wont be able to do much if the area dissolves of its own accord.

I've been quietly musing over how much "input" the US had to the Arab spring. Little different to their on the ground efforts to place "favoured" puppets in charge in South American countries...isolate Iran by destabiling it's nearest allies. Iran's regime had enough clout to stop it spreading to them, which would probably have down the US and Israel's job for them.

As for Israel fearing a "balance" of power - have you not noticed how isolated and devoid of allies and support they are in that part of the world?? They ARE the balance of power because they have nukes and a well trained armed forces.

I was watching a documentary about North Korea this morning. They've apparently been testing chemical weapons on political prisoners.The whole country is totally brainwashed by Kim Jong whats his puss subjecting them to propaganda of 1984 proportions. Terrifying! :wow:

We're all going to die!

Barney Rubble

one things for sure WW3 would end mankind with all these nuke's and other horrific weapons :(

shit happens man !

jack D and coke

I've read so much on the middle east and I still can't make up my mind who exactly is the aggressor. At times I've swayed towards Israel and at others with whoever they're getting blown up by. It is utterly insolvable. It goes back to biblical times and they will kill each other forever more.

As for America and Iran I've thought for a while they were surrounding Iran and at the end of the day will be mainly about oil. You can point fingers at them of the rights and wrongs of what that means but I'd rather be America's bitch than Russia and China's. I really don't want China to really become the worlds biggest military power. God bless America I say.

fabienleclerq

I was watching a documentary about North Korea this morning. They've apparently been testing chemical weapons on political prisoners.The whole country is totally brainwashed by Kim Jong whats his puss subjecting them to propaganda of 1984 proportions. Terrifying! :wow:

We're all going to die!

I remember watching one about N.Korea and a girl who had "escaped" to china/south korea (i forget) paid people to smuggle her sister out of N.Korea, they filmed the conditions inside the country and people lived terrible lives etc.So they get the sister out and she listens to what her sister telling her how terrible Kim or whoever is and she cant/wont believe it and decides to go back...crazy! totally brainwashed.

On Iran, ultimately about oil.Hopefully we stay out of it.

I remember watching one about N.Korea and a girl who had "escaped" to china/south korea (i forget) paid people to smuggle her sister out of N.Korea, they filmed the conditions inside the country and people lived terrible lives etc.So they get the sister out and she listens to what her sister telling her how terrible Kim or whoever is and she cant/wont believe it and decides to go back...crazy! totally brainwashed.

On Iran, ultimately about oil.Hopefully we stay out of it.

Think Israel will disagree.

From Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's own mouth:

"Anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation's fury,?

"Israel must be wiped off the map"

"They (the Western powers) launched the myth of the Holocaust. They lied, they put on a show and then they support the Jews."

"The establishment of Zionist regime was a move by the world oppressor against the Islamic world."

"We've never been anti-Semitic."

Out of all the "anti-terror" wars, Iraq, Afghanistan & Libya etc, in my opinion war against Iran would is the only one war that the Western powers actually have enough substance to justify and attack. Oil would be second and a bonus to ending this regime.

I've read so much on the middle east and I still can't make up my mind who exactly is the aggressor. At times I've swayed towards Israel and at others with whoever they're getting blown up by. It is utterly insolvable. It goes back to biblical times and they will kill each other forever more.

As for America and Iran I've thought for a while they were surrounding Iran and at the end of the day will be mainly about oil. You can point fingers at them of the rights and wrongs of what that means but I'd rather be America's bitch than Russia and China's. I really don't want China to really become the worlds biggest military power. God bless America I say.

Not so much now. Iran doesn't produce a MASSIVE quantity compared to say Saudi Arabia. The problem is that the Straits of Hormuz is the choke point in the Arabian Sea and Iran can pretty much close it at will and take half the worlds supply out. However, the Qatari's have just built a massive pipeline that can take a third of all Middle Eastern produced crude and pump it straight to the Med. With another one in construction, Iran is fast losing it's last bargaining chip..

The US' foreign policy is driven by its national interests, like probably every other country on the planet. Those interests, for the US, include access to and control of natural resources.

A huge change in the energy landscape is underway. The US now has the potential to bring huge volumes of hydrocarbons on stream. It will soon became an energy exporter.

The appetite to lose young American lives and spend trillions of dollars the country can't afford on wars "for oil" is waning. I'll be surprised if America starts another war any time soon.

Retaliation, however, is another matter.

The US' foreign policy is driven by its national interests, like probably every other country on the planet. Those interests, for the US, include access to and control of natural resources.

A huge change in the energy landscape is underway. The US now has the potential to bring huge volumes of hydrocarbons on stream. It will soon became an energy exporter.

The appetite to lose young American lives and spend trillions of dollars the country can't afford on wars "for oil" is waning. I'll be surprised if America starts another war any time soon.

What do you think i'm doing in Texas right now. You are 100% spot on with this comment.

What do you think i'm doing in Texas right now. You are 100% spot on with this comment.

Same thing I'm doing in Texas!

The Comedian

Is that shale gas?

No doubt whatever they do we'll tag along with whatever is left of our armed forces. We could flip their burgers when we are reduced to the 2nd Armored Burger Van Brigade, maybe.

Is that shale gas?

No doubt whatever they do we'll tag along with whatever is left of our armed forces. We could flip their burgers when we are reduced to the 2nd Armored Burger Van Brigade, maybe.

Gas and oil.

You know, it may be late, but it never amazes me how people can just sit around and accept the murder of innocent people just because USA needs more oil! How people can write, without thinking that launching a war in other country that has a fully democrat goverment is fine is sickening! You wonder why people hate the west, it's the attitude that firing off some rockets to kill ordinary people is fine as long as it doesnt effect us!

Bunch of ******* ******s, maybe actually look at the footage of people dying in countries like Iraq because we invented a excuse to go to war, but it's fine because once we have bombed the shit out of other country then we can award contracts to re build it by using big companies!

Think Israel will disagree.

From Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's own mouth:

"Anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation's fury,?

"Israel must be wiped off the map"

"They (the Western powers) launched the myth of the Holocaust. They lied, they put on a show and then they support the Jews."

"The establishment of Zionist regime was a move by the world oppressor against the Islamic world."

"We've never been anti-Semitic."

Out of all the "anti-terror" wars, Iraq, Afghanistan & Libya etc, in my opinion war against Iran would is the only one war that the Western powers actually have enough substance to justify and attack. Oil would be second and a bonus to ending this regime.

Sounds like you've been listening to all the propaganda and falling for it hook, line and sinker! You have just regurgitated all the things the US government wants you to hear and say.

The quotes you provided from Ahmadinejad are wildly inaccurate and lost in translation. He merely said that he wants the "Israelite regime removed from the history pages" NOT "Wiped off the map" which gets repeated time and time again by the media and politicians. Does anybody in Britain not know that phrase off by heart? Even if it does have nuclear ability, they may not have the capability to make a weapon. Even if they did make a weapon they wouldn't use it against Israel because they would be bombing their main friends and allies, Palestine. and who says Israel, India, north Korea and Pakistan are allowed nuclear capability and not Iran? You forget that the US put the Iranian regime in power and funded it. They came out of favour since they kicked BP out of the country and threatened to deal their oil in Euros rather than Dollars, which would be a HUGE loss to America. They are also the supplier to America's main economic rivals in the region. Russia and China.

Oil should never be a bonus if it doesn't belong to you.

Sounds like you've been listening to all the propaganda and falling for it hook, line and sinker! You have just regurgitated all the things the US government wants you to hear and say.

The quotes you provided from Ahmadinejad are wildly inaccurate and lost in translation. He merely said that he wants the "Israelite regime removed from the history pages" NOT "Wiped off the map" which gets repeated time and time again by the media and politicians. Does anybody in Britain not know that phrase off by heart?

What language was the statement made in? And what is your level of proficiency in it?

Further to this, why did his official website use the "wiped off the map" quote?

They came out of favour since they kicked BP out of the country and threatened to deal their oil in Euros rather than Dollars, which would be a HUGE loss to America. They are also the supplier to America's main economic rivals in the region. Russia and China.

Given that the US does not import any oil from Iran, can you explain why this would be a"HUGE loss to America"?

Whos talking about the US? Its Israel who want to attack Iran and its not about oil.

The quotes you provided from Ahmadinejad are wildly inaccurate and lost in translation. He merely said that he wants the "Israelite regime removed from the history pages" NOT "Wiped off the map" which gets repeated time and time again by the media and politicians.

The quote said by Ahmadinejad "Wiped off the map" whichever way taken was said at a "World Without Zionism" conference where again he denied the holocaust. From Aljazeera: His "inaccurate" quote was translated to "this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time." Sounds a bit less threatening eh.. You are allowed to read between the lines.

Does anybody in Britain not know that phrase off by heart? Even if it does have nuclear ability, they may not have the capability to make a weapon. Even if they did make a weapon they wouldn't use it against Israel because they would be bombing their main friends and allies, Palestine. and who says Israel, India, north Korea and Pakistan are allowed nuclear capability and not Iran? You forget that the US put the Iranian regime in power and funded it. They came out of favour since they kicked BP out of the country and threatened to deal their oil in Euros rather than Dollars, which would be a HUGE loss to America. They are also the supplier to America's main economic rivals in the region. Russia and China.

Oil should never be a bonus if it doesn't belong to you.

The difference with other countries having nukes, they have a degree of responsibility and a corridor of politics they'd have to follow to use them (You could not count NK but they've hardly been waving their nukes around). And also, these countries understand the consequences of what would happen if they launched a nuclear attack. Ahmadinejad clearly hates the very existence of Israel and no doubt is following his religious beliefs on what he/Iran must do.Israel and the rest of the world have the absolute right to be concerned at whats happening. If this was happening on Britains doorstep would you be cool with it? The last thing on Israels mind right now is oil.

Also, the US along with Russia are in the START treaty and are slowly disarming their arsenals. They caused 40 years of fear in the cold war and many close calls regarding nuclear war. Think the last thing they want is this very situation happening right now. I honestly believe, Russia & China no matter what ties they have with Iran, will take a back seat if it comes to a head. This could be WW3 in the making.

We are on a countdown to crisis.

If you remember, soon after his election,

Ahmadinejad, the president of Iran

Stated that ?Israel must be wiped of the map of the world...?

Israel and America must confront Iran?s potential nuclear capability

and willingness to destroy Israel with nuclear weapons.

The coming nuclear face off with Iran is a certainty.

It will happen soon, maybe even tomorrow.

Governor Tarkin

Same thing I'm doing in Texas!

Same thing I'm doing 200 miles off of the coast of Texas!

What language was the statement made in? And what is your level of proficiency in it?

Further to this, why did his official website use the "wiped off the map" quote?

Given that the US does not import any oil from Iran, can you explain why this would be a"HUGE loss to America"?

It will be a loss to America because no matter who they export the oil to, it is dealt with in US Dollars. Therefore buyers will either need to do an exchange (at a rate dictated by the US) or take out a loan (at a rate dictated by the US) in order to purchase the oil. When America needs to buy oil it simply needs to print its own money. Whoever receives the money will then re-invest it back into the US economy (usually). They manage to deal with the Saudis by disposing of their obsolete military assets and getting oil on the cheap. They have pretty much every small oil producing country on-side apart from Iran. If Iran started using Euros the US would lose all of these benefits to the biggest economy on earth. The Eurozone.

The US have openly admitted that it was CIA agents that initiated both of the two recent Iranian regime changes and tried a third time last year but failed unlike in Libya, Egypt and (possibly) Syria recently. All of these uprisings are NOT a coincidence.

It will be a loss to America because no matter who they export the oil to, it is dealt with in US Dollars. Therefore buyers will either need to do an exchange (at a rate dictated by the US) or take out a loan (at a rate dictated by the US) in order to purchase the oil. When America needs to buy oil it simply needs to print its own money. Whoever receives the money will then re-invest it back into the US economy (usually). They manage to deal with the Saudis by disposing of their obsolete military assets and getting oil on the cheap. They have pretty much every small oil producing country on-side apart from Iran. If Iran started using Euros the US would lose all of these benefits to the biggest economy on earth. The Eurozone.

The US have openly admitted that it was CIA agents that initiated both of the two recent Iranian regime changes and tried a third time last year but failed unlike in Libya, Egypt and (possibly) Syria recently. All of these uprisings are NOT a coincidence.

You are aware that Iran already stopped accepting US$ for crude some time ago, right? So, you are talking about something in future tense that has already happened.

As for suggestions the US initiated the Arab Spring, personally I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure Mubarak in power in Egypt, for example, was something the US (and allies) were comfortable with, versus the possible alternatives. But you never know. I agree that the fact the uprisings happened was not a coincidence- I think it was essentially a chain reaction of events.

Any thoughts on my language-related questions?

You are aware that Iran already stopped accepting US$ for crude some time ago, right? So, you are talking about something in future tense that has already happened.

As for suggestions the US initiated the Arab Spring, personally I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure Mubarak in power in Egypt, for example, was something the US (and allies) were comfortable with, versus the possible alternatives. But you never know. I agree that the fact the uprisings happened was not a coincidence- I think it was essentially a chain reaction of events.

Any thoughts on my language-related questions?

Re the language

I have a friend, well more of an acquantance as he was an old client, who has Iranian family and therefore speaks Persian. I would understand if you would not accept his argument as he could clearly be biased. However, the way he talks is as if Iran has no interest in war and it is being forced upon them. The US have a past history of doing this so they can distance themselves from blame. He thinks Ahmedinijad is a very intelligent man who is a dictator yes but not evil as our media makes out. I take what he says with a pinch of salt but I listen to his views. He doesn't want to destroy Israel, he would be destroying land that Muslims consider holy.

Jam Tarts 1874

Would be quite ironic if the only country to have ever used a nuclear weapon against another country sends the troops into another country (who withdrew their agreement to the non-proliferation treaty long ago) to stop them having nuclear power.

Re the language

I have a friend, well more of an acquantance as he was an old client, who has Iranian family and therefore speaks Persian. I would understand if you would not accept his argument as he could clearly be biased. However, the way he talks is as if Iran has no interest in war and it is being forced upon them. The US have a past history of doing this so they can distance themselves from blame. He thinks Ahmedinijad is a very intelligent man who is a dictator yes but not evil as our media makes out. I take what he says with a pinch of salt but I listen to his views. He doesn't want to destroy Israel, he would be destroying land that Muslims consider holy.

Fair dues. I know Iranians, also. So, you are basically relying on translation, like anybody else. And one you (not me, I don't know the person) believe could be biased.

Any thoughts on why the President's official site used the "wiped off the map" quote (twice)? This official translation may be the cause of the confusion.

Would be quite ironic if the only country to have ever used a nuclear weapon against another country sends the troops into another country (who withdrew their agreement to the non-proliferation treaty long ago) to stop them having nuclear power.

Like nuclear rain on your wedding day.

It' been boiling away for some time - though I think the US will use Israel to do it's dirty work.

Anyway this wee video makes for interesting viewing on the subject - as well as having the sountrack by that greatly under estimated composer of British Light Classics AW Keteleby

Saudi Arabia now saying that they will intercept Israeli jets on the way to Iran if they violate Saudi airspace.

I think this might be getting a bit beyond sabre-rattling now. Threats like this could start a war.

Gregory House M.D.

Leave them to it. This might sound insensitive but if the middle-east is flattening itself they aren't flattening us. Not our problem.

Fair dues. I know Iranians, also. So, you are basically relying on translation, like anybody else. And one you (not me, I don't know the person) believe could be biased.

Any thoughts on why the President's official site used the "wiped off the map" quote (twice)? This official translation may be the cause of the confusion.

Here is a very very interesting video. Do you still think Ahmadinejad is a mindless, evil dictator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykd-syzZ4ZY

Archived