Tracey Emin

Guest Alex Guttenplan

Gregory House M.D.

:vrface:

I can understand slagging Emin but that's ******* Boticelli...

Art is such an all encompassing term its a horrific celebration of ignorance to just write it all off.

That's not just directed at you bb.

I just don't "get" paintings. Aye nice drawing but it doesn't make sense to me. The Mona Lisa looks fecking shite to me compared to stuff I saw my mates draw in Art in first year. I just don't get how shite like that can be considered priceless.

Needless to say first year was the only year I took art. :lol:

P.s I don't even know who Boticelli is. :unsure:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris Benoit

I remember being quite taken by this piece when I first saw it at the Australian National Art Gallery as I thought it was taking the piss out of this sort of conceptual art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Oak_Tree

Unfortunately on reading further it seems like the "artist" responsible was actually quite serious about it. This gives rise to uniwildcat38's First Law of Art "If I can do it, then it's not art."

The original is in Austria, an "artists copy" is in the Tate in London. I also have one on my bedside table in case I get thirsty during the night

I just don't "get" paintings. Aye nice drawing but it doesn't make sense to me. The Mona Lisa looks fecking shite to me compared to stuff I saw my mates draw in Art in first year. I just don't get how shite like that can be considered priceless.

That's because the Mona Lisa is shite.

Don't write off art until you've seen amazing stuff.

Gregory House M.D.

That's because the Mona Lisa is shite.

Don't write off art until you've seen amazing stuff.

Is there "amazing stuff" though?

Open your eyes and your mind and stop trying to be a "lad" and you'll see it.

Even if it just things like finding the giraffes at the top of Leith Walk funny it's a start. Art doesn't have to be serious.

Tommy Wiseau

Titian's Three Ages Of Man = not as valuable, artistically thought-provoking or aesthetically pleasing as a vehicle and draw-bar trailer with 5 axles amirite? :smuggy:

Chris Benoit

I say yes but if you are going to continually write off all art as "shite" then you'll never know.

Agree with you about the Mona Lisa though

Tommy Wiseau

Phillistines on here, imo.

As a fellow art afficionado and appreciator of all fine things, Scott, let's talk fine art. You can go first. :thumbsup:

scott_jambo

And the Israeli's aren't much better.

And like clockwork the Vetriano of comedy pops in to produce another belter. cool.gif

And like clockwork the Vetriano of comedy pops in to produce another belter. cool.gif

From you that means a lot.

And I think of myself as more like Jeff Koons, a bit surreal but ultimately shallow and derivative.

scott_jambo

As a fellow art afficionado and appreciator of all fine things, Scott, let's talk fine art. You can go first. :thumbsup:

It's always been about Cezanne and Gaudi for me Thomas. Orginality is as important as pure artistic merit for me.

Gregory House M.D.

Open your eyes and your mind and stop trying to be a "lad" and you'll see it.

Even if it just things like finding the giraffes at the top of Leith Walk funny it's a start. Art doesn't have to be serious.

I did find the dummies standing in rivers quite funny TBF.

I don't mind statues and sculptures it's just paintings I find incredibly boring. And those daft things made up of innocuous pish to represent something that you could've just put there in the first place.

WTF is this for example:

M0514%2B%2BScream.jpg

scott_jambo

And I think of myself as more like Jeff Koons, a bit surreal but ultimately shallow and derivative.

laugh.gif Oh Tazio.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Got to see a fair bit of Koons' work a couple of years ago, and I do quite like his balloon dogs :)

scott_jambo

I don't mind statues and sculptures it's just paintings I find incredibly boring. And those daft things made up of innocuous pish to represent something that you could've just put there in the first place.

WTF is this for example:

M0514%2B%2BScream.jpg

What's your favourite scary movie?

Gregory House M.D.

Titian's Three Ages Of Man = not as valuable, artistically thought-provoking or aesthetically pleasing as a vehicle and draw-bar trailer with 5 axles amirite? :smuggy:

My kind of art :greggy:

beerimage002.jpg

Tommy Wiseau

It's always been about Cezanne and Gaudi for me Thomas. Orginality is as important as pure artistic merit for me.

I enjoy Cezanne, one of my favourites in fact - I'm a bit of an impressionist fan tbh and love my Monet. Renaissance artists like Titian and Botticelli tickle my pickle most of all though as I am traditionalist at heart (very similar to my Hearts supporting credentials :smuggy: ) and fascinated by the period in general.

I do like expressionism like Franz Marc; although I know it's not to everyone's tastes, the good works always manage to elicit an emotional response from me. Can't beat some Picasso as well imo.

Offer is open to any Kickbacker who wishes to be taken round the galleries by a true art connoisseur, btw

27532_115870681767275_8770_n.jpg

WTF is this for example:

M0514%2B%2BScream.jpg

Perhaps this version is more on your wavelength?

The-Scream.jpg

scott_jambo

I enjoy Cezanne, one of my favourites in fact - I'm a bit of an impressionist fan tbh and love my Monet. Renaissance artists like Titian and Botticelli tickle my pickle most of all though as I am traditionalist at heart (very similar to my Hearts supporting credentials :smuggy: ) and fascinated by the period in general.

I do like expressionism like Franz Marc; although I know it's not to everyone's tastes, the good works always manage to elicit an emotional response from me. Can't beat some Picasso as well imo.

Offer is open to any Kickbacker who wishes to be taken round the galleries by a true art connoisseur, btw

27532_115870681767275_8770_n.jpg

Yes. I concur with these thoughts....ermm.gif

But seriously, Picasso is a favourite as well. I wont pretend to be clued up but I love artists that are instantly recognisable by their works. Cezanne, Gaudi and Picasso all fall into that category. All their works are full of life too. I challenge anyone to not find them interesting at least - even of it doesn't cater for their tastes.

Gregory House M.D.

Perhaps this version is more on your wavelength?

The-Scream.jpg

Only children and simpletons don't like paintings LULZERS.

Seriously though, paintings are dross.

WTF is this for example:

M0514%2B%2BScream.jpg

Don't mock the scream BB!

scott_jambo

In true philistine fashion I just googled Franz Marc's work.

Right up my street. Will have a gander before bedtime. :)

Gregory House M.D.

Don't mock the scream BB!

TBF it looks like a five year olds competition entry for advertising cowboys vs aliens. :lol:

uniwildcat38

The original is in Austria, an "artists copy" is in the Tate in London. I also have one on my bedside table in case I get thirsty during the night

NoRoosinAustria.jpg

jamboinglasgow

WTF is this for example:

M0514%2B%2BScream.jpg

I was going to post Edvard Munch's the Scream (or Skrik as its original title) as a reason that great art can work and bring such meaning. The Scream can be interperted in many ways, and it is a very personal expression by the artist. The figure is screaming while people carry on their everyday life (the couple walking on behind) can suggest that he is horrified by all around him and who just is wanting to scream at the world while everyone else is carrying on. Also the location is near an insane aslyum where his sister was an inmate at the time, so that may well have influenced him. The figure who is human like but still strikingly unhuman to us adds to the Depersonalization of the scream and isolation.

I find it speaks volumes as it comes from a troubled mind whose able to put that pain and anguish onto a canvas. Some of the greatest works of art come from people in such places. Van Gogh had a very troubled mind yet painted some great paintings which may not look as dramatic as some pictures but the style and colour of them make them unique. To me most modern art does not connect with me, there just doesn't feel like anything special in them, many feel like the artist was stuck for an idea, came up with a wacky idea, put it together then thought up a title that is an attempt at a pun/joke and try to get across the point which is philosophical or political (for example say an artist wrapped fifty dollar bills around 50 fish, and got them arranged into a giant dollar sign then called it "Where is the sole?")

Let's be honest, 99% of art is pish.

We all have things we like about art or photography. For example, I love black and white cityscapes, absolutely love them. I would have them everywhere if I had the room, or the money. I also quite like Jack Vettriano.

I do however hate pretty much all forms of art-that-isn't-art My general sentiment towards it is the artists themselves are tossers, and aren't right in the head. Throwing a few cardboard boxes into an empty room, an unmade bed, or a random throwing of paint at a canvas is not real art. In no way, shape or form is it art, or should anyone ever be under the impression it is. In their head they may be thinking "Oh, people can interpret this in their own way" but it's rubbish.

I should look at a painting and know what it is. I shouldn't have to sit with a book of "Common cryptic metaphors and their uses" trying to decipher it.

Tommy Wiseau

Scott, if you're liking the Franz Marc stuff, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner is along similar lines and definitely very recognisable in style. Berlin Street Scene is another personal favourite. :smuggy:

I would deconstruct it for you and explain my interpretation, but tbh now I have seen the light and realised that the truly intelligent can cut through the bullshit and understand that paintings are really just crap. Lorries, for example, are much better. B)

I was going to post Edvard Munch's the Scream (or Skrik as its original title) as a reason that great art can work and bring such meaning. The Scream can be interperted in many ways, and it is a very personal expression by the artist. The figure is screaming while people carry on their everyday life (the couple walking on behind) can suggest that he is horrified by all around him and who just is wanting to scream at the world while everyone else is carrying on. Also the location is near an insane aslyum where his sister was an inmate at the time, so that may well have influenced him. The figure who is human like but still strikingly unhuman to us adds to the Depersonalization of the scream and isolation.

I find it speaks volumes as it comes from a troubled mind whose able to put that pain and anguish onto a canvas. Some of the greatest works of art come from people in such places. Van Gogh had a very troubled mind yet painted some great paintings which may not look as dramatic as some pictures but the style and colour of them make them unique. To me most modern art does not connect with me, there just doesn't feel like anything special in them, many feel like the artist was stuck for an idea, came up with a wacky idea, put it together then thought up a title that is an attempt at a pun/joke and try to get across the point which is philosophical or political (for example say an artist wrapped fifty dollar bills around 50 fish, and got them arranged into a giant dollar sign then called it "Where is the sole?")

Bit in bold is why I like The Scream. In higher drama we used The Scream as a starting point for one of our nabs and every group came up with something completely different.

Gregory House M.D.

I like this:

Peek_A_Boo.jpg

All that cryptic stuff just bores me.

Gregory House M.D.

There's nothing remotely cryptic about The Scream.

I just dont like thinking about something I look at. I want to know instantly what it means and whether it means anything. :lol:

The Screams a pile of shite if you ask me but there you go. :lol:

I just dont like thinking about something I look at. I want to know instantly what it means and whether it means anything. :lol:

It is instantly obvious what The Scream "means", and I have yet to meet someone in real life who doesn't get it. Like a lot of art, each person who sees the work will see it a little differently to everyone else, and for that reason there are many ways to interpret it. But the fundamental point is about as easy to understand as a headline in the Sun - no thinking required at all.

Unless of course you're blind, in which case you can hardly be blamed for not getting it.

Chad Sexington

I've got the scream hanging up in my hoose :lol:

As much as I find your view that all art is shite ludicrous, I'll put that down to the arrogance of youth.

You have made me chuckle a couple of times on this thread though :lol:

Gregory House M.D.

It is instantly obvious what The Scream "means", and I have yet to meet someone in real life who doesn't get it. Like a lot of art, each person who sees the work will see it a little differently to everyone else, and for that reason there are many ways to interpret it. But the fundamental point is about as easy to understand as a headline in the Sun - no thinking required at all.

Unless of course you're blind, in which case you can hardly be blamed for not getting it.

Must be blind then. Just look like a mad drawing drawn round a spaceraider to me.

So everyone interprets it differently but it's instantaneously obvious what ot means?

:interesting:

LeylandJambo

Rachel Whiteread: imposter.

"Here's some boxes an stuff that I arranged vaguely neatly."

artwork_images_413_181478_rachel-whiteread-780916.jpg

Anyone sold on this idea, to borrow from Clarkson, needs taken outside and shot.

If this is classed as art then the guys that build the pallets that go on my truck could make a fortune

Guest Just Came To Say Kello

Oh look a bursd standing on a shell. That's me seen the light.

:rofl: :rofl:

My OP rant was mainly about YBAs btw. I don't hate all art. I just hate most "modern" art.

Music is art, and I love music. Even modern stuff.

Must be blind then. Just look like a mad drawing drawn round a spaceraider to me.

So everyone interprets it differently but it's instantaneously obvious what ot means?

:interesting:

I interpret the painting to be a reflection of atrocities committed on the Bridge of Doom every derby day.

Tommy Wiseau

TBF, it would be top class trolling by BB on this one if he wasn't wilfully making himself out to be thick as pig shit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gregory House M.D.

TBF, it would be top class trolling by BB on this one if he wasn't wilfully making himself out to be thick as pig shit :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll gladly admit to being thick as **** when it comes to art. :lol: I just don't get it.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It irks me that she's considered talented. She's not. Don't give me any of this "you just don't get it" pish, either.

Also, she's a moany boot with a face like a slapped arse for someone who's probably the jammiest woman alive.

Artist-Tracey-Emin-new-ex-007.jpg

Hope she stands on a plug.

Most 'modern art' can just **** right off, tbh. I worked the Edinburgh Art Fair about 18 months ago and I saw a painting sell for ?3k that was basically just a canvas with some red paint brushed randomly over it. I did better than that in P4 when I painted about my day out at Laser Quest and my teacher didn't really like it.

Bit in red pisses me right off... The last defence of the pretentious tosser who cannae explain themselves properly, it is up there with "God works in mysterious ways"... Hogwash.

I don't rate photography as an art form at all.

It's useful for recording history, chronicling, primary evidence, visual aid, preserving happy memories etc but as an art form, I think it's too accessible to show who's talented and who's not. Anyone can take a decent photo given the right equipment. Some photos are cool to look at but it still requires so little skill to take that to me, it's just a photo.

Some guy has opened a photo gallery shop near me in the West End and the current exhibition is full of portraits of local neds looking sad or laughing or threatening with price tags of ?125. Who the hell is going to want some local ned who probably just robbed their car last week on their wall? It's pretentious and a total "Emperor's New Clothes" scenario.

Every tosser with a camera thinks they're an artist these days.

Let's see you draw or paint what your photographing and see what talent you have.

It's just not for me.

I'll gladly admit to being thick as **** when it comes to art. :lol: I just don't get it.

Not 'getting' something doesn't automatically make it crap tho?

I used to get annoyed at school when doing interpretation of texts and, in particular, poems in English. I'd argue blind that people were divining meaning out of the writing that just wasn't there. Whilst in some cases I'd still argue that this is true, for the most part it was my own stubbornly literal reading of the pieces that was at fault.

It's like taking a shite on a white floor and claiming it has some deeper meaning than it just being a shite.

Chancing *******s.

:what:

jacqueslouisdavid_theinterventionofthesabinewomen.jpg

Surely the whole point of art is for the individual to exercise their mind and take from the piece what they want and/or interpret?

One of my favourite galleries is the Stedjlik Modern Art Gallery in Amsterdam. They have some tremendous exhibits.

Further to Cosa's comments earlier regarding photography, I saw an exhibition of Dennis Hopper's own art collection there, along with many of his photographs. These were outstanding. Photos capture a moment in time and are perhaps more aesthetic than allegorical, however they can still convey a powerful message and this makes it art in my view.

Vietnam_Execution.jpg

Surely the whole point of art is for the individual to exercise their mind and take from the piece what they want and/or interpret?

One of my favourite galleries is the Stedjlik Modern Art Gallery in Amsterdam. They have some tremendous exhibits.

Further to Cosa's comments earlier regarding photography, I saw an exhibition of Dennis Hopper's own art collection there, along with many of his photographs. These were outstanding. Photos capture a moment in time and are perhaps more aesthetic than allegorical, however they can still convey a powerful message and this makes it art in my view.

Vietnam_Execution.jpg

As I said, they're certainly useful. I just think that amount of talent required to be a photographer is minimal. It's more functional than artistic in my view and the amount of pretension that goes with the field is absurd. It's for people who want to be artists but don't have the talent to draw, paint or sculpt. They can roll with their pretentious nature and it's too subjective to call them charlatans.

Archived