Selfish Ignorant Parents

A Boy Named Crow

Okie dokie Mr X, I'm going to ask you to justify each of the terms in bold - the challenge for you being, whilst attempting to justify your use of these words, you must not prove my point!

Okie dokie, if you insist. Firstly though, my apologies for calling you an erse. That was uncalled for.

Ignorant - You admit to not having children, therefore you have no idea what parenting involves. Even the best behaved child, with the sweetest nature, can kick off once in a while. This doesn't mean the parents are selfish or ignorant.

Petulant - Seems to me you've been p#ssed off with some incident in a Starbucks or whatever and have written this thread in a huff, without thinking it through.

Mean-spirited - Precisely what it means. It's a daft thread, completely unnecessary, and which I found personally insulting.

Ill-informed - Same as ignorant, I suppose. You don't have kids, so you've no idea what it's like.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okie dokie, if you insist. Firstly though, my apologies for calling you an erse. That was uncalled for.

Ignorant - You admit to not having children, therefore you have no idea what parenting involves. Even the best behaved child, with the sweetest nature, can kick off once in a while. This doesn't mean the parents are selfish or ignorant.

Petulant - Seems to me you've been p#ssed off with some incident in a Starbucks or whatever and have written this thread in a huff, without thinking it through.

Mean-spirited - Precisely what it means. It's a daft thread, completely unnecessary, and which I found personally insulting.

Ill-informed - Same as ignorant, I suppose. You don't have kids, so you've no idea what it's like.

:fing25:

i'm just home from my holiday where i had to suffer a child of about 1 year old scream the entire flight in the seat in front of me.... SEVEN HOURS OF SCREAMING!

That sounds like a total nightmare.

I find planes quite stressful at the best of times because i'm 6ft3 and i always seem to get some total sack sitting in front of me who want to recline their seats and try to break my legs. Screaming kid on top of that would drive me mental as well.

Okie dokie Mr X, I'm going to ask you to justify each of the terms in bold - the challenge for you being, whilst attempting to justify your use of these words, you must not prove my point!

arod-owned-by-tek.jpg

Someone posts an ignorant, petulant, mean-spirited and ill-informed thread, I tell them to grow up and that proves their point? I beg to differ.

And to those who've yet to have children, good luck when trying to teach and 18 month-old 'respect for others'. Let the rest of us know how you get on with that, will you?

The point is though its YOUR responsibility to at least make an effort to teach your children to respect other people and not make a plane journey or a meal in a resturaunt a nightmare for others.Sadly too many parents either just dont care or are too lazy to bother.

A Boy Named Crow

From the above comments it would appear you are completely missing the point of the thread. I am not having a go at the other people's parenting skills (wouldn't be my place to do so). What I am doing is having a go at their social skils as human beings. If somebody went into arestaurant and started kicking off, shouting banging the table etc everybody else would call them for what they are, an *******! People who take children into those situations in the full knowledge that this is likely to happen are being assholes by proxy through heir children. It's not the kid's fault, it's what they do.

As I said, this has absolutely nothing to do with "parenting skills", it's just manners.

Personally insulting? Are you the kind of person who inflicts their children on those arond them with scant regard for the feelings of others? If so, then yes, feel insulted!

Petulant? You'd be right, I have been p#ssed off recently - but don't think I haven't thought this through, unlike a lot of the knee-jerk reactions you'll read above.

michael_bolton

The OP is absolutely spot on. I think the tone of many of the replies on this thread undeline the OP's original point.

Many of the posters on this thread have displayed a complete lack of manners, and in many cases intelligence. With children being brought up in such a way we end up with the problems described in the OP.

I hate it when people bring weans to places where I'm trying to enjoy myself.

I agree entirely about weans on planes. There's nothing worse than a daft parent allowing the wean to run around on a plane screaming etc, then just smile at you as if to say "cute, isn't he?". NO! HE'S A PAIN IN THE ERSE!

Also weans at the football. I wouldn't make the family section an option, I'd make in compulsary for weans to be in the family section away from us adults who want to have a good time.

I think many of the prolems we have could be sorted by having some kind of licence system for parents. Some people just aren't suitable for the job, and look at what kind of people they poduce.

Keep your weans out of my life.:dog:

The OP is absolutely spot on. I think the tone of many of the replies on this thread undeline the OP's original point.

Many of the posters on this thread have displayed a complete lack of manners, and in many cases intelligence. With children being brought up in such a way we end up with the problems described in the OP.

I agree entirely about weans on planes. There's nothing worse than a daft parent allowing the wean to run around on a plane screaming etc, then just smile at you as if to say "cute, isn't he?". NO! HE'S A PAIN IN THE ERSE!

Also weans at the football. I wouldn't make the family section an option, I'd make in compulsary for weans to be in the family section away from us adults who want to have a good time.

I think many of the prolems we have could be sorted by having some kind of licence system for parents. Some people just aren't suitable for the job, and look at what kind of people they poduce.

You have not got a scooby mate.

According to you kids should not be in places where you are trying to enjoy yourself. That would include um...lets think now......pretty much everywere apart from where you work....assuming you work?

Have a word.

A Boy Named Crow
You have not got a scooby mate.

According to you kids should not be in places where you are trying to enjoy yourself. That would include um...lets think now......pretty much everywere apart from where you work....assuming you work?

Have a word.

What exactly does Mr Bolton "Not have a scoobie" about? Do you consider it acceptable that we must endure the poor manners of others while they inflict their little darlings on the rest of us? If one is paying for a meal or a seat on a long haul flight, one should expect to be allowed to enjoy their purchase without it being completely ruined by the actions of another. It is perfectly reaonable to expect to go out for a meal or a coffee and not have to endure an atmosphere that is more akin to a primary achool playground. It is clear that many on this thread have children, they are completely blind to how overwhelmingly iritating children can be. There used to be a wonderful saying, children should be seen and not heard. Whatever happened to this idea?

chester copperpot

Oh the irony, you talk about intelligence, yet you make 3 spelling mistakes.:confused:;)

Oh and BTW, kids are like farts, you only like your own. I hate other people's kids.

What exactly does Mr Bolton "Not have a scoobie" about? Do you consider it acceptable that we must endure the poor manners of others while they inflict their little darlings on the rest of us? If one is paying for a meal or a seat on a long haul flight, one should expect to be allowed to enjoy their purchase without it being completely ruined by the actions of another. It is perfectly reaonable to expect to go out for a meal or a coffee and not have to endure an atmosphere that is more akin to a primary achool playground. It is clear that many on this thread have children, they are completely blind to how overwhelmingly iritating children can be. There used to be a wonderful saying, children should be seen and not heard. Whatever happened to this idea?

I was on a flight to Lanzarote a couple of years ago and there was several kids running around all over the place creating havoc with their parents too interested in getting stuck into the drink. The cabin crew eventually had to make an announcment to request that the parents control their offspring as it was only a matter of time before their would be an accident.It was awful no one could get in the toilet as the kids thought it was a great game to lock themselves in .The really annoying thing from our point of view was that it was during term time and the little brats shouldnt even have been there .We always go on holiday at the quiet times to try and avoid this nonsense but that brings us back to SELFISH PARENTS they even screw up their kids education just so they can get a cheap week on the batter abroad.

A Boy Named Crow
Oh the irony, you talk about intelligence, yet you make 3 spelling mistakes.:confused:;)

Oh and BTW, kids are like farts, you only like your own. I hate other people's kids.

In fairness to Mr Bolton, I know what kind of night he had last night. Those will be hangover induced typos!

I like the fart analogy. How would some of the people on here feel if they were out for a meal and I kept breaking wind whilst walking past their table? I'm sure they would all have something to say about it. Of course I wouldn't dream of actually doing something like that, it's a question of manners!;)

Boaby Ewing

I've a lot of sympathy with the OP - his initial post might have been ill tempered but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a point.

Now I don't think children should be banned from all places adults go to have fun, but parents need to realise that what might look like their own child's charming exuberance to them can be feckin' annoying for everyone else.

If a kid has a tantrum in a restaurant or the like, then why not take them outside 'til you can calm them down? And if they get bored and can't sit still, I can't understand for the life of me why some parents will let their kids go walking about. Not only is it annoying for other customers but it's downright dangerous.

Kids in pubs anytime after about 4 pm is just wrong. I don't go to the local playgroup and crack open a beer.

It might always have been like this, but it strikes me that it's got worse over the last few years, as everyone is more concerned about their own right to go wherever they want, rather than caring about their responsibilty to other customers who are looking to relax.

Can't really blame parents for how their kids might behave on a long haul flight though - but I think airlines should try and sit families with young kids in the same area of the plane.

marshallschunkychicken

so can i ask...were you locked up until you were an acceptable age to go out in public? I don't totally disagree with your points I just think it is unreal to expect people not to take their children out! also, do you guys honestly think that because you are somewhere everyone should make life easier for you? there have been many times i have been somewhere trying to relax and adults have ruined it....wouldnt dream of saying those adults shouldnt be allowed out if cant behave!

by the way i don't have kids so i am not on the defensive

I've a lot of sympathy with the OP - his initial post might have been ill tempered but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a point.

Now I don't think children should be banned from all places adults go to have fun, but parents need to realise that what might look like their own child's charming exuberance to them can be feckin' annoying for everyone else.

If a kid has a tantrum in a restaurant or the like, then why not take them outside 'til you can calm them down? And if they get bored and can't sit still, I can't understand for the life of me why some parents will let their kids go walking about. Not only is it annoying for other customers but it's downright dangerous.

Kids in pubs anytime after about 4 pm is just wrong. I don't go to the local playgroup and crack open a beer.

It might always have been like this, but it strikes me that it's got worse over the last few years, as everyone is more concerned about their own right to go wherever they want, rather than caring about their responsibilty to other customers who are looking to relax.

Can't really blame parents for how their kids might behave on a long haul flight though - but I think airlines should try and sit families with young kids in the same area of the plane.

As always Dave, yours is the best post on the thread. Especially the part emboldened.

Kalamazoo Jambo
Make your choice, be a parent or be an adult, but do not inflict your brats on me!

Did you like 'Children of Men'? :laugh:

At what age would you think it was acceptable for kids to be allowed out in public then (considering that all children mature at different times)? Were you kept inside until this age? Never taken out to a coffee shop, a restaurant, on holiday etc.

Whilst i can understand what you mean about some parents ignoring their children and letting them run riot, i think it is unfair to generalise that as the norm. Kids also have different temperaments, some are well behaved and some aren't, no matter what the parents do to try & change it.

I don't think that children should be spending vast amounts of times in pubs etc. watching their parents get bladdered, but i wouldn't say that coffee shops and restaurants are the same.

One of the major problems in society nowadays is that families don't actually spend time communicating with each other (e.g. sitting down to eat dinner together without a TV). If going out for a family meal is the way to spend time together surely its a good thing.

And for what its worth most of the kids I've seen out in restaurants do know how to behave, and if they start screaming they are told to be quiet/removed from the situation. Maybe I just don't go to the right places at the right times though!

At the end of the day there are people/things in life that annoy all of us. If you get to ban kids from places because they get on your nerves where does it stop? Should gay people be banned just because they annoy anyone who is homophobic? Should people who are loud be banned because some people want to sit in peace & quiet?

I have a problem with people who go out to get coffee from coffee shops.

Skinny latte? Cappacino?

Pretentious pile of pish.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

We were all kids once upon a time ya miserable barstewards!

I'd rather be sitting next to kids laughing/screaming/running about than some boring pretentious tosspot.

I think this thread has truely shown up the most miserable, self-centred, egotistical, selfish bunch of folk we have seen on JKB for a long time.

Well done to you all.

It'll be great to see how you get on with your own kids in the future. You obviously have it all worked out! LOL.

I'm not sure if the OP was referring to the examples you mention though Dave. If my boy started kicking off in public damn right he would be brought into line. The crux here is surely not about the children per se, but rather the attitude of the parents, which you do allude to.

As for flights, Beverley you try reasoning with a one year old in a pressurised tin whose ears are popping and they really haven't a Danny what's going on. As the ability to talk is beyond most one year olds, screaming is a good barometer of unrest.

Dave your comment re seating is so obvious and good sense and that immediately precludes it from any service industry whatsoever.

yvonnejambo
At what age would you think it was acceptable for kids to be allowed out in public then (considering that all children mature at different times)? Were you kept inside until this age? Never taken out to a coffee shop, a restaurant, on holiday etc.

Whilst i can understand what you mean about some parents ignoring their children and letting them run riot, i think it is unfair to generalise that as the norm. Kids also have different temperaments, some are well behaved and some aren't, no matter what the parents do to try & change it.

I don't think that children should be spending vast amounts of times in pubs etc. watching their parents get bladdered, but i wouldn't say that coffee shops and restaurants are the same.

One of the major problems in society nowadays is that families don't actually spend time communicating with each other (e.g. sitting down to eat dinner together without a TV). If going out for a family meal is the way to spend time together surely its a good thing.

And for what its worth most of the kids I've seen out in restaurants do know how to behave, and if they start screaming they are told to be quiet/removed from the situation. Maybe I just don't go to the right places at the right times though!

At the end of the day there are people/things in life that annoy all of us. If you get to ban kids from places because they get on your nerves where does it stop? Should gay people be banned just because they annoy anyone who is homophobic? Should people who are loud be banned because some people want to sit in peace & quiet?

Spot on

I also find that the most uncivilised people tend to be adults.

I do think that in the main parents do keep check on their kids behaviour in social settings. Try walk into a bar any night of the week and see if every adult inside the place can act as well.

michael_bolton

:dog:I think this thread has shown what an aggressive, humourless bunch of people many parents are!

I deal with kids a lot because of my job, and don't hate kids outright. My career choice would have been bizarre indeed if that were the case.

However, I think they have no place in many public places, and also think that many people who have kids seem to have no idea how to control them or instill in them any sense of public decency.

I see this in my work and also in my "leisure" time.

Parenting licences, the way ahead. I'd fail, I'd be a dreadful parent. I know this so I won't inflict any offspring on the world, hopefully. People should think long and hard. :dog:

A Boy Named Crow
so can i ask...were you locked up until you were an acceptable age to go out in public? I don't totally disagree with your points I just think it is unreal to expect people not to take their children out! also, do you guys honestly think that because you are somewhere everyone should make life easier for you? there have been many times i have been somewhere trying to relax and adults have ruined it....wouldnt dream of saying those adults shouldnt be allowed out if cant behave!

by the way i don't have kids so i am not on the defensive

Thread isn't about kids' behaviour, it's about the adults who allow it.

Did you like 'Children of Men'? :laugh:

No, haven't seen it, looked rubbish!

I have a problem with people who go out to get coffee from coffee shops.

Skinny latte? Cappacino?

Pretentious pile of pish.

Smashing, don't go to coffee shops, your choice pal. Much like I would choose not to let selfish, ignorant parents ruin my day. Unfortunately they don't allow me the courtesy of a choice!

We were all kids once upon a time ya miserable barstewards!

I'd rather be sitting next to kids laughing/screaming/running about than some boring pretentious tosspot.

Hang out in play grounds then - just don't wear a dirty raincoat!!!

I think this thread has truely shown up the most miserable, self-centred, egotistical, selfish bunch of folk we have seen on JKB for a long time.

Well done to you all.

It'll be great to see how you get on with your own kids in the future. You obviously have it all worked out! LOL.

Spot on

I also find that the most uncivilised people tend to be adults.

I do think that in the main parents do keep check on their kids behaviour in social settings. Try walk into a bar any night of the week and see if every adult inside the place can act as well.

Much like I would choose not to let selfish, ignorant parents ruin my day. Unfortunately they don't allow me the courtesy of a choice!

But surely you do have a choice, you could just avoid the coffee shops if you hate it that much and go to restaurants which are geared more towards adults i.e. not McDonald's or a Brewer's Fair or whatever they get called right now

The Old Tolbooth

Thats a shame cos my kids think your cool, wait til I tell them, their ickle hearts will be broken ;)

A Boy Named Crow
But surely you do have a choice, you could just avoid the coffee shops if you hate it that much and go to restaurants which are geared more towards adults i.e. not McDonald's or a Brewer's Fair or whatever they get called right now

Brewers Fayre's are family pubs. To complain about weans there would be ridiculous. The problem is, there are precious few places an adult can go now without the distinct possibility of being disturdubed by a selfish, ignorant parent.

yvonnejambo

Personally that has rarely happened to me that I have been around somewhere that kids are just running wild and screaming in a coffee shop or restaurants but what does bug me if I am such a place and trying to chat with a mate, someone talking loudly on their mobile. That also goes for being on public transport, not everyone wants to hear your conversation.

Brewers Fayre's are family pubs. To complain about weans there would be ridiculous. The problem is, there are precious few places an adult can go now without the distinct possibility of being disturdubed by a selfish, ignorant parent.

That just comes back to my question from earlier which you refrained from answering though.

Is your solution to ban the kids or the parents from these places or what?

As i said before, there are things in the world that annoy all of us. These 'selfish ignorant parents' are not the only selfish or ignorant people in world.

Stop going out with your mum and dad then ;) (Just kidding)

Saying parents are ignorant is a gross generalisation. I would say that it is adults that are ignorant, whether they have bred or not. There's nothing worse than sitting in a coffee shop /restaurant with my 2 little girls behaving impeccably whilst some ignorant git is having a multi-decibillic conversation on his mobile phone. Or walking down the street whilst some asswipe who's not paying attention to where they're going barrels into you.

And as for the family section of the plane. I wouldn't. Once one kid starts other kids feed off of them, so instead of 1 or 2 kids being upset, you have about 10 all bawling at the same time putting out a greter number of decibels.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I dont have kids, but have nieces and nephews who are like all kids, they get bored easily etc so keeping them entertained is half the battle.

What does get on my thrupenny bits though is when you are on a plane and there is a kid behind you who constantly kicks the back of your seat - even after you glare at the wee bugger. Kids crying on planes, shouting etc is understandable when it is a long flight - but i wish to christ that some parents wouldn't let their youngsters boot the ****e out of my chair!

:evilno:

Romanov Stole My Pension
Kids should never be taken into bars etc. I have occassionally nipped in for a quick pint before the football with my wee boy, but thats about it. I hate it if you have bored youngsters sitting about the pub whilst their dads are getting steaming out their naggings. Sets a terrible example to their kids.

I am one for taking kids into restaurants and coffee shops though. If you have brought up your kids correctly, they will have the manners to sit and behave whilst mum and dad enjoy a coffee, or have dinner. I had mine's at an indian restaurant with me last night, and was actually complemented by the next table on how well behaved my 2 were at the table. I dont think you can tar every child with the same brush. If I had 2 horror children though I would not take them to restaurants with me, as the OP is right, other people's screaming kids in enclosed places are just annoying.

I remember a few times having to wait outside the Roseburn for my dad to have a few pints, absolute nightmare and boring as hell for a wee boy.

And as for the family section of the plane. I wouldn't. Once one kid starts other kids feed off of them, so instead of 1 or 2 kids being upset, you have about 10 all bawling at the same time putting out a greter number of decibels.

i understand the majority of your argument, and i am happy to admit i am NOT a child person, BUT

if people want to fly with kids, all kids, in my opinion, ought to be in the same area.

i see what cabin pressure does to a bottle and my ears pop too, so anyone flying with a child ought to be aware that its going to be uncomfortable for the wee ones.

that said i DO NOT want to spend any flight listening to them, and any flight other than perhaps domestic flights (and thats bad enough) everyone flying with kids ought to all be in the same area. if kids set each other off then too bad, but you must realise not everyone likes kids and even fewer people want to listen to them scream in what is already a tense situation.

i'm not a violent person, but i have wanted many times to slap an ignorant parent letting their kid run amok

its NOT the childs fault, it is almost without fail the parent who thinks its ok to inflict their wee darling on everyone else.

Doctor FinnBarr
I dont have kids, but have nieces and nephews who are like all kids, they get bored easily etc so keeping them entertained is half the battle.

What does get on my thrupenny bits though is when you are on a plane and there is a kid behind you who constantly kicks the back of your seat - even after you glare at the wee bugger. Kids crying on planes, shouting etc is understandable when it is a long flight - but i wish to christ that some parents wouldn't let their youngsters boot the ****e out of my chair!

:evilno:

Flying to Majorca last year from Newcastle I had Charlie sitting behind me. Daughter to the right watching whatever film was showing and feckin Charlie, kick kick kick, and parents who didn,t believe in chastising the child, instead just saying Charlie don,t. Gets to Palma, onto the bus to Alcudia and guess whose behind us, yep feckin Charlie again, and again kick kick kick.:evilno:

i understand the majority of your argument, and i am happy to admit i am NOT a child person, BUT

if people want to fly with kids, all kids, in my opinion, ought to be in the same area.

i see what cabin pressure does to a bottle and my ears pop too, so anyone flying with a child ought to be aware that its going to be uncomfortable for the wee ones.

that said i DO NOT want to spend any flight listening to them, and any flight other than perhaps domestic flights (and thats bad enough) everyone flying with kids ought to all be in the same area. if kids set each other off then too bad, but you must realise not everyone likes kids and even fewer people want to listen to them scream in what is already a tense situation.

i'm not a violent person, but i have wanted many times to slap an ignorant parent letting their kid run amok

its NOT the childs fault, it is almost without fail the parent who thinks its ok to inflict their wee darling on everyone else.

Who would you then make sit next to all these kids then?

As in in the rows directly behind them or in front of them.

Even if they are all together the noise will still be inflicted on those close by.

I would prefer to have one screaming kid near me than 5

Who would you then make sit next to all these kids then?

As in in the rows directly behind them or in front of them.

Even if they are all together the noise will still be inflicted on those close by.

I would prefer to have one screaming kid near me than 5

last to check in!

i always try and ask not to be sat near kids cos i have little tolerance for them, but people like my sister loves to play with them.

some people like kids, some people don't

therfore, some people don't mind being sat by them, and others do

CompleteIdiot

I believe that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside.

Sorry I didn't get my point across re the planes.

If you lump all the kids together when 1 starts bawling it don't matter how considerate the parents, the keeds will feed off of each other and you'll end up with a whole section of screaming kids.

And I'm a selfish barsteward, why should I have to put up with that when th chances are, my kids would sleep on the plane (they did all the way from London to Adelaide) and be pretty well behaved.

last to check in!

i always try and ask not to be sat near kids cos i have little tolerance for them, but people like my sister loves to play with them.

some people like kids, some people don't

therfore, some people don't mind being sat by them, and others do

That's fair enough i guess

It probably is a good idea, although I'm still not sure it would be entirely feasible - folk with kids checking in late and the likes.

Suppose it would be better for everyone if the people sat near them didn't actually mind kids, although i think things like them kicking backs of chairs annoys everyone - is just one of the situations where kids can't be taken away and calmed down.

CI you gotta stop quoting whitney lol

jedi, i don't doubt that some people DO make sure their kids behave, but people with kids don;t always look out for them. they let them run riot and cause mayhem, hell, even scream the house down, and when you pay as much for a holiday then everyone is entitled to a little peace and quiet.

i want everyone to be happy, and i've always been that way, but i also want to be happy myself, and that includes not having to argue with people too intent on drinking relaxing themselves rather than letting everyone else suffer while they lay back in their seat and let kids act like spoiled brats.

if its sporadic screaming or misbehaving and the parent looks like they are trying to calm them down or stop the misbehaviour then fair play, but to sit back and go "well, i'm relaxing now so tough" that is when i wanna go mental at them!

Stewart MacD
There is no reason why kids should not be in coffee shops, bars, restaraunts but when they are there the parents need to be responsible about it and have a bit of consideration for others. I have two boys and they know what is expected of them. If they have a spac attack about something they are talked to and if that doesn't work they are removed by my wife or I. After all nobody wants to hear a screaming kid when they are trying to enjoy a coffee/meal etc.

It ****es me off when parents take kids places and then don't give a flying **** about what they do or who they **** off when they are there. It always makes me wonder if they allow their kids to run riot in their own home.

I would not call a coffee shop an adult domain though or at least the ones I have been to. Are we talking about a coffee shop in amsterdam and it is ruining your ambience?

A very reasonable post. Just because we don't like screaming kids around a caf? or pub, doesn't mean we hate kids.

Of course people should bring their kids into the coffee shop

I like to read the paper in a coffee shop and don't like kids running around, yelling and bumping into things. However, it's not the kids' fault, but the parents who don't train them properly, or just let them run riot.

How to train the parents, that's the question. Oh for a "parenting licence"!

A very reasonable post. Just because we don't like screaming kids around a caf? or pub, doesn't mean we hate kids.

Of course people should bring their kids into the coffee shop

I like to read the paper in a coffee shop and don't like kids running around, yelling and bumping into things. However, it's not the kids' fault, but the parents who don't train them properly, or just let them run riot.

How to train the parents, that's the question. Oh for a "parenting licence"![/quote

if you want a parenting licence I suggest a move to rural china...! I understand the concept of a parenting licence but it would not work, in china they have the single child policy whereby you receive fines if you have children but many people in the rural areas cannot afford to pay the fines so end up selling their children to traffickers....I know we live in a different society but parenting licences will not stop people getting pregnant....would you be willing to hold them down and enforce an abortion :confused:?

"Parenting Licence".............hmm now that would be interesting !

Not wanting to suggest some 1984 scenario here, but isn't it odd that childless couples have to jump through hoops to satisfy the social services that they are 'fit for purpose' :P and yet Mr and Mrs ( :rolleyes: ) Joe public are simply allowed to do a self assessment and their off and running :sad:

yvonnejambo

I totally understand the getting kicked in back of chair scenario and that is very annoying, but again it can just as easy be an adult who doesn't give a feck and do that into the back of your chair. Also on planes yes listening to screaming kids doubt anyone wants to hear that including the parents of child. What about the extra loud adults on planes and especially the ones who are not all sitting next to each other so insist on shouting their stuff to ther mates 3 rows back. I really am sorry but I personally find many adults far more annoying than kids.

Also I wouldnt actually count myself as a kid person as I dont get all gooey eyed over babies/toddlers.

I work with teenagers and realise the hard time they get, yet adults doing the same things as children/young people seems acceptable. Double standards and we all get annoyed about people at some stage and often depending in our own temperment at that given time. I'm sure there should be times parents do not act responsibly but that is the minority and exactly the same could be said for adults without kids.

Maybe we should live and let live

Boaby Ewing

As an aside, it's not really a problem I ever really noticed while living in Edinburgh.

If I'm not mistaken the OP lives down south (as do I) and it's generally the Jeremy and Jemima crowd who are the worst for it.

Could quite easily be that I've just got grumpier as I've got older though :P

The original post was just silly. With the best will in the world, a parent can't always stop their child from misbehaving. It's annoying when you've got a child around you misbehaving, but if the parent's doing their best then that should be enough.

What's annoying's when you've got kids going mad around you and the parents don't seem to be doing anything to stop it - I'd totally agree with the OP on that one, but it doesn't seem to be what he's saying. What he seems to be saying's that there are just places where parents shouldn't be taking their kids - sorry, but that's a load of pish. When you have kids, it does mean that you need to take extra responsibility - what it doesn't mean is that you can never do things that you enjoy ever again.

As for the later comment about there being places "where kids shouldn't be taken", that's nonsense - there are places where you don't want to see kids, but they're allowed to go there so tough titties.

As an aside, it's not really a problem I ever really noticed while living in Edinburgh.

If I'm not mistaken the OP lives down south (as do I) and it's generally the Jeremy and Jemima crowd who are the worst for it.

Could quite easily be that I've just got grumpier as I've got older though :P

Hahaha

Excellent. Fortunately not too many of them up here (at the moment).

Coffee shops suck anyway, so not surprising that they attract "that sort" anyway. ;)

Walter Kidd
The original post was just silly. With the best will in the world, a parent can't always stop their child from misbehaving. It's annoying when you've got a child around you misbehaving, but if the parent's doing their best then that should be enough.

What's annoying's when you've got kids going mad around you and the parents don't seem to be doing anything to stop it - I'd totally agree with the OP on that one, but it doesn't seem to be what he's saying. What he seems to be saying's that there are just places where parents shouldn't be taking their kids - sorry, but that's a load of pish. When you have kids, it does mean that you need to take extra responsibility - what it doesn't mean is that you can never do things that you enjoy ever again.

As for the later comment about there being places "where kids shouldn't be taken", that's nonsense - there are places where you don't want to see kids, but they're allowed to go there so tough titties.

Well said mate, as for the people moaning about kids on planes. I don't like it that obese, illiterate people are allowed on planes. Can we have a separate area for them too?

Boaby Ewing
Hahaha

Excellent. Fortunately not too many of them up here (at the moment).

Coffee shops suck anyway, so not surprising that they attract "that sort" anyway. ;)

Ever since the ludicrous decision to include Cafe Nero in the smoking ban, coffee drinking has become a shameful thing I ican only indulge in at home :sad:

Or sometimes I take my hazelnut latte to the playpark where I can blow my smoke at toddlers.

Before anyone says, that reminds me of one of my favourite insults.

A good friend when we bumped into an old uni aquaintance at the pub, who was quite frankly, a bit of tw@t.

Mate: 'Did I not see you yesterday?'

Tw@t: 'I don't think so, no. Where?'

Mate: 'In the park, looking at kids.'

Archived