Ruben - Vastly Overrated

Rawrrrrrrr

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Again, a player is here one season (and he didn`t even start for a long time)and he`s being written off.

It takes all sorts to make a decent side. Not comparing talent here, but Michael Carrick rarely scores goals or is that influential going forward for Man U but he`s great in possession and doesn`t lose the ball. Then the likes of Tevez, Giggs, Rooney get on with being the attacking side of things.

In fact, when Ruben came in to the midfield he added a bit calm and composure in that area.

As I've said twice, I'd keep him as a squad player.

I agree he added composure but the midfield is pretty horrific bar Kingston.

I know your not individually comparing him to Carrick but I don't know why you even mentioned Man Utd (the best side in the world) to be honest.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I've said twice, I'd keep him as a squad player.

I agree he added composure but the midfield is pretty horrific bar Kingston.

I know your not individually comparing him to Carrick but I don't know why you even mentioned Man Utd (the best side in the world) to be honest.

Without sounding cheeky i think it`s obvious, they play similar roles for their clubs and Carrick sprung to mind first.

If Prancer is correct in his judgement then we have less chance than Gretna in fielding a team on Sat.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
[/size]Without sounding cheeky i think it`s obvious, they play similar roles for their clubs and Carrick sprung to mind first.

Neilson and Cafu play similar roles. ;)

I personally can't stand ruben. he dilly dallies on the ball, he runs in bizarre little circles and doesn't exert any influence on the game. Some of the adoration people have for him i simply cannot understand. While i think he may have some technical ability he needs far too much time on the ball and so many plays break down when they go through him.

He is a young player who still needs to adapt to the Scottish game. He tends to overplay and gets caught in possession in our final third. I am sure that in the future a good coach could iron out these flaws in his game. Hopefully he will chip in with a few goals in the future.:):):)

CornhillHearts

FJ quit whilst you are ahead; remember prancer has not got a scooby doo about football, he aint got a clue believe me.

portobellojambo1
I'm coming from the perspective that this two winger formation we play is madness!

I would think there is case for those that would argue we actually play a no winger formation JR, assuming of course the definition of a winger is a player who takes the ball from a midfielder, goes past the full back, gets to the bye line then plays the ball into the box for a striker to then place into the net.

I keep getting this vision of Mackay, Colquhoun and Robertson who tried this out, and within this vision it keeps being fecking mega successful, don't think even they would argue that what they were doing came under the heading of rocket science, just people doing what they got paid to do, and doing it well.

I stll believe our lack of penetrating wide players and an out and out goalscorer is impacting on other areas of the team, one could argue impacting greatly on those midfielders with a bit of ability.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

The only serious thing wrong on the park at the moment is the fact that we have sold on every decent striker. If Velicka had stayed we'd be in the top 6 and no one would be having a pop at Ruben. Those that have a go at him are this thread should be sectioned or are already on the run from the asylum.:eek::eek::eek:

Have never really rated him and the more I see of him the less I do

He is simply not suited to the scottish game and imo is a very poor mans barry ferguson

He runs around in circles with the ball but inevitably goes nowere, he isnt a great passer, he cant run with the ball and is quite slow with his decisions

He probably is a good player for the continent but not scotland

I honestly think he should be shipped on in the summer with stewart

Kingston and Eggert in the centre is the way forward for me

I can't agree. For me, he is one of the few players, along with Banks and possibly a couple of others, who comes out of this season with any credit

I only skimmed this thread yesterday when I posted but now i've read it in a bit more detail I actually can't believe half the stuff that's been posted.

It's got to be a wind-up thread surely.

maltese jambo

Give Ruben a chance next season, he's shown us he is capable in flashes, but lets let him have a few bad games here and there.

i mean come on, would you rather have stewart hideing behind the referee or ruben standing up and being counted?

Guest JamboRobbo
I agree with the OP that it is time for Ruben to go. Yep let's forget he has good technical skills, lets forget he can actually pass the ball, lets forget he gives 100% every game, lets forget it was his track back and tackle set up the second goal on Sat, lets forget he consistently wins the man of the match awards, and lets forget he does this, at times, with little or no help from those around him. Yep lets ditch him and keep the rest.

And lets forget him dallying on the ball and costing us goals also?

There is a good and a bad to Ruben.

Yes, he looks a neat and tidy footballer, with composure on the ball. Yes, he can ping a world cup pass 50 yards.

But, the downside is he wants too much time on the ball, and is often caught dilly dallying in possesion, twisting and turning till he falls over and loses it.

Initially, I was excited when he came in, as he does look a footballer who I presumed would get used to the pace of the scottish game. But he hasn't really adapted at all IMO. He still wants too much time on the ball.

And I don't think Jonnson and him are a good partnership. We need at least one midfielder with the drive to go forward. And I think Jonnson is by far the better prospect of the two.

We know we're scraping the bottom of the barrel when even Ruben starts getting it in the neck... :eek:

Nobody's suggesting he's the new Pele, but he IS one of our most consistent players and all this stuff about him not putting tackles is just daft. Sure, he doesn't fling himself recklessly into bone crunching rugby style challenges but that's because he doesn't flippin need to do that much of the time. Comment is often passed on Nade and his control but Ruben has a fair bit of skill in that department too.

I'd be more than happy if he was still here after the summer, I think we've still to see the best of him. Muchas gracias Ruben :)

Hilary Briss

Strange thread this one. Ruben is a class act, who has settled in well given the pace of Scottish football compared to Spanish/greek. IMO he will be even better next season.

He has had few average games but has generally played consistantly well and has been one of the very few success stories this season. Well done Ruben son, keep it up !!

Archived