Ruben - Vastly Overrated

Rawrrrrrrr

Have never really rated him and the more I see of him the less I do

He is simply not suited to the scottish game and imo is a very poor mans barry ferguson

He runs around in circles with the ball but inevitably goes nowere, he isnt a great passer, he cant run with the ball and is quite slow with his decisions

He probably is a good player for the continent but not scotland

I honestly think he should be shipped on in the summer with stewart

Kingston and Eggert in the centre is the way forward for me

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Correct.

Have a look at the Player of the Year thread, can't believe how many people have said he should get it.

He's a nice, tidy player but that's about it.

Don't expect him to influence/change games in any way.

I admire the fact that he paid his old club 200k so he could join us though so I think he's worth a place in next seasons squad.

Definitely not the player some on here make him out to be.

vlad on the tyne

neat n tidy but doesn't impose himself enough for me.

needs to get some cahones IMO.

I look at gomis at dundee utd and wonder how come we didn't get him. Very good player and a far better player than Palazuelos.

He's the Spanish version of Bruno Aguiar.

Neat and tidy but totall ineffective.

Doesn't impose himself on matches at all, not much of a tackler and not very creative.

Jonsson and Palazuelos should never, ever be the central midfield partnership.

One or the other + an attack minded player.

Regular John

Not anywhere near as overrated as Jonsson.

He's probably the second most technically gifted player we've got, plus one of the best passers of the ball.

Ruben and Kingston in the middle for me.

portobellojambo1

Have a lot of time for Palazuelos, technically very gifted, excellent distribution, but struggling in a side that gives him, in fact all the midfielders, very little outlets as our strikers and wide men are totally ineffective, and don't actually seem to know how to create the space needed to accept a pass.

Not anywhere near as overrated as Jonsson.

He's probably the second most technically gifted player we've got, plus one of the best passers of the ball.

Ruben and Kingston in the middle for me.

And who is going to do the defending or sitting deep out of those 2 ?

Jonsson is young and no doubt he makes mistakes. However IMO those mistakes are worth it if we want to develope him into the type of top class player i think he can be.

rudi must stay

He is simply not suited to the scottish game and imo is a very poor mans barry ferguson

He runs around in circles with the ball but inevitably goes nowere, he isnt a great passer, he cant run with the ball and is quite slow with his decisions

very true, he lacks the basketball skills that Ferguson has

Clerry Jambo

I don't beeeeeeeeeeleeeeeeve it - I'm agreeing with Prancer:confused:

I was willing to give Ruben abit time to settle into the Scottish game but he hasn't really shown the improvement I was expecting. Yes he is neat and tidy ( I think we have too many midfielders like this by the way ) but I was hoping he would start taking matches by the throat but he hasn't. Lets give him a close season and hope he can start to impose himself a bit more

Only a Game

He's terribly one footed. Not great for central midfielder as he has to turn onto his good foot every time he receives the ball.

I wonder of he'd be better deployed in a wide area or even at left back ? I dont think he's the full answer in central midfield unless we are playing 3 in there.

Regular John
And who is going to do the defending or sitting deep out of those 2 ?

Jonsson is young and no doubt he makes mistakes. However IMO those mistakes are worth it if we want to develope him into the type of top class player i think he can be.

Ruben, it's not like he ventures forward that much anyway.

Also, it's a myth that Jonsson is a better holding/defensive player than Brellier was.

Jonsson's strength is on the ball, but you'll rarely see him cutting out loose balls or putting in a challenge - the sort of things folk criticise Ruben for.

I would even have Stewart ahead of Eggert, despite his current poor form he's still a far more influential and better player.

always a jambo

I wouldn't say he's vastly overrated. He tends to keep the ball too long when he should make a pass for my liking.

He has some good skills though. I think we should keep him.

rudi must stay
Aguiar without the freekicks pretty average player.

don't agree there. He saved us more than a dozen times yesterday by excellent tackles, he must have covered miles. It's only really his awareness that lets him down imo. He's far better than average though :evilno:

Ruben, it's not like he ventures forward that much anyway.

Also, it's a myth that Jonsson is a better holding/defensive player than Brellier was.

Jonsson's strength is on the ball, but you'll rarely see him cutting out loose balls or putting in a challenge - the sort of things folk criticise Ruben for.

I would even have Stewart ahead of Eggert, despite his current poor form he's still a far more influential and better player.

My 4 year old daughter tackles harder than Ruben. Doesn't venture forward and can't tackle. All about opinions of course but its Jonsson for me.

CornhillHearts

That will boost his career now you have put him down Prancer, its early days for GG but you certainly thought he was not worth all the hype.

rudi must stay
My 4 year old daughter tackles harder than Ruben. Doesn't venture forward and can't tackle. All about opinions of course but its Jonsson for me.

don't know if you made the match yesterday judging by that, probably not. His tackling was an absolute joy to watch, he got the ball every single time. No he doesn't go forward but he doesn't need to, we have strikers

I think he has faired pretty well considering he has come from greek and spanish football where the tempo/culture & weather is very different. Add into the fact we have yet to see him play under a proper manager and he has played in a side that has been farcicle for the most part of the season then i'd say he gets pass marks.

don't know if you made the match yesterday judging by that, probably not. His tackling was an absolute joy to watch, he got the ball every single time. No he doesn't go forward but he doesn't need to, we have strikers

yes i was at the game, tackling a joy to watch ? :booze:

rudi must stay
yes i was at the game, tackling a joy to watch ? :booze:

i no, crazy eh. It really was though, he had that type of game where nothing got passed him

Totally disagree, to the extent that I would put him forward for our player of te year. Very comfortable on the ball, very skillfull, good passer and good in the tackle. Probably our best and most consistent midfielder this season.

I believe that many peoples never see football or you are ignorant, before he was a great player for all and now that happen.is normal that parties have bad, all they have, are persons. In these last parties who want to make the players nothing.yesterday stake if we do not pass judgement on the part that is not usually fail but the second part was good.en this team are all normal because if players would play better in teams betters.i edgar is poor player.ruben think has been a very regular this player this season. Scotland is not in spain, has adapted well to this football

Clerry Jambo

i thought yesterday that Eggert was getting himself a bit more forward than normal -about time aswell. Let ruben protect the defence and allow Eggert to get forward more. We need one of our central midfielders to get forward more due to our lack of quality from wide areas - I don't include LARRY in that statement as he was all over the park yesterday..........I feel I could start a Mikolaunas thread but I won't - its Sunday:kiss2:

I don?t think central midfield is the problem area this year unlike last season. I?d rather worry about the fullbacks lack of ability to get forward and help the midfield, or the wingers inability to cross a ball, or the fact that even if our wingers could cross balls there are few signs that we have the strikers willing to get on the end of them, or the fact that our strikers for most of this season have had poor movement and all played like secondary strikers yet usually created the square root of sweet FA...

Palazuelos is not the biggest problem in this team by any means!

I believe that many peoples never see football or you are ignorant, before he was a great player for all and now that happen.is normal that parties have bad, all they have, are persons. In these last parties who want to make the players nothing.yesterday stake if we do not pass judgement on the part that is not usually fail but the second part was good.en this team are all normal because if players would play better in teams betters.i edgar is poor player.ruben think has been a very regular this player this season. Scotland is not in spain, has adapted well to this football

Spot on! ;)

Evening Ruben. :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Are you Ruben?! Seriously?

If so how do you manage your hair? What product do you use?

Dirk Diggler

I like Ruben,

Would play him ahead of Stewart any day of the week.

Jonsson and Ruben in Midfield is the best option we currently have available IMO.

lawriejambo

People must be bored slagging off Robbie, Calum, Nade, Miko, Jose, Berra, Ivaskevicius, Zaliukas, Stewart, McCann, Chesney etc. Now it's Ruben's turn, Surprise Surprise .. Next Gary Glen? more than likely...

Cupar Jambo
Totally disagree, to the extent that I would put him forward for our player of te year. Very comfortable on the ball, very skillfull, good passer and good in the tackle. Probably our best and most consistent midfielder this season.

Its all about opinions and personally I am in the very overated camp. Does not get forward, wont score five goals a season. Passing any more than 5 yards poor as it takes so long to get the ball on to his left foot and he is weak in the tackle. Out of curiosity combo do you attend away matches, this is where I think he struggles even more

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Who - Ruben or your daughter? Bit harsh if it's the latter. At 4, she's got time to improve. Give her another season. :)

Dr Ian Malcolm

Palazuelos, Aguiar and Kingston are the three players we have that are actually comfortable on the ball, yet people want rid? Last season we were crying out for extra quality in central midfield, we got it now the players there aren't suited to the Scottish game? If we had more players in other areas who were able to do the basics as well as the three mentioned then we wouldn't be where we are.

Palazuelos and Bruno get on the ball and make passes - they tend to do what many others don't and actually keep possession for us. hey're not the type of player who are going to bomb on and get goals, although Bruno has chipped in with a decent number when he's played. As said earlier, if we had strikers and wide men worth their salt then we'd see how effective they can be. If you've no outlet in front of you its pretty hard to be creative.

You still drunk from yesterday Combo? The guy makes me look fast on a football pitch.

I say ditch him!

He has done well for his first season in Scottish football. Could improve and probably will if we get a decent pre season this year and our team is more settled. Seems as if he cares about the club and wants to play for the fans unlike some of the other players.

For me you lost the argument when you said a poor man's Barry Ferguson. Barry Ferguson = Best central midfielder in Scotland by a country mile. People who don't agree = no knowledge of modern day football.

Who - Ruben or your daughter? Bit harsh if it's the latter. At 4, she's got time to improve. Give her another season. :)

I'd give her a 5 year contract.

I like Ruben. One of the few players we have who is comfortable on the ball and able to keep the ball when others won't. Perhaps if we add more 'Ruben type players' who can pass and keep the ball under pressure we will see him improve along with the team rather than 3 players who are good on the ball and 8 others who will try hard, run a lot but without much end product.

He keeps the ball, and plays it simple. The fact that the rest of the team can't do the same shouldn't mean we ship him out. We need to improve the rest of the team. Can't believe you are actually focusing on Ruben when its clear to most people that our problems lie elsewhere i.e. full backs being inept and giving possession away constantly, and with the exception of Kingston our wide midfielders are not good enough.

cardboardcutout

journeyman midfielder on what we have seen so far but may improve now that he knows what our league is all about.

we badly need midfielders who can score from open play though!!

Clerry Jambo
For me you lost the argument when you said a poor man's Barry Ferguson. Barry Ferguson = Best central midfielder in Scotland by a country mile. People who don't agree = no knowledge of modern day football.

If the crab is the best Scotland can produce we are indeed up the creek without the proverbial paddle..........

I rate Ruben a lot better than Eggert.Seems whoever picks the team does as well.Eggert passing is woeful.Ruben makes space for himself better and passes better.Wrong player on title of thread.

Ruben has had more good/average games this season than Eggert as well.

Isn't that the point of the analogy though? Pick a player that excels at his role and compare him to a lesser standard of player?

Or was I wrong in assuming that Craig Brown thought that Ryan Giggs was an excellent left winger?

Rankeillor_hearts
He's the Spanish version of Bruno Aguiar.

Neat and tidy but totall ineffective.

Doesn't impose himself on matches at all, not much of a tackler and not very creative.

Jonsson and Palazuelos should never, ever be the central midfield partnership.

One or the other + an attack minded player.

Bruno is in a different league. He has scored goals, can and has scored freekicks.

need i say more!

Its all about opinions and personally I am in the very overated camp. Does not get forward, wont score five goals a season. Passing any more than 5 yards poor as it takes so long to get the ball on to his left foot and he is weak in the tackle. Out of curiosity combo do you attend away matches, this is where I think he struggles even more

Fais do's Cupar. I have to admit I don't make it to away games so my opinion is based primarily on Home games where I have always thought he has done well.

Opinion does seem well and truly split on this thread and the POTY thread, it would be interesting to know if the Home/Away syndrom is reflected in peoples views.

You still drunk from yesterday Combo? The guy makes me look fast on a football pitch.

I say ditch him!

I wouldn't exepect anything less from you Horse!!! ;)

Archived