Tracey Emin

Guest Alex Guttenplan

Sorry to butt in, but the artistic side of things isn't, imo, about how technically adept the artist is. The "art" is the thought that is eventually visualised in the painting, photo, cut in half shark etc etc etc

So while photography, from a technical point of view, may be easier to access and do than an oil painting, it doesn't make the end result any more less artistic. IMO.

I agree with this, it isn't the medium, it is what is created. You could create a technically superb piece of stonework for a building and it wouldn't necessarily be art, but you could crudely bash one about without any skill but create something you envisaged that is quite a fantastic piece of art.

Art doesn't have to be functional, though it can be, some of the most artistic and fantastic photographs I have seen aren't even technically that good, but that doesn't matter.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take your point and I fully understand what you're saying.

However, my appreciation of art comes from a place of talent. I get that the ideas and concepts are all important, I just don't take as much from a piece that I don't rate the technique behind it. The shark thing is cool and I get that it's the idea behind it but it's cool to me because I get to see a cross section of shark anatomy, not the idea behind it or the technique to create it. It's more an interesting biological exhibit rather than a piece of art IMO but I know what you mean anyway.

I just don't rate photography as an art as it's mostly pretension over talent. That's just my view.

Tbh it sounds like you are appreciating things from a different perspective rather than evaluating things on artistic integrity. The Burj al Arab is a engineering masterpiece and I appreciate the talent that it took to create but I wouldn't consider it art or evaluate it from that perspective. However engineers can create art, just as photographers can, art doesn't need to be created from incredible skill, it can be really simple. You sound like you look to appreciate things from the skill that it takes to make them, which many things are demonstrate incredible skill but are not artistic in any way.

Kalamazoo Jambo

This is precisely the sort of thing that gives me a negative attitude to photo art.

You shouldn't dwell on the negatives - just wait to see what develops.

Fair enough, I've maybe just been over-exposed to dodgy stuff.

Living in the West End will do that for you I think. One of my mates is currently trying to find somewhere to exhibit a series of black and white photos he's taken of his giant glass bong, all from odd angles. :huh:

Some even have smoke in them. :huh:

One is in colour. :huh:

This is precisely the sort of thing that gives me a negative attitude to photo art.

There is rubbish work in every discipline though.

I like tattoos.

Custom Inc near my flat in Glasgow are doing some amazing stuff.

Check their website.

Correct, but it's not some schemie bam with a tattoo gun purchased off the Internet claiming to be an artist.

Good tattoos done properly can look very artistic and impressive, but as you have both said its important not to confuse amateur chancers with true professionals.

Pedant's Corner (or is it pedants corner?) (or is it pedants' corner?)

It's Pseuds Corner

Typo hunter, jeezo. (or is it Jeeso ;-))

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer Hirst's work there. I feel that he's refined the originals. He's created some great stuff, even if he seems confused about whether he stole the ideas or not.

I like Damien Hirst though.

Guest Just Came To Say Kello

I prefer Hirst's work there. I feel that he's refined the originals. He's created some great stuff, even if he seems confused about whether he stole the ideas or not.

I like Damien Hirst though.

....aaaaaand we're no longer friends.

....aaaaaand we're no longer friends.

Let's be honest, that's your loss.

Archived