Selfish Ignorant Parents

A Boy Named Crow

Ever since the ludicrous decision to include Cafe Nero in the smoking ban, coffee drinking has become a shameful thing I ican only indulge in at home :sad:

Or sometimes I take my hazelnut latte to the playpark where I can blow my smoke at toddlers.

Before anyone says, that reminds me of one of my favourite insults.

A good friend when we bumped into an old uni aquaintance at the pub, who was quite frankly, a bit of tw@t.

Mate: 'Did I not see you yesterday?'

Tw@t: 'I don't think so, no. Where?'

Mate: 'In the park, looking at kids.'

That will definitely be plagiarised.

Since becoming a Dad the smoking has stopped.

Off to Amsterdam on Friday "sans enfant" so binge smoking will be the order of the day!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glamorgan Jambo
CI you gotta stop quoting whitney lol

jedi, i don't doubt that some people DO make sure their kids behave, but people with kids don;t always look out for them. they let them run riot and cause mayhem, hell, even scream the house down, and when you pay as much for a holiday then everyone is entitled to a little peace and quiet.

i want everyone to be happy, and i've always been that way, but i also want to be happy myself, and that includes not having to argue with people too intent on drinking relaxing themselves rather than letting everyone else suffer while they lay back in their seat and let kids act like spoiled brats.

if its sporadic screaming or misbehaving and the parent looks like they are trying to calm them down or stop the misbehaviour then fair play, but to sit back and go "well, i'm relaxing now so tough" that is when i wanna go mental at them!

Regarding plane flights although its 70% the parents fault it's also 30% the airlines. I've flown to and from the states twice in the last month on BA. First from Gatwick to Orlando and back on a plane full of kids (including my own) and in all honesty there were no problems. the airline provided plenty films, colouring books, gave the kids their food first and the parents generally knew what was going on on the plane, what their reponsibilities were. Second time was last week to and from New York when I was on business. The return flight on Saturday (the day time flight) had plenty families there and they all behaved fine but again the airline knew how to handle the kids and the parents were I guess quite regular flyers.

The moral of the story is choose your airline well and you'll also choose your travelling companions well and should have no problems. If you're organised and plan well in advance you can get fares just as good as you can on charter airlines. beleive you me it was actually cheaper flying BA to Orlando than Fly Globespan and all the other charter airlines when i sorted it out about a year before we travelled.

What exactly does Mr Bolton "Not have a scoobie" about? Do you consider it acceptable that we must endure the poor manners of others while they inflict their little darlings on the rest of us? If one is paying for a meal or a seat on a long haul flight, one should expect to be allowed to enjoy their purchase without it being completely ruined by the actions of another. It is perfectly reaonable to expect to go out for a meal or a coffee and not have to endure an atmosphere that is more akin to a primary achool playground. It is clear that many on this thread have children, they are completely blind to how overwhelmingly iritating children can be. There used to be a wonderful saying, children should be seen and not heard. Whatever happened to this idea?

Are you serious? Are you really saying children should not be allowed anywhere you are trying to enjoy yourself?

Do you think kids should be confined to either their home or their school?

There are some places where kids should not go or if they do be impeccably behaved but using some of the logic on here kids shouldn't even be allowed in the local park in case you are trying to enjoy a picnic or something.

Jambojohnnyboy

The fact of the matter is that some adults can be as bad as kids if not worse, I remember sitting with the other half having a meal out towards the end of last year and us being forced out following some drunken lass spewing all over her pals chair while the rest of her pals either shot outside for a fag or sat and watched as she continued vomiting. With the smell starting to waft around the restaurant it soon started to empty. So in my book, regardless of age, your time out can be ruined by anyone not just kids.

A Boy Named Crow

To answer some of the more recent comments...

Yes I agree that adults can be more ignorant than children, that is the point. The adults insist on bringing the children to places where they neither want to be nor are wanted. It's not the kid's fault at all.

Segregation is a cracking idea. I don't see why it being astonishingly noisy in the kids section of a plane would be a problem. Beter that than an all over covering of irritation!

I do think there are places children don't belong, that doesn't mean that they should be locked up, or does it...no seriously it doesn't. In the same way as most adults really don't belong in a playground - doen't mean they need put under house arrest. This does not mean I hate children, it just means their parents need to show a bit of common sense when deciding where to take them.

Parenting licenses are not such a crazy idea. Without wanting to give myself awa as a complete mentalist, human rights are entirely contrived. Why should it be that everybody is allowed to produce and mould another human life. It's not fair on the kid or the rest of us is it?

The moral of the story is choose your airline well and you'll also choose your travelling companions well and should have no problems. If you're organised and plan well in advance you can get fares just as good as you can on charter airlines. beleive you me it was actually cheaper flying BA to Orlando than Fly Globespan and all the other charter airlines when i sorted it out about a year before we travelled.

we flew with BA

Glamorgan Jambo
we flew with BA

Oops. That's the end of my career as a travel advisor.

Shoot the parents?

I am a parent of two young boys but I have some sympathy for the OP. I am very lucky in that my five year-old has been able to go to restaurants since he was a toddler and sit quietly in his seat. He has only had one tantrum and I took him straight out of the restaurant, had a word and we've never had a problem since. I now have a young baby and I would never take him into a non-family orientated restaurant because children are too unpredictable at that age. I find it very annoying when I see young kids running about in 'adult' restaurants, my personal feeling is that in those circumstances the parents have shown a lack of judgement and the management should reserve the right to tell them to leave if they are disturbing other customers. As someone correctly said, I love my own kids but I have little patience with everyone elses.

Walter Payton
Oops. That's the end of my career as a travel advisor.

Shoot the parents?

Drug the kids- can't believe nobody's suggested it yet. Doesn't matter whether you're going for coffee or going on a plane, some well measured Chluoroform can guarantee you won't hear a peep from them. Sorted.

Boaby Ewing
Drug the kids- can't believe nobody's suggested it yet. Doesn't matter whether you're going for coffee or going on a plane, some well measured Chluoroform can guarantee you won't hear a peep from them. Sorted.

Well said Gerry, well said.

I have a problem with people who go out to get coffee from coffee shops.

Skinny latte? Cappacino?

Pretentious pile of pish.

Absolutely spot on!

'Look at me, i like to drink elaborate coffee from soup bowls in public'

John Findlay

I can only deduct that the OP was a test tube baby. Their father caught them just in time.

John 45yrs old in two days time and going to be a dad again in 2/3 months time. Bring it on.

John

First time I have been on here and first thread I have properly read and I can spot a lot of people who have at some point contracted the 'taking themselves rather seriously' illness suffered by a number of folk in todays world. And deary me you are all very defensive.

I also agree some sort of system to prevent junkies, morons and generally unsuitable people from having kids.

I also agree some sort of system to prevent junkies, morons and generally unsuitable people from having kids.

Who has the right to decide who is 'suitable' to have kids - it all depends on somebody's opinion of what is suitable, which I'm sure would vary from person to person anyway.

Also, how would you enforce it?

Keep people who are 'unsuitable' away from the opposite sex? Drug them to make them unfertile?

I'm not disagreeing that some people do not make good parents, its unrealistic to think that a system like that would actually work though.

A Boy Named Crow
Who has the right to decide who is 'suitable' to have kids - it all depends on somebody's opinion of what is suitable, which I'm sure would vary from person to person anyway.

Also, how would you enforce it?

Keep people who are 'unsuitable' away from the opposite sex? Drug them to make them unfertile?

I'm not disagreeing that some people do not make good parents, its unrealistic to think that a system like that would actually work though.

Who decides if you're a suitable candidate for a driving license? All you need are a few key indicators and a panel to issue the approvals. If you have a wean without the license you get it taken from you forthwith. It's simple really if everybody knows the score, and thre are plenty of families out there looking to adopt!

Before anybody asks, I'm not going to lay down what I think the indicators should be, clearly these would offend quite a few of the more selfish and ignorant posters on this thread.

I do think there are places children don't belong, that doesn't mean that they should be locked up, or does it...no seriously it doesn't. In the same way as most adults really don't belong in a playground - doen't mean they need put under house arrest.

Could you please name some of these places where children don't belong?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Since this thread seems to be the place to be a tosser at the moment I'm adding my bit. :)

I think people who don't like children/have no desire to have children are strange and a bit selfish.

Now where's that tin hat ....

Nelly Terraces

As a pastime, I enjoy it when my friends kids are out and about. I tend to get along with kids, they're great, they've no pretentions and are innocently humorous. What I like to do is get them into a state of excitement whereby they are rendered almost uncontrolable. At that point I tend to hand them back to the despairing parent to deal with. See, they way I look at it is, I get all the fun time with the nippers, and they have to deal with all the other stuff, like feeding them, and putting up with their constant demands.

I'm never having kids. I'm too selfish. Just enjoy the fun times with them - back to Mummy and Daddy to deal with the boring stuff after that.

What a complete git eh readers!:biggrin:

A Boy Named Crow
Since this thread seems to be the place to be a tosser at the moment I'm adding my bit. :)

I think people who don't like children/have no desire to have children are strange and a bit selfish.

Now where's that tin hat ....

I've heard this many times from muppets who rushed into having kids and realised too late hat a mistake it was - very few will ever admit to it, but you know it's true.

It staggers me that you can say somebody is selfish just because they don't feel the need to bring another hungry mouth into this world. If you don't want kids you don't want kids, simple. What is selfish is people with very poor social skills, low intellect and whose family tree is probably lacking a few branches, imposing themselves as parents on some poor wee mite that'll never have a chance!

michael_bolton
I can only deduct that the OP was a test tube baby. Their father caught them just in time.

John 45yrs old in two days time and going to be a dad again in 2/3 months time. Bring it on.

John

I think it might have been FBSHD who brought up the "taking yourself awfully seriously" disease. Jings.

Nelly Terraces

The Who said 'The Kids are Alright'.

That does it for me. If The Who said it then it must be true.:biggrin:

NT - aged 40 and a bit.

A Boy Named Crow
Could you please name some of these places where children don't belong?

Sure, restaurants, cafes, pubs, the non-family section parts of football stadia, buses, trains...

Sure, restaurants, cafes, pubs, the non-family section parts of football stadia, buses, trains...

What a slaverin erse. All the above, bar a pub are ideal places to take kids. What a selfish plum you really are.

So in your wee bubble world, bairns have to stand outside and starve, walk home, whilst dad is at the game. I am on my 4th kid, and hope I sit beside you at Tynie one day with them all. I'll ask them to do your nut in.

:)

Nelly Terraces
What a slaverin erse. All the above, bar a pub are ideal places to take kids. What a selfish plum you really are.

So in your wee bubble world, bairns have to stand outside and starve, walk home, whilst dad is at the game. I am on my 4th kid, and hope I sit beside you at Tynie one day with them all. I'll ask them to do your nut in.

:)

Haha, quality!:biggrin:

Buffalo Bill

As a parent, I'm very conscious about the impact my one year old daughter has in public.

The other day for instance, I was in a coffee shop in Stockbridge and I needed to feed her some dinner. I?m lucky, because apart from her flirting with anyone who catches her eye, she is just a wee angel and I love her to bits *gets emotional*.

But if she did happen to kick off, and even the best behaved ones do so from time to time, I?d have to seriously think about making a sharp exit.

Kids do stuff. It happens. But as long as the parent or guardian shows that they care and are on hand then I would hope a bit of toleration from others would ensue.

Like Hearts needing a manager, it?s just a simple case of common sense.

Buffalo Bill

Kids do stuff. It happens. But as long as the parent or guardian shows that they care and are on hand then I would hope a bit of toleration from others would ensue.

thats the crux of the matter

i'll happily admit i'm not a kid person, but they come to me like flies to shecht, and i tolerate them, hell even indulge them sometimes. its the ones who are allowed to run riot while the parents let them, doing nothing about it, and dishing out filthy looks or whatever to anyone having the audacity to moan about it.

As a parent, I'm very conscious about the impact my one year old daughter has in public.

The other day for instance, I was in a coffee shop in Stockbridge and I needed to feed her some dinner. I?m lucky, because apart from her flirting with anyone who catches her eye, she is just a wee angel and I love her to bits *gets emotional*.

But if she did happen to kick off, and even the best behaved ones do so from time to time, I?d have to seriously think about making a sharp exit.

Like Hearts needing a manager, it?s just a simple case of common sense.

Buffalo Bill

I think this is the most sensible post yet on this subject.If I see that the parents are making an effort I am much more tolerant but when Juniors running amock and mummy/daddy are not giving a toss thats what really bugs me.If they dont want the responsibility of looking after their kids they shouldnt have them.

I appreciate that this has been picked up on already, but it really is ironic that the title of this thread refers to selfishness and ignorance.

First of all, pubs - kids aren't allowed into the majority of pubs, so if you're going to go into one of the comparatively few where they are actually allowed, what the **** do you expect?

Restaurants and cafes, well, that's just silly - did your parents never take you out for family meals as a youngster?

Buses and trains - yes, every parent in the world owns a car and has a driving licence, and those who don't should just walk absolutely everywhere.

Non family sections of football stadia - seriously, who the **** cares?

Walter Payton

Non family sections of football stadia - seriously, who the **** cares?

The guy in the row behind me in N1 almost always has a toddler on his shoulders- toddlers impeccably behaved (for N1 anyway). Still reckon the toddler could have JamboN1874 though, it's just the way N1 breeds them...

Ron Burgundy
I think this thread has truely shown up the most miserable, self-centred, egotistical, selfish bunch of folk we have seen on JKB for a long time.

Well done to you all.

It'll be great to see how you get on with your own kids in the future. You obviously have it all worked out! LOL.

I agree.Didn't realise there were so many Jaffa's amongst the Hearts support.

Archived