Ruben - Vastly Overrated

Rawrrrrrrr

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boab Mugabe

I think he's a very good midfielder - certain starter anyway in this team. Granted, he does tend to hold onto the ball, but he rarely ends up giving away possession. He isn't helped by our static midfield and forward lines as well.

I believe a more mobile team that makes incisive runs would see Ruben flourish.

Libertonian_II
Have never really rated him and the more I see of him the less I do

He is simply not suited to the scottish game and imo is a very poor mans barry ferguson

He runs around in circles with the ball but inevitably goes nowere, he isnt a great passer, he cant run with the ball and is quite slow with his decisions

He probably is a good player for the continent but not scotland

I honestly think he should be shipped on in the summer with stewart

Kingston and Eggert in the centre is the way forward for me

Couldn't agree more

Drylaw Hearts

As many others have said......

He is a tidy player.

Lacks a bit of concentration and dithers on the ball a bit but generally is ok.

What he doesn't do though is hurt teams.

I do not recall him once playing a defence splitting pass to a forward.

In myopinion he does a great job and would do an even better job if he had more creative players around him.

He sits and gets the ball and feeds the attacking players who can create something. And if we play with two attacking players on the flank then with him and Eggert in the middle gives us balance.

And those that said he can't tackle I would very much disagree. There are countless times where he has broken up play at vital times and not so vital times.

Guest JamboRobbo

Ruben is a decent footballer, although not ideally suited to the hustle and bustle of the SPL.

Eggert Jonsson is a top young footballer with great potential, and who does look like he has the qualities required to be a star in the SPL.

Ruben and Eggert are NOT a well balanced partnership.

I think we should be looking to build a team around our young playesr like Jonsson, Driver and Glen, and we should be looking to find Eggert a central midfield player who complements his qualities better than Ruben does.

I think that was Ruben's poorest games for a long time, but to say he is over-rated is a bit harsh in my opinion.

I prefer to see our players hang on to the ball if they can, rather than try an adventurous pass which tends not to reach it's intended target (Stewart is the worst offender of this)

Guest JamboRobbo
He's terribly one footed. Not great for central midfielder as he has to turn onto his good foot every time he receives the ball.

I wonder of he'd be better deployed in a wide area or even at left back ? I dont think he's the full answer in central midfield unless we are playing 3 in there.

Agree OAG.

I'd like to see him given a shot in the Left Midfield role. If such a role still exists in our team.

He wants too much time on the ball to play CM in the SPL.

This thread just shows who has a football brain and who doesnt because ruben is a great player.

Maybe he is a great footballer, but he is a very ineffective SPL player. Nice neat and tidy at best, irrespective of the opposition. One excellent game against Hibs doesn't make up for the embarrassing dives in vital areas of the park (when we are in defence), the lack of cover or protection to his centre halves, wrong options when a critical decision is required to chase the ball or follow the man, only occassional back tracking......

It pains me to say it, but the SPL style players route, augmented with classier, er, SPL type players is the only way forward until we find our feet again.

I need to watch the highlights to see if any blame can be apportioned at St Mirren's first goal. But once the ball was flicked over Jonnsons head, we needed quick cover and pressing and the candidates should have been Kingston or Ruben

I'm hoping he comes good, but far more negatives than positives for me this season.

Maybe a good coach/manager will sort him out.........

I wouldn't bin Palazuelos just yet, but so far he has failed to ever truly get a grip on the midfield in my view. Bit lightwreight. He's not the only one though - I don't think we've seen a single Hearts midfielder doing this all season, which could simply be yet another sign of the way that they're being coached as much as anything. They surely aren't all as bad as their form has been this season?

I'd give the likes of Ruben, Jonsson and Kingston another season, preferably under a proper coach (like that's going to happen!), to see if they look capable of being the full shilling. Kingston has shown he can in flashes but not in the centre - he's too lazy and 'in and out' of games for that position. Neither of the other two have looked that great to me at all, with Ruben falling into the 'Thomas Flogel' category of looking good on the ball but not really doing anything of note with it. We need more than that from a central midfield player.

Hearts badly need an enforcer in there in the Brellier mould. If they can get that then maybe one or more of the other three can come in and flourish with the sort of protection that would give them. Let's hope so.

John Findlay

Palazuelos is in my humble opinion the most skilful player in the present Hearts team. To call him a poor man's Barry Ferguson is the mother of all insults. We may have lost the league cup semi final 0-2 but, I personally thought Palazuelos was the most skilful player on the park that night.

I would build a team round him than Laryea Kingston. Like I said it is all about opinions and no two football supporters see the same game.

John

He wants too much time on the ball to play CM in the SPL.

I agree with that but I don't think it's a problem. I rarely see him lose possession and he is completely comfortable with ball at his feet.

Guest JamboRobbo
I agree with that but I don't think it's a problem. I rarely see him lose possession and he is completely comfortable with ball at his feet.

Do you close your eyes when he's just about to lose it? ;)

He's a decent player, and would be a good player in other leagues in Europe, as he's technically very good. But in the SPL, with the players we have round about him, he is too much of a luxury IMO.

once it has taken him 10 seconds to bring it under control:rolleyes:

Have a lot of time for Palazuelos, technically very gifted, excellent distribution, but struggling in a side that gives him, in fact all the midfielders, very little outlets as our strikers and wide men are totally ineffective, and don't actually seem to know how to create the space needed to accept a pass.

Totally agree on this very tidy on the ball can make decent passes but have to say when he looks up there isnt a lot to hit upfront hence why you see him have to turn players several times hoping for anyone to move generally then getting fed up and playing a shorter pass.

The guy has talent and he would be 457th on my list to get rid of from Tynie based on what he does on the park there are alot bigger fish to fry on that count

Commander Harris

I'm pretty much in agreement with JR here. Ruben is a skillful player and could be a very decent player in the right circumstances, unfortunately I don't think the SPL is suited to him.

I do wish that our league was more technical and not quite as frenetic though, but I can't see this changing anytime soon and it'll take more than the odd player in a team to do so. That would require a massive change in the way football is coached at all levels in this country.

I think Ruben has been one of our best players this season and we should give him credit for being such a strong part of the team in his first season.

Guest JamboRobbo

I do wish that our league was more technical and not quite as frenetic though, but I can't see this changing anytime soon and it'll take more than the odd player in a team to do so.

Agree with that. Although JamboElite also makes a good point.

Perhaps something as simple as having a few more mobile players making themselves available for Ruben to hit, then he might not dither on the ball looking to find a killer pass.......

Dr. Bapswent

Why are we shooting him down?

He tries.

He paid out of his own pocket to get out his contract to sign for us.

He is not completely rubbish.

Yet many seem to be calling for his head.

I just dont get it.

Commander Harris

can't speak for others but I certainly wouldn't be calling for his head. just giving my opinion on the player.

would definitely echo jamboelites comment that "The guy has talent and he would be 457th on my list to get rid of from Tynie based on what he does on the park there are alot bigger fish to fry on that count"

Guest JamboRobbo

He paid out of his own pocket to get out his contract to sign for us.

Irrelevent, given we'll have paid him whatever that amount was as a signing on fee.

Unless you actually believe that footballers keep hundreds of thousands of pounds sitting in the bank waiting to be spent on getting their dream move to HMFC?

Ruben is massively overrated by a lot of people on here.

I don't think that he's a bad player, he's just...okay. He does a half decent job, but that's about as far as it goes. Drifts in and out of games a bit too much for my liking.

Dr. Bapswent
Irrelevent, given we'll have paid him whatever that amount was as a signing on fee.

Unless you actually believe that footballers keep hundreds of thousands of pounds sitting in the bank waiting to be spent on getting their dream move to HMFC?

Irrelevant to my point.

I agree with the OP that it is time for Ruben to go. Yep let's forget he has good technical skills, lets forget he can actually pass the ball, lets forget he gives 100% every game, lets forget it was his track back and tackle set up the second goal on Sat, lets forget he consistently wins the man of the match awards, and lets forget he does this, at times, with little or no help from those around him. Yep lets ditch him and keep the rest.

Ryan Gosling
I agree with the OP that it is time for Ruben to go. Yep let's forget he has good technical skills, lets forget he can actually pass the ball, lets forget he gives 100% every game, lets forget it was his track back and tackle set up the second goal on Sat, lets forget he consistently wins the man of the match awards, and lets forget he does this, at times, with little or no help from those around him. Yep lets ditch him and keep the rest.

I concur.

We should only keep the cloggers.

Footballing ability is so over-rated.

boabyarsebiscuit

Spot on. Get him tae. We need more players like Ksanavicius.

In myopinion he does a great job and would do an even better job if he had more creative players around him.

He sits and gets the ball and feeds the attacking players who can create something. And if we play with two attacking players on the flank then with him and Eggert in the middle gives us balance.

And those that said he can't tackle I would very much disagree. There are countless times where he has broken up play at vital times and not so vital times.

Couldn't agree more. Some people on this thread need their heads checked.

He's a calm and very composed player who keeps the ball moving and rarely gives away possession. He lacks a killer pass but can pull one out occasionally, as was the case on Saturday with an impressive through ball to Miko in the first half.

He looks ineffective right now because we don't have creative players around him. Just look at who he has to ship the ball onto - Neilson, Goncalves, Mikoliunas, Jonsson and Kingston. I rate Jonsson but only as a Ruben type of player, Miko has come good but even then we can all see he should still only be a squad player at best and the less said about the two fullbacks the better. The only truly creative and above average player he has to pass to is Kingston who is on a very poor run of form right now.

Ruben would be a hero amongst fans if he were collecting the ball and playing it to Skacel, Hartley, Fyssas etc. Once our team comes good (fingers crossed) everyone will see how good (and effective) a player Ruben is.

sandyseymour
can't speak for others but I certainly wouldn't be calling for his head. just giving my opinion on the player.

would definitely echo jamboelites comment that "The guy has talent and he would be 457th on my list to get rid of from Tynie based on what he does on the park there are alot bigger fish to fry on that count"

The guy's got talent but sits in the comfort zone (middle third) too long. Would like to see him work box to box more often. Can't believe someone suggested that Stewart is a better option :evilno:. Ruben and Kingston in CM for me and......Jonnson to Centre Back beside Berra. ;)

boabyarsebiscuit
Once our team comes good (fingers crossed) everyone will see how good (and effective) a player Ruben is.

Amen to that!

Ruben is a decent footballer, although not ideally suited to the hustle and bustle of the SPL.

Eggert Jonsson is a top young footballer with great potential, and who does look like he has the qualities required to be a star in the SPL.

Ruben and Eggert are NOT a well balanced partnership.

I think we should be looking to build a team around our young playesr like Jonsson, Driver and Glen, and we should be looking to find Eggert a central midfield player who complements his qualities better than Ruben does.

I would disagree with this. Although to does sepend on what formation we are playing and with what players.

But if you have two quality attacking players on the wing who are going to give Ruben options then Ruben's passing ability and his ability to create space for himself will come in handy. And with Eggert mopping up in front of the back four then it allows these two wingers/attacking midfielders to get forward more.

Guest JamboRobbo
I would disagree with this. Although to does sepend on what formation we are playing and with what players.

But if you have two quality attacking players on the wing who are going to give Ruben options then Ruben's passing ability and his ability to create space for himself will come in handy. And with Eggert mopping up in front of the back four then it allows these two wingers/attacking midfielders to get forward more.

Fair do's mate. I'm coming from the perspective that this two winger formation we play is madness! So you're probably right if we're playing the sort of formation we're playing.

I just think we are way too weak in the centre of midfield, hence we concede a lot of goals from this area when boys are not doing their jobs properly.

Fair do's mate. I'm coming from the perspective that this two winger formation we play is madness! So you're probably right if we're playing the sort of formation we're playing.

I just think we are way too weak in the centre of midfield, hence we concede a lot of goals from this area when boys are not doing their jobs properly.

I am kind of echoing FJ's points but if we had to competent full-backs then it would help an awful lot.

I haven't come away from too many games thinking "The centre of midfield have not done their job properly" when Eggert and Ruben have played.

I think we have conceded a lot of goals because our two central midfielders and two central defenders are having to cover for some of our other players incompetences (Proper word? No too sure).

The People's Chimp

I personally can't stand ruben. he dilly dallies on the ball, he runs in bizarre little circles and doesn't exert any influence on the game. Some of the adoration people have for him i simply cannot understand. While i think he may have some technical ability he needs far too much time on the ball and so many plays break down when they go through him.

Art Vanderlay

Unreal.

Absolutely unreal.

Ruben Palazeulos has been the most consistent performer of the season. Ok, he's had one or two bad games but apart from that, he has been the stand-out.

A very intelligent player indeed - if the rest of the team knew the game as well as Ruben, Larry and Nade (even though there's planty about Nade we can complain about) then the team would be serious contenders in the league. They know how the game should be played, simple as that.

I'm stunned by how many folk are slating him.

Just because he doesn't go for reckles lunges doesn't mean he can's tackle. His positioning and distribution are consistently of a very high standard.

And here's another thing worth bearing in mind - a lot of the time Ruben has to play in two positions at once - in centre mid yes, but the amount of covering he does for the shocking weakness at the left back position should not go unnoticed.

Player of the year for me.

Ruben would be my shout for player of the year. Its true he doesn't often play great forward passes that split opposition defences but as others have pointed out, he is not playing alongside attacking players who are making intelligent attacking runs. Its also worth noting that Ruben is much better than our other midfielders at keeping possession of the ball and keeping possession is a very important part of football.

Done not bad for his first season in Scotland IMO, How many foreginers toil with the pace etc..?

How is he overated? in what way are people overating him? Most people i know who know football reckon he is a good player and he`s been far more consistent than Bruno ever was.

Honestly, some folk are never happy.

Although i hate players being told they are a certain type ie...defensive mid, attacking mid, i do think he is a good player for sitting deep in front of the defence because he doesn`t panic when in possession and can see a pass early.

Hopefully he`ll keep adding to his game and a more attacking midfielder alongside him will help.

Id have to say any player who is capable of having so many doubters should be on their way

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Don't know why people are so shocked that he is getting a bit of criticism.

Don't think anyone has said he is absolutely murder, he's just very ineffective and even in a good team I still think he would be ineffective.

The one moment that summed him up for me was in the Rangers 4-0 hammering. He was caught taking to long on the ball at the edge of our box. Instead of winning it back he falls on his arse and they score from his mistake.

I would keep him as a squad player, nothing more.

In ten years time no-one will look back and think about how good he was.

Very much the same as Bruno.

Ron Burgundy
Id have to say any player who is capable of having so many doubters should be on their way

I have to say,I think your eyes must be painted on.

Don't know why people are so shocked that he is getting a bit of criticism.

Don't think anyone has said he is absolutely murder, he's just very ineffective and even in a good team I still think he would be ineffective.

The one moment that summed him up for me was in the Rangers 4-0 hammering. He was caught taking to long on the ball at the edge of our box. Instead of winning it back he falls on his arse and they score from his mistake.

I would keep him as a squad player, nothing more.

In ten years time no-one will look back and think about how good he was.

Very much the same as Bruno.

Again, a player is here one season (and he didn`t even start for a long time)and he`s being written off.

It takes all sorts to make a decent side. Not comparing talent here, but Michael Carrick rarely scores goals or is that influential going forward for Man U but he`s great in possession and doesn`t lose the ball. Then the likes of Tevez, Giggs, Rooney get on with being the attacking side of things.

In fact, when Ruben came in to the midfield he added a bit calm and composure in that area.

Archived