Torres (NHC)

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Damn. He's back.

Chelsea have a great chance in the Champs League. Although I still think anyone expecting a walkover in the FA Cup final's in for a surprise...

I've only seen two of his goals today and I'm fairly confident that I'd have scored them as well.

Do The Dance

He had an unbelievable season at Liverpool. He looks no where near that player. I really don't think he'll ever get it back. Yes, he'll score goals, but he won't be that player.

It's a shame, I'd like him to get it back as he was a great player to actually watch play.

He's definitely getting back to where he was. A double in each Cup final and he'll go down as a Chelsea legend.

From what I caught of the game (not much), he looked much different than he did a few months back - he's looking for space where he can score rather than deciding wide and/or hiding.

He's found form in good time for the Liverpool game.

:jjyay:

shaun.lawson

Damn. He's back.

Chelsea have a great chance in the Champs League. Although I still think anyone expecting a walkover in the FA Cup final's in for a surprise...

Chelsea will lose both finals. They're playing bloody well right now mind. IMO, di Matteo's basically letting the players run things again: short term, this is working like a dream, but longer term...?

Chelsea will lose both finals.

Maybe Suarez and Terry can come go an agreement during their 'weekly meeting'.

:whistling:

Tommy Wiseau

Torres was incredible the day. Unlucky not to score more tbh. He's been showing signs over the last couple of months that he is on the way back, to be fair and although QPR's defending was abysmal today, that was what he used to be.

Would love to know how anyone can be so sure they will lose the FA Cup final against that Liverpool side, right enough :cornette:

shaun.lawson

Torres was incredible the day. Unlucky not to score more tbh. He's been showing signs over the last couple of months that he is on the way back, to be fair and although QPR's defending was abysmal today, that was what he used to be.

Would love to know how anyone can be so sure they will lose the FA Cup final against that Liverpool side, right enough :cornette:

Chelsea will dominate the FA Cup Final, maybe take the lead, but lose - and no-one will quite understand how. All very 2001, in other words, with Chelsea playing Arsenal's role that year.

And who won the CL in 2001? Bayern Munich, two years after losing the final. This year, they're back in the final - two years after losing it - up against a Chelsea side under short term, don't think he's likely to be here next season management. What happened to Chelsea's last manager of this ilk? He lost both Cup finals he led them to.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. :geek:

Chelsea will dominate the FA Cup Final, maybe take the lead, but lose - and no-one will quite understand how. All very 2001, in other words, with Chelsea playing Arsenal's role that year.

And who won the CL in 2001? Bayern Munich, two years after losing the final. This year, they're back in the final - two years after losing it - up against a Chelsea side under caretaker management. What happened to Chelsea's last caretaker manager? He lost both Cup finals he led them to.

Have you ever made a prediction that wasn't based on history?

I think Chelsea will win both finals. Liverpool are a poor side and I think the pressure will get to Bayern.

Tommy Wiseau

And who won the CL in 2001? Bayern Munich, two years after losing the final. This year, they're back in the final - two years after losing it - up against a Chelsea side under short term, don't think he's likely to be here next season management. What happened to Chelsea's last manager of this ilk? He lost both Cup finals he led them to.

Yes, but why? Saying "because it happened in 2001" doesn't really work for me, I'm afraid :lol: Liverpool were a good side in 2001.

shaun.lawson

Have you ever made a prediction that wasn't based on history?

I think Chelsea will win both finals. Liverpool are a poor side and I think the pressure will get to Bayern.

Of course you think Chelsea will win both finals. You're a Chelsea fan. :lol:

Back in 07/8, Tottenham were a vastly inferior side to Chelsea - yet Chelsea lost that final as favourites. They then lost the CL final as slight underdogs. Only difference this year is they're heavier underdogs for the European showpiece: but Sean, while I hate to break this to you, pressure doesn't get to German sides.

shaun.lawson

Yes, but why? Saying "because it happened in 2001" doesn't really work for me, I'm afraid :lol: Liverpool were a good side in 2001.

They were a "hoof it up to Emile and knock it down to little Mickey" side in 2001. All they really had was a certain durability: a bit like George Graham's Arsenal in the years after they'd won two titles.

This season, Liverpool have been atrocious in the league, right enough - but that durability's been on show again in both Cup competitions. In the final, they'll hoof it up to Carroll; he'll knock it down to Suarez; Suarez will do the rest. :thumbsup:

Gigolo-Aunt

Back in 07/8, Tottenham were a vastly inferior side to Chelsea - yet Chelsea lost that final as favourites. They then lost the CL final as slight underdogs. Only difference this year is they're heavier underdogs for the European showpiece: but Sean, while I hate to break this to you, pressure doesn't get to German sides.

You could make the case that pressure got to Bayern in 99. They missed some good chances at 1-0 and when United scored they fell to pieces.

For what its worth...

Chelsea FA Cup

Bayern Munich CL Final

Automatic promotion Division 1 Sheffield Wednesday

tartofmidlothian

This is uncannily close to my own thinking. 2-2 in the FA Cup, then Liverpool on pens is my gut feeling. Anyone writing the 'Pool off has a short memory, given the way they charged to the League Cup final.

As for the Champs League, Bayern the first team to play the final on their home ground? Aye, they might be just a wee bit up for that one...

shaun.lawson

You could make the case that pressure got to Bayern in 99. They missed some good chances at 1-0 and when United scored they fell to pieces.

For what its worth...

Chelsea FA Cup

Bayern Munich CL Final

Automatic promotion Division 1 Sheffield Wednesday

You've just backed the most likely outcome in each case! Boring. :P

Gigolo-Aunt

You've just backed the most likely outcome in each case! Boring. :P

Both the FA Cup + CL final are a two horse race with players on either side capable of producing a moment that can win it. With Bayern really having a home tie, coupled with them having such a good side, cant see past them. Chelsea do have a chance though.

fabienleclerq

Tbf to Torres he has been playing alright just not scoring, i know thats his job but it's a confidence game.

This is uncannily close to my own thinking. 2-2 in the FA Cup, then Liverpool on pens is my gut feeling. Anyone writing the 'Pool off has a short memory, given the way they charged to the League Cup final.

definitely not writing off Liverpool, but remember how lucky they were in the League Cup Final as well against much inferior opposition.

shaun.lawson

definitely not writing off Liverpool, but remember how lucky they were in the League Cup Final as well against much inferior opposition.

Like in 2001, you mean? That year, they won the League Cup Final on penalties against lower division opponents.

:interesting:

Gigolo-Aunt

Yeh, but Cardiff beat WBA 2-1 in a league fixture in 1976.

biggrin.gif

Like in 2001, you mean? That year, they won the League Cup Final on penalties against lower division opponents.

They haven't got Gary Mac or the Europa this year though.

Chelsea are kunts and will be lucky to win one of the two. Bayern will shag them rotten. Robben final for the irony. :)

They also won the UEFA Cup as well. I don't fancy their chances for that this season :whistling:

I'd like them to, obviously. But I think they will as well. Had a feeling for Hearts in the Scottish Cup and Chelsea in the Champions League since the St Johnstone replay/Napoli second leg.

Possibly not, but a Champions League final at home against a side your expected to beat. On top of that, losing the league the last two seasons. That's a lot of pressure.

I'd like them to, obviously. But I think they will as well. Had a feeling for Hearts in the Scottish Cup and Chelsea in the Champions League since the St Johnstone replay/Napoli second leg.

Possibly not, but a Champions League final at home against a side your expected to beat. On top of that, losing the league the last two seasons. That's a lot of pressure.

Genuinely, why would you be a chelsea fan? They are a side full of dickheads.

Genuinely, why would you be a chelsea fan? They are a side full of dickheads.

I adored Zola when I was younger.

shaun.lawson

I would agree if they'd lost the league in really close fashion; but they haven't. They were never in it last season, and this year, Dortmund have continued to have their number.

And the trouble for Chelsea is, while they're coached by someone whose previous jobs were West Brom and MK Dons, Bayern are coached by one of the giants of the European game. Unbelievable playing career; even better managerial career. Jupp Heynckes has already won the CL as Real Madrid boss (whereupon he waa immediately fired: only in Madrid!), and he's bang on track to join Ferguson, Mourinho, Del Bosque, Guardiola and Hitzfeld on two.

I adored Zola when I was younger.

Fair point. Him, Luca and Di Matteo were amazing :) I like big Leboeuf best though ;)

I would agree if they'd lost the league in really close fashion; but they haven't. They were never in it last season, and this year, Dortmund have continued to have their number.

And the trouble for Chelsea is, while they're coached by someone whose previous jobs were West Brom and MK Dons, Bayern are coached by one of the giants of the European game. Unbelievable playing career; even better managerial career. Jupp Heynckes has already won the CL as Real Madrid boss (whereupon he waa immediately fired: only in Madrid!), and he's bang on track to join Ferguson, Mourinho and Hitzfeld on two.

That Mourinho your talking about done nothing with Chelsea in the Champions League, same with Carlo and Villas whatever his name was. Only one that came close was Grant. Reputations mean ziltch. Check Pep as a manager at Barca, Villas himself and even Jose.

shaun.lawson

That Mourinho your talking about done nothing with Chelsea in the Champions League, same with Carlo and Villas whatever his name was. Only one that came close was Grant. Reputations mean ziltch. Check Pep as a manager at Barca, Villas himself and even Jose.

The CL's a Cup competition. Very often, mere details are all that decide key ties. Those details went for Mourinho when Porto scored in injury time at Old Trafford in 2004 after Paul Scholes had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside: if that hadn't happened, he'd never have become Chelsea boss when he did. Then they went against him in two desperately tight semi-finals with Liverpool; or this year, indeed.

Look at Ferguson, and the manner in which he won both CL finals; United's two opponents were both closer than anyone has been to winning it without actually doing so. Look at Barca: greatest player in the world missing a pen the other night, hitting the woodwork twice at the Bridge, etc. Details. No manager anywhere can legislate for those - so all you can do is look at their overall records over a period of years, with the law of averages dictating the greatest around should end up winning two or more.

Well with that sort of recommendation, I'm lumping my money on a Chelski double :D

Fair point. Him, Luca and Di Matteo were amazing :) I like big Leboeuf best though ;)

Exactly why I liked them during the 90s - chuck Petrescu and Desailly in there as well.

For that reason, they are the team I prefer out of the big clubs.

And the trouble for Chelsea is, while they're coached by someone whose previous jobs were West Brom and MK Dons, Bayern are coached by one of the giants of the European game. Unbelievable playing career; even better managerial career. Jupp Heynckes has already won the CL as Real Madrid boss (whereupon he waa immediately fired: only in Madrid!), and he's bang on track to join Ferguson, Mourinho, Del Bosque, Guardiola and Hitzfeld on two.

To be honest, I didn't know his record was that good. Didn't know he was the manager who Real sacked after winning the CL either.

Still think Chelsea will manage it over the 90 minutes. Pity it'll be Drogba up front and not Torres.

Exactly why I liked them during the 90s - chuck Petrescu and Desailly in there as well.

For that reason, they are the team I prefer out of the big clubs.

Dan the man, how could I forget him?? Gulitt tae. Your spot on, recently the likes of Cole and Terry have soured it for me

Mind that Mark Hughes FA Cup match and Kanu Arsenal, EPIC!!! Ranieri saying his mum phones him when Damien Duff doesn't get picked is quality too! "Claudio, why no Damien" hahaha

Well I've got a ?10 double on Liverpool and Hearts to win the respective FA cups -- approx ?1000 pay out if it comes up so Suarez to come out on top in the FA cup and then Chelsea can win the Champions League with Torres hat trick though they are playing away effectively and without at least 4 first choice players including the captain -- that will make it very hard as even with a first choice team they would have been the outsiders.

Delighted that Torres has found his groove again. Was really sad how he just seemed to get the yips.

At his best he's a wonderful footballer. Hopefully he will kick on next season.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Have to say, the game today reminded me of Raith Rovers v Ferranti Thisle in 1943, definite signs that Chelsea will finish 3rd just as Raith did after putting 6 past Ferranti.

:Vlad-Stupid:

shaun.lawson

Have to say, the game today reminded me of Raith Rovers v Ferranti Thisle in 1943, definite signs that Chelsea will finish 3rd just as Raith did after putting 6 past Ferranti.

:Vlad-Stupid:

Those who ignore the lessons of history, my dear Mr Partridge, are doomed to repeat it. :ninja:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Good for Torres that he is back scoring again as he is class. However, it still looks to me as if he's lost that yard of pace that made him what he was.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Not a big chelsea fan but great to see Torres who was undoubtedly a great player especially for Liverpool

In 2008/2009 and Spain at Euro 2008, find his scoring boots. Mind he came onto a game back in September and produced a great performance v Man U, then he missed an open goal and disappeared again for months. Clearly a confidence player but for the money paid for him he needs to produce on a more consistent basis

Archived